Linux-Networking Digest #538, Volume #11         Tue, 15 Jun 99 06:13:48 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Dual NIC Help Please (Aris Cruz)
  Re: in.ftpd : login failed (Bill Unruh)
  Re: E-mail programme for Linux..? (Andrew Crouse)
  Re: network interfaces won't activate (Aris Cruz)
  Re: PPP Scripting... Help? ("BraveMikey")
  Fix for nfs RedHat 6 (Robert Key)
  Re: ethernet problem (Spudly)
  PPP Setup Question (Klea Dzonsons)
  RH5.2 and D-Link 530TX card (John B)
  Re: diald latest version (Villy Kruse)
  Re: ethernet problem (cYe)
  Anybody know which apps need to be recompiled... (A Guy Called Tyketto)
  Re: Please recommend a network rack that's affordable (FenderAXE)
  Re: wu-ftp (David Bell)
  Re: Setting up a two computer CSLIP network. ("Jürgen Pfann")
  Re: RH5.2 and D-Link 530TX card (Mogens Kjaer)
  Eicon ISDN card and the 2.2 kernel ("Øystein Hermansen")
  Re: Can I connect to X from W95? ("Marcel Peter")
  Re: Network (Atomic) Time (DanH)
  smail, email and network help please ("Adam Aron")
  kppp and pppd dying unexpectedly ("Michel Roux")

From: Aris Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual NIC Help Please
Date: 15 Jun 1999 06:30:50 GMT

>From what you last posted, it seems only logical that the problem is not
with linux, but more like the crossover cable to your cable modem or the
cable modem itself.  I actually have the same config, except with a 2.2.5
kernel and it has been working great.  The only problem was the fact that
@home uses DHCP and for some reason, it wouldn't take my IP settings for
the interface that is connected to it.  I would reboot to windows and
never saw a problem.  I know this sounds wierd, but I just powered off the
modem, rebooted it the same time with my linux box and for some reason it
worked.  I know this is not a good technical reason, but for some reason
it worked.

sorry for the long story

aris
Ron Cordell wrote:

> Here is more info:
> No kernel recompile. One NIC is 3COM 3C509, the other is Intel
EtherExpress.
> It does not matter which card handles which network, I get the same
> symptoms.  One card is connected to a cable modem while the other is
> connected to an internal network.
>
> THanks,
>
> Ron Cordell
>
> Aris Cruz wrote in message <7k33mm$d6v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> >Question?  Did recompile your kernel for support your NIC.  Also, what
> >kind of nic.  I have had problems with 2.0.36 and etherexpress16 and
> >recompiling the kernel helped.  How about putting your some more info
like
> >the cards you are using, did you recompile the kernel, cable modem or
DSL?

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: in.ftpd : login failed
Date: 15 Jun 1999 06:28:25 GMT

In <01beb6e0$130b74c0$0101a8c0@george> "George Georgakis"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Root is normally NOT allowed to FTP for security reasons. I suggest that,
>instead of trying to "fix" this, just create and use an user account.

>If you really have to have root FTP access (good luck!)... well, I don't do
>RedHat, but you might have a look at your /etc/ftpaccess file (if you have
>it).

That is /etc/ftpusers
as listed in /etc/pam.d/ftp

>>auth       required     /lib/security/pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny
>file=/etc/ftpusers onerr=succeed
>>
>> and the use I tried to logon with (root) is also listed in /etc/ftpusers

If you note, that line in /etc/pam.d/ftp says that that file is to be
used to deny, not allow, the users in /etc/ftpusers.

------------------------------

From: Andrew Crouse <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: E-mail programme for Linux..?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:32:57 -0400

Dear Andrew,

I think KMail is a wonderful program.  It is part of the kde project.

You can find it at www.kde.org

Sincerely,

Andrew Crouse

------------------------------

From: Aris Cruz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: network interfaces won't activate
Date: 15 Jun 1999 06:30:47 GMT

some things you might want to do is first do a dmesg to see if you system
sees interface eth0.  If not, edit the file /etc/conf.modules to reflect
the correct module for your card.
for example ne2000 compatible card

alias eth0 ne
options ne             io=0x300 irq=5

now after a reboot, you should see eth0 when you do a dmesg |more.

