From: Ollivier Civiol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: EICON PCI
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:50:31 +0200

==============D2A1BE544B13372A2C6196D8

Hi,

I have an EICON PCI ISDN card and I  know  neither how to install a
module for it nor how to link it with dial out/in subsystem/

Can someone help me ?

--
Best Regards,
Ollivier Civiol

==============D2A1BE544B13372A2C6196D8

Hi,
install a module for it nor how to link it with dial out/in subsystem/
<pre>--&nbsp;
Best Regards,
Ollivier Civiol
Email : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
EmailXpress : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
WEB pages : <A
HREF="http://www.astecsoft.com/AstecWeb">http://www.astecsoft.com/AstecWeb</A></pre>
&nbsp;</html>

==============D2A1BE544B13372A2C6196D8==

------------------------------

From: Paul Gallagher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux RH 6.0 +Earthlink dialup troubles
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.help,linux.redhat.misc,earthlink.tech-support.other_dialup_software,earthlink.Unix-Hangout
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:18:53 GMT

Minor point, I guess, but I think RH 6.0 refers to modem devices as=20
ttyS0, ttyS1..., rather than cua0, cua1...

On 6/11/99, 12:44:39 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Earthlink News=20
Support) wrote regarding Re: linux RH 6.0 +Earthlink dialup troubles:

> The following steps will allow you to connect to Earthlink with Red
> Hat Linux  (X Windows):

> 1. Start your X session by typing startx at your shell prompt.
> 2. Click somewhere in the root window and open the Red Hat Control
> Panel from the pop-up menu. Or, open an xterm and type control-panel &=

> (type the "&" symbol) then press enter.
> 3. Open the Modem icon in the Control Panel window.
> 4. Select your modem's device location (cua0=3DCOM1; cua1=3DCOM2;
> cua2=3DCOM3; cua3=3DCOM4)
> 5. Click OK to save your settings.
> 6. Open the Network icon.
> 7. Click the Name button and enter the following:

<...snipped...>

------------------------------

From: "Apocalypse" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp and routing
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 21:22:49 +1000

An update on the problem.

It actually seems it is not a routing problem. I tried connecting to another
ISP (a friends', so I still need to fix the problem) and everything worked
fine. The discovery I made was that with the first ISP (mine) the local ip
address was not being assigned properly.

My eth0 ip is 192.168.22.42 and this was the address the remote server was
assigning me for ppp0.

The second ISP assigned a local address that was in the same domain as the
server I was connected to (remote ip). This is the correct situation as I
understand it.

Does anyone know why this is so, is it something at my end or something at
the server end.

------------------------------

From: Dave Hamilton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Redefine unprivileged ports?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 07:08:12 GMT

Is there a way to permanently remove ports from the "unprivileged
ports" pool?  There are some that, due to some static internal mapping
I need to do, just don't work and I need to make sure my linux machine
never uses them.  Any ideas?

-Dave

------------------------------

From: Lim Chee Onn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: EICON DIVA 2.0 (RNIS PCI) avec linux ?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 03:01:59 +0800

Ollivier Civiol wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a EICON DIVA 2.0, RNIS, PCI, Plug and play card but I don"t know
> how to install it.
>
> windows reports IRQ=9  IO=E9000000 etc.
>
> Does anyone know how to install such a card and then how to manage
> incoming calls and maybe incoming/outgoing faxes ?

Not too sure about ISDN, have yet to receive the services here. Anyway,
I just had a quick look in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/isdn/Readme.HiSax and the file mentioned
the card that you named. There are some pretty good instructions in
there.

Cheers.
Passengers of the mothership earth, these are your children speaking.
When disembarking, please leave a good clean environment behind.
Thank you.
Alex C. O. Lim
Future Trend Computer Services
http://www.ftrend.com.my

From: Tero Niemi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Does Qmail support user.name addresses
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 16:35:23 +0300

Please help me. I have many virtual domains, and I should be able to use

names
like [EMAIL PROTECTED] etc.  How to do that with qmail?

    Other names work perfectly, eg. [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm in hurry, so please help ASAP

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Telnet ( no ssh answers please)
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 10:49:24 GMT

In article
<7j1j1p$9q4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Vicente) wrote:
> I have a Redhat 6.0 box and I NEED to telnet as
root.
> I've edited the /etc/securetty to no avail.
> I can logon ansmyself and I can 'su'.
> What do I change to allow ROOT tellnet access?
> Thanks

Well Brian
if you comment out the line
CONSOLE=/dev/console
in /etc/default/login file. But this opens up
security as passwd is
passed as plain text over network during telnet.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kenyon Ralph)
Subject: Re: Anonymous ftp...
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:23:26 GMT

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999 04:53:35 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Why is it that in /etc/passwd/ the Anonymous ftp user is called "ftp," but
> users can login as "Anonymous?"

