Linux-Networking Digest #565, Volume #11         Thu, 17 Jun 99 06:13:34 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Diald keeps dialing... (Frank Hahn)
  Re: printing from windows to a linux print spool (Rage-DCA)
  AmbiCom 10/100 Fast Ethernet CardBus PC Card (AMB8100) (Stephen Tsai)
  Re: eql and default route (Dustin Puryear)
  Re: Dns Problem (David Efflandt)
  Re: real newbie needs help on domain name registration (David Efflandt)
  Re: Squid does not work :(' ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: ip_masq_icq for kernel 2.0.36 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Bring up ADSL link on demand, how? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  IRC ("Sjoerd Venema")
  Can no one help me with interrupt problems? (Robin Jackson)
  Re: SuSE Linux 6.1 & PPPIOCGUNIT Operation not permitted ("Mike Worsfold")
  nfs knfs what work with other Unices ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Linux can't be a big role...???!!! (Stanislaw Flatto)
  cannot rcmd from sco to linux ("Tam McLaughlin")
  MultiIP topology question (Kevin Deane-Freeman)
  Re: Linksys LNE100TX (tulip) keeps going on and off ... conflict ? ("joe")
  Re: cannot rcmd from sco to linux (Thomas Zajic)
  linux router with proxy arp support for subnets ?? (Wim.Holemans)
  Re: can't connect to my isp using kppp (neuhardt)
  Re: can't get telnet up; BUT DEBUG mode WORKS!!!! (Bob)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Joseph T. Adams)
  Re: I need some help with IP MASQ (David Crooke)
  Re: Bandwidth priority? (Mike Jagdis)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
Subject: Re: Diald keeps dialing...
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:57:18 GMT

On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 04:23:13 GMT, Gilford Wimbley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote:
>On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 01:54:47 GMT, Scott Weber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:
>>I've been monitoring this NG for this answer for a while,
>>and have seen much discussion about it, but not a lot
>>of answers I'm looking for.  I've also searched the WEB
>>for instructions and not had much (any) luck.

There was a short article in the latest Linux Gazette (No. 40 or 41
I believe) on setting up diald.  The URL is http://www.linuxgazette.com.

>>My setup: I'm using slakware 3.5, kernel 2.0.34.
>>IP masq - Diald on a home network, all work great, except it
>>dials at the slightest action.
>>
>>So here's my questions:
>>I'm using the example diald.conf from the mini-howto and
>>I put it in /etc/ but is that the right place?  Because it's
>>not ignoring things that the script says to ignore.
>>
>>Where/what do I do with the diald.defs?  They appear
>>to define things in the diald.conf, but the howto
>>didn't say anything about them, just shows them.
>>Do they need to be somewhere when you build diald?
>>or are they interpreted during load and execution?
>>
>>Finally, I also have samba installed, and it works great,
>>with one minor complaint. When I try to browse the linux
>>box from WIN (Nt and 95 network neighborhood), it causes
>>diald to dial as well, and the linux box won't answer the
>>Win box until the dialin is complete.  All I want is to
>>browse the directories in the linux box, I don't want it
>>to dial into just to do that.

[Snipped]

>As far as the accessing samba causes link to go up problem, I'm not
>sure.  There is an option in smb.conf about resolving netbios lookups
>using DNS.  Do you have it turned off?  maybe that would help.  Also,
>if you configured your linux machine to be a caching name server for
>your windows machines, I imagine you could squelch the external
>packets.
>
>If you find a solution please post it!  This is clearly, as you have
>perceived, a common problem.

I know people have posted rules that can be used with diald to keep
the above from happening.  I did not have the time to search to find
them.

One suggestion I have is did you set up a hosts file on the Windows
machine?  It has the same format as the hosts file on the Linux machine.
It goes in the c:/windows directory.

Something else to look at is what networking protocols are being used
on the Windows machine.  The only one I am using is TCP/IP, not NetBui
or whatever MS Windows uses.

While at the Linux Gazette web site, look for the No. 20 issue I
believe.  It was from August 1997.  Look for the Weekend Mechanic
article.  It covers some of this.

A problem I had at one time was that Netscape was set to check email
at my ISP every 10 minutes.  I did not realize it.  I spent 2-3 weeks
trying to figure that one out until I realized what was happening.

I have the diald.conf file in the /etc directory.

The other files of mine are in /usr/lib/diald.

The diald.defs file has not been changed.  I only changed the
standard.filter file to lengthen the time diald stayed up.

