From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SAMBA HELP!!
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 22:34:00 GMT

Here is the default smb.conf file.  It should be located in
/usr/doc/samba-x.x.x/examples/smb.conf.default.  I'm attaching the
default one.  All you need to do is rename it from smb.conf.default to
smb.conf.
--Nick

------------------------------

From: Kevin Ormbrek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Copying from CDROM to Samba
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 18:34:32 -0400

I thought the umask was anded with the original mode.  In that case you
can't change the file permissions when it goes into samba.  Why not just
do a recursive chmod?

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hey,
>
> has anyone tried copying files directly from a CDROM to Samba? I
> discovered that Samba tries to be "smart" and turns off teh "write"
> priveledges on the file despite the setting on my mask in smb.conf!
>
> Has anyone found a way around this?
>
> - Steve

Kevin      \|||/   [EMAIL PROTECTED] AOL:ombre42 ICQ:2517475
  Ormbrek  (o o)    http://www.kettering.edu/~ormb7576/
========oo0=(_)=0oo====================================================

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen J. Thompson)
Subject: Re: Looking to find ipmasqadm code
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:07:52 GMT

I managed to get it working. email me if you need to.

Regards,

Stephen.

------------------------------

From: Vincent Ridderikhoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I need to add a lot of users at once.
Date: 10 Jun 1999 11:08:22 GMT

I know that would be the sollutions, but sins passwd doesn't support
parameters but needs input from STDIN so I can't pass the password. If you
know of a way to pass the correct password in shell script or in perl script ,
please tell me , because I can seem to find it...

Thanks anyway,

Greetz Vncent...

:-))

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SAMBA HELP!! -->Here it is!!
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 22:34:52 GMT

==============1D49DF0DDC6A83AE4D409DDA

Oops.  forgot attach the file

Nicholas E Couchman wrote:

> Here is the default smb.conf file.  It should be located in
> /usr/doc/samba-x.x.x/examples/smb.conf.default.  I'm attaching the
> default one.  All you need to do is rename it from smb.conf.default to
> smb.conf.
> --Nick
>
> Admin wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > My smb.conf file is corrupted can anyone email the default(or edited)
> > smb.conf for RH6.0. This is located in /etc. Thanks,
> >
> > PS. Email it directly to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >
> > Thanks again.

==============1D49DF0DDC6A83AE4D409DDA

# This is the main Samba configuration file. You should read the
# smb.conf(5) manual page in order to understand the options listed
# here. Samba has a huge number of configurable options (perhaps too
# many!) most of which are not shown in this example
#
# Any line which starts with a ; (semi-colon) or a # (hash)
# is a comment and is ignored. In this example we will use a #
# for commentry and a ; for parts of the config file that you
# may wish to enable
#
# NOTE: Whenever you modify this file you should run the command "testparm"
# to check that you have not many any basic syntactic errors.
#
#======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]

# workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name, eg: REDHAT4
   workgroup = MYGROUP

# server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
   server string = Samba Server

# This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
# connections to machines which are on your local network. The
# following example restricts access to two C class networks and
# the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
# the smb.conf man page
;   hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2. 127.

# If you want to automatically load your printer list rather
# than setting them up individually then you'll need this
   load printers = yes

# you may wish to override the location of the printcap file
;   printcap name = /etc/printcap

# on SystemV system setting printcap name to lpstat should allow
# you to automatically obtain a printer list from the SystemV spool
# system
;   printcap name = lpstat

# It should not be necessary to specify the print system type unless
# it is non-standard. Currently supported print systems include:
# bsd, sysv, plp, lprng, aix, hpux, qnx
;   printing = bsd

# Uncomment this if you want a guest account, you must add this to /etc/passwd
# otherwise the user "nobody" is used
;  guest account = pcguest

# this tells Samba to use a separate log file for each machine
# that connects
   log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

# Put a capping on the size of the log files (in Kb).
   max log size = 50

# Security mode. Most people will want user level security. See
# security_level.txt for details.
   security = user
# Use password server option only with security = server
;   password server = <NT-Server-Name>

# You may wish to use password encryption. Please read
# ENCRYPTION.txt, Win95.txt and WinNT.txt in the Samba documentation.
# Do not enable this option unless you have read those documents
;  encrypt passwords = yes

# Using the following line enables you to customise your configuration
# on a per machine basis. The %m gets replaced with the netbios name
# of the machine that is connecting
;   include = /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf.%m

# Most people will find that this option gives better performance.
# See speed.txt and the manual pages for details
   socket options = TCP_NODELAY

# Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
# If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
# here. See the man page for details.
;   interfaces = 192.168.12.2/24 192.168.13.2/24

