Linux-Networking Digest #535, Volume #11         Tue, 15 Jun 99 00:13:53 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Linux firewall & load-balancing NAT & NT-IIS (Paul Boyer)
  Re: timeout on telnet login (Lee Allen)
  Setting up a name server ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: watching the local network (Roberto Nunnari)
  Re: Try and figure this one out (DNS problem) (Greg de Freitas)
  Diald keeps dialing... (Scott Weber)
  DHCPD and DNS ("Carl D. Blake")
  Re: Linux Win98 Networking Problems!! ("Carl Filpo")
  Re: samba and smbclient problem ("Carl D. Blake")
  Re: Network (Atomic) Time ("David Means")
  smtpd deson't start and localhost no response (Hongsheng Wang)
  Re: Samba + PPP / Dialup (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: Red Hat 5.2 --- postgresql /starting the postmaster ("uswest news")
  Re: "Promiscuous mode enabled" ("George Georgakis")
  Re: Help! Cannot use the gateway (another linux) (S P Arif Sahari Wibowo)
  Re: Linux Win98 Networking Problems!! ("uswest news")
  Re: "Promiscuous mode enabled" (Gilford Wimbley)
  E-mail programme for Linux..? ("Andrew Wedding")
  Re: modem schmodem (Duncan Simpson)
  Re: PPP (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: Terminal Program (John Thompson)

From: Paul Boyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Re: Linux firewall & load-balancing NAT & NT-IIS
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 03:46:36 +0200

Also you can use the portforwarding tools to reverse masquerade the web
servers. the port forwarding provides a load balancing mechanism.
buying a commercial solution is probably not the good choice in this
case.
Paul

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Lee Allen)
Subject: Re: timeout on telnet login
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:02:42 GMT

On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 02:03:31 +0100, "Hugh Saunders"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Why is it a pain to get the prompt back? Surely you just run telnet again?

Basically the xterm application exits.  So the user has to restart it.
This is a device that is completely and totally dedicated to running
xterm (at least for now), and to require the user to restart the
application is unacceptable.  Plus most of these users have never used
a mouse or a GUI.

Basically we're trying to replace dumb terminals with something just
as simple.

-Lee Allen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Setting up a name server
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 00:13:58 GMT

Hi, here's my situation.  I will be running a web site off my computer
which is hooked up to the net via a cable modem in a few weeks, after I
buy my domain.

What I'm looking to do is very simple, I want to set up a name server so
that *.mydomain.com will point to my computer.  I've read the man pages
and even a few RFCs to get more of an idea of what I need to do, but I
can't do anything so far.

Now this may be becuase I was trying to test it out using my computer's
host name, lyn57-25.optonline.net, but I get nothing when I try
www.lyn57-25.optonline.net for example.  Will I have to buy the domain
to test it out?  I would really appreciate any clear directions on what
I need to do to set this thing up.  Thanks!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Roberto Nunnari <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: watching the local network
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:11:33 +0200

Thanks a lot. I'm using netwatch.

bye.
--
              Roberto Nunnari -software engineer-
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Greg de Freitas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Try and figure this one out (DNS problem)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:20:05 GMT

"Christopher R. Carlen" wrote:

> Friday everything worked fine.
>
> Saturday I logged into my dial up account, and I got messages from
> Netscape and my IRC client that the servers (all servers with a name)
> weren't in the DNS.
>
> So I started pinging them.  Sure enough, ping finds them.  Then when I
> stick the IP addresses from ping into Netscape, and my IRC client, I can
> get where I want to go.
>
> What happened?  Why can ping look up IPs, but not my other apps?
>
> I have a resolv.conf that looks like:
>
> domain inreach.com
> nameserver 209.142.0.2
> nameserver
>
> It always looks like that, even when I'm not on my ppp connection.  My
> ppp script attempts to swap this resolv.conf with a dummy one suitable
> for when I am not connected, but it doesn't work and this is my
> resolv.conf all the time.
>
> It has never been a problem before.
>
> The only thing strange I did (not even as root) lately was move some
> ..pdf files from /tmp to one of my directories, in order to capture a
> ..pdf that had been downloaded and viewed by acrobat.
>
> Furthermore, I have two copies of linux on my machine.  I mirror my
> entire linux installation on another partition, and I can boot into
> either one.
>
> The one I am using now is a backup from two weeks before my current
> dillemma.  It is working fine, with no DNS problems.  So I know it is
> not my ISP.  Also, they told me no one else is reporting DNS problems.
>
> Please advise if you've got any ideas.  Thank you!
>
> _____________________________
> Christopher R. Carlen
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> My OS is Linux 2.0.29
Try a recursive diff of the two systems piped to less, and get eyestrain until
you find the crucial evidence!
--
Ciao 4 now, Greg.
# Email     :  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   #

