Linux-Networking Digest #514, Volume #11         Sat, 12 Jun 99 18:13:52 EDT

Contents:
  Re: netscape questions (Rage-DCA)
  Re: Telnet ( no ssh answers please) (Stephen Carville)
  Can I connect to X from W95? (Martin Filtenborg)
  Linux and IBM ThinkPad 380D (NeoMagic VideoCard) ("Gregory D. Horne")
  Re: i need to have two IP simultaneouly! (Clifford Kite)
  Re: Can I connect to X from W95? (Rick Miller)
  Re: Can I connect to X from W95? ("pg")
  PC X ("Jim")
  eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050  0090 at 50428969/50428984 command 000c0000.
("Kaj-Michael Lang")
  RH6 Ethernet Problem Reaching Network ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux can't be a big role...???!!! (SteveO)
  Dialing a LAN ("Jean-Pierre Schwickerath")
  Re: Netscape / proxy q ("Grant Smith")
  Re: Can I connect to X from W95? (Michel van der Kleij)
  Re: ppp....file ("Nevyn")
  Re: Linux & Cybercafe (Moritz Moeller-Herrmann)
  Re: ppp....file ("Nevyn")
  Re: Dialing a LAN ("Gregory D. Horne")
  Re: Samba+Printer+Windows ("Richard Miller")
  Re: dns question (David Bell)
  Re: pppd 2.3.6 + Kernel 2.2.1 don't work!! (Johan Adler)

From: Rage-DCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: netscape questions
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:46:08 GMT

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!!
well here was the problem. i got sick of x so i decided to upgrade it...thats how i
figured this out....after i upgraded netscape still had black buttons so the
upgrade didn't change anything....anyways, there was a problem with my video card
due to the new version of x i was running so i went in with XF86Setup and changed
my card or whatever....anyways, i restarted and netscape was still messed up...i
went back into XF86Setup and i noticed something....in there, it was configured to
start up with 24bpp although my startx script had the --bpp 16 option on....so i
changed the bpp in XF86Setup to 16bpp and netscape then had color icons...so
unknowingly i was running in 24bpp when x first started then would switch to 16
which screwed netscape over.....and there was my problem...so if you have the
problem, check XF86Setup to see if your running in 24bpp without knowing.

also, i was able to get xwd to work with the x upgrade (thats why i upgraded so i
could make leeto screenshots). anyways, have a nice day everyone and thanks for
your help.

--

Jason Osborne (Rage-DCA)
- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Stephen Carville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Telnet ( no ssh answers please)
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 13:20:15 -0700

Brian Vicente wrote:

> I have a Redhat 6.0 box and I NEED to telnet as root.
> I've edited the /etc/securetty to no avail.
> I can logon ansmyself and I can 'su'.
> What do I change to allow ROOT tellnet access?

First, allowng root login is not a good idea btu I figure you got the roght
to go to hell in your own way so...

Edit /etc/pam.d/login and comment out the line:

auth       required     /lib/security/pam_securetty.so

--
Stephen Carville
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Martin Filtenborg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Can I connect to X from W95?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:32:18 +0200

It's said that X can display output on another machine on the network, but
everyone seems to assume that the remote machine is a Linux-box. Isn't it
possible to run an application under W95 that can connect to my X-server
(RH6/mach64). This would allow W95-users to "run" X-programmes on their
machines...
That, i'd like to try. Only, i can't get hold of the proper software for the
W95-machine :(
Anyone who knows where to find this particular program on the 'net?

Martin Filtenborg

--
/* Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside! */

------------------------------

From: "Gregory D. Horne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux and IBM ThinkPad 380D (NeoMagic VideoCard)
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 16:07:11 -0400

Does anyone have any experience or information regarding getting the
IBM ThinkPad 380D to work with X Windows or KDE?

When I install Linux and reboot the computer it eventually hangs itself
during initiialization of KDE snd enter runlevel 3 or 6 and then send
TERM signal to all processes, but then hangs.

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Greg

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: i need to have two IP simultaneouly!
Date: 12 Jun 1999 11:55:58 -0500

JKPAN ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: hello,
:      i already have local network with IP through ether card,
: can i have another from ISP through modem at the same time?
: thanks for your answering!
:     EN6.12.1999

Yes.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* Those who can't write, write manuals. */

------------------------------

From: Rick Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Can I connect to X from W95?
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 17:55:04 -0400

Martin Filtenborg wrote:

> It's said that X can display output on another machine on the network, but
> everyone seems to assume that the remote machine is a Linux-box. Isn't it
> possible to run an application under W95 that can connect to my X-server
> (RH6/mach64). This would allow W95-users to "run" X-programmes on their
> machines...[snip]
> Anyone who knows where to find this particular program on the 'net?