--
Frank Hahn

Sweater, n.:
        A garment worn by a child when its mother feels chilly.

------------------------------

From: Rage-DCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: printing from windows to a linux print spool
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 06:35:05 GMT

Frank Hahn wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:50:00 GMT, Rage-DCA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >ok, i'm using lprng, gs5.85, and apsfilter5.1.2 and it works great. i
> >am also running samba2.0.4b and thats working great with my hp deskjet
> >660 cse. i know my printer works because i can print off the computer
> >it is connected to and from another linux server. one problem though,
> >i can't get windows95 to set it up right. i have windows setup right
> >with everything else so it jives with samba, i just don't know how to
> >setup the printer itself
> >
> >what printer driver do you use for windows 95? the hp driver? an
> >postscript printer driver?
> >should i make windows use a RAW or EPM spool type? and what should i
> >link it to on linux (a raw spool, or normal spool)? if anyone has a
> >setup kinda like this, please let me know. thx alot.
> >
> If I understand correctly, you want to print from the MS Windows
> machine to a printer connected to a Linux machine.
>
> On the Windows machine, just setup a network printer.  If Samba
> is configured correctly, it should be present so that you can
> browse for it when Windows ask you to.  Windows will then have
> you install the printer drivers for that specific printer.
>
> The data going to the printer on the Linux machine should be
> sent in binary format.  Samba should not do anything to the data.
>
> Setting up the printer on the Windows side should be straight
> forward.
>
> --
> Frank Hahn
>
> "Don't worry about people stealing your ideas.  If your ideas are any
> good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats."
>                 -- Howard Aiken

thanks for the help. the problem was that i didn't have the right
permissions set on /var/spool/samba

i was wondering what settings should be set though on that dir
what should the chmod and chown settings be.....i have the following right
now:
# ls -la /var/spool
drwxrwxrwt   2 root     root         1024 Jun 16 10:05 samba
is this the safest setting to place this on?

--

Jason Osborne (Rage-DCA)
- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Stephen Tsai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: AmbiCom 10/100 Fast Ethernet CardBus PC Card (AMB8100)
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:25:42 -0700

Thanks to Mr. Donald Becker's effort, AmbiCom 10/100 CardBus PC card now
supports Linux.

Please refer to http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/linux/drivers/tulip.html to
get the latest tulip.c (V0.91)

Stephen S. Tsai
AmbiCom, Inc. USA
01-408-727-6877
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dustin Puryear)
Subject: Re: eql and default route
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 23:12:55 -0500

On Wed, 09 Jun 1999 23:19:01 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I might have made the wrong move. Anyone know of any use in field as
>I had previously explained?

Any word on whether eql has actually been used to link two offices using
just linux machines? Any other options?

--
Dustin Puryear
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: Dns Problem
Date: 17 Jun 1999 01:54:39 GMT

On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:34:42 +0200, bv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have two computers. One with linux and one with win98. The dns is not
>working. If i type in linux: ping 195.195.195.195 it works correct, but if i
>type ping MB (195.195.195.195) it says: unknow host. The same with pinging
>my linux box under win98.
>How can i fix this?

Start by reading the NET HOWTO and selecting IP addresses in the private
range (like 192.168.x.x).  Otherwise if you ever connect to the internet
(ppp) your system would be totally confused with your current IP's

For a simple LAN it is much easier to simply put IP and name for the Win
box in /etc/hosts and IP and name of the Linux box in C:\windows\hosts.

Then you can read up on 'named' and see if you can really understand how
to configure it for local DNS.

--
David Efflandt   [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.xnet.com/~efflandt/
http://www.de-srv.com/   http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: Re: real newbie needs help on domain name registration
Date: 17 Jun 1999 02:18:54 GMT

On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 11:37:11 GMT, Mic Wang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I want to setup a webpage on my own computer, i am using cable with static
>ip
>address.  And I have some problems in filling out the Name Server
>Information which
>requires "Primary & Secondary Server Hostname:", "Primary & SecondaryServer
>Netaddress:"
>
>Below is the example figure that my isp provides for my computer able to
>connect to the net:
>
>Host Name: xxxxxxxx.yyyyy.eee.com
>DNS Servers: 123.123.123.1
>                        123.123.123.2
>                        123.123.123.3
>
>My IP address: 222.222.222.2
>
>Can anyone help me what thing should I put into "Primary & Secondary Server
>Hostname:", "Primary & SecondaryServer Netaddress:"??

