From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Need help getting networking running
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 15:45:56 GMT

Greetings,
Has anyone managed to get the "insmod tlan
duplex=2" to work in real life ? When I try I get
a message "invalid parameter duplex" and the same
goes for speed.

On the bright side I also have a "Compaq Ethernet
NIC PCI DUAL 10/100" card with 2 10/100 ports on ,
I use the driver eepro100 and when I do

insmod eepro100 debug=255 options=0x30,0,0x50

it actually forces the card in to 100 mb - full
duplex , but when I give the same options in
conf.modules it just ignores the card and skips

Any ideas/tips/hints ?

Thanks in advance

/TC

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ramesh Shankar)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Linux kernel/networking related question ...
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:59:08 GMT

I have been trying to figure out which is the correct news group for
Linux kernel related (I mean system software as opposed applications)
discussions.  In case I posted in the wrong news groups, any pointers
would be apprecited.  Also, I am new to Linux.

After a while I have figured out that Linux v2.2 has support for SMP
and that the Linux v2.2.10 kernel uses a giant lock with a global run
queue for thread scheduling.  Am I right or am I mistaken?

Secondly, is Linux TCP/IP (more generally the networking code)
multithreaded/parallelised?  I downloaded the Linux v2.2.10 source and
am trying to figure out whether the TCP code is
multithreaded/parallelised or not, but it would be easier if someone
could give me some pointers on it.  Does the SMP version distribute
interrupts (specifically LAN) across all processors or do the
interrupts fire only one processor?

Thanks,

S.R.
Ramesh Shankar       E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Novell Inc.
Provo, UT
U.S.A.

  All opinions expressed are my own.  I don't speak on behalf of Novell
        E-MAIL ADVERTISING IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED TO THIS ADDRESS.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: "Promiscuous mode enabled"
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 21:22:47 GMT

Your computer has probably been compromised, i suggest you take it
offline, and check to make sure everything is right, no unknown users,
no suid shells, no unneccessary ports open, etc... ...just a thought.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Lyndon Hills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Carlos RCU wrote:
> >
> > Hi all:
> >     I got a server with an ISDN and a ETHERNET card. The server has
a valid
> > IP address on the Internet. I use the ISDN card for connecting
remotely to
> > the server from a router on a LAN, so the LAN has direct access to
Internet.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A Guy Called Tyketto)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Anybody know which apps need to be recompiled...
Date: 14 Jun 1999 18:13:05 -0500

        BTW.. forgive the crossposting.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: How to make lookups start with /etc/hosts?
Date: 15 Jun 1999 18:50:22 +0200

In article <376672bf.10448523@news>,
Thomas Zajic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:06:43 GMT, YouDontKnowWho wrote:
>
>> I didn't quite understand your post, so maybe this will be wrong.
>> I think that the "order hosts,bind" line belongs in /etc/resolv.conf,
>> not /etc/hosts.
>
>Close. ;-) The correct file is /etc/host.conf.

Which is used on systems running libc5.

On redhat systems and other systems running glibc2 aka libc6 the file
is /etc/nsswitch.conf and the default contents as installed on redhat
system is to lookup in /etc/hosts before asking dns.  It would try nis
and nisplus first, but I usually remove those entries.

BTW.  nslookup bypasses all that and does DNS lookup only.  Sendmail
too does DNS lookups first for at least the MX informations.

::::::::::::::
/etc/nsswitch.conf
::::::::::::::

passwd:     files
shadow:     files
group:      files

hosts:      files dns

services:   files
networks:   files
protocols:  files
rpc:        files
ethers:     files
netmasks:   files
bootparams: files

automount:  files
aliases:    files

--

Villy

------------------------------

From: Barry Margolin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer
Subject: Re: Remote Execution
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:38:52 GMT

In article <01beb65c$012b1640$81708ea1@wpng>,
MicroNg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi
>
>Some question on remote execute hope your can help,
>
>I want to use  rsh  for this purpose,  (through dial-up, ppp connection
>which have been done),
>but the linux rsh only said "rsh remote-system-name linux-command" where
>the login name and
>password is not specified, and when I do testing,
>1. if I don't make the .rhosts file is user home directory, -- acess denied
>- OK undestand
>2. if I put in, - wait infinite for this, why ?

rshd tries to open a second connection back to your client machine, to use
for sending stderr.  Your dialup ISP may be blocking this connection (it
uses a low-numbered port, in the range that servers might use.