[snip]

There are a couple commercial products I am aware of that you can use:

Hummingbird's Exceed
Reflection X

------------------------------

From: "pg" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 21:50:12 GMT

Martin Filtenborg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> It's said that X can display output on another machine on the network, but
> everyone seems to assume that the remote machine is a Linux-box. Isn't it
> possible to run an application under W95 that can connect to my X-server
> (RH6/mach64). This would allow W95-users to "run" X-programmes on their
> machines...
> That, i'd like to try. Only, i can't get hold of the proper software for
the
> W95-machine :(
> Anyone who knows where to find this particular program on the 'net?
>
> Martin Filtenborg
>
> --
> /* Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside! */

======================================

Suuuuuure.   Try VNC.  Works on Linux, Windows, Mac  (others ?)  Available
through  www.orl.co.uk/vnc .  Does exactly what you are looking for.
Windows to Windows, Linux to Windows, Windows to Linux etc.  ( client server
over tcp/ip)  Available for  a number of platforms....

good luck with it.  Works great on a lan, not sure about performance over
internet.....

pg

------------------------------

From: "Jim" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PC X
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 22:46:28 +0100

Hi,

Can anyone please cast any light on a problem I have in making a stable
linux to Win
98 PC connection  ?

I am new to linux and to networking.  I recently installed the SuSE 6.1
distribution on
a spare PC (P90 16 MB ram S3 Trio video card with only 1K ram detected).  I
intend to upgrade this linux box substantially if only I can prove that the
plan I have
to access it via a PC X Windows server is feasible.

The PC is a home assembled celeron 400A with 128 MB of ram and an STB
velocity 4400 video card.  It has a clen install of Win 98.

I have I have installed Liksys ethernet cards in both machines. Both are
recognised
by the respective OS's.  They are the only machines on the network.  The
card in the
PC client is bound only to TCP/IP.  The PC client is 169.254.65.194 and the
linux
host is 169.254.65.195.  I run as eth0 on the linux box.  I get ping
directions of < 1ms.  I can telnet from the PC to the linux box without
problems.

I have installed demo versions of both Labtam's X-WinPro and Xlink's Omni-X.
With both of them I can create stable xterm sessions on the PC.

The problem I have is that it is sometimes imposible to begin, and it is
always
impossible to sustain, sessions running any window manager on the PC.  All
the
WMs I have tried (fvmw, fvmw2, fvwm95, Afterstep, KDE), run slow but
completely stable on the monitor attached to the linux box, but when I fire
them up
under X-WinPro or Omni-X from the xterm window I get very unpredictable
results.

Either: (a) nothing happens, the mouse pointer freezes and the window (or in
worst
case the entire PC client), hangs; or (b) the window manager loads partially
then
freezes; or (c) most often the window manager loads fully (or appears to),
but after a
few simple mouse clicks opening / moving windows or launching applications
the
mouse pointer becomes "sticky" then freezes.  Eventually in this case the
windows go
blank (white), and the xterm window no longer works.  Sometimes I see a
string of
"fail" messages in this window - "could not draw this or create that window
.. failed
operation etc." - more often it is just blank.  Very often I see that the
connection has
been reset by the PC peer. eg  .... "XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection
reset by
peer) on X server 169.254.65.194:0.0 after 3784 requests (3782 known
processed) with 53 events remaining."

I ran "netstat -a" a few times on the linux monitor and watched the
connections at 2
second intervals whilst connected to the PC.  I see send and receive queues
on some
of the connections when anything is happening at the PC end - between 20 and
2,000 items in the queues, averaging about 200.  Because I am new to both
linux
and networking I do not know if this is good bad or average.

I also ran "netstat -i" on linux many times.  Sample output :

MTU (1500) Met (0) RX-OK (68765) RX-ERR (0) RX-DRP(0) RX-OVR (0)
TX-OK (87107) TX-ERR (14) TX-DRP(0) TX-OVR (0) FLG (BRU).

The TX-ERR (like any ERR), looks worrying, but I simply don't have the
knowledge
to interpret it.  On other runs I have seen no errors at all.

