Linux-Networking Digest #524, Volume #11         Sun, 13 Jun 99 19:13:30 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Troubleshoot masquerading 'lag' (Bert)
  Re: Figuring Out Used IRQ's? (Kevin Martin)
  Re: WIN98 and REDHAT5.2 (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: problem with rh6 (Monte Phillips)
  Re: NE2000 on Redhat 6.0 ("Gregory D. Horne")
  Re: Help needed with modem (Clifford Kite)
  Xsession from Win95 (Ollivier Civiol)
  A new successful marketing: (HANG CHEONG)
  Re: IP Masquerading (Bert)
  Re: Direct Connect Linux&Win ?? (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Samba problem with accented characters (Ollivier Civiol)
  Heeeeelp!!! ("Richi")
  Re: Synchronizing cmos clock with timeserver? (Marc Mutz)
  Internet/Proxy Bandwidth control ("Grant Smith")
  Re: Why is linux perfomance bad compared to windows? (Yuki Taga)
  Re: afpfs can be found here... ("Kevin Cullis")
  Bay Networks Netgear Support (Bill deKoning)
  Re: Xisp works, kppp doesn't (Paul Winkler)
  Re: Xisp works, kppp doesn't (Paul Winkler)
  Re: Synchronizing cmos clock with timeserver? (Hans Wolters)
  Re: PPP connection speed ("Bob Crandell")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bert)
Subject: Re: Troubleshoot masquerading 'lag'
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 11:54:28 -0700

says...
> Hi All...
>
> I'm new to linux and think i'm having some trouble with masquerading
> dropping packets. (?)
>
> I used to play Quake online WinNT with my cable modem.  No problems.
>
> I set up a linux machine and plugged it into my cable modem, then set up
> WinNT to masquerade through linux.  It was very easy to set up and works
> great.  However, I noticed that semi-periodically (about twice a minute)
> packets are being lost as I play quake. [quake: connect to inet server
> along with 10 other users and send/receive data.  check network status
> using 'netgraph 1' command]  I am getting this packet loss on all quake
> servers I try despite very low ping times. (~40ms)
>
> Running ping on my linux machine and simultaneously on my WinNT shows
> packets being lost for NT but not linux. (?) [again, about twice a
> minute]
>
> WinNT config has not changed since whole masquerading thing.
>
> Linux is not running anything special... not even X... it just sits
> around masquerading packets all day for my single WinNT computer!
>
> I use hosts.deny (ALL:ALL) and hosts.allow, but don't think that should
> be a big deal here.
>
> This problems exists whether or not I use module /sbin/modprobe
> ip_masq_quake (i dont' know what this is for... but i think it's only for
> quake server 'cause my client works fine always)
>
> Anyone know how I can troubleshoot this problem further?  I'm getting
> tired of the server telling me "while you were dropping packets, another
> player killed you with a rocket launcher"!!! :)
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rudy
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To clarify, (actually, this seems to make things more confusing)

Yahoo:
linux: ping www.yahoo.com    no packet loss
winnt: ping -t www.yahoo.com no packet loss

A Quake Server:
linux: ping 4.20.162.2    no packet loss
winnt: ping -t 4.20.162.2 packet loss!!!

I dont' know how PING works or what it does... but these are the honest
to goodness results... not experimentor bias here!!

[i belive winnt uses 32 byte ping packets and linux uses 64 byte packets]

Thanks again,

Rudy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Martin)
Subject: Re: Figuring Out Used IRQ's?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 17:47:12 GMT

In article <7k0q4j$dvp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, it says [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kosh
Banerjee) wrote:

>I have an old IBM Valuepoint 486. I need to figure out which interrupts are
>currently being used. Is there a way to do this?

cat /proc/interrupts

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WIN98 and REDHAT5.2
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 19:03:21 GMT

First, make sure that your NICs are working on both machines.  Second,
make sure that ONE (and one only) of your cables is a crossover cable OR
your hub is setup to crossover.  Now here goes the fun part!!
Under Linux, run the setup program (setup, linuxconf, etc.) and find your
NIC (eth0).  It should have a few options about assigning an IP address:
DHCP, BOOTP, or Static IP.  Make sure "Static IP Address" is selected,
checked, etc.  It should give you a place to type your IP address.  You
should use the following format: 192.168.x.x (where x.x is your last two
#'s).  192.168.x.x are IPs for private machines and networks.  Once you
have chosen this, it will probably try to guess your netmask, gateway,
nameserver, etc.  Make sure your netmask is set to 255.255.255.0 and the
rest should be null.
On your Wintel machine, use the network option in the control panel, make
sure you have TCP/IP is set up, and goto the option TCP/IP -> Your
Network Card.  Click on the "IP Address" tab and set your IP Address
(192.168.x.x format) and your netmask (255.255.255.0).
Restart both machines and you should be able to ping, telnet, http, ftp,
etc.)
--Nick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Subject: Re: problem with rh6
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 17:29:02 GMT

