Linux-Networking Digest #482, Volume #11         Thu, 10 Jun 99 13:13:44 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Time corrupted using Samba (Monte Phillips)
  Re: linux <--> win98 via network (Monte Phillips)
  Re: What NIC to buy for Linux machine? (Monte Phillips)
  Re: Time corrupted using Samba (Thomann KH)
  Re: Delaying eth1 Initialization ("Matthew J. Hellman")
  radvd-0.4.2 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  HP 697C. Need help configuring. (Denis)
  Re: Telnet again (Thomas Zajic)
  Re: DNEWS 5.0 News Server Mthly Pointer to FAQ (Joe Greco)
  Re: Time corrupted using Samba (Horst Epp)
  Re: Time corrupted using Samba (Thomann KH)
  What is listening on Port "1", Protocol "RAW"? (RDO) ("Capt. Tuttle")
  WAN cards(T-1, Frame, ATM, etc.) under Linux (mordecaii)
  Re: How to create RPM Package ("Stephan Beal")
  Re: diald dying! (Gyepi Sam)
  Re: bogus "mount error: Invalid argument" from smbmount? (Thomann KH)
  Network printer always print trailer page (Wilson Lam)
  Netscape / proxy q ("David Eno")
  WWW and Mail Ok an home LAN but no usenet access ("Hoyt")
  Re: Linux can't be a big role...???!!! (Frank)
  Re: pppd almost but not quite (Clifford Kite)
  squid and e-mail (Thomas Strauss)
  Re: pppd doesn't work (Clifford Kite)
  IP Adresses ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Gurus: PPP, 2.2 kernels, and Ricochet modems working wierd (Chris Kacoroski)
  Re: dialin routing problem (Frank)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb,linux.samba,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Time corrupted using Samba
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:52:14 GMT

Make sure the following two line are in the {GLOBAL] section of
smb.conf
dos filetimes = Yes
dos filetime resolution = Yes

g'luk
On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:33:04 +0200, Thomann KH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Subject: Re: linux <--> win98 via network
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:35:47 GMT

This site has a step by step howto for complete setup of samba.  steps
for both linux and the win machine.  (and they really work <G>)
http://www.sfu.ca/~yzhang/linux/samba/index.html

g'Luk>

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Subject: Re: What NIC to buy for Linux machine?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:37:31 GMT

I am running Linksys and 3comm cards and have no probs

g'Luk

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 05:10:41 GMT, Jonathan Johnson (>>
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Thomann KH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb,linux.samba,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:32:43 +0200

Monte Phillips wrote:

> Make sure the following two line are in the {GLOBAL] section of
> smb.conf
> dos filetimes = Yes
> dos filetime resolution = Yes
>
> g'luk
> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:33:04 +0200, Thomann KH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:

tried it, but didn't work.
Also I tried both with =True
but the problem still exists.

--
=====================================
I  Karl-Heinz Thomann               I

------------------------------

From: "Matthew J. Hellman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Delaying eth1 Initialization
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:36:46 -0500

just an FYI, I just installed RedHat 6 using two 3c905b cards and didn't
have to do anything special to get the second card working [other than
go into linuxconf and enable the card].
Matt

--
** To reply, remove all uppercase letters from email address

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs,
even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor
spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in
the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
        --Theodore Roosevelt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: radvd-0.4.2
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:17:50 GMT

Hello all.
I would like to know how can
configure the radvd-0.4.2.
Thans Luca

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Denis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HP 697C. Need help configuring.
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:22:01 -0400

Can anybody who configured HP 697C (or another HP DeskJet) for RH5.1
point me to the (preferably step by step) configuration procodure for
such a printer?
Thank you.
Denis

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Zajic)
Crossposted-To: force9.tech.linux
Subject: Re: Telnet again
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:53:59 GMT

On 31 May 1999 17:30:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hugh Saunders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I got there at about 5 this morning!
> > What I don't understand is: although stopping people from logging in as root
> > is probably a security measure, why is it any more secure to let me log in
> > as a user and su?
>
> Two reasons:
> One: It means that someone has to comprimise two accounts on your box,
> both a user account and the root account.
> [ ... ]

Why? su only asks for the userīs password, so if I manage to login as a user
(knowing this userīs password) who is su-to-root-authorized, Iīve already won.
No need to additionally crack root, or is there?