It has something to do with these files:

/etc/ftpaccess       /etc/ftpgroups  /etc/ftpusers
/etc/ftpconversions  /etc/ftphosts

--
Kenyon Ralph | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://home.san.rr.com/ralphs

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.databases.oracle.misc,comp.sys.dec,comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Subject: Re: ISO VT320 emulator with key-bindings for Oracle Forms
Date: 11 Jun 1999 13:27:33 GMT

In article <7johsh$egs$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Frank da Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>tputs() can be void or int.  The third argument of tputs(), which is a pointer
>to a function to put a character, can be void, int, or char.  The argument
>to that function can be void or char.  Thus there are at least 2 x 3 x 2 = 12
>combinations that must be accounted for in any portable code that uses tputs().

Luckily you don't need to account for it by writing 12 versions of the code.
I normally encapsulate tputs itself into a routine (the name I usually use
is "outs"), and since C specifies that (char) promotes to (int) in fuction
call and return, that leaves you with two versions of the call to tputs
and two versions of the output function, in one place in the code.

>: > c. Dependent on buggy and/or incomplete databases;

>: That's something the end-user can fix.

>If the end-user knows how to.  This is a rather obscure and dying art; one
>does not rely on end-users to have mastery of it.  In these times, end-users
>expect software to "just work".

End users who aren't using ANSI X3.64 compatible terminals in 1999 are already
at the extreme end of the envelope.

>: > d. Offer only an incomplete and sketchy model of any real terminal,
>: >    not even close to sufficient for defining an accurate emulation;

>: My vt100 emulator, which used raw termlib, did a better job of vt100
>: emulation than most commercial packages.  It didn't try and provide
>: perfect visuals: double-wide and double-high letters, for example, were
>: simply not addressed. But it passed the vt100 torture test.

>Then it didn't run strictly from termcap/terminfo information; otherwise, it
>wouldn't have been a vt100 emulator, it would have been an emulator of every
>terminal that had an entry in the database, right?

No, it was a vt100 emulator that emulated the vt100 on every terminal in the
database.

> The database only encodes
>certain information about a terminal, not all the information needed to make
>a fully functional emulator.  Such items as report requests and responses,
>forms-filling, and blockmode spring to mind.

Luckily I haven't ever had to deal with that on a vt100. Virtually all the
software I've ever run into that used block mode used it on a Televideo,
a Televideo-compatible, or a Uniscope.

But there's nothing inherently more difficult about dealing with block
mode than dealing with any of the other behaviour termcap doesn't specify.

>: > e. Notorious for refusing to work due to library version mismatches;
>: > f. Sometimes not available at all.

>: That's an easy fix. Same solution as B.

>It's easy if you understand cryptic messages about shared libraries, and
>are familiar with the politics regarding curses vs ncurses, libc vs glibc,
>competing numbering schemes, etc, and what to do about them.

I haven't run into that, but then I haven't writen code for Linux.

>: >And that in any case, this does not solve the original problem:

>: >  How do I map Shift-Alt-F7 to such-and-such a function?

>: >The answer will still be: "you can't, because the software has no way of
>: >knowing that you pressed Shift-Alt-F7".

>: With a keyboard mapping file that maps escape sequences to symbols that
>: the user's interested in.

>If xmodmap recognizes your keyboard and can see Shift-Alt-F7 as distinct from
>other key combinations, then yes, but only for xterm.  A separate solution is
>required for the console.  Remote (non-X) sessions haven't a prayer.

Where did I say anything about xmodmap? I'm simply saying that a properly
written terminal emulator can run on UNIX and provide the functionality
required. That there isn't one that you know of is because there isn't a great
need for one, not that one's hard to write. As I said, I wrote one that ran
on Xenix-286, Solaris, and System V back in the late '80s. It was a port from
a DOS program I'd previously written, and I didn't find the porting
particularly difficult. Certainly dealing with termcap was a lot less hassle
than dealing with PC serial ports.

>It is hard to explain this to people who expect UNIX to be like Windows.
>While it might be possible to write a true terminal emulator for a specific
>UNIX variety on specific hardware that runs only in an X window (and in fact
>there are numerous examples -- xterm, Xfree86 xterm, the xterm versions from
>HP, IBM, and other companies that emulate their own proprietary terminal
>types), it is not possible in the general case, due to differences in hardware
>(e.g. different keyboards), windowing systems (in the X environment), screen
>drivers (in the console environment), APIs, and access methods.

That's just plain not true. Curses provides all the functionality you need
to write one that is portable to multiple UNIX systems and runs under multiple
terminal types. Yes, you do need to write your own keyboard mapping code, but
then you already have to do that to write a terminal emulator under Windows
that runs on internationalized versions.