Ok this is a real long shot, but on my machines ( I have a linux
server samba'd to a Win98)  I have a 3c509 in the linux box and a
linksys NIC in the Winbox.  In order for the network to see each other
I have to bring up the 3com card first or restart the Winbox.  Its a
quirk with the 3com card,  ( a NIC with a superiority complex or
something <G>)

g'Luk  and let me know if you figure it out.... 'cause right now i'm
as stumped as you. :)

------------------------------

From: "Gregory D. Horne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NE2000 on Redhat 6.0
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 14:05:03 -0400

Eran Dvey-Aharon wrote:

> In installation , I selected the card , but when probing, the
> installation couldn't detect the card.
>
> 2. After installation , how can I get to those selection menus once
> again ?

Typically, a utility like LISA (Linux Installation & System
Administration) is provided with Linux distributions.  However, you can
always revert to the command-line tools like ifconfig (run as root or
super user) and configure the interface of your network card.  Depending
on your kernel version you may also be able to add new modules using the
insmod utility to add NE2000 NIC drivers.  Give this a try and get back
if you require further information or assistance.  BTW, the man pages
and HOW-TOs may offer some insight.

Gregory D. Horne
Information Technology Architect
The Network Laboratorium (NetLab)
Ottawa  ON
Canada

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: Help needed with modem
Date: 13 Jun 1999 13:54:25 -0500

Nigel Feltham ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I have just installed suse linux v6.1 on my pc and am unable to make linux
: see my my internal isa pnp modem. Using a ms-dos pnp setup utility, I set
: the modem to it's default settings of port 2e8, irq 10 but linux detects the
: modem as being at 2e8, irq 3 which is incorrect. Trying to dial then returns
: modem busy error. My modem only supports irq settings of 9,10,11 and 12.
: Is there any way to correct detection of modem. I use Loadlin to boot linux

Linux seems to report the default MS com port settings regardless of the
actual modem settings.

You need to use setserial in a boot-up file, /etc/rc.d/rc.serial here but
it varies with distribution.  The setserial command for a 2.0.x kernel
would be similar to

  setserial /dev/ttySx uart 16550A port 0x2E8 irq 10 spd_vhi

and for a 2.2.x kernel it would be similar to

  setserial /dev/ttySx uart 16550A port 0x2E8 irq 10

where ttySx is the device file the modem actually uses.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* Editing with vi is a lot better than using a huge swiss army knife. */

------------------------------

From: Ollivier Civiol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Xsession from Win95
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 21:51:38 +0200

Hi all,

For thoses interresed (like me) to access their host from work through
Internet/PPP dialin/Lan take a lookat this software :

X-Win32 from www.starnet.com
it is a great simple to use, Xwindow client for Win95/98,

I use it, I think it'ds great.

You can get it from www.windows95.com

--
Best Regards,
Ollivier Civiol

------------------------------

From: HANG CHEONG<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: A new successful marketing:
Date: 13 Jun 1999 19:01:38 GMT

              HANG CHEONG INTERNATIONAL

A new successful marketing tactic to increase your sales :

    Do you always have problems to find channels to increase your sales?
The advertise in newspapers, magazines and doing some Direct Mailing, but
still can not achieve you goal, so why still dumping your money to a media
that could not help your sales and not using the most efficient and modern
way of selling stragies E-MAIL.Now many big companies are using this,
because it is economical, fast and efficient, and the other way is selling
by fax through the internets, and the result are remarkable.

  According to report pointed out that the ratio of internet selling is
1,000:1.5 that is 20,000,000 names x 0.0015 = 30,000.  These 30,000 clients
will buy from you and if your net profit is $50 that is to say your total
profit is:

           HK$50 x 30,000 = HK$1,500,000.  1.5 Million Dollars !!!

How to make your first 1 million in your life, now it is quite possible that
you can make your first 1 million within one month.  But the thing is ¡§Are
you selling the right products, through the right media.¡¨

A full set of sales tool with 20 million of client¡¦s names will make you a SUPER
SALES.