# Browser Control Options:
# set local master to no if you don't want Samba to become a master
# browser on your network. Otherwise the normal election rules apply
;   local master = no

# OS Level determines the precedence of this server in master browser
# elections. The default value should be reasonable
;   os level = 33

# Domain Master specifies Samba to be the Domain Master Browser. This
# allows Samba to collate browse lists between subnets. Don't use this
# if you already have a Windows NT domain controller doing this job
;   domain master = yes

# Preferred Master causes Samba to force a local browser election on startup
# and gives it a slightly higher chance of winning the election
;   preferred master = yes

# Use only if you have an NT server on your network that has been
# configured at install time to be a primary domain controller.
;   domain controller = <NT-Domain-Controller-SMBName>

# Enable this if you want Samba to be a domain logon server for
# Windows95 workstations.
;   domain logons = yes

# if you enable domain logons then you may want a per-machine or
# per user logon script
# run a specific logon batch file per workstation (machine)
;   logon script = %m.bat
# run a specific logon batch file per username
;   logon script = %U.bat

# Where to store roving profiles (only for Win95 and WinNT)
#        %L substitutes for this servers netbios name, %U is username
#        You must uncomment the [Profiles] share below
;   logon path = \\%L\Profiles\%U

# Windows Internet Name Serving Support Section:
# WINS Support - Tells the NMBD component of Samba to enable it's WINS Server
;   wins support = yes

# WINS Server - Tells the NMBD components of Samba to be a WINS Client
#       Note: Samba can be either a WINS Server, or a WINS Client, but NOT both
;   wins server = w.x.y.z

# WINS Proxy - Tells Samba to answer name resolution queries on
# behalf of a non WINS capable client, for this to work there must be
# at least one  WINS Server on the network. The default is NO.
;   wins proxy = yes

# DNS Proxy - tells Samba whether or not to try to resolve NetBIOS names
# via DNS nslookups. The built-in default for versions 1.9.17 is yes,
# this has been changed in version 1.9.18 to no.
   dns proxy = no

#============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[homes]
   comment = Home Directories
   browseable = no
   writable = yes

# Un-comment the following and create the netlogon directory for Domain Logons
; [netlogon]
;   comment = Network Logon Service
;   path = /usr/local/samba/lib/netlogon
;   guest ok = yes
;   writable = no
;   share modes = no

# Un-comment the following to provide a specific roving profile share
# the default is to use the user's home directory
;[Profiles]
;    path = /usr/local/samba/profiles
;    browseable = no
;    guest ok = yes

# NOTE: If you have a BSD-style print system there is no need to
# specifically define each individual printer
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /usr/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes

# This one is useful for people to share files
;[tmp]
;   comment = Temporary file space
;   path = /tmp
;   read only = no
;   public = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, but read only, except for people in
# the "staff" group
;[public]
;   comment = Public Stuff
;   path = /home/samba
;   public = yes
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no
;   write list = @staff

# Other examples.
#
# A private printer, usable only by fred. Spool data will be placed in fred's
# home directory. Note that fred must have write access to the spool directory,
# wherever it is.
;[fredsprn]
;   comment = Fred's Printer
;   valid users = fred
;   path = /homes/fred
;   printer = freds_printer
;   public = no
;   writable = no
;   printable = yes

# A private directory, usable only by fred. Note that fred requires write
# access to the directory.
;[fredsdir]
;   comment = Fred's Service
;   path = /usr/somewhere/private
;   valid users = fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no

# a service which has a different directory for each machine that connects
# this allows you to tailor configurations to incoming machines. You could
# also use the %U option to tailor it by user name.
# The %m gets replaced with the machine name that is connecting.
;[pchome]
;  comment = PC Directories
;  path = /usr/pc/%m
;  public = no
;  writable = yes

# A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that all files
# created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
# any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
# directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of course
# be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user instead.
;[public]
;   path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
;   public = yes
;   only guest = yes
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no

# The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that two
# users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users. In this
# setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
# sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended to
# as many users as required.
;[myshare]
;   comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
;   path = /usr/somewhere/shared
;   valid users = mary fred
;   public = no
;   writable = yes
;   printable = no
;   create mask = 0765

From: Erhard Wais <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: rexecd on RedHat
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:33:55 +0200

Janet Jen wrote:

> Hi,
>     Does anyone ever make rexec work on Red Hat Linux? I uncommented
> the 'exec' line in inetd.conf and sent signal to inetd.
>
>     But when I tried it, the rexecd does not seem to respond.
>
>     Any ideas or comments

yes, we use it on redhat 5.1 and 5.2
We have placed rexecd  in the directory /local/bin.
Edit the file /etc/inetd.conf, uncomment the exec line and set as:

exec    stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd
/local/bin/rexecd

and then relaunch inetd with:  `killall -HUP inetd`

------------------------------

From: Stephane Boisson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Pump and DHCP lease renewal
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:27:26 GMT

I installed RedHat 6/i386  and all worked well for me with a recompiled
kernel + DHCP as a client and as a server (no relay) +
intranet DNS + masquerading + ipchains.
But I am experimenting some strange problems which seems to appear when
the lease period is renewed: pump freeze.. even the shuting down of the
NIC is hand when I do a 'halt' or 'reboot'.
This is only a problem at shutdown or when I use pump to get some
informations..
I still have an IP address and outside traffic works..