I've done it myself, and there were several companies back in the '80s who had
commercial products that ran on a wide variety of UNIX platforms... I used
to have half a dozen boxes back in the computer room but they seem to have been
flushed in one of the spring cleanings. You can do as good a job of vt100
emulation on a UNIX system as you can on a PC.

--
In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 `-_-'   Ar rug tú barróg ar do mhactíre inniu?

------------------------------

From: "thomas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SAMBA newbie
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 11:44:16 GMT

Hello, i am a newbie in the Linux word and i want to get my setup to work as
a fileserver to Win95 clients. How do i setup the Samba?

--
MVH, Thomas Winberg.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Scott W. Petersen - N9SLA)
Subject: Re: --[ NT RAS and linux ]--
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:35:27 GMT

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 09:55:17 GMT, HellNo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>anyone?
>
>In article <7jmdrd$s3r$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>  HellNo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> A simple question but maybe not such a simple answer...
>>
>> Q: Can an NT RAS box validate a Linux box dialing in to it and can
>> Linux handle dial back?
>>
>> Any clues?
>>
>> --
>> HellNo
>> e-mail:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> ICQ: 21535717
>>
>> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>> Share what you know. Learn what you don't.
>>

>--
>HellNo
>e-mail:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>ICQ:   21535717
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

You have to use PAP to dial into an NT RAS Server.  Make sure you have
allow any authentication including clear text selected on the RAS.

I have a few linux boxes dialing into NT works fine.

I do not know about dialback though.

Scott

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 10:52:33 GMT

In article <7j1j1p$9q4$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian Vicente) wrote:
> I have a Redhat 6.0 box and I NEED to telnet as root.
> I've edited the /etc/securetty to no avail.
> I can logon ansmyself and I can 'su'.
> What do I change to allow ROOT tellnet access?
> Thanks

Well Brian
if you comment out the line
CONSOLE=/dev/console
in /etc/default/login file. But this opens up security as passwd is
passed as plain text over network during telnet.
Abhijeet

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.databases.oracle.misc,comp.sys.dec,comp.protocols.kermit.misc
Date: 11 Jun 1999 13:38:04 GMT

In article <7jokj1$h6u$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Frank da Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Depending on the capabilities of the local terminal (e.g. scrolling
>regions, 80/132-column switching, etc), a serviceable termlib-based vt100
>emulator might be possible, to the extent it is useable by EMACS or vi, but
>not necessarily by more demanding applications, such as those found on VMS.

I wrote mine because I needed one that was servicable on VMS. The hard part
of serving DEC software (on VMS and RSX-11) wasn't rendering things well
enough to be usable, but recognising the oddball undocumented variants of
the VT100 escape sequences that DEC software spit out.

Scrolling regions, for example, were emulated by insert and delete line, or
if that failed by repainting either the scrolled region or the remainder of
the screen (whichever was quicker, and after shifting the whole screen in the
latter case).

I didn't complete the 80-132 column code, but I did have it working by
shifting the whole screen left and right without the cursor tracking and
other heuristics to avoid driving users batty with page flips. It was just
too much hassle for something that I knew people would simply not use, so
I told them that wasn't an option.

But at the end I had the only VT100 emulator I could find at the time that
was usable with BOTH RSX-11 and VMS versions of EDT and TPU, even if it
wasn't always as pretty as a real vt100. And it ran on UNIX.

From: Fabrizio Fresco <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Routing question
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:52:51 +0200

==============D1625EA7A0753ED54C9B81ED

I have got 2 way to go out from my lan ( 2 ISDN router ) and I want to
set up my linux box ( that act as a gateway with squid and masquerading)
to have 2 default gateway and to distribute the traffic over the 2
router.
Is it possible ???? I tried with Equal cost multipath in the kernel but
it wont go :((((

--
Fabrizio Fresco
==============D1625EA7A0753ED54C9B81ED

begin:vcard
n:Fresco;Fabrizio
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
org:Sigma S.p.a
adr:;;;;;;
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Impiegato
        Tel: +390665964274=0D=0A=
note;quoted-printable:=0D=0AArchitetture e Soluzioni Infrastrutturali=0D=0A=
x-mozilla-cpt:;0
        Fax: +390665748520
fn:Fabrizio Fresco
end:vcard

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dang H. Nguyen)
Subject: Setting up two NICs
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:58:53 GMT

Hi,
I'm not new to Linux although I'm new to kernel 2.2.x.
On my Alpha Multia I've got a 3Com 3c905 and a Dec Tulip 21040.
Both nics are compiled into kernel 2.2.9 and are working properly.

eth0 is the 3Com and eth1 is the Dec Tulip.

