Linux-Networking Digest #698, Volume #10          Thu, 1 Apr 99 02:13:40 EST

Contents:
  Re: 3c509b not found in slackware 3.6 kernel 2.2.5 ("Todd Goyen")
  Re: Web-Browser on Sparc-Linux (Morely Dotes)
  Leafnode & Pine (Tom Elsesser)
  Re: Is Ether Express PRO/10+ (ISA) supported by RH Linux 4.1? (Morely Dotes)
  Re: PPP ERROR !!!! (Clifford Kite)
  Re: NFS help: RH5.2 i386 - RH5.2 Sparc (Louis LeBlanc)
  Re: Win terminal for Linux? (Stan Bischof)
  filenames with spaces.... (lisa)
  6 Days of Solutions for Network Admins, April 7-8 '99, Santa Clara, CA (Jennifer
Radtke)
  Re: what dail up program for X-windows? (. =?big5?B?dS0tpHNfX19fX19fX19fLw==?= .)
  3COM 3csoho100-tx driver ? (=?iso-8859-1?Q?Ra=DFid?= In Da Hat)
  Re: CONNECTING TO ISP WITH LINUX (dont spam me)
  Re: Web-Browser on Sparc-Linux ("Richard Van Fossan")
  Re: RH5.2 is driving me nuts! ("Scot E. Wilcoxon")
  Samba 2.0.3 and Win98: netlogon not working ("Robert Haxel")
  Re: Linux behind Proxy (microsoft) (Edward Lee)
  Re: 3c509b not found in slackware 3.6 kernel 2.2.5 ("Todd Goyen")
  Re: VPN with NT and Linux (Richard Pitt)
  Re: Automatic start Two Ethernet Card at boot time ???? (Sean Fancey)
  Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer (Dr Paul Kinsler)
  Re: Even With a Dynamic IP, Can I... (K Lee)
  urgent help! upgrade kernel (nico lai)

From: "Todd Goyen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.linux.slakware,alt.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: 3c509b not found in slackware 3.6 kernel 2.2.5
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 03:48:01 GMT

I have just run
ifconfig eth0
and it knows the irq which is now 3 and the ioport which is now 300
but just typing ifconfig still doesn't see it
any ideas?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Morely Dotes)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Web-Browser on Sparc-Linux
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 20:57:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>I'm looking for a Web-Browser that I can use on an Sparc Station 5 that is
>running on Sparc-Linux (Redhat 5.2).
>
>Is here anybody, who can give me a hint, what is the best one to use on
>such a system?
>The bad thing is that one can't compile Netscape by himself. :-((

Actually, Ralf, Netscape did go open-source about 9 months or a year ago,
though I no longer know where to look for the sources.

Barring that, however, Lynx will certainly let you navigate, even if you do
have to download the graphics manually.

--
 "Opt-out is a cop-out."  -  Jerry Bookter
 [ No "courtesy copies" via e-mail, please. ]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Elsesser)
Subject: Leafnode & Pine
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 03:46:57 GMT

Hi,
 I am trying to get Pine to recognize my local machine running
leafnode as the nntp server. Pine is looking for a .newsrc file, but
leafnode doesn't generate one AFAIK. I can't seem to figure the right
combination for Pine to do this. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,
--
Tom

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Morely Dotes)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Is Ether Express PRO/10+ (ISA) supported by RH Linux 4.1?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:06:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Sean Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Is the Intel Ether Express PRO/10+ (ISA) supported by RH
>Linux 4.1 (kernel 2.0.27)? The HOWTO says the Ether Express PRO/10
>is already included in the early 1.3.x kernels but I couldn't set it
>up on my system. I am wondering whether I should keep trying or buy
>a new card or upgrade the kernel.
>If this help, the card uses Intel S82595FX chip.