I updated both the Kernel and the Pump package from RedHat..

Does someone have a clue about this?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: HellNo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: --[ NT RAS and linux ]--
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:55:17 GMT

anyone?

In article <7jmdrd$s3r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  HellNo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> A simple question but maybe not such a simple answer...
>
> Q: Can an NT RAS box validate a Linux box dialing in to it and can
> Linux handle dial back?
>
> Any clues?
>
> --
> HellNo
> e-mail:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> ICQ:  21535717

HellNo
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ:    21535717

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: David Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Linux & Cybercafe
Date: 09 Jun 1999 15:19:42 +0100

Maurice Kemmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> MicroNg schrieb:

> > however, how to limit the access that so the user can only access the
> > browser but NOT any other
> > program ? ( to access other program, for eg for the webmaster to shutdown
> > the computer, an passcode
> > is required).

> You can configure the windowmanager without any xterm. So the users are
> not able to start any other program. On the desktop you offer only the
> browser. Login should be via xdm !
> That's it i think !

That it itself probably wont work, just put in netscape

telnet://localhost

and it will open an xterm running the telnet session, from which they
would then be able to start other programs.

David

--
The superior man understands what is right;
the inferior man understands what will sell.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Drake Christensen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Delaying eth1 Initialization
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 23:04:53 GMT

I guess there's more than one printing of that manual.  Those lines were
on pp. 293-294 of my manual.

Anyway, here's the sequence of events I went through:

Started with the following in conf.modules
=====
alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options eth0 io=0x280 irq=10
options eth1 io=0x300 irq=15
=====

Left those in and added the following to lilo.conf
=====
append = "ether=10,0x280,eth0 ether=15,0x300,eth1"
=====

No change, eth0 was detected and eth1 was not.

In http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/misc/multicard.html they have a
different syntax for the options line.  I decided to try that.  So I
removed the lilo.conf line and changed conf.modules to the following:
=====
alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x280,0x300 irq=10,15
=====

And that worked!  eth1 is detected on boot-up and is seen in ifconfig.
Whew!  It sure is hard to figure out how Linux wants to be told about its
hardware.

And for my next trick, I get to learn the common pitfalls in IP
Masquerading :-)

Thanx, everyone, for your help.  It looks like it just took perseverance
and trial-and-error.

Drake

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] says...

------------------------------

From: Uwe Homm <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: INN and a list of newsgroups
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:32:52 +0200

thanks...that solves my problem.

i wondered me that i couldn't start the prog as root. it can be started
only as user news...

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Uwe Homm

------------------------------

From: "Chitla Sudhir" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Default Gateway
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:15:15 +0530

=======_NextPart_000_0036_01BEB35C.6C74A720

hi all,
=20
I 've three NICs in my machine and are with Specific IPs.=20
I'm running Squid Proxy to enable accessing Internet from the LAN. But =
as a default gateway I was able to give either on of the Lease IP.=20
=20
If one lease circuit is down, then I need to manually change the gateway =
IP and access the Internet. Is there any way by which I can check the =
link status and route the data as needed ?=20
=20
More over how can I make the linux box to take care about the Load =
balancing on both the networks ?=20
=20
pl. guide me on this.
=20
Thanks in advance,
=20
-Chitla.

=======_NextPart_000_0036_01BEB35C.6C74A720

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT size=3D3>hi all,</FONT></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D3></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT size=3D3></FONT></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT size=3D3>I 've three NICs in my machine =
and are=20
with Specific IPs. </FONT></FONT><FONT size=3D3></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT size=3D3></FONT></FONT><FONT =
size=3D3><FONT=20
color=3D#000000>I'm running Squid Proxy to enable accessing Internet =
from the LAN.=20
But as a default gateway I was able to give either on of the Lease IP.=20
</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><FONT color=3D#000000></FONT></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3><FONT color=3D#000000>If one lease circuit is down, =
then I need=20
to manually change the gateway IP and access the Internet. Is there any =
way by=20
which I can check the link status and route the data as needed ?=20
</FONT></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT size=3D3></FONT></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT size=3D3>More over how can I make the =
linux box to=20
take care about the Load balancing on both the networks ? =
</FONT></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D3></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000><FONT size=3D3></FONT></FONT><FONT=20
size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3>pl. guide me on this.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3>Thanks in advance,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"" size=3D3>-Chitla.</FONT></DIV></DIV></BODY></HTML>