--
Barry Margolin, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: Walt Shekrota <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Network (Atomic) Time
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 23:18:05 GMT

There is an example for Java folks in the Core Java volume II

You could translate this to any language you want. Just a simple momentary
socket connection. A great learning project. Send me email if you can't
find the info .... remove 'nul' from my id.

-Walt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: Samba: Had it; lost it.
Date: 15 Jun 1999 19:00:13 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Yuki Taga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The command: smbmount \\\\akajishi_s\\C -c 'mount /mnt/tmp -u 123 -g 456'
>Akajishi_s is the name of an NT BDC, and it has a valid share named C.

Is this the right command to use?  Maybe should be:

 smbmount \\\\akajishi_s\\C /mnt/tmp -U username -u 123 -g 456

Or you can use forward slashes too; that is friendlier to the shell.

 smbmount //akajishi_s/C /mnt/tmp -U username -u 123 -g 456

SYNOPSIS
smbmount servicename mount-point [ -h ] [ -C ] [ -n ] [ -P password ]
   [ -s server name ] [ -c client name ] [ -I hostname/IP ]
   [ -U user name ] [ -D domain name ] [ -u uid ] [ -g gid ]
   [ -f file mode ] [ -d dir mode ] [ -m max xmit ] [ -p port ]

------------------------------

From: Rage-DCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: printing from windows to a linux print spool
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:50:00 GMT

ok, i'm using lprng, gs5.85, and apsfilter5.1.2 and it works great. i
am also running samba2.0.4b and thats working great with my hp deskjet
660 cse. i know my printer works because i can print off the computer
it is connected to and from another linux server. one problem though,
i can't get windows95 to set it up right. i have windows setup right
with everything else so it jives with samba, i just don't know how to
setup the printer itself

what printer driver do you use for windows 95? the hp driver? an
postscript printer driver?
should i make windows use a RAW or EPM spool type? and what should i
link it to on linux (a raw spool, or normal spool)? if anyone has a
setup kinda like this, please let me know. thx alot.

--

Jason Osborne (Rage-DCA)
- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: why is always "PPP NOT enabled"?
Date: 15 Jun 1999 16:55:41 GMT

hello,
    when i keyin my username and passwd after i dial on the
network through ISP, why it gave my the message "ppp NOT enabled"?
i have already add the service "ppp0".
   thank for you answer.
   EN6.16.1999 in Taiwan

------------------------------

From: "Bob Glover" <app1rtg_at_air.ups.com>
Subject: Re: Firewall/Proxy Server
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:18:39 +0100

You should consider using a transparent proxy.  That's a Linux box (doing
routing) that intercepts internet-bound packets and forwards them to the
proxy.  A transparent proxy does not require any changes to the applications
in your office.  That could be a big time-saver.

I don't have detailed instructions or anything, but I just wanted to make
sure you considered the option.  I'm sure someone who has _actually_ used a
transparent proxy can fill in the details.  And of course I'd also be
interested in that too.

------------------------------

From: "Bob Glover" <app1rtg_at_air.ups.com>
Subject: Re: Linux - Win98 via crossover
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 16:24:59 +0100

>Is 255.255.255 a valid subnet mask for 161.68.1.0?  I sure don't think so.

It's okay.  It's a host route.

[snip]

>On 15 Jun 1999 05:30:51 GMT, in article
<7k4oeb$3p7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Nick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>I have a linux machine up and running with IP of 161.68.1.1 Sub
>>255.255.255.0 and win98 is 161.68.1.2 255.255.255.0
>>They are connected via crossover, after I setup linux, i did the win box,
>>rebooted it, and started pingin the windows box from linux during reboot,
>>it did recieve a response, but as soon as i start up any application on
>>the win machine, i no long recieve replys to my pings from the linux side.

Some DOS applications, especially those that quit Windows and run in DOS,
will do this.  They "swap" Windows out of memory, effectively stopping all
network services.

