Linux-Networking Digest #518, Volume #11         Sun, 13 Jun 99 02:13:42 EDT

Contents:
  Re: ppp....file (Howard Mann)
  Installation Problem with "QT" (Robert Farney)
  Re: Howto tunnel smb over internet? ("Andrey Smirnov")
  Re: Which brand and type NICs and HUBs for startup ISP? (mezcal)
  Re: DNS Boggle (Benjamin John)
  Looking for documentation for SUSE6.1 (Dicky)
  Re: Help!!!  I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router (Matt
Templeton)
  Re: DNS Boggle (Andy)
  how can i add a name to DNS?  (ie myname.domain.com) (Matt)
  wierd ppp-2.3.7 stuff? (Denny)
  Re: FTP from local OK, FTP from remote DENIED (William Borrelli)
  Print queue defaults to paused mode ("steve epstein")
  Tulip 21143 Time Out Error (Anthony Ewell)
  linux to win98 network ("jim conti")
  Re: pppd 2.3.6 + Kernel 2.2.1 don't work!! (Brad)
  Re: wierd ppp-2.3.7 stuff? (Clifford Kite)
  Never Mind...  (root)
  Ipchains & udp port forwarding (for a game) (tomislav)
  samba's running ok - but what is SWAT ? (Bob)
  rh6 through rh6 gateway not working. (Jeff Hardy)
  Re: linux to win98 network (root)
  Re: how can i add a name to DNS?  (ie myname.domain.com) ("Gregory D. Horne")
  Re: linux to win98 network (Paul Wilson)
  Re: problem with rh6 (Colombier Pierre)

From: Howard Mann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ppp....file
Date: 12 Jun 1999 16:41:56 GMT

In article <7jtrr0$cqv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "Nevyn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> someone told me about a file to help get ppp workin called
> "pppsetup-2.15.tar.gz" said it was in the sunsight
> archive...somewhere....can anyone tell me where because i cant find it...at
> all...i must have searched through half the site.....

Sure. Go to :   http://www.tuxfinder.com/

Type "pppsetup" in the box, and...get it.

Cheers,

--
Howard Mann
http://www.newbielinux.com

------------------------------

From: Robert Farney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Installation Problem with "QT"
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 20:58:02 -0500

Hello Lew,

     I am having a problem installing a program called "QT" www.troll.no on linux
6.0.  If you have the time and the desire to assist please let me know and I will
tell you what I have done to this point.  It has to be a small problem, but I
haven't been able to figure out what it is and I have spend hours.  Thanks in
advance :-)

p.s.  My name is Bob, I am sending this note from Alabama :-)

------------------------------

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb,linux.samba,mailing.unix.samba
Subject: Re: Howto tunnel smb over internet?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 10:12:18 -0700

Hello,

Check out Linux VPN howtos:

ftp://ftp.rubyriver.com/pub/jhardin/masquerade/ip_masq_vpn.html#HOWTO

Good luck!

<7jtv0e$kis$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (mezcal)
Subject: Re: Which brand and type NICs and HUBs for startup ISP?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 03:10:31 GMT

On Sat, 12 Jun 1999 08:45:23 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Top Cat) wrote:

>Hubs by nature do NOT provide collision mechanisim. A switch can give
>you alot better performance. I will be interested to know what kind of
>authentication software you will use?
>
>all the best.

At the moment, I plan on using the unix version of Radius that comes
with the Livingstom PM3's.

Thanks for the collision info.  I'll definately go with a switch now.
Many people have told me about headaches with collisions.
Here's my setup list to date:

Software:  Redhat 6.0, Latest version of Radius for *nix, Apache web
server, Not sure of a good accounting/billing program.. anyone
reccommend one?

Server hardware:  2 servers with 9 gig UW scsi drives (doubt i'll run
raid, no experience with that and i understand it's tricky under
linux) 256 PC100 RAM, P2450 or P3-500, 8 gig scsi tape backup, scsi
cdrom & scsi cd recorder

Other hardware:  Cisco 2621 Router maxed out on memory and T-1 card
with integrated csu/dsu, Livingston Portmaster 3a-2t with 2 pri lines
coming in to start for up to 368 customers ( 8 to 1 ratio), Either
cisco or asante 14 - 16 port switch, and probably intel eepro10/100
NICS.

Chris

------------------------------

From: Benjamin John <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DNS Boggle
Date: 12 Jun 1999 19:04:59 PDT

can you post the contents of your /etc/resolv.conf file ?