If you want to use a domain name other than the name that your IP resolves
to you will need to make arrangements with your ISP or a 3rd party name
service.  I don't know if their are free ones around anymore, but I think
there are some that will do it for $25/yr.  Try doing a web search for
'dns' or 'name server'.  Otherwise Network Services (related to internic)
can do both the name serving and domain name submission for a slightly
higher fee than just the domain name.

But first make sure that your cable does not block incoming port 80 by
testing your webserver from outside using the existing hostname for your
IP (without 'www.' or anything else added).  They may not want people
plugging up their system with webservers.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Squid does not work :('
Date: 17 Jun 1999 14:34:34 +0800

It's a caching proxy server for HTTP.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ip_masq_icq for kernel 2.0.36
Date: 17 Jun 1999 14:14:37 +0800

That's right.. people outside seems not able to contact you behind the
masqueraded network. Your ICQ keep listen to the port 4000, and the
gateway got the incoming calls, but didn't forward to the appropiate
clients. Therefore people can only send you mail thru' server most of
the time, it's also impossible to send you files, initiate voice chat to
you. Correct me if I was wrong.

But the ICQ modules know an ICQ login request is not a normal request. I
record the port that the client will listen to, listen that port for them
forward the packets to the client also. It also did some hacks in file
request and voice chat as far as I know. So I think it's necessary for
a gateway masquerading ICQ.

You may also do this using SOCKS5 server from www.socks.nec.com, but the
SOCKS support code in ICQ seems broken. So I used to use SockCap32 in the
client side also. But now I no longer need them, I got the ICQ masq
modules and I am happy with it. :)

-Wilson

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Bring up ADSL link on demand, how?
Date: 17 Jun 1999 14:27:48 +0800

I guess you're using the Supernetvigator in Hong Kong. Me too... I assume
you got the connection client for Linux. I diald 0.99 to do the job for
demand connection. change the device from ttySx to eth0/eth1 in
diald.conf, there're a few scripts in /etc/diald/connect
/etc/diald/disconnect, check the actual name stated in /etc/diald.conf.
Just add a line to run the client in /etc/diald/connect and run the
client to disconnect the connection in /etc/diald/disconnect. Hope this help.
You may also want to logtime-2.1 package to count the connection time used.

Note: The ASDL service in Hong Kong area counts the usage by connection time.

------------------------------

From: "Sjoerd Venema" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IRC
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:37:35 +0200

Hi, I installed SuSE 6.1 and updated the kernel modules. I want to use MIRC
from a workstation trough the Linux box. Masquerading is on. Masq_irc is on
also but MIRC can't "resolve hostname". What am I doing wrong or forget??

THNX, Sjoerd

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Robin Jackson)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Can no one help me with interrupt problems?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:10:14 +0100

I have posted this problem before.

My Adaptec 1640 PC card SCSI controller and PC Card Ethernet controller are
sharing the same interrupt.

NOTHING I have tried will make them use different interrupts.

I am sure I must be overlooking something.

Regards

Robin

------------------------------

From: "Mike Worsfold" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: SuSE Linux 6.1 & PPPIOCGUNIT Operation not permitted
Date: 17 Jun 1999 07:26:45 GMT

Problem solved!

I downloaded kernel 2.2.7 from www.suse.com (14.5Mb), re-configured to add
SMP and my sound card, and made the kernel and modules, ran lilo and
re-booted.  Now I do not get the PPPIOCGUNIT error that I had with the
2.2.5 kernel that came with SuSE 6.1.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: nfs knfs what work with other Unices
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 07:45:45 GMT

Hello,

I have been using RH5.2 with a 2.2.10 kernal and user
space nfs-server to server files to Solaris, Irix, HPUX11,
Aix, OSF1 and Linux.  The problem is the performance is
poor.  There is no locking so compiles are a pain as I
have to redirect template databases to local writable
directories that can lock.  The Solaris box gets at what
seems like random directories instead of files during
compiles.

So I got HJ Lu's 1.4 knfs and build a new kernal with knfs
support.  The resulting system server much faster but only
to other Linux boxes.  Other Unices were unable to connect
and reported that nfs was not available on the server.

My question is what is going on with the user space server
is anyone out there working on it?  Is knfs working for any
one to server files to other Unices?  What should I do to
get a fast and reliable file server for all these machines?

Is samba an option?  It is much faster than user space nfs.
But I don't want to install it on all these machines.

Is their a distrabution out there that has a working knfs?