Thomas
--
=---        Thomas Zajic aka ZlatkO ThE GoDFatheR, Vienna/Austria        ---=
=--   "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw." M.C.   --=

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Greco)
Crossposted-To:
news.software.nntp,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows
Subject: Re: DNEWS 5.0 News Server Mthly Pointer to FAQ
Date: 9 Jun 1999 13:36:21 -0500

In news.software.nntp article <I9v73.43$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Horwath) wrote:
:In news.software.nntp Stephen Pugmire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:: Database : DNEWS incorporates a database specifically
::              designed for News, enabling DNEWS to handle full news feeds
::              more efficiently and faster than other news server software.
:
:Really?
:
:DNEWS can outrun Cyclone and Typhoon now?

Don't forget Diablo.  I've seen Diablo suck ~1000 articles per second into
an empty spool.  And I think it was being limited by the ethernet switch.

:: Scalability: Designed for high scalability DNEWS design will
::      handle 0-60 Gig news spools most efficiently.
:
:Eeek, we have 128GB right now.  Guess DNEWS is not for us. :)

Heh, my transit spools are ~72GB.  I'd have to guess that he meant 0-60
terabytes.  Otherwise I'm not sure what "high scalability" means since
I don't think I have _any_ spools less than 60GB.

Oh, wait, my overview spools are only 36GB.

... JG

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Horst Epp)
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb,linux.samba,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 10 Jun 1999 12:53:55 GMT

Thomann KH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Hello everybody,

 I use Suse Linux 6.1 combined with an NT 4.0-Server.
 I can print and mount the directory of the NTserver.
 The problem is that all file and directory dates seen from Linux on the
 NT-server are
 completly nonsense, and alle files I write from Linux to the server get
 a date that is nonsense
 seen from NT too.

Die Zeitzonen in Linux und NT stimmen wahrscheinlich nicht ueberein
bzw. sind unsinnig gesetzt.

------------------------------

From: Thomann KH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:49:51 +0200

"C.E.O." wrote:

> I am seeing the same problem.  It all started when upgrading from redhat 5.2
> to 6.0.
> The timestamps for files touched by samba are all really wrong (i.e.
> may-8-1931, etc).

Yes,  seems to be the same problem.

 I found that the file dates are ok when using smbclient to show the dirs on
the server.
But I know no way to mount the dir in the Linux tree using smbclient.!!
So I have to use smbmount...which corrupts the dates ?

--
=====================================

From: "Capt. Tuttle" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: What is listening on Port "1", Protocol "RAW"? (RDO)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:54:36 GMT

Hi,

I am preparing a RedHat 5.2 box to offer just a couple of limited
services on the Internet.  While looking at "netstat -an" to see what is
being offered on the network, I noticed that something was listening on
port #1, Protocol "RAW".  What is this?  Do I need to take any security
precautions?

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: mordecaii <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WAN cards(T-1, Frame, ATM, etc.) under Linux
Date: 10 Jun 1999 14:31:20 GMT

What are the recommended cards for Wide Area Networking? I saw the products
at www.sangoma.com and they seemed good and had drivers. But I want real
user experinces with WAN cards(internal cards).

Thank you.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "Stephan Beal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to create RPM Package
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:58:01 +0200

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/RPM-HOWTO.html

From: Gyepi Sam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: diald dying!
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 11:34:11 -0400

Upgrade to diald-0.16-5 or ,better yet, diald-0.98.2.  I don't think the
problem was ever explicitly solved, but it appears to have
disappeared,unpun, from the newer versions.

Gyepi

------------------------------

From: Thomann KH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: bogus "mount error: Invalid argument" from smbmount?
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:56:56 +0200

Stephan Beal wrote:

> I have a slight problem w/ smbmount:
> I used to be able to use the following line to mount an NT share on my Linux
> machine:
>
> smbmount //pdcweb/webshare /mnt/webshare -C -U sbeal -P [MyPassword] -D
> [mydomain]

I think you should update samba, because youre version 1.9X (right?) isn't
compatible with your
kernel version 2.2X, so you should get 2.0X.
Then read the smbmount man page, syntax has changed !!
Hope this helps !!