------------------------------

From: Dicky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Looking for documentation for SUSE6.1
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 01:43:00 GMT

I am looking for the documentations for SUSE linux
administrations.

Appreciate any help
email [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Matt Templeton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help!!!  I would like to use my linux box as a proxy sever/router
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:16:08 +0000

http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/IPCHAINS-HOWTO.html

------------------------------

From: Andy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:46:25 -0500

My /etc/resolv.conf is as follows:

search
nameserver 208.15.109.1
nameserver 208.15.109.6

Thanks,
  Andy

From: Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how can i add a name to DNS?  (ie myname.domain.com)
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:09:33 GMT

how can i add a name to DNS?  (ie myname.domain.com), using bind
(rh6.0).  I would like to do a couple things,
a) just add some names for the fun of it
b) for certain users on my system, i would like to be able to use their
name to hit their public_html directory

ie, for userid "test", instead of typing www.domain.com/~test/  , i just
wanna hit test.domain.com

thanks
matt
ps please cc to my email, thanks

------------------------------

From: Denny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: wierd ppp-2.3.7 stuff?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 13:39:33 -0400

I am using ppp-2.3.7 and everything is cool except for one odd behavior.
When the ppp link is established, the terminal printss out much info
about the link (which is cool ) but it also prints out my user password
(unencrypted) which is not cool. I'm sure there is an echo command in
some file which is causing this but I'm unable to locate. Any words of
wisdom will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance;

Denny

------------------------------

From: William Borrelli <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: FTP from local OK, FTP from remote DENIED
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 00:16:33 -0400

I tried adding LOCAL:ALL and it didn't work. Any other way to allow me to log
in via ftp from a remote location. I can log in anonymously, but when I try
to use my username and password, it just says nope. I can telnet in, but no
FTP.

Thanks.

Bill Borrelli

------------------------------

From: "steve epstein" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Print queue defaults to paused mode
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 12:51:35 -0500

I have not made any changes in my system (RH5.1), but for some reason one of
my network print queues seems to be defaulting to pause. It worked fine up
until a few days ago and now it stays paused until I reset the server. The
printer is a Lexmark Optra R+ with a network card running TCP/IP. Jobs go
into the queue but will not come out until I reset the RH box. As soon as I
initiate the shutdown sequence the job goes to the printer. I am using
Win98/Samba to feed jobs to the queue and cannot unpause the queue from my
workstation. I have another similar printer configured in the same manner
and it works fine.

I have setup new queues and new IP addresses and nothing changes. It could
be the printer, but it works fine on a Novell network. Even the Postscript
test pages fail to print until I shutdown.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Steve Epstein
steve dot epstein at worldnet dot att dot net

------------------------------

From: Anthony Ewell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tulip 21143 Time Out Error
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 13:19:19 -0700

==============3D067FD4AE2529C7DBF57A0B

Help,

   I have a red hat 6.0 server with dual processors and a Kingston
KNE100TX
network adapter (21143 chip set).  It is hooked up to a 10 base T
network
(we are migrating to a linux server from netware 4.1).  The following
error
pops up every 10 seconds or so:

> eth0: 21140 transmit timed out, status f0120000, SIA 000000c6 ffff0001 fffbff7f
> 8ff0c008, resetting...
> eth0: transmit timed out, switching to 100baseTx media.

The link led is lit and the 100 led is off on the network card.

So I downloaded the latest driver (tulip.c-v0.91 and tulip.c-0.91e).
The following
compile line (cut and paste from the comments at the bottom of the
source
code) gives me the following error:

> gcc -D__SMP__ -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c `[ -f
>/usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] && echo -DMODVERSIONS`
> /usr/include/asm/smp.h: In function `hard_smp_processor_id':
> In file included from /usr/include/linux/smp.h:11,
>                  from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:20,
>                  from tulip.c:69:
> /usr/include/asm/smp.h:209: warning: implicit declaration of function `GET_APIC_ID'
> /usr/include/asm/smp.h:209: `APIC_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function)
> /usr/include/asm/smp.h:209: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
> /usr/include/asm/smp.h:209: for each function it appears in.)
> /usr/include/asm/smp.h:209: `APIC_ID' undeclared (first use in this function)
> tulip.c: In function `tulip_probe':
> tulip.c:471: warning: suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous `else'
> tulip.c: In function `select_media':
> tulip.c:1538: warning: suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous `else'

If I remove the "-D__SMP__", the module compiles perfectly, but won't
"insmod" due
to my dual processors and everything else being loaded as SMP.

Just for fun, I tried compiling the tulip.c that came with rh 6 and got
the same error.