>From there you can go back to your netconf, or you can do a:
ifconfig eth0 (ipaddress) (mask)

Hope this helps

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: "BraveMikey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PPP Scripting... Help?
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 19:50:53 +0200

I got the same kind of problem, please help. I dial up and establish a
connection to the ISP. Then I open Netscape but I get error messages, that
the program cannot access any website. (" http://www.example.com "not
accessible)

please help

------------------------------

From: Robert Key <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fix for nfs RedHat 6
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:49:05 +0200

Hi,
 I had problems with nfs, especially rpc.nfsd. I got the message
nfssvc:  Function not implemented.
A fix is as follows:
  uninstall knfsd and knfsd-clients
  install nfs-server-beta37 from redhat 5.2
   also install the nfs-server-clients from redhat 5.2
They work fine for me, perhaps just a bit slow.
You can get them from the mirror sites or from my manchine.
ftp://panda.pentech.ac.za/pub/nfs-fix   (2 files)
Hope this helps.
Cheers,
  Rob
--
Robert Key
Department of Electrical Engineering, Peninsula Technikon

------------------------------

From: Spudly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ethernet problem
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:15:51 +1000

cYe wrote:
> I just installed Red Hat 6.0 and am having trouble installing my
> ethernet card. I have a unicom FEP-4206-EP 10/100 PCI ethernet card and
> none of the drivers that the kernel supports works with autoprobe and my
> computer will not detect the PCI card.I have a manufacture disk though,
> that has a driver source file and and object file for linux red hat
> 5.2(Fe4206.c,Fe4206.o).I can not figure out for the life of me how to
> install these drivers.Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> Simon

Would it be possible to stick the .o file in /lib/modules, or putting it some
place so that it could be compiled as a module? What instructions came with the
source and object file? Surely, there must have been a 'readme'...

Anyone else got any ideas? Is what I'm doing sane??

Regards,
-Spud.

------------------------------

From: Klea Dzonsons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPP Setup Question
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 05:05:21 +0930

Hi,

Ive worked out why I cant get my linux box to connect to my server.
My ISP uses WindozeNT!

Does anyone know of any FAQs or HOWTOS on setting up a connection to a
Windoze server?
Is this possible at all?

Please Help!

thanks in advance
Klea Dzonsons       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: John B <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH5.2 and D-Link 530TX card
Date: 14 Jun 1999 23:55:50 PDT

Hi all,
I am a Linux virgin and I cant seem to get my D-link card working.
I am using the supplied version of tulip from RH 5.2. I really havent a
clue what to
do about it. One of my problems is that my RH is not on the network -

1 - how can I get files from Windows onto my linux box?
2 - how can I solve my DLink problem?

Thank You

John B

Take Dumb out of my mail id
THANKS!!!!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: diald latest version
Date: 15 Jun 1999 10:09:24 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chris Barton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>what the latest version of diald

Check http://diald.unix.ch and find out.

Villy

------------------------------

From: cYe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 07:25:43 GMT

Spudly wrote:

> cYe wrote:
> > I just installed Red Hat 6.0 and am having trouble installing my
> > ethernet card. I have a unicom FEP-4206-EP 10/100 PCI ethernet card and
> > none of the drivers that the kernel supports works with autoprobe and my
> > computer will not detect the PCI card.I have a manufacture disk though,
> > that has a driver source file and and object file for linux red hat
> > 5.2(Fe4206.c,Fe4206.o).I can not figure out for the life of me how to
> > install these drivers.Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
> > Simon
>
> Would it be possible to stick the .o file in /lib/modules, or putting it some
> place so that it could be compiled as a module? What instructions came with the
> source and object file? Surely, there must have been a 'readme'...
>
> Anyone else got any ideas? Is what I'm doing sane??
>
> Regards,
> -Spud.
yea...here's the linux.txt-

This Linux driver and source are patched driver from the original driver
for Linux RedHat v5.1 to support Unicom PCI 10/100Base Fast Ethernet
adapter.

The source can be recomplied to run in the various versions of Linux in
the market.

I just have no experience compiling the kernel and wasnt sure, at that,
if I had to compile it with the kernel or seprately.. I don't want to
make things worse :)
simon

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A Guy Called Tyketto)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Anybody know which apps need to be recompiled...
Date: 14 Jun 1999 14:02:15 -0500

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (FenderAXE)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.networking
Subject: Re: Please recommend a network rack that's affordable
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 08:29:26 GMT

Many thanks to all who answered my post!  I appreciate your taking the
time.

FA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Bell)
Subject: Re: wu-ftp
Date: 14 Jun 1999 19:13:47 GMT

Are there any howtos that might help me do this?

=========================
David Bell

Please don't email me just reply on the board.