--
=====================================
I  Karl-Heinz Thomann               I

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:32:13 +0800
From: Wilson Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Network printer always print trailer page

Hi,
I have a network printer HP4v (using IP address) attached to our
network and the printcap:
##PRINTTOOL3## REMOTE laserjet 300x300 letter {} LaserJet Default {}
hp4v:\
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
 :mx#0:\
 :sh:\
 :rm=192.168.1.200:\
 :rp=hp4v:\
 :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter:

It works but print a trailer page with just:
User: xxx
Host: xxxx.domain.com
Class: xxxx.domain.com
Job: testpag.ps

How to suppress it?

With similar setting for SMB and in printcap:
##PRINTTOOL3## SMB laserjet 300x300 a4 {} LaserJet Default {}
hp6p:\
 :sd=/var/spool/lpd/hp6p:\
 :mx#0:\
 :sh:\
 :if=/var/spool/lpd/hp6p/filter:\
 :af=/var/spool/lpd/hp6p/acct:\
 :lp=/dev/null:

then there is NO trailer page ejected.

Wilson Lam

------------------------------

From: "David Eno" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Netscape / proxy q
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:24:35 GMT

I'm trying to run Netscape on a Red Hat 5.2 box that's connected to our NT 4
network running MS Proxy v 1.

I set the obvious proxy settings in Netscape.  When I try to go to a site,
the messages '(site) contacted. Waithing for reply' and 'connecting to
(proxy IP)' flash back and forth repeatedly at the bottom the the screen.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

TIA
--
Dave E.

------------------------------

From: "Hoyt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: WWW and Mail Ok an home LAN but no usenet access
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 12:01:26 -0400

I am having some difficulties with my home LAN.

The dial-up connection is shared by a Linux box using RH 5.2 with ip =
masquerading compiled in the kernel and using ipfwadm.

The problem is this:

While both Linux and MS workstations can browse the internet and access =
mail, none can connect to any news server. Since this behavior occurs =
under both OS's, I suspect a config problem with the Linux server.

Where should I look and what should I look for?

Hoyt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux can't be a big role...???!!!
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:31:48 +0200

SNIP

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: pppd almost but not quite
Date: 10 Jun 1999 10:46:08 -0500

Clifford Kite (kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com) wrote:

: Better:

: REPORT CONNECT
: TIMEOUT 3
: ABORT BUSY
: "" ATZ
: TIMEOUT 45
: OK ATDT 95269100
: CONNECT \c

Argh.  I *think* you also need to use

OK ATDT95269100

or quote:

OK "ATDT 95269100"

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* The signal-to-noise ratio is too low in many [news] groups to make

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:56:32 +0200
From: Thomas Strauss <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: squid and e-mail

i have a suse 6.1 running on a pentium 333. this box has two interfaces.
one is tokenring, the other isdn to my isp. i set up the squid proxy for
my lan attached pc's. when a client requests an url the connection to
the isp will be automaticliy established. everything works fine but
e-mail. when i use my browser to request my e-mail from my isp i get the
message that my mail host in not known. any hints ?
thomas

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: pppd doesn't work
Date: 10 Jun 1999 11:03:24 -0500

Jack Zhu ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I used Redhat 5.0(Kernel 2.0.32) + pppd 2.2.0 to dialup to my ISP. It works
: well. Then I upgrade kernel to 2.2.1, obviously it doesn't work with pppd
: 2.2.0. (This point is very hard to be found in these Kernel documents). So I

Nope.  It's in the Changes file that is required reading for every
kernel upgrade.  There are other necessary software upgrades named in
that file too.

: also upgrade my pppd to 2.3.6 by following the instructions.

: The nightmare is: I use the same scripts, same configuration and same dialup

I don't think so.

: number. This time the combination of kernel and pppd doesn't work. When I
: try to call "pppd", the error message is:

: "/usr/sbin/pppd: peer authentication required, but no suitable secret(s)
: found
:  /usr/sbin/pppd: for authenticating any peer to us.(abc)"

: "abc" is my logname to my ISP.