Thanks in advance for any good ideas.

Jason Boer

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Stanislaw Flatto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Linux can't be a big role...???!!!
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:46:09 GMT

Frank wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> says...
> > On Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:34:38 +0200, Frank <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[mucho deletia]

There is a product on market which seems to answer the demands
of "mouse sqeezing" community.
I seem to remember this product ver. 3.0 fighting nail and tooth against
the McIntosh and being compared to it on every occasion.
Linux was not born yet.
11 years later and this product is showing its age, not by being much
smarter and mature but by becoming senile and feeble compared
to the newer generation which is still growing AND learning.
And as this goes on DOS ver. 7 (aka Windows9x/2xxx) seems to be
on downhill slide.
But some will still swear by it, nothing to be done, each with his/hers
little perversions.

Stanislaw.

------------------------------

From: "Tam McLaughlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cannot rcmd from sco to linux
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:41:08 +0100

I am running RH 5.1 Linux and get the following error when trying the
command below from a sco box.

# rcmd jupiter ls
internet: Connection refused
#

All host names are ok and I have the following entry in the linux box

[tam@jupiter /etc]$ cat hosts.allow
#
# hosts.allow   This file describes the names of the hosts which are
#               allowed to use the local INET services, as decided
 #               by the '/usr/sbin/tcpd' server.
#
pluto
#ALL: ALL

any ideas ?

------------------------------

From: Kevin Deane-Freeman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: MultiIP topology question
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:04:26 GMT

I have three PC's, two of which are connected to @Home.  The third PC
runs Linux for an internal network server.  I would like to have all
three PC's connected internally with 192.168.0.x IPs and the two @home
connections remain on the two PC's.  Question is...can this be done with
only one Hub and one NIC in each PC or does it require 2NICs/Hubs?  So
far, I seem to be having limited success with just the one NIC in each,
but it's soo close, I'm not sure whether the config. is not right or the
hardware.

cheers,
Kevin

Config:
PC1
K6-2 350
Tulip PCI NIC
Win98
@home & Internal node

PC2
K6-266
Tulip PCI NIC
Win98
@home & Internal Node

PC3
P166 MMX
Tulip NIC
Redhat 6
Internal Server Only

------------------------------

From: "joe" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linksys LNE100TX (tulip) keeps going on and off ... conflict ?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 04:18:30 -0400

Dude,

  thanks for the post.  I was havin the same problem with the same card.
Now I have my nameserver for our little domain.

Joe

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Zajic)
Subject: Re: cannot rcmd from sco to linux
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:13:16 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:41:08 +0100, Tam McLaughlin wrote:

> I am running RH 5.1 Linux and get the following error when trying the
> command below from a sco box.
> [ ... ]
> any ideas ?

You want to run 'tcpdchk' to verify your config files (your /etc/hosts
is, well, "malformed" ;-), and 'tcpdmatch' to test whether a specific
host/daemon/user combination would be accepted or rejected with your
config.

Before that, you want to 'man 5 hosts_access' and 'man 5 hosts_options'.

HTH,
Thomas
--
=---        Thomas Zajic aka ZlatkO ThE GoDFatheR, Vienna/Austria        ---=
=--   "It is not easy to cut through a human head with a hacksaw." M.C.   --=

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wim.Holemans)
Subject: linux router with proxy arp support for subnets ??
Date: 17 Jun 1999 10:48:24 +0100

I was trying to build a pc based router with linux redhat 6.0. This router
howevers should support proxy arp for subnets and as far as i can tell,
this feature has been disabled in the latest kernels. Is there a way to
enable this again ? anyone has a patch for this or a suggestion how to
solve this problem ?

Wim Holemans                            phone + 32 3 820 22 03
Network/System manager                  fax   + 32 3 820 22 44
U.I.A.                         e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Antwerp Belgium  http://www.uia.ua.ac.be/u/holemans

From: neuhardt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: can't connect to my isp using kppp
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 1999 20:57:54 +0200

Melle wrote:

> Hi,
> i've got a problem with my RH5.2 distribution of linux! i configured kppp
> the way it was shown in several comp-magazines for logging in at my isp's
> server using PAP - but it doesn't work at all.
> the modem dials properly, but it fails to log in. my isp said that my login,
> password and servername should be added to the file /etc/ppp/pap-secrets,
> but i don't know how in detail. there are two lines of introduction: the
> format of an entry should be something like:
> client            server  secrets            IP adresses
> but what does this mean? i'm not good in English at all (you may have
> noticed that already *grin*) since i'm from Germany, hmm.
> if you know the answer to my problem please mail me to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> thanx,            Melle