From: Thomann KH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb,linux.samba,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Time corrupted using Samba
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:33:04 +0200

Hello everybody,

I use Suse Linux 6.1 combined with an NT 4.0-Server.
I can print and mount the directory of the NTserver.
The problem is that all file and directory dates seen from Linux on the
NT-server are
completly nonsense, and alle files I write from Linux to the server get
a date that is nonsense
seen from NT too.
I know that this worked on Samba 1.9X, but since we updated to Samba
2.0.3-13, this problem occured.

I hope there is someone out who can help me, because I found nothing
about this in
the net, and I tried !!

Any help would be greatly appreceated!

--
=====================================
I  Karl-Heinz Thomann               I

------------------------------

From: "Chris Petzny" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: ipchains and MS Netmeeting
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:38:24 +0100

Hi,

    for a while now we have been running IP masquerading on our Linux box to
get the office access to the internet. All controlled through ipchains. We'd
like to communicate with MS Netmeeting, however, although others can see our
video and audio, we can't receive theirs. I was wondering if there is a
certain port I need to free up, or if there's a kernel module that needs to
be loaded ( a la CUSeeMe).

Current kernel: 2.2.0 running on RedHat 5.0 I can send the ipchains -L
output if anybody needs it...

Hope you can help,
Chris.

------------------------------

From: Joerg Fasolack <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Multiple interfaces problem on clusternodes
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:05:44 +0200

Hi there,
I have a problem with the configuration of some
clusternodes running SuSE 6.0 Linux.

There are two types of nodes:
  - Asus T2P4D Dual Pentium, with
      - IBM TokenRing 16 Mbit (ISA),
      - DEC FDDI DAS controller (EISA),
      - 100 Mbit Ethernet, either DEC 21140 (PCI), and/or
                                  i82557 (PCI)
  - Gigabyte 586DX Dual Pentium, with
      - IBM TokenRing 16 Mbit (ISA),
      - SMC Ultra, 10 Mbit Ethernet (ISA),
      - 100 Mbit Ethernet, either DEC 21140 (PCI), or
                                  i82557 (PCI)
The kernels are 2.1.13x or 2.2.x, TokenRing is compiled as
a module, FDDI included in the kernel, the Ethernet drivers
are modules too. They are loaded by kerneld and configured up.
TokenRing and FDDI are working fine, Ethernet not at all.

Is there a similar (working) configuration, or is there
a limitation in either the kernel or the networking stuff?

Any hints welcome...

Joerg Fasolack
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Brad Fisher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSE 6.1 Network problem: what is 'arp'?
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 15:28:22 -0700

Sounds like a cable problem. are you using straight through cat 5
cables and a hub? If you're running one cable straight from one
NIC to the other, you'll need a cross-over cable.

--
Bradley W. Fisher
SSG/ITSS DNS/DHCP/SMTP Support

------------------------------

From: Ilan Finci <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: diald problem
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:25:47 +0000

==============D05369A87ADC917B48C27A10

Hi,
We have a small netwark of 2 computers (ethernet between them) that
connect to the out side world using a modem installed in one of them
(A).  the second computer (B) has its default gateway set to be the
first computer (A) and I have setup ppp on A and everything is working.
The problem is that currently each user that want to connect out has to
check if someone is already connected and then, if not, he has to login
as root to computer A and initiate the ppp connection.

To solve this problem I'm trying to set up diald. I read the HOWTO and
the man page, and got it set almost completely.

When someone on A tries to connect - the diald activates the ppp and I
get connected and everything is fine. I can use the Internet from both
machines.

If someone on B tries to connect (when the connection is down) then the
diald starts the ppp (as should be) and the compures get connected (I
see the ppp0 connection). From computer A everything works fine, but
from computer B I cannot use domain names, only IP adresses. It seems
that only in this  situation I cannot connect to the DNS (which is
external).  The DNS connection works fine for computer A, and for
computer B when I use regulat ppp of computer A inisiated the
connection).

Can anyone please point me in the direction of the problem please?

I'm using RH 6.0 and kernel 2.2.5-15.

Thanks in advance,
Ilan Finci
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
==============D05369A87ADC917B48C27A10

begin:vcard
n:Finci;Ilan
tel;fax:+972-2-5867720
tel;work:+972-2-5866989
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:MobilEye Vision Technologies LTD.
adr:;;24 Mishol Hadkalim ;Jerusalem;;97427;Israel
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-cpt:;5216
fn:Ilan Finci