From: Charly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: nfs & inode question
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:37:59 +0200

Hi all,

        I wonder if there's a link between nfs inodes and ext2 inodes.
Actually, I got nfs errors telling me that that inode 556367879 is busy
and that it points to communicator4.5.
But on my hard drive, the communicator4.5 's inode is 1701924.

I don't understand nothing !! Help me please !
Thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: PPP session works, but cannot ping
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:15:43 GMT

I am having difficulty with PPP in getting to any IP addresses with my
ISP.  I am using Caldera OpenLinux V2.2.  After some initial
difficulties with the default gateway settings, I was able to dial into
the ISP and apparently setup a ppp session.  However, I cannot seem to
communicate with anythig outside my system.  I have reviewed the routing
table carefully, everything seems to be correct, but when I ping
anything through the gateway, I get no response.

I used the instructions from W.G. Unruh's "How to hookup PPP in Linux",
and essentially got the same results.  Unruh indicates that if you
cannot ping IP addresses, there is something wrong in the routing
configuration, but I certainly cannot find the problem.  Please review
my configuration and let me know what I am doing incorrectly.  I have
included a listing of:

        PPP options file
        chat command line
        debug log dump
        route -n output during ppp0 session
        resolve.config file
        host.config file
        host.alow file
        host.deny file

Thank you in advance for your help!

###
# /etc/ppp/options - options for pppd
#
#6/14/99        version for HOWTO hookup PPP
lock
crtscts
defaultroute
noipdefault

=======================================

[root@thorin /root]# pppd /dev/ttyS3 115200 debug connect " chat -v ''
ATZ1 OK A
TD3034180006 CONNECT '' name: ******** word: ######### "

=======================================
pppd[1773]: pppd 2.3.5 started by root, uid 0
chat[1774]: send (ATZ1^M)
chat[1774]: expect (OK)
chat[1774]: ATZ1^M^M
chat[1774]: OK
chat[1774]:  -- got it
chat[1774]: send (ATD3034180006^M)
chat[1774]: expect (CONNECT)
chat[1774]: ^M
chat[1774]: ATD3034180006^M^M
chat[1774]: CARRIER 48000^M
chat[1774]: ^M
chat[1774]: PROTOCOL: LAP-M^M
chat[1774]: ^M
chat[1774]: CONNECT
chat[1774]:  -- got it
chat[1774]: send (^M)
chat[1774]: expect (name:)
chat[1774]:  115200^M
chat[1774]: Welcome to PCI Systems^M
chat[1774]: ^M
chat[1774]: ^M
Jchat[1774]: username:
chat[1774]:  -- got it
chat[1774]: send (********^M)
chat[1774]: expect (word:)
chat[1774]: ^M
chat[1774]: username:********^M
chat[1774]: Password:
chat[1774]:  -- got it
chat[1774]: send (########^M)
pppd[1773]: Serial connection established.
pppd[1773]: Using interface ppp0
pppd[1773]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS3
pppd[1773]: rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x24b62bb5>
<pcomp> <accomp>]
pppd[1773]: sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x2 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x24b62bb5>
<pcomp> <accomp>]
pppd[1773]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0> <compress VJ 0f
01>]
modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-21
modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-26
modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-24
pppd[1773]: rcvd [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <compress VJ 0f 00> <addr
208.234.80.119>]
pppd[1773]: sent [IPCP ConfAck id=0x1 <compress VJ 0f 00> <addr
208.234.80.119>]
pppd[1773]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x1 <addr 0.0.0.0> <compress VJ 0f
01>]
pppd[1773]: rcvd [IPCP ConfNak id=0x1 <addr 208.198.212.112>]
pppd[1773]: sent [IPCP ConfReq id=0x2 <addr 208.198.212.112> <compress
VJ 0f 01>]
pppd[1773]: rcvd [IPCP ConfAck id=0x2 <addr 208.198.212.112> <compress
VJ 0f 01>]
pppd[1773]: local  IP address 208.198.212.112
pppd[1773]: remote IP address 208.234.80.119
pppd[1773]: Terminating on signal 15.
pppd[1773]: sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "User request"]
pppd[1773]: rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x3]
pppd[1773]: Connection terminated.
pppd[1773]: Hangup (SIGHUP)
pppd[1773]: Exit.