Sean, I think you need to walk down the hall and talk to Donald Becker
[ [EMAIL PROTECTED] ] who will know if there is such a driver and
may even have a copy.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Clifford Kite)
Crossposted-To: aus.computers.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PPP ERROR !!!!
Date: 31 Mar 1999 20:17:42 -0600

andylow ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

:     I'm facing this ppp problem, my dial up is working fine last time until
: last night when I try connect to the net, I was put off by this error.

: Apr  1 10:58:22 spider kernel: PPP line discipline registered.
: Apr  1 10:58:22 spider kernel: registered device ppp0
: Apr  1 10:58:22 spider pppd[1118]: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
: Apr  1 10:58:22 spider pppd[1118]: tcgetattr: Input/output error(5)
: Apr  1 10:58:23 spider pppd[1118]: Exit.

It means that some other process is using the modem's IRQ and preventing
pppd from getting the modem device file's ( /dev/ttySx, x = whatever )
attributes.  "cat /proc/interrupts" to find out what IRQs your devices
use.

--
Clifford Kite <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife. */

------------------------------

From: Louis LeBlanc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NFS help: RH5.2 i386 - RH5.2 Sparc
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:59:18 -0500

Just in case anyone is wondering, I think I found a solution.

In /etc/rc.d/rc5.d the startup sequence had the nfs drives mounting just
after the portmapper started.  Apparently the mounts were being attempted
before the portmapper was able to complete its initialization.  My solution
was to move the nfsfs script link from S15nfsfs to S45nfsf so that it
started after such daemons as random, syslog, atd, and cron.  None of these
daemons required the nfs mounts to run anyway.

Of course, if I ever switch to runlevel 3, this problem could pop back up,
so I just made the same changes in the other runlevel directories as well.

Hey! I really am learning a few things from Linux!

Lou

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stan Bischof)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Win terminal for Linux?
Date: 30 Mar 1999 21:22:04 GMT

Jeffrey Altman ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
: Kevin White  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: : Hi, I love using my linux box, but sometimes have to work on the other
: : boxes (Win95 or WinNT).  I would like to be able to do my linux "work"
: : (emacs, compiling, working with files that are on my linux box, etc.)
: : from the Win95 or NT box.  Is this possible?  Is this what a "terminal

On any Windows machine simply execute   telnet <your linux box's name>

Built-in and free.

Stan

------------------------------

From: lisa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: filenames with spaces....
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:30:51 GMT

hello!

I am trying to copy over all the databases from a Win95 machine to my new
Linux server here at work.  We have inhouse software that uses filenames with
spaces.  I seem to be having a problem connecting to a share on my Linux box
that I created using quotation marks.  "shared data"  Does Linux handle these
types of files differently than windows?  I am using RH5.2, Samba version
that came with it, everything is working perfectly, only I cannot figure this
out.  I can see the folder (since it's in the /etc/smb.conf as a share) and
it's really on the machine, but why can't I access it?  My machine has all
rights to the folder, I can access everything....what's up with this?

thanks for any help
lisa

Crossposted-To:
comp.org.acm,comp.org.decus,comp.org.ieee,comp.os.inferno,comp.os.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.security
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jennifer Radtke)
Subject: 6 Days of Solutions for Network Admins, April 7-8 '99, Santa Clara, CA
Date: Thu, 1 Apr 1999 00:44:48 GMT

Don't miss these USENIX/SAGE events for professional network
administrators.  Join us at the Marriott Hotel in Santa Clara, CA, for
intensive learning and sharing of solutions in network management.
CONFERENCE ON NETWORK ADMINISTRATION
Wednesday and Thursday, April 7-8, 1999
       Take advantage of expertise gained by years of varied and
       innovative work at sites of all sizes throughout the world.

NETWORKING TUTORIAL PROGRAM
Friday and Saturday, April 9-10, 1999
       Courses tailored to all levels of experience and spanning a wide
       range of interests.  Bring home skills you can use immediately.