One final piece of data, after a few hours trying to get things to work I
ran "netstat
-s", on linux.  For TCP I see :

117 active connections openings
0 passive connections openings
0 failed connection attempts
0 conection resets received
0 connections established
67979 segments received
87478 segments sent out
1078 segments retransmitted
0 bad segments received
9 resets sent

Here again, I lack the understanding to interpret these numbers.

As well as using xterm, I have tried exporting the linux display to the PC
and using
the "-d " switch to start the WMs on the PC.  Although both of these work to
stary
the PC session, it always ends in the kind of crash I have described.

As I said, I am willing to upgrade the linux box, but I do not really want
to do so until
I know that X-WinPro or Omni-X is capable od delivering the goods.  I
suppose
that the problem may just be that the old P90 is not up to the job - but
surely it
should be capable of running a few windows in a stable way on a remote
macine
when it has no other real work to do.  Do I have a defective network card ?
Is my
configuration likely to be wrong ?

If you have bothered to read this far then thank you.  If you can offer any
suggestions
I will be even more grateful.

Jim

------------------------------

From: "Kaj-Michael Lang" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050  0090 at 50428969/50428984 command
000c0000.
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 20:25:18 GMT

Our proxy server crashed and I found thousand of lines like these in the
syslog:

Jun 11 03:08:44 Omicron kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050  0090
at 50428969/50428984 command 000c0000.
Jun 11 03:08:44 Omicron kernel: eth0: Trying to restart the transmitter...
Jun 11 03:08:49 Omicron kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050  0090
at 50428969/50428984 command 000c0000.
Jun 11 03:08:49 Omicron kernel: eth0: Trying to restart the transmitter...
Jun 11 03:08:54 Omicron kernel: eth0: Transmit timed out: status 0050  0090
at 50428969/50428984 command 000c0000.

Could it be a hardware error or is it a kernel bug ?

The server runs 2.2.9 and has a Intel Etherexpress PCI NIC.

I would really need help on this as some of our staff starts to think that
linux does not have the stability that we need.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: redhat.networking.general
Subject: RH6 Ethernet Problem Reaching Network
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 20:20:01 GMT

I recently installed RH 6.0 (on my Nth machine, so I'm not a newbie,
although I don't know everything).  I was able to configure my Ethernet
card and "ping localhost" works, but when I try pinging anywhere else, I
get the message "Network is unreachable".

My Windows box next to my Linux box is able to reach the network
without problem.  I'm using the same Ethernet tap and cable (switching
it from one machine to the other), so it can't be a problem with either
of those.  I've set my Linux box to use the same values as my Windows
box, i.e.,

[static] IP: 144.91.21.46
subnet mask: 255.255.252.0
gateway: 144.91.1.5
DNS: 144.91.3.20, 144.91.3.22

Here's an excerpt from the results of "netstat -rn":

Kernel IP routing table
Destination          Gateway        Genmask         Flags
144.91.21.46         0.0.0.0        255.255.255.255 UH
144.91.20.0          0.0.0.0        255.255.25.0    U
127.0.0.0            0.0.0.0        255.0.0.0       U

When I try: "route add default gw 144.91.1.5 metric 1", I get:
SIOCADDRT: Network is unreachable

My computer is a Dell PowerEdge 2200.

Any ideas?  I am greatly distressed that my Windows box is running
better than my Linux box.  :-/

Ellen Spertus

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (SteveO)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux can't be a big role...???!!!
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 17:26:09 -0500

Personally I have found Linux easier to install, initially that is but much
harder to configure mostly due to it's freedom of choice.
Windows makes many decisions for the user and in many cases they work.
However there may be better ways of doing a given option
and this is where the poser of Linux can be seen.

SteveO

------------------------------

From: "Jean-Pierre Schwickerath" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Dialing a LAN
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 23:02:01 +0200

Hello,

I'm using SuSE 5.3 and I would like to know hoe I have set up my KDE to
access to the Internet over a LAN.
I have a Machine with a modem and another without. They're on a LAN. I want
the second one to dial the first one who is going to log on the net.
In any dialer I tried, there was no function to connect to the net over a
LAN.
Can somebody help me`?