------------------------------

From: Scott Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Diald keeps dialing...
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:54:47 GMT

I've been monitoring this NG for this answer for a while,
and have seen much discussion about it, but not a lot
of answers I'm looking for.  I've also searched the WEB
for instructions and not had much (any) luck.

My setup: I'm using slakware 3.5, kernel 2.0.34.
IP masq - Diald on a home network, all work great, except it
dials at the slightest action.

So here's my questions:
I'm using the example diald.conf from the mini-howto and
I put it in /etc/ but is that the right place?  Because it's
not ignoring things that the script says to ignore.

Where/what do I do with the diald.defs?  They appear
to define things in the diald.conf, but the howto
didn't say anything about them, just shows them.
Do they need to be somewhere when you build diald?
or are they interpreted during load and execution?

Finally, I also have samba installed, and it works great,
with one minor complaint. When I try to browse the linux
box from WIN (Nt and 95 network neighborhood), it causes
diald to dial as well, and the linux box won't answer the
Win box until the dialin is complete.  All I want is to
browse the directories in the linux box, I don't want it
to dial into just to do that.

It would appear I (and perhaps some others posting similar
questions) are looking for some useful information, which
is hard to find.
Any answers or pointings to sites and packages would be
appreciated!

-Scott Weber
========
Life is like a simile, but it truley is a metaphor!

------------------------------

From: "Carl D. Blake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DHCPD and DNS
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:00:46 GMT

I have a linux system which is acting as a DHCP server in a network with
several Windows 95/NT machines.  I would like all the machines to be able to
access each other over TCP/IP by their host names.  I would like to do this
without having to maintain a hosts and lmhosts on each Windows machine.
Also, since the DHCP server is assigning IP addresses dynamically to each
Windows machine, how can I make it so that the linux system can resolve the
name of each local machine to an IP address?  I've read the DHCP HOW-TO and
I couldn't find a solution there.  Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: "Carl Filpo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Win98 Networking Problems!!
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 23:54:53 +0800

Sounds to me like the cable

------------------------------

From: "Carl D. Blake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Re: samba and smbclient problem
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 15:28:17 GMT

Huh?
You can enable file and print sharing in Windows95 for TCP/IP, IPX, NetBEUI,
and NetBIOS.  But this is Windows95 not Linux.  My problem was that I did
not have file and print sharing enabled for TCP/IP.  I know that Linux uses
TCP/IP to route SAMBA packets.  I can only assume that if sharing for TCP/IP
is disabled on the Windows95 machine then the Windows95 machine will refuse
all TCP/IP packets that attempt to access shared systems on the Windows95
machine.  And I assume that this is the way Linux does it.

From: "David Means" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Network (Atomic) Time
Date: 15 Jun 1999 02:59:10 GMT

YouDontKnowWho <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:KKf93.19246$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On my Windows machine, I have a couple of applications that will
> connect to the Atomic Clock in Boulder Colorado and syncronize the PCs
> time with it.
>
> Is there such a thing for Linux?  Also, if I can get it done with
> Linux, can I also set it up to serve time to other machines in my
> network?
  I guess you mean NTP (the Network Time Protocol.  There are detailed
discussions of how to deal with standards of various types on Dave Mills'
website at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/

------------------------------

From: Hongsheng Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: smtpd deson't start and localhost no response
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:14:15 -0400

I just converted from M$ Windowz to linux and installed RedHat 6.0 on my
laptop. I have a modem to dial to my ISP. I have no trouble using
netscape to check my email. I also try to use fetchmail+qmail+serialmail
to get email to my computer. However, that doesn't work. As for qmail, I
can sent email local to local, local to remote. But it doesn't receive
any email from smtpd port because, I think, that daemon is never started
even though I put it in inetd.conf. When I try to ping localhost, it
says "network not accessable". What problem could that be?