------------------------------

From: "Jürgen Pfann" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up a two computer CSLIP network.
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:34:26 +0200

Jon Striley wrote:

> Hi.  I am trying to network via CSLIP (I think that is the best protocol
> to use) two linux systems.  One runs Redhat 5.2 , the other uses SuSE
> 5.3.
>    I have a null modem cable hooked to the parallel port on the redhat
> box, and a serial port on the SuSE machine.  I want to have both
> computers just talk/ aka. ping as a first priority.  Eventually I would
> like both to be able to print via  a printer on the SuSE box, and
> connect to the internet via the modem on the Redhat box.  I would also
> like both systems to be able to share files.  Right now I have nothing,
> not even a ping gettings through.  I am totally lost.  I think I can
> figure out everything if I just get them to talk.  Could someone tell me
> how to get them taking?  Thanks.

Hi,

I recommend you go and buy a parallel 'laplink' cable ($5-10) and use
PLIP (Parallel line IP) instead. The benefits are a much easier
setup (IMHO) and 3-4 x the speed, compared to serial transfer.
The disadvantage is, it is more difficult if one of your boxes
uses a parallel printer or any other parallel device - but then you'd
de better off with a 2nd parallel interface ($10 for 8bit ISA, which
is far enough!).
Look at the PLIP-HOWTO and the PLIP.txt in /usr/src/linux/Documentation
for more info - it's worth it !!

Juergen

------------------------------

From: Mogens Kjaer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RH5.2 and D-Link 530TX card
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:57:15 +0200

> I am using the supplied version of tulip from RH 5.2.

Use the via-rhine driver instead. It's included in newer
2.0.x and 2.2.x kernels.

Mogens

--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08

------------------------------

From: "Øystein Hermansen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Eicon ISDN card and the 2.2 kernel
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:47:55 +0200

Have anybody had any success with the Eicon Diva ISDN PCI v2.01 card ?

I know the v2.0 version of this card is supported, but the v2.01 version
is not found by the kernel (unknow network is reported back).

I have the Suse v2.2.5 version of the kernel. (Suse v6.1)

Please respond by mail as well.

Thanks.

Oystein Hermansen
e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (privat) or [EMAIL PROTECTED] (work)

------------------------------

From: "Marcel Peter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Can I connect to X from W95?
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 03:21:34 -0400

You will find XWIN32 at StarNet: X-Win32

--
============
Marcel Peter, CSS-UDS

Michel van der Kleij <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schrieb im Beitrag
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> In addition to MI/X (which indeed is very inflexible, I had lots of
trouble
> getting enough fonts to do anything useful), there's a package called
XWIN32

------------------------------

From: DanH <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Network (Atomic) Time
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:05:30 +0000

YouDontKnowWho wrote:

> On my Windows machine, I have a couple of applications that will
> connect to the Atomic Clock in Boulder Colorado and syncronize the PCs
> time with it.
>
> Is there such a thing for Linux?  Also, if I can get it done with
> Linux, can I also set it up to serve time to other machines in my
> network?

Yes to both.

look at your /etc/ntp.conf and insert a few (recommended three or more)
stratum=2 servers, kill -HUP your xntpd daemon from /etc/rc.d/rc2.d then
wait a couple minutes and type

xntpdc
peers
quit

and you'll see that you're synchronizing to those servers.  Set your
other boxes up to look at that one for their time.

That's a quick down and dirty, you want to read this page and follow
most of it's links, though for an explanation of what's going on and to
find servers:

http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/
http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~ntp/ntp_spool/html/notes.htm

Dan
--
UNIX - Not just for vestal virgins anymore
Linux - Choice of a GNU generation

------------------------------

From: "Adam Aron" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: smail, email and network help please
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:03:27 +0100

Hi
I've installed linux and an ethernet connection to a main unix server. I'm
getting my Email from the unix server via pine, but there are ongoing
problems. I'm told that I should use smail. I dowloaded smail via ftp from
qiclab.scn.rain.com and then gunzipped and ran tar on it. However, it has
not installed into my directory tree in the way that the documentation said
it would. Moreover, I'm not even sure that smail is what I want.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Adam

------------------------------

From: "Michel Roux" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: kppp and pppd dying unexpectedly
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:46:57 +0200

First, thanks to all those that helped me to solve my connection problem:
I now can setup a PPP connection using a script, which works for both root
and "normal" users accounts, or using kppp ...

BUT kppp works only when I'm logged as root.
When logged as user, it dials out, receives the CONNECT statement, and then
I get the message:
        "pppd daemon died unexpectedly"

(I off course did chmod on pppd, and even a chown on
$HOME/.kde/share/configg/kppprc)

Any clue?

Michel Roux