From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Duncan Simpson)
Subject: Re: Dell Poweredge Server - SNMP
Date: 8 Jun 1999 11:13:44 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Choong Kar Fai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Hello,
>    I have purchased a Dell PowerEdge 1300 recently and found out from
>the manual that the system allows the administrator to check on machine
>status, eg Temperature, hardware status, etc.  The system does ship with
>Windows NT SNMP applications to does that, but could get the same info
>under Linux?

I found something called lm_sensors that works nicely on my PII/350
which features one of the supported chips on the motherboard. Chances
are your machine uses one of the supported chips too (there is a list of
things manufacturers use, which is relatively short all well covered by
the lm_sensors stuff).

Duncan (-:

--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Duncan Simpson)
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: 7,e,1 chat 8,n,1 pppd?
Date: 10 Jun 1999 12:08:15 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Mark & Candice White <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I need to connect to an isp that does its ppp
>with the port set to 8,n,1. But you must log
>in using 7,e,1.

>In a (sorry) windows dun script you can
>set it to 7,e,1 then look for 'ame:',and
>'assword:' then set it back to 8,n,1.

>I have two locations (1 isp, 1 remote office)
>to dial to. I'm using a chap script as part
>of pppd.  That I want to have daild run,
>while using ipfwadm. Under RH5.2

>How can I do this in linux?

Try writing a little shell script that changes to 7,e,1 lets chat to
the talking and switches back to 8,n,1 before returning (and letting
pppd do its stuff). See the stty man page and use redirection to twiddle
the serial line.

From: Bob Weeks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Specifically, What NT service now be run on linux?
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:56:20 +0100

Jonathan Guthrie wrote:

> James Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> I am currently using NT for the following, what services could i run on
> >> linux?:
>
> >  Yes:-
> >> DNS
> >> WINS Server
> >> DCHP Server
> >> File/CD-Rom Server
> >> Web Server
> >> Firewall (CheckPoint Firewall-1 4.0)
> >> Print Server
> >> IMAP Server (exchange)
> >> SMTP Server (exchange)
> >> LDAP (netscape)
> >> Network Monitoring
> >> Master Browser
>
> > (I've used Linux for all of these myself, except LDAP, WINS and DHCP).
>
> I've run DHCP.  Works okay.
>
> >  Probably no (but I may be wrong):-
> >> Backup Server (Seagate Backup Exec)
> >> RAS
>
> Funny, I've used Linux for both of those.  I doubt that Seagate's software
> works, but there's Knox Software's Arkeia which will back up all your
> (his) Windows stuff.  If he's willing to give up his Exchange server, he
> certainly should be willing to use different backup software.

I need to have the Exchange functionallity anyone know it there is a Linux
version or port?

Bob

------------------------------

From: Bruce Fletcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Red Hat 6.0 serving private intranet
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:15:26 GMT

Short 'n sweet:

Linux box --- crossover 10BT cable --- Mac, neither can ping the other.

Details:
I have a new Linux box, running Red Hat 6.0.  It also has a small Win95
test partition, with which I verified that all the hardware (including
the ethernet card) is functional.  After much frustration, I have
managed to get the ethernet card to be recognized by linux.  ifconfig
reports eth0 is alive and well, and the box can ping itself both with
localhost and eth0's IP address, but the first packet never goes
anywhere when pinging my Mac (an old G3 running MacOS 8.5) and the Mac
can't ping the Linux box either.

I understand the basics of UNIX, but I am no sysadmin.  How do I get
there from here?  Is there some lower-level diagnostic than ping that I
should be using?

- Bruce

PS; as a service to anyone searching usenet for ethernet adapter advice,
I would like to state that my ethernet card with 'EN5038' on the main
chip is aparently a Realtek 8139 clone, and the rtl8139 driver can find
the card and even query it for irq and i/o address.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Bernd Eggink <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NIS, YP problem.
Date: 14 Jun 1999 20:47:38 GMT

Grant Schoep <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     I am trying to get a SuSE Linux 2.2.5 machine  to connect to our NIS+
> server(in YP compat mode). I cannot get it to bind to the NIS domain. Here's
> an example of my problem.

> $ ypcat hosts
> YPBINDPROC_DOMAIN: Domain not bound
> No such map hosts.byaddr. Reaseon: Can't bind to server which serves this
> domain

> The NIS server is a SOlaris 2.7 machine, running NIS+ and yes, its in YP
> compat mode. I have several DEC's and SGI's which are connected via NIS(YP).

> My rc.conf lines are
> YP_DOMAINNAME="sanjose.storm.com"
> YP_SERVER="199.69.40.1"

> This is all correct.

Are you _sure_ your domainname is correct? It looks suspiciously like an IP
address!