[root@thorin /root]# route -n
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
208.234.80.119  0.0.0.0         255.255.255.255 UH    0      0        0
ppp0
192.168.1.0     0.0.0.0         255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
127.0.0.0       0.0.0.0         255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
lo
0.0.0.0         208.234.80.119  0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
ppp0

# /etc/resolv.conf - DNS setup file
#
# possible entries are:
#
#       domain <domain>                 Local domain name. If not
present, the
#                                       gethostbyname syscall is used to
#                                       determine the local domain name.
#
#       search <list_of_domains>        Search list for hostname lookup.
#                                       The search list is normally
determined
#                                       from the local domain name but
it
#                                       can be set to a list of domains.
#
#       nameserver <ip_addr>            Define which server to contact
#                                       for DNS lookups. If there are
#                                       multiple nameserver lines
(Max=3),
#                                       they are queried in the listed
order.
#
# !!! Automatically generated by lizard. Do not edit !!!
#
domain nodomain.nowhere
search nodomain.nowhere
nameserver 208.198.212.250
nameserver 207.76.102.251

=====================
/etc/host.config

order hosts,bind
multi on

=====================
#
# hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
ALL:ALL

=====================
#
# hosts.deny    This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               *not* allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
#               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
# The portmap line is redundant, but it is left to remind you that
# the new secure portmap uses hosts.deny and hosts.allow.  In particular
# you should know that NFS uses portmap!
#swat:ALL EXCEPT 127.0.0.2

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Reccomendations for Linux DHCP daemon?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:09:49 GMT

We are moving services from our NT and Netware boxes to our Linux box
and want to get a good DHCP and mail server for it. Can anyone here
reccomend a good DHCP daemon (our first priority) and a good mail
client.

The DHCP daemon must keep its data in an accessible text file so we can
access it through our interactive sign-up site (currently the only non-
automated part of our process). It also must have the ability to block
out ranges and hold reservations for specific hardware addresses so we
can keep people at their same IP throughout the year.

The mail server needs to be a standard mail server. We don't want
anything fancy, just something solid that sends and receives mail and
doesn't try to be a "groupware" or anything like that.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Sincerely,
Jeremy Pollack
Assistant Network Administrator, University of Connecticut RESNET
Project

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Charly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with telnetd
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 14:42:33 +0200

tomislav wrote:

> When I try to telnet to my linux box, it says:
> telnetd: All network ports in use
>
> It even happens when i try telneting from that machine to itself (telnet
> localhost).
> Anyone know what could the problem be?

Hi,

        Look at /etc/inetd.conf and /etc/services.
Search for telnet and compare with mine. I think the problem could come
from these files.

/etc/inetd.conf :
telnet  stream  tcp     nowait  root    /usr/sbin/tcpd  in.telnetd

/etc/services :
telnet          23/tcp

You must have another daemon listening port 23.

Hope this helps !

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Diamond Supra Express 56i PRO Pci modem
Date: 15 Jun 1999 19:20:06 GMT

In <7k617q$6t3$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Mountain Mike^^" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:

>I've been trying to research which modems are Win and which are not. The
>confusion lies in the many recent changes made by the mfgs. Does anyone have
>a list of those that are REALLY compatible with Linux? Maybe suggest a
>printer or two also?

If it is a PCI modem it is almost certainly a winmodem If it is not the
manufacturer will proudly state the fact on the box that the modem works
under any operating system.

If it is USB, forget it. USB support for anything is primative to
non-existant in linux.
If it is ISA, there is a reasonable probability it is useable-- if it
has jumpers on board for you to select the IRQ and port, than the
probablity goes up.
If it is an external serial cable connected modem, the chances are very
high that it is useable.

Try the site

http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem
and refereces therein for advice on modems.