>># route
>>Destination    gateway    Genmask  Flags Metrics Ref Use Iface
>>161.68.1.1      *    255.255.255.255 UH   0        0 0    eth0
>>161.68.1.0      *    255.255.255.0   U    0        0 0    eth0
>>127.0.0.0       *    255.0.0.0       U    0        0 0    lo
>>
>># ifconfig
>>eth0  Link encap:Ethernet  HW:xxxxxxxxxx
>>      inet addr:161.68.1.1 Bcast:161.68.1.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
>>      UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
[snip]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Tang)
Subject: Packet Transfer Size
Date: 15 Jun 1999 17:20:06 GMT

  Hello All :

    How does one change the packet transfer size in C on Linux ?
  Please give a detailed description, not "use setsockopt"...

--

                                          Tom Tang
                                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (L J Bayuk)
Subject: Re: printing setup problems
Date: 15 Jun 1999 01:40:57 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>Matt Templeton wrote:
>
><snip>
>
>>  I can print from the local box, but on remote boxes I
>> > receive an error:
>> >
>> >             lpr: connect: Connection refused
>> >             jobs queued, but cannot start daemon
>
>Then I check the lpq and see this:
>
>emachine.markzee.net: waiting for queue to be enabled on pigpen
>
><status of jobs queued>
>
>pigpen.markzee.net: lpd: /var/spool/lpd/lp: unknown printer

This message means: The machine you are printing from is trying
to send to an non-existant printer on the server. But I can
guess more: I'll bet your printing machine's printcap has:
    :rp=/var/spool/lpd/lp:
It should be just this:
    :rp=lp:

------------------------------

From: "bentium" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NE2000 on Redhat 6.0
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:56:50 +0800

modify linux/drivers/net/ne.c, uncommenting the line containing
NE_RW_BUGFIX.
ReCompile Kernel.
if ur NE2000 card is PnP then Disable it.
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Wilson)
Subject: Re: Setting up a name server
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 02:01:12 GMT

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 00:13:58 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>Hi, here's my situation.  I will be running a web site off my computer
>which is hooked up to the net via a cable modem in a few weeks, after I
>buy my domain.
>
>What I'm looking to do is very simple, I want to set up a name server so
>that *.mydomain.com will point to my computer.  I've read the man pages
>and even a few RFCs to get more of an idea of what I need to do, but I
>can't do anything so far.
>
>Now this may be becuase I was trying to test it out using my computer's
>host name, lyn57-25.optonline.net, but I get nothing when I try
>www.lyn57-25.optonline.net for example.  Will I have to buy the domain
>to test it out?  I would really appreciate any clear directions on what
>I need to do to set this thing up.  Thanks!

Well, first of all, make sure your ISP will let you run a web server
off your cable modem. Looking at your address, it appears to be
dynamically . If that's the case, you won't be able to (easily) have a
domain on your system.

You need two name servers for a domain. See the internic's
registration procedure at http://www.internic.net

I'll bet your ISP will not let you run a web server with your current
account.

Paul

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Win98 Networking Problems!!
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:13:26 GMT

It sounds to me like your Win98 end is failing (after all, unless it's a driver,
there isn't much that can go wrong in Linux, and SMC works in Linux, I have
one).  I would check settings, etc., on the Win9x end.
--Nick

From: "Carl D. Blake" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCPD and DNS
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:45:28 GMT

But I can't do a ping using the host name from one Win95 machine to another.
Each machine doesn't know the others IP address.  I would think that the DNS
server somehow needs to determine the IP address of each machine and then
translate that name to an IP address when requested to do so.  So somehow
there has to be a link between the DHCP server (which determines the IP
address for each machine) and the DNS server (which translates the host name
to an IP address).  I thought the sharing you're referring to was done
through NetBEUI or NetBIOS (which is working fine).  I just want to be able
to access other computers via TCP/IP.  I'm hoping there is a way to setup my
Linux server to provide the correct IP address given a hostname when that IP
address was given to a machine via DHCP.

------------------------------

From: "Mountain Mike^^" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 10:07:50 -0700

Rui Soutelino <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7k399c$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Thanks for the info, by now I´m really convinced that it's a Winmodem, but
> believe that I found the solution for the problem!

I've been trying to research which modems are Win and which are not. The
confusion lies in the many recent changes made by the mfgs. Does anyone have
a list of those that are REALLY compatible with Linux? Maybe suggest a
printer or two also?

MM^^<--thinks there is a conspiracy out there.