Bernd

--
Bernd Eggink
Regionales Rechenzentrum der Uni Hamburg

------------------------------

From: "¿à¥Ã¬Û" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: About the datasheet of digital 21143-PC netowrk adapter.
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:18:56 +0800

Hi, I am a newbie on the network area.

I want study the DEC 21143-PC netowrk driver on Linux.

How can I get the datasheet of this network adapter.

Can somebody can mail pdf format file for me ??

e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you in advance.

Jack Y.H. Lai.

------------------------------

From: Matthew Marlowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Scriptable telnet Client
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 03:18:52 -0700

Brian,

I might be wrong, but I think O'Reily also wrote a book about "expect".
I can think of no better support...

Matt

--
Matthew Marlowe       http://www.jalan.com/   (p) 909.799.3805
[EMAIL PROTECTED]   Jalan Network Services   (f) 909.799.3285

------------------------------

From: Matthew Marlowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Server Problem....
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 03:22:44 -0700

Evhen,

Sounds like you have a problem with either advanced power management
on the server or some form of network keep-alive problem.  Have you
disabled all the APM features in the BIOS?

Thanks,
Matt

From: Matthew Marlowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Apache 1.3.6/FP Server Extensions
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 03:24:03 -0700

Checkout www.rtr.com

Matt

From: Matthew Marlowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Internet/Proxy Bandwidth control
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 03:28:18 -0700

Grant,

I haven't actually used it, but the newer linux kernels come
with the ability to turn on "traffic shaper" functionality.
The terminology seems to be taken from the feature on cisco
routers which allows bandwidth on network interfaces to be
controlled to average and burst limits.

Take a look in the kernel source code or in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation.
You'll probably need 2.2.x or above.

Good luck!
Matt

From: DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Help! Cannot use the gateway (another linux)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:41:41 +0000

S P Arif Sahari Wibowo wrote:

> On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Andrey Smirnov wrote:
>
> >Can you please include the output of your netstat -rn and ifconfig -a
> >commands from both Linux machines.
>
> Wow! Using netstat I found out the problem! Thanks!
>
> I forgot to mention that I use RedHat Linux 6.0 in the second machine and
> I used its linuxconf to configure the network. Well, apparently whether
> the linuxconf didn't do the job right or the network scripts was faulty,
> it doesn't put the gateway right:
>
> Kernel IP routing table
> Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
> 192.168.100.3   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 U      1500 0          0 eth1
> 192.168.100.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U      1500 0          0 eth1
> 127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U      3584 0          0 lo

Put these two lines in your /etc/sysconfig/network file:

GATEWAY=192.168.1.x (whatever your gateway device's IP is)
GATEWAYDEV=eth0

I'd be willing to bet they're not in there.

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal virgins anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilford Wimbley)
Subject: Re: Direct Connect Linux&Win ??
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 05:14:50 GMT

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 19:08:56 GMT, Nicholas E Couchman
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You don't need to use IPmasq.  You do need the crossover cable, and the software
>should take care of itself.  Just make sure you have IP addresses set or setup a
>DHCP server on your Linux machine.  If you are able to ping between the
>computers, your services should be working.
>--Nick
>
>dpc wrote:
>
>> > 2: One box (the Win98/NT/Linxu) has a modem (home from school for the
>> summer
>> > :-( hehe) and I want to be able to access the internet from the box w/o a
>> > modem through that direct connect I have between the two NIC cards.
>>
>> Nevermind about the question above.  I've found enough info on ipmasq to see
>> what I need to do.  However, most of the info I've seen has the computers on
>> an LAN.  And especially any of the solutions for windows machines being the
>> server and linux as the client.  hrmph :\  I don't have one set up at home,
>> I just want to be able to do this through the direct connection.  Possible?
>> How, please.  ;o)  Thanks again
>>
>> dpc

Actually, I think you do need to use masquerading to share the one
modem connection.  Or IP chains or whatever it is that people do
instead of masquerading.  I am currently doing that with a hub full of
win95 machines and a linux server that's masquerading them on the net.
I learned how to do it from the excellent text _The Linux Network_ by
Fred Butzen and Christopher Hilton.  There are also howto's, but I
don't know exactly where.  I usually find them by searching at
redhat.com and linux.org and by searching newsgroups at dejanews.com.