------------------------------

From: Green Screen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux & @Home Service.
Date: 15 Jun 1999 18:19:11 GMT

linux will install on something as low-end as a 386... just install all
the tcp/ip packages, and read the IPMasq howto. you can get to it from
metalab.unc.edu/LDP

good luck
Lint^^

Tigger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I am wanting to set up some type of network and have heard a lot of great
: things pertaining to LINUX Red Hat 5.2.  I now have it but don't actually
: know what I am needing as in machine processor speed, HD size or memory.  I
: am wanting to setup a server to allow my laptop, gamer machine and
: girlfriends machine to access the net through one connection.  I was told
: that linux was the best way to go and the most cost effective.  Please any
: advise as to how and what I should do as in a plan of action please respond
: as soon as possible. I really am in need of help.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: How to make lookups start with /etc/hosts?
Date: 15 Jun 1999 19:38:41 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Duncan McIntyre <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Anyway, the issue is that I would like my Linux Workstation to use its
>/etc/hosts file for name resolution before trying any nameservers. I
>have

It does. Unfortunately Netscape decided to impliment their own resolver
routines and completely ignore the machne it was installed on. Netscape
thus does NOT use the hosts file. There is no way you can force it to as
far as I know. It ignores all options you have set and just goes its own
merry way. Yell at Netscape!

>/etc/hosts:
>order hosts,bind
>.
>But nslookup never goes to /etc/hosts. Apparently Netscape uses the same
>mechanism as nslookup to resolve names, because when I start it it hangs
>for several minutes while it tries to resolve a bunch of names. If I
>start ppp on the server before I start Netscape there is no problem.

nslookup is precisely to look up things on the web and not to look at
your hosts table ( the writers assumed you could look at your own hosts
file yourself).

>However the mechanism I have to start ppp uses a web-page on the server
>to bring it up and down and give statistics. Which means I'm screwed,
>since Netscape can't find the address of the server unless ppp is
>already running.

Well, tell netscape not to resolve any names. Ie, do not have it start
up anything when it starts-- or give it a file on your own machine as
the home page. NOte that you could also put in the IP address of the
server instead of its name That way there is nothing to look up.

------------------------------

From: "David C. DiNucci" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,linux.help
Subject: Re: where the heck ARE the linux drivers @?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:40:56 +0000

Dave wrote:

> how about generic NE drivers?  or NE2000?
>
> Bob <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > i've checked linuxdrivers.net  - it sends me to linuxberg, where there
> > are NO drivers to be found...
> >
> > i've searched everywhere else i can think of...
> >
> > where's the best repository for linux drivers?

Try http://www.beowulf.org/linux/drivers/
-- Dave
David C. DiNucci          (503)439-0481             e l e p a r
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://www.elepar.com/    Portland, OR

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: WIERD NETWORK CONFIGURATION PROBLEM....
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:17:37 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "David B. Hostetler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Okay here is the setup.
> "Bob" is computer A. WinNT server with service pack 5.  He is the
domain
> master.
> "Leonard" is computer B. A RedHat 6.0 Workstation class install with
> Samba added. We also want to use leonard as an IP firewall.
> "Stanley" is computer C. A RedHat 6.0 Workstation.
> "Chuck" is computer D. A Windoze 95B Workstation.
> "Oscar" is computer E. A Windoze 98 upgrade Workstation.
>
>     Right now they are all configured for DHCP. The internet
connection
> is an ADSL router. Leonard does not currently have IP masquerade set
up.
> The problem is that Bob and Oscar cannot log onto Leonard, He shows up
> in network neighborhood but gives an incorrect password error to the
> user.
>     Is there something wierd about NT and 98 as far as passwords go?
> What do I need to edit and on what machines?
yes there IS something special about passwords on nt4&sp3 and win98,
they use password encryption
( i'm wondering you never heard that before)
you have to add EnablePlainTextPassword 1 in your registry
pls look for the correct key in this newsgroup or in nt.networking
somewhere .
or set up samba with encryption - again, pls look up this newsgroup or
samba/howto ( samba2.0 or better req)

From: Sylvain GIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: irc severs
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:47:35 +0000

Norberto Magni wrote:

> Is there anyone who know how to sertup an irc server ?
> I'm configuring a 486 :-) as "Internet emulators" for a school. This will be
> used for a training course.

Take a look at http://www.irchelp.org

Sylvain.