You are requiring the ISP to authenticate itself to you; it's not likely
to do this.  You have a pppd option +pap, require-pap, or auth - any one
of which will cause pppd to require ISP authentication.  man pppd .

: Why this happen? I do have a pap-secret file, and everything works just well
: in the earlier version.

: Actually, the funny thing is: when I just run "pppd", the same error message
: still comes.

One of the three options is in a configuration file then, along with
other options necessary to get to the authentication stage of PPP link
negotiations.  The most common configuration file is /etc/ppp/options
but man pppd has a full list.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* Microsoft is a great marketing organization.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: IP Adresses
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 14:17:17 GMT

Hello i'm running Suse Linux 6.0

I need to setup a dns server (no problem)

My problem is i don't know how i can add more ip addresses !
I've only the base ip Adress of my server.

Can anyone help me ?

Ciao,
Joe

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Chris Kacoroski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Gurus: PPP, 2.2 kernels, and Ricochet modems working wierd
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:00:41 -0700

Hi,

I have a ricochet modem that works fine with 1.3.x kernels (redhat 5.2,
etc.) and NT.  With the 2.2.x kernels (redhat 6.0) it connects, dns
works, traceroute works, and ping works, but nothing else.  See below
for some more background info.  Appreciate any help or clues as to how
to fix this.

thanks

ski

====================================
I have the ppp connection that will not allow any services to work, but
does allow ping and traceroute to work.  I have redhat 6.0.  I ran
tcpdump and got

[root@ski /root]# !tcp
tcpdump -i ppp0
tcpdump: listening on ppp0

My address is 206.253.200.54.  I entered ftp ftp.scenicsoft.com and it
checks the DNS to get the ip address of the ftp site.

17:13:56.546063 206.253.200.54.1027 > 168.253.48.19.domain: 65107+ A?
ftp.scenicsoft.com. (36)
17:13:57.087508 168.253.48.19.domain > 206.253.200.54.1027: 65107 1/4/2
(198) (DF)

It then starts the ftp connection.

17:13:57.088387 206.253.200.54.1046 > 192.67.96.5.ftp: S
1278992700:1278992700(0) win 32120 <mss 1460,sackOK,timestamp 175405
0,nop,wscale 0> (DF)

and I get a reply from the ftp machine.

17:13:57.487511 192.67.96.5.ftp > 206.253.200.54.1046: S
488046:488046(0) ack 1278992701 win 8760 <mss 1460> (DF)
17:13:57.497561 206.253.200.54.1046 > 192.67.96.5.ftp: . ack 1 win 32120
(DF)

at this point it printed that it was connected to ftp.scenicsoft.com,
but then
it hung.  I did not get an ftp prompt. I then killed the ftp process and
it printed the lines below.

17:14:09.583929 206.253.200.54.1046 > 192.67.96.5.ftp: F 1:1(0) ack 1
win 32120 (DF) [tos 0x10]
17:14:09.947509 192.67.96.5.ftp > 206.253.200.54.1046: F 80:80(0) ack 2
win 8760 (DF)
17:14:09.957589 206.253.200.54.1046 > 192.67.96.5.ftp: R
1278992702:1278992702(0) win 0

====================================

Eric Livingston wrote:
> =

> |I have the ppp connection that will not allow any services to work, bu=
> |does allow ping and traceroute to work.  I have redhat 6.0.  I ran
> |tcpdump and got
> =

> I am getting the exact same behaviour. I really think this is a problem=
 with
> the 2.2.x kernel!
> =

> I recently (and foolishly) took my old, reliable RH5.1 box (w/2.0.36 on=
 it)
> and blew it away completely, in order to "upgrade" to Caldera OpenLinux=
 2.2
> to see what it was about (it ships with 2.2.5). I immediately got the
> problem described in detail in the previous message above. I even tried=
 the
> same tcpdump routine on my own and got the exact same behaviour from pi=
ng
> and ftp.
> =

> So, I figured it must be Caldera and this was some kind of punishment f=
or
> switching distributions. So, I blew that away and installed a brand-spa=
nking
> new copy of RH6.0. (Not, however, before trying to recompile the 2.2.5
> kernel with minimal options to see if that helped - it didn't)
> =