Anyone have any ideas?

Many thanks,
--Tony
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

p.s. please email me, as well as responding to the newsgroup.  My nntp
server at my
ISP only get back about 1 in 10 responses to my postings and I have to
dig them out
of dejanews.

==============3D067FD4AE2529C7DBF57A0B

Help,
Kingston KNE100TX
T network
error
<pre>eth0: 21140 transmit timed out, status f0120000, SIA 000000c6 ffff0001 fffbff7f
8ff0c008, resetting...
eth0: transmit timed out, switching to 100baseTx media.</pre>

The following
source
<pre>gcc -D__SMP__ -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O6 -c tulip.c `[
-f /usr/include/linux/modversions.h ] &amp;&amp; echo -DMODVERSIONS`
/usr/include/asm/smp.h: In function `hard_smp_processor_id':
In file included from /usr/include/linux/smp.h:11,
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:20,
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
 from tulip.c:69:
/usr/include/asm/smp.h:209: warning: implicit declaration of function `GET_APIC_ID'
/usr/include/asm/smp.h:209: `APIC_BASE' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/include/asm/smp.h:209: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/usr/include/asm/smp.h:209: for each function it appears in.)
/usr/include/asm/smp.h:209: `APIC_ID' undeclared (first use in this function)
tulip.c: In function `tulip_probe':
tulip.c:471: warning: suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous `else'
tulip.c: In function `select_media':
tulip.c:1538: warning: suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous `else'</pre>

won't "insmod" due
got the same error.
My nntp server at my
to dig them out

From: "jim conti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: linux to win98 network
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 00:09:44 -0400

i need help setting up my linux network configuration.  i want the linux box
(client) to be able to share the dial-up access of the win98 box(server).  i
think i have to edit tons of stuff in netconf, but i'm not sure exactly what
to do.

------------------------------

From: Brad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: pppd 2.3.6 + Kernel 2.2.1 don't work!!
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 00:59:50 -0400

Arrogant, vicious, "ignorant" (notice the poor grammar), elitist dog.  Welcome to
Linux "support".  Imagine a major organization depending on this kind of help.

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: wierd ppp-2.3.7 stuff?
Date: 12 Jun 1999 15:38:06 -0500

Denny ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: I am using ppp-2.3.7 and everything is cool except for one odd behavior.
: When the ppp link is established, the terminal printss out much info
: about the link (which is cool ) but it also prints out my user password
: (unencrypted) which is not cool. I'm sure there is an echo command in
: some file which is causing this but I'm unable to locate. Any words of
: wisdom will be appreciated.

There is a ppp-2.3.8 option hide-password that might be what you need.
The option is in ppp-2.3.7 too except that it isn't initialized properly
within the code and so doesn't work.  A pristine ppp-2.3.8 package is
available at

ftp://cs.anu.edu.au/pub/software/ppp/

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* Governments should be changed like diapers - often and for the

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Never Mind...
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 00:59:14 -0400

root wrote:

>         I have got basic Win95 Samba services up and running, but have hit a bit of
> a snag with setting up the Linux box as an internet gateway to the
> internet.  When I try to run ipfwadm, i get the following error messages:

  <<< Kicks self in head a couple of times >>>

        I forgot that most of my paper documentation is out of date, and that I
should be using ipchains instead.  When I added the lines

ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.203.0.2/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0

to /sbin/init.d/boot.local it started working.  Most of of the SuSE 6.0
masquerade scripts are useless, as they all rely on the 2.0 kernel methods.

Actually, I would like to find how to still boot the windows machine when
the Linux server is down, (obviously without any internet or printing
services) if somebody is in the mood for a bonus question.  I.E. I would
still like to be able to use the windows machine in stand alone mode, rather
like a laptop.  Otherwise, I will post the question to a Win95 group.  I
haven't tried running any esoteric services like netmeeting or realaudio on
the win95 box yet, but the basic browser seems to be alive.

  .~.         Powered by SuSE Linux 6.0
  /V\         Sometimes, you get more than you paid for...
_// \\_       Return address is for spambots.  True address is:
 (\ /)        garyc at istar dot ca
 ^`~'^        Gary C. P. Eng.  DSP & Embedded software engineer

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (tomislav)
Subject: Ipchains & udp port forwarding (for a game)
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 22:44:58 +0200

I have a linux box serving as a gateway for my 2 win98 boxes with
ipmasquerading. I'm trying to play a windows game on the net from one of
my windows boxes (Delta Force). The problem is that it doesn't work. This
is what I get from tcpdump:

tojo.1034 > 38.187.59.48.15856: udp 24

I've read all the ipchains HOWTOs i still can't get it to work. Someone
told me i should use ipmasqdm, and i got that but i still haven't been
able to get it to work.