A professional mail software (no need to go through any ISP Mail Server,making your
computer
as the professional Mail Server, its super speed.  Easy to use.

* 500,000 E-mail addresses in Hong Kong
* 1,000,000 E-mail address in Taiwan
* 20,000,000 E-mail address in the World
 (latest revised on 1-6-1999.)

* A free revision one year (around 100,000 every month)

* Free of charge of 200,000 names of fax addresses in Hong Kong for 1999.

* Video Teaching  * Technical Support  * Software Update  * Data Update.

* Using CD-R dish and CD-AutoRun Menu.

(Only HK$680 for one full set) for unlimited use.

HK$680 is very small amount, you may not need it now but you will sure to use it when
you
have every thing ready.

If you need any E-mail address, call us any time!!
Don¡¦t miss this chance, you may make lots of money with this new marketing technique.

PLEASE TRANSFER THE MONEY $680(HK DOLLAR) TO:

BANK NAME    : (HONG KONG) HANG SENG BANK.
ACCOUNT NO   :  269-226981-882.
ACCOUNT NAME :  WONG CHANG SANG.

AFTER I GET THE MONEY WILL SEND THE E-Mail Marketing CD TO
YOU AT SOON(IN 7 DAY)

Booking Hotline : (852) 23488365 Mr Wong

2ND FL.FRONT BLOCK HING YIP HOUSE.24,SAI YEE ST,HK

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bert)
Subject: Re: IP Masquerading
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 11:45:27 -0700

In article <7k0tir$8rp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...

> gateway? to the Internet for a W95 box.
>
> I have Linux running on a W95 box and another W95 box on an ethernet
> connection. I would like to have simulataneous access to the Internet from
> both boxes. I believe that IP Masquerading is in some way the key to this
> but I have no idea what this is. I can't find a HOWTO that explains it
> either.
>
> Thank you

Rob,

IP MAsqeuerading is very easy to set up (i was able and i don't know a
think about linux).... just follow the directions here:

http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade.html

Rudy

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Direct Connect Linux&Win ??
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 19:08:56 GMT

You don't need to use IPmasq.  You do need the crossover cable, and the software
should take care of itself.  Just make sure you have IP addresses set or setup a
DHCP server on your Linux machine.  If you are able to ping between the
computers, your services should be working.
--Nick

------------------------------

From: Ollivier Civiol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Samba problem with accented characters
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 21:55:40 +0200

Hi,

Whan I copy files from Win95 to linux using SAMBA, the french accented
characters are not well converted, how can I fix that ?

Thanks.

From: "Richi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Heeeeelp!!!
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:35:20 -0500

Surely someone out there has been able to make this work. I am having a
terrible time getting my DSL to work on my Linux box.

If someone can tell me how to set it up, I will be forever grateful....

I had the machine working as a dial up IP masquerading machine and it worked
great.

I now have ADSL and I cant seem to figure out how to set it up

The machine is a Mandrake 5.3 box with two ethernet cards.

I have my subnet on the LAN set to 255.255.255.0

My windows machines are 10.0.0.11 and 10.0.0.12.

I assigned the LAN (ETH0)card in the linux box 10.0.0.10 and the DSL router
(ETH1)card 10.0.0.99.

One thing I noticed was only one ethernet card worked when they were on the
same subnet. As a matter of fact whichever card initialized first, was the
one that worked. I changed the subnet on the DSL card and then they both
worked.

Anyway I am on a USWest dynamic assigned service.

Can anyone tell me what values to assign the DSL NIC ? And what info to use
in my routing.

Is there anything that would need changed in the router that would be
different from Windows ?

Many thanks in advance.

Rich

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 22:09:46 +0200
From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Synchronizing cmos clock with timeserver?

Ronald.Hovens wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a fine-working redhat linux server. However, I have a problem
> with synchronizing my system clock with a time server on the internet.
> To set my system clock every time an internet connection is established,
> I use the rdate command in my ip-up script:
>
> /usr/bin/rdate -s wrzx03.rz.uni-wuerzburg.de
>
> This works partially: the system clock indeed is set, but when I turn
> off my computer, the clock setting is lost. How can I make sure that the
> time/date setting is stored in the CMOS clock,  so powering off doesn't
> affect the new setting?

after the rdate, add '/sbin/clock [-u] -w' or 'hwclock --systohc
[--utc]', where -u and --utc tell the progs, that you cmos clock runs
GMT.