> I proceeded to get the exact same problem. This issue goes beyond Red H=
at:
> This problem is shared by at least Caldera's 2.2.5 release.
> =

> I am now (as I type) in the process of compiling 2.2.9, and I'm hoping =
it
> may solve this problem. If not, I really do think something is amiss.
> =

> IMPORTANT NOTE: I know it's not merely a configuration issue with pppd =
or
> ipchains or something, because I have another modem that works perfectl=
y on
> the same serial port as the errant modem (which worked great with 2.0.3=
6).
> In fact, I'm using that other modem for my (masqueraded) session right =
now
> to write and send this e-mail. So the basic setup of my system is quite=

> functional. It's just that some modems seem to simply fail with the new=

> kernel.
> =

> I REALLY hope there's a solution soon, or 2.2.9 saves my day... it won'=
t be
> another week before I can't wait any longer and I'll have to blow away =
RH6.0
> and regress to 5.2 in order to get this functionality back... the faili=
ng
> modem is a wireless that is my only connectivity right now on my client=

> site...
> =

> Thanks,
> Eric
-- =

"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it =

 connected to the entire universe"            John Muir

Chris "Ski" Kacoroski  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  425-355-6655=A0=A0=A0
ScenicSoft, 1133 164 Street SW, Lynnwood WA, 98037, USA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank)
Subject: Re: dialin routing problem
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:51:59 +0200

[This followup was posted to comp.os.linux.networking and a copy was sent
to the cited author.]

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> On Tue, 8 Jun 1999 15:54:05 +0200, Frank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >So is there a way to have the proxy arping and forwarding enabled for the
> >ppp0 per default? Where do I configure that?
>
> /etc/ppp/options
>
> man pppd # for details

no, thats wrong

you can enable proxyarp in pppd but this will be useless if you dont
 echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/proxy_arp with the 2.2.5 kernel

Frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:34:38 +0200

SNIP
> At the moment though, people want to point and click and make it happen,
> they don't care who/why or what made it happen.

SNIP

and thats what people should expect from an OS or
do you exactly know (and care!) how the electronic fuel injection
in your car works?

Frank

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:48:49 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:46:55 GMT, in article
> <P3K73.1416$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (Jeremiah) wrote:
>
> >     Heh heh... yeah, right.  MS gets away with it for a couple
> >reasons:  a) they foist the support off onto OEMs, b) generally,
> >clueless Windows users know someone more knowledgeable than themselves
> >who can help them, and c) if things really go wrong, in some cases all
> >you can do is reinstall from scratch (or buy a new computer).  I know two
> >people who (within the last month) had to reinstall Windows from scratch;
> >one bought a new computer because the old one was completely messed up.
> >(I tend to think b) is the most important of these... )
> >     Having been witness to a few people who are brand new to
> >computers (I mean literally brand new), I conclude that most people do
> >not find Windows (and computers in general) "easy".
> >

> >>  Anyone with just very basic skills and not any in-depth technical
> >> knowledge can install and configure Windows with just a little trial
> >> and error, maybe.
> >
> >     Yeah, right.  Dream on.
>
> Just to clarify this, we need to specify who a typical user is, too.  I say
> it's someone with a new computer that has a single EIDE drive, a cd player, a
> floppy, a plain-vanilla modem, some speakers, maybe DVD, and that's about it.
> These people simply don't need much tech support at all.  The people calling
> OEMs and M$ for tech support are people who just added a SCSI card but who
> never heard of termination, or other issues that the "average" user doesn't
> deal with, like scanners and such.  These are the people who can't figure it
> out on their own, often.
>
> Yuki ^_^

i dont get the thing: the people who are defending linux all the time are
always stating that they dont needt a GUI, that they cant understand why
people just want to USE computers without learing anything about them. So
wheres the problem? Let the windows users use windows and the others who
are interested in computers use a more configurable (and more stable) OS
like Linux.

Both things have their space to live and i doubt that you can have a
linux being that user friendly and 'auto-detecting' nearly everything
while staying that stable and configurable. Its the same thing the other
way round: there will never be such a stable and configurable windows
with such dummy user features. Its a different approach to things.

Things may change in future but at present im feeling quite comfortable
with having linux servers and Win clients.

Frank