Novalogic (the makers of the game) support team told me this:
"You can try ports 0x0df0 and 0x0df1 (3568 and 3569)"
but i don't get it what they meant.

Can someone please help me.
Thank you.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob)
Subject: samba's running ok - but what is SWAT ?
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 17:34:45 GMT

got smb running fine...
was curious...

what's swap, and is it required for sucessfull smb'g?
tia - bg
Definition of Windows 95:

A 32 bit upgrade to 16 bit extensions for an 8 bit operating system
designed to run on a 4 bit processor by a 2 bit company that
doesn't like 1 bit of competition.

------------------------------

From: Jeff Hardy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rh6 through rh6 gateway not working.
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 21:41:53 -0700

Hello, I have a small network at home routed through a RH6 linux
gateway. Two NT boxes are routed through the gateway which is hooked to
a cable modem. The 2 nt boxes get to the net just fine. The gateway
machine uses ipchains to masquerade the local network. I just converted
one of the NT boxes to dual boot NT/RH6. When I boot to NT on the db
machine its packets get routed through the gateway to the cable modem
fine. If I boot up to Linux (RH6) on the same machine, I can't get out
to the net. I can telnet, ftp and ping the gateway box from the RH6 box,
but no packets seem to get through. If I ping sun.com for example, the
ping hangs. If I rlogin to the gateway and do a "ipchains -L -M" I can
see the UDP chain and the source and destination seem ok (a lookup
through the nameserver for sun.com), but I don't get a response. The
default route on the box is set through the gateway machine just like I
set up the NT box and has a static IP (on the 10 net).

Any suggestions???

Thanks,

-jeff hardy
Please remove NOSPAM from my address to mail me.

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: linux to win98 network
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 01:13:59 -0400

jim conti wrote:

> i need help setting up my linux network configuration.  i want the linux box
> (client) to be able to share the dial-up access of the win98 box(server).  i
> think i have to edit tons of stuff in netconf, but i'm not sure exactly what
> to do.

        If you have dial up running on the linux server, it is only two lines,
assuming you are using a 2.2 kernel.  Add the following to your boot.local:

ipchains -P forward DENY
ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.203.0.2/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0

        Where 192.203.0.2 is the IP address of my win95 machine.  Obviously you
should substitute whatever you are using - the 192.168.0.xx domain seems
safe and popular.  As for Win95 networking, test first by pinging the linux
box, then try telnetting into it.  Set up your win95 box to connect to the
internet through a fixed IP address, which should correspond to the IP
address of the linux box.  You should be using TCP/IP networking protocol
for everything.  Click on the TCP/IP network prototcol icon in Control Panel
-> Network -> TCP/IP, or install it if you are not using TCP/IP.  Set the IP
address of your linux box as the gateway, and enable DNS.  Use the
nameserver of your ISP as the DNS addresses.  Disable WINS, unless you are
using Samba.  I would suggest seeking a detailed howto if my hints don't get
you up and going quickly.  I am using Win95 on the host machine, so your
control panel may look a bit different.

From: "Gregory D. Horne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: how can i add a name to DNS?  (ie myname.domain.com)
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 00:42:32 -0400

Refer to the Virtual Services HOW-TO document.
Good luck!  :-)

Gregory D. Horne
Information Technology Architect
The Network Laboratorium (NetLab)
Ottawa  ON
Canada

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Wilson)
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 04:41:25 GMT

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 00:09:44 -0400, "jim conti"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>i need help setting up my linux network configuration.  i want the linux box
>(client) to be able to share the dial-up access of the win98 box(server).  i
>think i have to edit tons of stuff in netconf, but i'm not sure exactly what
>to do.

First thing is, you should have the modem on the Linux box and use IP
masquerading (see the HOW-TOs). Otherwise you either need to install a
SOCKS proxy on your windows machine or use commercial software on the
windows machine to be able to get to the 'net from the Linux machine
(see www.sygate.com).

Paul

------------------------------

From: Colombier Pierre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem with rh6
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 07:46:05 +0200

ok i will try, but why red hat 6.0 is more hard to configure than 5.2,
the nic card was detect very well and after giving ip address the
network was OK, with 5.2. Now I must try to resolve the problem putting
my eyes in the engine motor, as I'm a newbie, it's hard, don't you think
so?

Thank you any way for the response.

Pierre |:-)