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:60:08:9A:79:55
          inet addr:192.168.100.1  Bcast:192.168.100.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          Collisions:0
          Interrupt:15 Base address:0x9000

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 08:00:2B:E2:CA:E5
          inet addr:192.168.100.2  Bcast:192.168.100.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          Collisions:0
          Interrupt:10 Base address:0x8800

when I connect eth0 to hub and to the rest of network, everything is
fine and all services are running. However when I connect eth1 to hub
and take disconnect eth0, nothing works. I can't ping 192.168.100.2.

here is the routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref
Use Iface
192.168.100.2   *               255.255.255.255 UH    0      0
0 eth1
localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0
0 eth0
192.168.99.0    *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0
0 eth1
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0
0 lo

ifconfig shows a lot of receiving packets for eth1 but nothing is
transmitted. What I'm I doing wrong? And how to I tell kernel 2.2.x
not to automatically establish routes when I bring a network interface
up?

------------------------------

From: "Peter King" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Create shares on linux for windows clients
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 15:03:05 +0100

Is ther a nice GUI interface for creating shares on a linux box for windows
clients to access. I have most of the latest distributions of linux
installed on various boxs on our network.

I am looking to replace NT servers for our customers with Linux boxes.

Anyone know of a good book covering this type of transition. Most customers
just want small file print sharing networks of upto 10 users. Internet and
email sharing would be nice for them.

Cheers. [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Paulus Satya Pamungkas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: eth0 interface
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:22:51 +1000

Hi,

I lost my sound when the eth0 interface is loading. I heard a bump noise
when the interface is initiated. My ethernet card is a Via-Rhine
compatible, my sound card is OPL3SAX. I use Linux Mandrake 6.0
My conf.modules file is:
alias eth0 via-rhine
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias sound opl3sa2
pre-install sound insmod sound dmabuf=1
alias midi opl3
options opl3 io=0x388
options opl3sa2 mss_io=0x530 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=1 mpu_io=0x388 io=0x370

The message from dmesg|tail is:
eth0: VIA VT3043 Rhine at 0x1400, 00:40:05:a5:3c:b6, IRQ 11.
eth0: MII PHY found at address 8, status 0x782d advertising 05e1 Link
0000.
Installing knfsd (copyright (C) 1996 [EMAIL PROTECTED]).
nfsd_init: initialized fhcache, entries=256

Thank for the help,
Paul

------------------------------

From: Roumen Petrov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Re: Linux box in NT network
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 13:13:16 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Matthieu Villeneuve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I must add a Linux (RedHat 5.2) box to a Windows NT 4 network, using
> Samba.
What samba version ?
I use samba 2.0.4 source distribution.
> I tried to configure Samba, I can see shared resources of NT machines,
> NT machines can see me,
> but cannot access my disk.
> If someone has the same configuration (one Linux box in a Windows
> network with a NT 4 server),
> could you post me your 'smb.conf' ?
> This is my actual 'smb.conf' :
>
> [global]
>    workgroup = NT-DOMAIN
>    server string = Samba Server
>    hosts allow = 192.10.10. 127.
>    guest account = share
>    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
>    max log size = 50
false:
>    security = user
>    password server = 192.10.10.1
>    encrypt passwords = no
If 192.10.10.1 is NT(PDC) try with "security = server" or
"security=domain"
or if samba is PDC and NT is with SP3,4,5
use  encrypt passwords = yes and create all user accounts with smbpasswd
-a ....
>    smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd
>    username map = /etc/smbusers
>    socket options = TCP_NODELAY
> ;  interfaces = 192.10.10.67/255.255.255.0
>    os level = 32
>    domain master = no
>    preferred master = no
>    domain controller = 192.10.10.1
false:
     This is a DEPRECATED parameter. It is currently not used within the
Samba source and should be removed from all current smb.conf files. It
is left behind for compatibility reasons.
>    domain logons = yes
>    name resolve order = wins lmhosts bcast
>    wins support = no
>    wins server = 192.10.10.1
>    wins proxy = no
>    dns proxy = no
>
> [homes]
>    comment = Home Directories
>    browseable = no
>    writable = yes
>
> [netlogon]
>    comment = Network Logon Service
>    path = /home/netlogon
>    guest ok = yes
>    writable = no
>    share modes = no
>
> [Profiles]
>     path = /home/profiles
>     browseable = yes
>     guest ok = yes
>
> [tmp]
>    comment = Temporary file space
>    path = /tmp
>    read only = no
>    public = yes
>
> [public]
>    comment = Public Stuff
>    path = /home/samba
>    browseable = yes
>    public = yes
>    writable = yes
>    printable = no

Pleace read ../samba/htmldocs/smb.conf.5.html

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/