You do need a crossover cable, if you don't use a hub.  I don't think
the machines will ever know the difference, however.  You have a lan
consisting of one machine and a server.  Or a lan consisting of two
peers, if you want to look at it that way.

good luck!
GW

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilford Wimbley)
Subject: Re: samba with 2 network adapters
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 05:19:29 GMT

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 23:39:48 GMT, "Steve Cowles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I have the same setup. 2 NIC's, one gets its IP from a DHCP server
>(connected using ADSL), the other is static (Internal LAN). You might want
>to check the following settings in your smb.conf file. NOTE: I did not list
>the second interface as the comments recommend in the smb.conf file. Samba
>still works as it should.
>
>Hope this helps
>Steve Cowles
>
>BTW: My Internal LAN is as follows:
>Network Address: 192.168.1.16/28 (255.255.255.240)
>Internal Address (Linux): 192.168.1.17
>Broadcast Address: 192.168.1.31
>
><cut/paste of smb.conf file>
>
># workgroup = NT-Domain-Name or Workgroup-Name
>    workgroup = COWLES
>
># server string is the equivalent of the NT Description field
>    server string = Cowles's Linux Server
>
># This option is important for security. It allows you to restrict
># connections to machines which are on your local network. The
># following example restricts access to two C class networks and
># the "loopback" interface. For more examples of the syntax see
># the smb.conf man page
>   hosts allow = 192.168.1.16/255.255.255.240
>
># Configure Samba to use multiple interfaces
># If you have multiple network interfaces then you must list them
># here. See the man page for details.
>   interfaces = 192.168.1.17/28

Yeah, just list the fixed interface here, just like Steve did.

># Configure remote browse list synchronisation here
>#  request announcement to, or browse list sync from:
>#       a specific host or from / to a whole subnet (see below)
>;   remote browse sync = 192.168.3.25 192.168.5.255
># Cause this host to announce itself to local subnets here
>   remote announce = 192.168.1.31
>
>aan of melnibone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>
>> I am running linux with 2 network adapters and samba is not working
>> it is said to put the 2 ip adresse in smb.conf file but one card (eth0)
>> use dhcp
>> but i want to share files with the other one (eth1 with fixed ip)
>>
>> thanks for any help

Isn't in Melinbone, as opposed to Melnibone?

regards, GW

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Barry Margolin)
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.dns.bind
Subject: Re: named.conf "option forwarder" vs. resolv.conf "nameserver"?
Date: 14 Jun 1999 15:14:50 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Steve Snyder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Can someone explain to this DNS/BIND newbie the functional distinction
>between the "options forwarder" in named.conf and the "nameserver" in
>resolv.conf?
>
>To me, they sound like they act identically: if a name cannot be resolved
>locally, the specified remote host is called upon to do the resolution.

That's only true if you're running a nameserver on the local machine.  Most
people don't run a nameserver on their workstation, and the nameserver line
in resolv.conf is how they tell the resolver where the nameserver is.

The forwarders option in named.conf is used to force the nameserver to send
its non-local queries to a specific server.  Normally, the nameserver will
perform an iterative query by starting from the root servers.

--
Barry Margolin, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.H.M. Dassen (Ray))
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.programmer,comp.os.linux.development.apps,it.comp.linux.development
Subject: Re: unix ftp API ???
Date: 14 Jun 1999 08:54:44 GMT

[F'up set]

Max Liccardo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I'm looking for a free unix ftp API. I have to develop an application for
>sending and retriving files via ftp.

Depending on your particular needs, you could
- Use an external application that already does this (like wget, curl,
  snarf; look for details at http://freshmeat.net)),
- use some perl code (see Net::FTP(3pm)),
- or use a library like ftplib (ftp://ftp.cnj.digex.net/pub/cnj/pfau/).

If you insist on implementing it yourself, you can find the relevant
standards and specification on many places on the net, e.g.
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/ .

HTH,
Ray
--
Obsig: developing a new sig

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (peter)
Subject: in.ftpd : login failed
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:53:40 GMT

I´ve set up wu-ftpd-2.4.2b18 on my redhat5.2 and when login from anywhere
(localhost or other machine) I get the errormessage login failed, even
the password is definitely correct.

the entry in inetd:
ftp     stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.ftpd -l
so I dont have the /etc/ftpaccess enabled.

the syslog-entry does not tell me a lot more:

Jun 14 23:31:55 goldfisch ftpd[15120]: failed login from
goldfisch.atat.at [192.168.1.1], root
Jun 14 23:32:00 goldfisch ftpd[15120]: FTP session closed

I also checked /etc/pam.d/ftp, but it seems to be ok right to:

#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_listfile.so item=user
sense=deny file=/etc/ftpusers onerr=succeed
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_shells.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so
session    required     /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so

and the use I tried to logon with (root) is also listed in /etc/ftpusers

what the hell is wrong here.
(tcp/wrapper ist also not the problem, cause I come to the login ...)

peter

=================
pilsl@
ANTISPAM
goldfisch.atat.at

------------------------------

From: "abn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ASUS V3800 TNT2 with linux
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:50:03 +0400

Hi, pete!

yes of course, but assign _ONLY_ 192.168.0.30 (with mask: 255.255.255.224)
to it!

...otherwise you will have very-very-very big-g-GGGGG problem with tv-conn
:-)

P.S. also try to look :
http://www.nvidia.com/Products.nsf/htmlmedia/software_drivers.html
-> touch accept, read faq....