WORKSHOP ON INTRUSION DETECTION AND NETWORK MONITORING
Sunday and Monday, April 11-12, 1999
       Meet and learn from the researchers and practitioners who are
       building the state of the art in techniques and technologies
       you need to maintain your network's security.

WEB SITE: http://www.usenix.org/events/networking99

Sponsored by USENIX, the Advanced Computing Systems Association, and
SAGE, the System Administrators Guild
The USENIX Association's international membership includes engineers,
scientists, and system/network administrators working on the cutting
edge of systems and software.  SAGE, a special technical group within
USENIX, is devoted to the advancement and recognition of system
administration as a profession.  USENIX and SAGE are co-sponsors of the
highly regarded annual LISA--System Administrators Conference.

------------------------------

From: . =?big5?B?dS0tpHNfX19fX19fX19fLw==?= . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: hk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: what dail up program for X-windows?
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:14:49 +0000

whywhys wrote:

> All,
>     Anyone can support any best PPP dail up program for X-windows?
>
> Thankx
> YYs

wvdial
no need to write scripts

--
      qp ____
      O[     \

------------------------------

From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Ra=DFid?= In Da Hat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.redhat
Subject: 3COM 3csoho100-tx driver ?
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:57:11 GMT

i am looking fer a 3COM 3csoho100-tx driver, if anyone knows of one of
has one could you send it too me or tell me where i can get it

tanx,

Raßid In Da Hat

------------------------------

From: dont spam me<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CONNECTING TO ISP WITH LINUX
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 21:49:40 GMT

On Mon, 29 Mar 1999 11:35:51 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Modem - Us Robotics Sportster
>SuSE ver 5.1
>
>When connecting to my isp, the line terminates a few seconds after  I connect
>with a message "ppd daemon died unexpectedly" I have written scripts like
>'expect' ogin.. send ...  but still not successful.  Can anyone please show
>me a tried and tested way of connecting without any hassle?
>
>Thanks

kppp work great on my computer no hassel for me.  my wife can even set
it up ( after I install it of corse :)

tng

------------------------------

From: "Richard Van Fossan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 13:55:42 -0800

If you check out one of the Linux newsgroups, I think you'll find out that
there is a version of Netscape Navigator that will compile under Linux. I
don't know if MS's UNIX version of IE will work on Sparc Linux.

Richard van Fossan
Microsoft Developer Support

------------------------------

From: "Scot E. Wilcoxon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH5.2 is driving me nuts!
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 19:16:07 -0600

> > Anyway, then I try to setup networking on a Red Hat machine... it has taken
> > me the WHOLE friggin week, just to figure out what they decided to rename
> > the networking files and how they split them up etc. etc. etc.  Nothing is
> > where it's supposed to be, and many times it's not even given the same name.

Try the "linuxconf" command.

Or log in as root and type "startx".  A button bar will
appear with various configuration tools.

------------------------------

From: "Robert Haxel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba 2.0.3 and Win98: netlogon not working
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 23:35:09 +0200

I have some problems with the Workgroup logon under Win98 to a Linux Samba
Server with SMB 2.0.3 running.
I can get the server with ordenary "Client for windows" and DHCP and DNS are
running perfectly.
Everytime I choose also "NT-Domain logon" , Windows pops up a message:
"Wrong parameter" (Ungültiger Parameter) and stops the netlogon.

Samba is domain master, preferred master, local master.

Please help me!!

------------------------------

From: Edward Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux behind Proxy (microsoft)
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 14:36:41 -0800

Yes, stay away from it.
Welcome to the alt.standard.M$.
You would be better off with a linux proxy if you could.

