Linux-Networking Digest #504, Volume #11         Sat, 12 Jun 99 04:13:44 EDT

Contents:
  Redefine unprivileged ports? (Dave Hamilton)
  HELP - updating Samba (John Lee)

From: Dave Hamilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Redefine unprivileged ports?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 07:07:53 GMT

Is there a way to permanently remove ports from the "unprivileged
ports" pool?  There are some that, due to some static internal mapping
I need to do, just don't work and I need to make sure my linux machine
never uses them.  Any ideas?

-Dave

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Lee)
Subject: HELP - updating Samba
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 07:18:37 GMT

I downloaded the latest version of Samba and tried to install it and
ran into trouble.

System Info:
SuSE linux 6.0
Kernel version 2.2.0_pre7-0
Samba version 1.9.18p10-22

The first step in the readme file was to run './configure'.
This is were it falls down. I killed the smbd and nmbd processes
before starting this operation. The error I get is the following:

checking for gcc...gcc
checking wether the C compiler (gcc -O) works ... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler
cannot create executables.

What can be causing this problem?

Thanks
jrlee