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba + PPP / Dialup
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:10:34 GMT

This is very possible.  With Samba, it should be just like dialing a WinNT
machine.  Make sure on your Wintel computer to set up the dial up
connection to log onto a network.  Also make sure you have Microsoft
Networks service installed on this machine.  On your Linux end, make sure
that Samba is set up to do domain authentication logins.  You should be
able to dial in and after the TCP/IP connects, you should get an MS
Networks logon prompt.  Enter the username, passwd, domain (should be setup
beforehand), and go!
--Nick

------------------------------

From: "uswest news" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 5.2 --- postgresql /starting the postmaster
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:10:35 -0600

=======_NextPart_000_0038_01BEB64E.24BCA640

Check out this link that addresses setting up postgreSQL on RH5.2

http://linuxtoday.com/stories/6454.html

-George
    James Gardner wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
    New to databasing on the Unix-Linux platform. Does anyone have any =
ideal on the following?
    =20
    1.) How to setup the PGDATA environment variable?
    2.) How to get the postmaster running?
    3.) How to get started in general?
    =20
    Thanks,
    James

=======_NextPart_000_0038_01BEB64E.24BCA640

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD W3 =
HTML//EN">
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Check out this link that addresses =
setting up=20
postgreSQL on RH5.2</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><A=20
href=3D"http://linuxtoday.com/stories/6454.html">http://linuxtoday.com/st=
ories/6454.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>-George</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 solid 2px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: =
5px">
    <DIV>James Gardner<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message &lt;<A=20
    =
href=3D"mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]">[EMAIL PROTECTED]</A>&gt;...<=
/DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>New to databasing on the Unix-Linux platform. =
Does anyone=20
    have any ideal on the following?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>1.) How </FONT><FONT size=3D2>to setup the =
PGDATA=20
    environment variable?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>2.) How to get the postmaster =
running?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>3.) How to get started in general?</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
    <DIV><FONT size=3D2>James</FONT></DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

From: "George Georgakis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: "Promiscuous mode enabled"
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 03:39:42 GMT

Promiscuous mode means your machine is receiving and monitoring EVERYTHING
passing through it's LAN segment. If you haven't deliberately set this up,
I'd agree that you MAY have been compromised. More likely it's just a
glitch. It could be the reason why it's hanging - though it shouldn't.

To disable the mode, do an ifconfig on eth0 using the -promisc option.

Do a man ifconfig for more details.

George
I never reply by email as a) I don't give out my real email address freely,
and b) it stops other NG users from reading the solutions to problems
If necessary, however, I can be contacted thru geegs (a) linuxstart DOT com

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in article <7k3rqs$42p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

From: S P Arif Sahari Wibowo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: Help! Cannot use the gateway (another linux)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 11:19:00 -0500

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Andrey Smirnov wrote:

>Can you please include the output of your netstat -rn and ifconfig -a
>commands from both Linux machines.

Wow! Using netstat I found out the problem! Thanks!

I forgot to mention that I use RedHat Linux 6.0 in the second machine and
I used its linuxconf to configure the network. Well, apparently whether
the linuxconf didn't do the job right or the network scripts was faulty,
it doesn't put the gateway right:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
192.168.100.3   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 U      1500 0          0 eth1
192.168.100.0   0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U      1500 0          0 eth1
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U      3584 0          0 lo

The default gateway was not set!
It also had a route to itself (192.168.100.3). I don't know why and what
for. The first machine doesn't have it.

So I use route and manually add the default gateway and remove the route
to itself. Now it works correctly!

Now the problem is where to put the command so this routing will be set
automatically on startup.

Thank you!