------------------------------

From: "Todd Goyen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 05:18:27 GMT

Thanks all
New version of dhcpcd works
now i get an ip but rrlogin isn't working so i will go look for some
documentation
Thanks
Todd

------------------------------

From: Richard Pitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VPN with NT and Linux
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 06:14:28 GMT

There has been some traffic on the fp-edge list about VPNs including
PPTP.

http://edge.fireplug.net

--
Richard C. Pitt                 FirePlug Computers Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            604-465-2666

------------------------------

From: Sean Fancey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Automatic start Two Ethernet Card at boot time ????
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 22:52:12 GMT

Add the following line (line 3) to your rc.inet1 file in the directory /etc/rc.d

# Uncomment the line below to configure your ethernet card.
/sbin/ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} broadcast ${BROADCAST} netmask ${NETMASK}
/sbin/ifconfig eth1 192.168.1.3 broadcast 192.168.1.255 netmask
255.255.255.0     << Add this

substitute your IP Address, Broadcast and Netmask

Sean

James Kei wrote:

> My Redhat 5.1 kernel find two ethernet card. But the configuration script
> only set eth0. So I have to manuel set the second by "ifconfig" command. How
> can set the second eth1 to be automatic start when the machine reboot???
> Please help??
>
> James Kei
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dr Paul Kinsler)
Subject: Re: Help me spend $2,000 on a new Linux-based computer
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 15:49:43 +0100 (BST)

In comp.os.linux.misc Richard Stovall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I've gotten used to an 20" SGI (Sony) monitor at work and find that
> I have a real hard time coming back to my weeny little 17" number
> at home.  Virtual desktops are cool and all that, but there's
> nothing like having it all there on one screen to make you a
> believer in the big ones.

Well, I use eight virtual desktops on my 21" monitor while at work,
so spare a thought for me using my low-res 14" monitor at home. :-/

--
==============================+==============================
Dr. Paul Kinsler

------------------------------

From: K Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Even With a Dynamic IP, Can I...
Date: 1 Apr 1999 06:19:22 GMT

Greg Weeks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: In article <7du73s$baq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:       K Lee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
: > set up a network in my own home?  What I mean is, can I setup a linux box
: > to act as a firewall and assign IP addresses using IP masquerading to
: > other NT, Windows and Linux boxes in my home?

: Yes. This is the standard use for IP Masq. You usually assign
: 192.168.x.x static addresses behind the firewall.

: > But more importantly, can I setup an mail server?  This part I don't think
: > is possible since the IP is dynamic.  But if you're sending mail from your
: > linux box at home under the condition mentioned above, but have the reply
: > address set to some other static ip'd e-mail address, that should work,
: > eh?

: You can set up a mail server. Depending on how dynamic your address is
: it may not be reliable. A cable modem or dsl where the address changes
: once in a blue moon, no problem. A dial-up account that changes once a
: day, maybe. An intermittent dial-up account, with severe
: restrictions.

yeah, i guess I should've mentioned that I use cable modem and my ip has
changed twice in the last year and a half which I had it for.

: The intermittent account will need some else to run the
: primary MX host. You can then use fetchmail to breing the mail inside
: the firewall. The only thing you HAVE to have is a name. There are
: services that provide names for dynamic IP's. I used to use ml.org and
: had the primary MX be my ISP. This was when I was on an intermittent
: dial-up account. Your ISP has to agree to to do this. It cost me $30
: every six months for this service in addition to the dial-up
: account. I'm on DSL now and do my own primary mail hosting. My IP is
: technicly dynamic, but hasn't changed in the six months I've been
: connected.

Thanks, Greg and the others who've replied to my post.  I want to avoid
paying for extra IP addresses to my cable modem ISP once I get 2 more
computers in my home.  With 2 girls and a wife, it's hard to compete for
computer time :)

I'll look more into it and do some mroe research, but you guys gave me a
good start.  Take care and I'm sure I'll end up bothering you guys again
about this in the future.

Steve

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: nico lai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: hk.comp.os.linux,tw.bbs.comp.linux
Subject: urgent help! upgrade kernel
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 12:39:23 +0800

Hello,
    After I upgrade the kernel to 2.2.5 and boot.
The PC will in "Finding module depencies" .

WHy? and how to solve it?

and what is the difference between choose [y] and [m], when I config the
kernel.?

thank you very much

nico.