Jean-Pierre

------------------------------

From: "Grant Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Netscape / proxy q
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 23:49:26 +0100

I also had this problem recently and it was as a result of the
IUSR_machinename password set for NT being different than the entry set on
Proxy Server, I reset them to both be the same and it all worked fine. As a
hint, check the System Event Log on the NT server to see what errors are
being thrown up.

news:7jrs7g$rpu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Michel van der Kleij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 23:17:19 +0100

In addition to MI/X (which indeed is very inflexible, I had lots of trouble
getting enough fonts to do anything useful), there's a package called XWIN32
which has a demo license. I believe you can download it from Linuxberg.

Mich.

From: "Nevyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp....file
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:33:26 +0100

thankx yopu people....thank you......d:oÞT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Moritz Moeller-Herrmann)
Crossposted-To: alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Linux & Cybercafe
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:01:45 +0200

On 11 Jun 1999 15:36:47 +0100, David Knight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Moritz Moeller-Herrmann) writes:

>> On 10 Jun 1999 14:46:08 GMT, David L. Bilbey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >What about looking into a smaller, easier to secure browser?  Who said
>> >that it _has_ to be Netscape?

>> Well, iexplore.exe won't cut it. Opera hasn't been releases. KFM lacks
>> support for java(script) and lynx lacks almost everything. Anything I
>> forgot for browsing?

>KFM isn't an option as its also file manager, see any problems arising with
>respect to starting programs?  Although this could be got around by setting
>correct permissions
>Oh and you forgot about using emacs as a web browser :-)

Hehe, emacs is not a browser?
Netscape is not a browser?(Hmm you can't start things with it it is not
internet exploder)
I also didn't mention Mozilla (not done yet, looks good though!), Amaya
(bizarre but working), tkhtml (primitive). There is another GPL-ed one, but I
never tried it....
Oh the Gnome Help browser has a primitive HTML parser too.

>> I think write protecting (mount readonly)the whole filesystem apart from
>> the ~/.netscape/cache directory would protect you from most attacks. Set
>> the shell to some script starting Netscape if not running. Disable
>> everything. Give permissions to do zilch. Can't be that hard. Maybe not
>> even the cache and use a local proxy?

>Stopping the settings being saved may stop it being permanent, but will
>netscape allow the settings to be changed just for that session, keeping the
>changes in memory?

I don't think so. Will have to try it.

--
Moritz Moeller-Herrmann [EMAIL PROTECTED] ICQ# 3585990        # Not only
Get my public pgp / gpg key from                        # Open Source(TM)

------------------------------

From: "Nevyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:35:37 +0100

absolutly fan-bloody-tastic........tres tres good site....thankx

------------------------------

From: "Gregory D. Horne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dialing a LAN
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 17:53:14 -0400

Can you kindly clarify for us, JP, whether the computer connected to the
internet will use a modem itself or a dedicated connection?  As I understand
your original posting, one computer will dial the other computer which in turn
is connected to the internet, but you did not specify how the second computer
was connecting to the internet.

You might be referring to a RAS server possibly, however without further
clarification I cannot suggest more.

Gregory D. Horne
Information Technology Architect
The Network Laboratorium (NetLab)
Ottawa  ON
Canada

------------------------------

From: "Richard Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Samba+Printer+Windows
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 18:38:27 -0500

Do you have a guest user enabled in samba and a user account with the same
name on the linux box?  The guest account should not have a password
assigned.  There is some documentation on this in the samba FAQ I think.  Be
careful with permissions for this account.
news:7jr4ai$g72$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Bell)
Subject: Re: dns question
Date: 12 Jun 1999 21:58:03 GMT

I already have a primary dns setup for my private lan. I wondered if I have to
put my isp's dns ip address on the windows computers or if my dns (on the linux
computer) would forward the requests that it doesn't know the answers to, to
the isp?

=========================
David Bell

Please don't email me just reply on the board.

------------------------------

From: Johan Adler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: pppd 2.3.6 + Kernel 2.2.1 don't work!!
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 23:37:02 +0200

Rage-DCA wrote:

> ya know what your problem is? your stupid. if you would read the freaking text
> files, you would figure it out. i started with a blank partition, slack 3.5,
> and my brain. i figured everything out in 3 months so just shut up and stop
> saying linux sucks. its not that it sucks its just that you don't have the
> willpower to learn how to use it. my philosophy was linux or bust. besides
> using linux in the business scene, i've conquered it all in about 5 months.
> course there is still many avenues to explore, but i know my stuff (i started
> with slack because it seemed hard and it was and it taught me well). so
> basically what i'm trying to say is, don't complain until you have something to
> complain about.

This was neither helpful, nor very nice. Quite unnecessary, I think.