>S P Arif Sahari Wibowo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>
>> Here the setup of my system:
>>
>> There is one machine running Redhat 5.1 acting as a gateway (doing IP
>> maquerading, firewalling, etc) for the local network. There is several NT
>> machines using it as gateway and everything works fine.
>>
>> Then I set up another machine with Redhat 6.0. I set it up to use the
>> first box as gateway. I can ping the first box, I can telnet to it, etc.
>> using the local network IP, but the second machine cannot reach the "real"
>> IP of the first machine and obviously cannot reach the internet.
>>
>> I set the IP of the second machine in the same IP pools for the NTs, so it
>> already set up in the host.allow of the first machine. I setup the second
>> machine to use the first machine as the default gateway.

                                   S P Arif Sahari Wibowo
  _____  _____  _____  _____
 /____  /____/ /____/ /____           [EMAIL PROTECTED]
_____/ /      /    / _____/          http://spas.8m.com/

------------------------------

From: "uswest news" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 10:05:18 -0600

This may sound dumb, but check well your null cable. I had the same problem
until I got the connections right. Failing that, post your routing table and
ifconfig output.

Regards,

George

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilford Wimbley)
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 03:51:07 GMT

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 12:32:09 +0200, "Carlos RCU" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Hi all:
>    I got a server with an ISDN and a ETHERNET card. The server has a valid
>IP address on the Internet. I use the ISDN card for connecting remotely to
>the server from a router on a LAN, so the LAN has direct access to Internet.
>    Everything works properly but after a big amount of time that the server
>has no network tasks to do (after weekends most of the times) the systems
>hangs up but it answers to a ping. I have to restart the server for putting
>it back to work.
>    I don't have any idea where the problem could be and the only weird
>thing I found is the following message on the system log:
>    kernel: eth0: Promiscuous mode enabled
>
>    I didn't have seen that message before having problems.
>    What the hell is that means?. Any idea for why the ethernet adapter
>hangs?.

I am almost sure your server has been hacked.  (Compromised)
Disconnect it from the internet and examine it carefully. Delete any
unknown accounts, and disable any unneccessary services.  etc, etc,
etc.

sorry.

GW

------------------------------

From: "Andrew Wedding" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: E-mail programme for Linux..?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:09:48 +1000

Hi everyone, just a question regarding e-mail.

Other than the normal text-based e-mail programmes that come with Linux (ie
elm and pine) is Netscape the only (best) e-mail programme with HTML
capabilities?  What programmes does everyone else use?

--
Kind Regards,
*************************************

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Duncan Simpson)
Subject: Re: modem schmodem
Date: 14 Jun 1999 16:04:08 GMT

In <7jop89$2kgq$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "TwoSheds" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I want to connect to my ISP with RH6. I have a SupraMax modem. I think I've
>configured my PPP interface, etc, but I don't get any sort of sound out of
>my modem when I try to connect, although no error messages are reported.

>How do I test my modem. I have tried to use minicom, but to be honest, don't
>understand what I'm supposed to do with it. If I could just send some AT
>commands to my modem, or anything else someone can suggest then it'd be a
>start.
>Is kermit the key to this? I don't seem to have it on my system, and I can't
>download it from the net, cos my modem's not working :)

Try sending some AT commands to the modem. ATI<n> for various values
of n is moderately interesting. Next move is to ATD your ISP and see
whether is gives you some prompts (quite common) or wants to hear PAP
or CHAP immderiately (alos common). Write a chap script that does the
right thing, starting with soem AT commands.

Duncan (-:

--
Duncan (-:
"software industry, the: unique industry where selling substandard goods is

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPP
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 03:56:42 GMT

This is a little follow up.  I did some debugging and forwarded all PPP
daemon messages to /dev/console so that they show up on the current
console.  Here is the error message that I get:
[pppnnn]:  modprobe: module not found: ppp-compress-21
[pppnnn]:  modprobe:  module not found:  ppp-compress-23
Please help!  Thanx in advance.
--Nick

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Terminal Program
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:13:35 -0600

Stefan Traber wrote:

> i'm looking for a terminal program for Linux which is scriptable (like
> Telix for Windows).

Try C-Kermit from the kermit project at Columbia University.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])