--
<>-o-<>-o-<>-o-<>-o-<>-o-<>-o-<>   |  <>-o-<>-o-<>-o-<>-o-<>-o-<>-o-<>
L'information Linux au quotidien   |         Daily Linux News

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux.dial-up,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: PPP Scripting... Help?
Date: 15 Jun 1999 19:46:03 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Moritz
Moeller-Herrmann) writes:

]On Mon, 14 Jun 1999 13:16:45 -0400, Troy C. Newman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
]>I finally got my modem working and am currently trying to configure my
]>dial-up connection... I've played a little with the commands  and have
]>dialed the isp but then nothing... is there a way to find out what the
]>script should say/do to establish and maintain the connection or is it a
]>matter of trial and error for different isp's.

]READ the FINE Manual, or more exact the pppd-howto.

]The best way to write a script(sure about script-no PAP/CHAP?) is to connect
]to your ISP via minicom and establish your connection manually (once). Then you just
]write down what the ISP asks and what you have to type. Then make a script as
]described in the HOWTO!

Unfortunately that only works if your ISP uses logon authentication.
Many do not and this will totally lead you astray.

Read the step by step guide
axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
for figuring out what your ISP wants and how to give it via a script or
whatever.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Zajic)
Subject: Re: Does anyone know what ports 31789 and 31790 are for?
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:45:08 GMT

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:56:27 GMT, David Kennedy wrote:

> [ ... ]
> They are showing up in my /var/log/messages and I am curious as to
> what someone is looking for.  (udp connection)

Be sure to post your results here if you find any:

Jun 15 21:24:02 sphere udplog: dgram to port 31789 from 195.2.5.65:31790
 (1 bytes)
Jun 15 21:24:18 sphere udplog: dgram to port 31789 from 195.2.5.65:31790
 (1 bytes)

TIA,
Thomas
--
=---        Thomas Zajic aka ZlatkO ThE GoDFatheR, Vienna/Austria        ---=
=--   "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw." M.C.   --=

------------------------------

From: Jamie Allen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printer prints extra page !
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 19:46:11 GMT

Hiya

I'm sharing a HPLJ 4 and a colour inkjet, connected to a linux box, to a
win 98 machine, using samba and apsfilter. Whenever I print a document,
to either printer, it dishes out one bonus blank sheet at the end of
*every* job. I'm sure this is one of those dumb questions... but I just
can't work out how to stop it doing it :) Help ?!

Cheers

Jamie.

------------------------------

From: "Mitch Appleby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: host.deny
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 13:48:03 -0500

Where do I find the format for host.deny?  Do I need more than a TCP/IP
address?  Is there a source that gives some examples?  I just need to block
a few individual stations from accessing the net.

Mitch Appleby

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: one ppp setup??
Date: 15 Jun 1999 19:15:37 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> kama <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
]My question is not how to get ppp working, but rather how do all the
]different ppp utilities work together.

]I am running rh60 with gnome and kde.
]So I have an option to setup ppp using linuxconf and everything works
]fine.
]Now if I decide to use kde's kppp I have to enter all the settings again
](or am I doing something wrong). Why can't I pickup the configuration
]already done with linuxconf. I assume that I will have the same problem
]if I choose to use gnome's ppp utility or when setting up a new user.

]So how can I have a single ppp setup that can be shared by all the
]wonderful ppp utilities.

Because each of the writers decided to do things differently. I think it
is far easier to just write you own script so that you retain control
over the system, but some like the fancy stuff that the other does (and
which half the time does not work).

Eg, see
axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
for even another way of doing things. (Although I think it also teaches
you what happens so you understand what the various bits of ppp are all
about, but then I am biased)

------------------------------

From: Bruce Fletcher <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Red Hat 6.0 serving private intranet
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 18:03:56 GMT

> Have you edited your /etc/hosts file?  It should contain a list of all
the
> hosts on your local network , e.g.
>
> #IP                         name                nickname
> 192.168.1.1          Linux
> 192.168.1.2          Mac
>
> Good luck,
> Joe

I think I did that, but I will check when I get home tonight.

Thanks,
- Bruce

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/