Marc

------------------------------

From: "Grant Smith" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Internet/Proxy Bandwidth control
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 21:07:58 +0100

I share an ISDN link to the internet with my wife who uses it for online
gaming. This causes problems when I go browsing or downloading as my
activity 'hogs' the link and usually ends up with me being shouted at!

I have an NT Server running MS Proxy 2 serving a win95 workstation and a
RedHat Linux 6.0 workstation. Does anyone know how I can limit bandwidth use
so say we effectively have half each without ever hogging the whole
connection? Although the proxy server is currently a NT machine I'd be quite
happy to change to a Linux Server if I could solve this problem.

Thanks all for considering this query

Grant

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yuki Taga)
Subject: Re: Why is linux perfomance bad compared to windows?
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 21:40:57 GMT

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 00:15:57 -0400, in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kwan Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Jon Finanger wrote:

>> So whats the main advandages of linux compared to windows? (I'm a kind of
>> new to this :)

>1) Reliability -- Linux boxes don't go down.  In four years of running
>Linux I've NEVER had a kernel panic on a production system. Compare this
>to the, on average, monthly BSODs on my NT 4.0 server (both the Linux
>Apache and NT IIS servers are running on PII/266 boxes, 128M RAM, 5.7
>Gig IDE, 5 Gig SCSI).

No offense, but I'm going to state a fact here.  If you're getting monthly
BSODs running NT4 SP-3 or higher, either you have a hardware problem or an
operator problem.  It has nothing to do with the OS, and blaming it on the OS
simply makes you look less than completely professional, at least when it comes
to NT.  The rest of your points are not bad, but this one is terrible.  This is
*your* experience, and admittedly, the experience of some other people who are
less knowledgeable than necessary to run and maintain the OS.  This is *not*
the experience of the average NT user in a production or mission-critical
situation.  You shouldn't suggest, even by implication, that it is.

Yuki ^_^

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 15:53:17 -0600
From: "Kevin Cullis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.appletalk
Subject: Re: afpfs can be found here...

Bjorn,

First, ask if I know about what you want to tell me off about!  If I say I
know it, then tell me I've ignored it!  Bottomline, teach someone first and
make sure they understand before you jump all over them.  BTW, is this
better? In the spirit of which I appraoch people, thanks for letting me know
that I was doing that.  I've since changed my preferences to text.

Kevin

==========

------------------------------

From: Bill deKoning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Bay Networks Netgear Support
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 16:40:28 -0500

Hello,

I have recently purchased a Netgear EA201 ISA 10baseT network interface
card. The manual says that it supports Unix and most operating systems
that support packet drivers, but i cant find the damned drivers for the
card. If anyone could help me please email me at: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you,

DeadwoK

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 22:12:38 +0000
From: Paul Winkler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Xisp works, kppp doesn't

Brian Witowski wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a strange problem.  Using Xisp I can connect to my isp and log
> in, no problem.  But If I use, say Kppp,
> I can connect but never get a Login: or Password: prompt.  After about
> 10 sec. it dosconnects.  The same thing happens with a terminal
> program.  I know that xisp has it's own dialer but I need for this to
> work the 'normal' way because I want to set up diald.
>
> Please help!
> Brian

I had a similiar problem, make sure you do not have a file entitled
/etc/options, if you do KPPP will not work properly, simply rename /etc/options
, that may do it for you.

Paul

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 22:13:24 +0000
From: Paul Winkler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Brian Witowski wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a strange problem.  Using Xisp I can connect to my isp and log
> in, no problem.  But If I use, say Kppp,
> I can connect but never get a Login: or Password: prompt.  After about
> 10 sec. it dosconnects.  The same thing happens with a terminal
> program.  I know that xisp has it's own dialer but I need for this to
> work the 'normal' way because I want to set up diald.
>
> Please help!
> Brian

I erred in my first posting, the file you do not want is called
/etc/ppp/options.

Paul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hans Wolters)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: 13 Jun 1999 21:04:22 GMT

Ollivier Civiol <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> found a keyboard
 and wrote the following ....

>Kevin Heath wrote:

>> As root, do a "hwclock --systohc".
>>
>> -Kevin
>
>Hi,
>
>How to get Win95 to sync it's time with the linux box then ?

Make a netlogon batch file for the samba user (windows client). See
the samba docs.

Regards Hans

--
              Linux links & CMI8330 (Soundpro) HOWTO
          http://home.gelrevision.nl/~h.wolter/linux.htm

From: "Bob Crandell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP connection speed
Date: 13 Jun 1999 13:44:47 -0800

ATS95=46 works on some modems.  Others will return an error.

D. Michael Basinger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...