Hi Melle
ich habe das gleiche Ptoblem gehabt mit SuSE Linux 6.1. Bei mir beendete sich
der "Hilfsprozess" nach dem anwählen des ISP. Manchmal ging es auch dann wieder
nicht usw. völlig unvorhersehbar :-)
Es gibt eine Konfigurationsdatei unter deinem Homeverzeichnis
$HOME/.kde/share/config/kppprc.
In dieser Datei waren bei mir zwei Abschnitte
# KDE config file
name=
[Account0]
.
phonenumber=
.
.pppdTimeout=

[Account1]
.
phonenumber=123456
.
.pppdTimeout=30

unter Account0 ware bei mir keine gültigen Einträge.
Darunter wiederholte sich alles, mit [Account1] aber mit den Einträgen, die ich
in den kppp-Einstellungen gemacht habe. Ich habe den gesammten Account0
gelöscht und nur noch die Einträge des Account1 so belassen, diesen aber nach
Account0 umbenannt.
Danach müssen beim kppp-Aufruf noch einmal die Einstellungen kontrolliert
werden. Dann ging alles
Nach dem Updaten meines SuSE-Packetes vom SuSe-Server geht kppp jetzt
allerdings gar nicht mehr.
Schon beim anklicken erscheint die Meldung mit dem Hilfsprozess oder eine neue
Meldung sagt das kene Sperrdatei?? für das Modem erzeugt werden konnte. Seit
dem verwende ich das Programm wvdial (unter root.; eigentlich eine glatte 6).
Bin auch für weitere Tips dankbar

Tschüss Dirk

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.help,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: can't get telnet up; BUT DEBUG mode WORKS!!!!
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:45:35 GMT

"Richard E. Veldwijk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Looks like a problem on the remote side.
>When a foreign hosts closes a connection, it has to do with
>authentication.
>I suggest you check passwords and/or IP-ranges the remote side doesn't
>allow.

only 1 problem with that theory - I have the same issue when
telnet localhost !

and i KNOW that localhost's ip ranges are allowed...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joseph T. Adams)
Crossposted-To:
omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft
Retest News
Date: 17 Jun 1999 09:57:13 GMT

Chad Mulligan ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
:
: They achieved the 99.8% availability of the site, with a very heavy load.
:
: But you can draw your own conclusions.

I certainly will.  :)

99.8% availability is abominable, even for a single machine.

That means most of a full day of downtime per calendar year (0.73 days
to be precise), and this could be all at once or (more likely) spread
over time.  *Planned* downtime in that quantity may not be bad, but
unplanned downtime in any amount is simply not acceptable to those who
need to use the system during that downtime.

A busy, important, commercial Web site should have no single point of
failure and hence no downtime at all, and therefore 100.0000%
availability.  Unplanned downtime should be measured in parts per
million (i.e., seconds per year).  All unplanned downtime, no matter
how slight, should be diagnosed, and those responsible for repeated
incidents of the same kind should be directed toward a more suitable
career, one in which they are not grossly incompetent.

Maybe Microsoft's customers, who tend to be technically illiterate
anyway, are wowed by these kinds of stats.  Professional Webmasters
are not.  They know that even PC-class hardware can easily achieve
orders of magnitude better performance than this, although Microsoft's
site is big enough that it should be using better than PC-class
harware and operating systems, and would be both more reliable and
more cost-effective if it did.

Joe

------------------------------

From: David Crooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I need some help with IP MASQ
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:18:57 GMT

Try it without the -d options - works fine for me. Make sure that the
Winbox sees 192.168.0.1 as its default router.

http://www.dcs.ed.ac.uk/home/dcc/rrdns

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike Jagdis)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Bandwidth priority?
Date: 17 Jun 1999 09:18:42 GMT

In article <7k95j7$q8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>In Linux, is there anyway to give "priority" to certain bandwidth
>streams? For example, on my system I have a RealAudio server that
>sometimes has its streams interrupted if one person happens to be
>FTPing at that time on my measly 128k ISDN line. I would like to give
>priority to RealAudio, and less priority to FTP. Is that possible?

It's possible. You need the "tc" program from the iproute2 package
from ftp.inr.ac.ru:/ip-routing/.

                                Mike

--
    A train stops at a train station, a bus stops at a bus station.
    On my desk I have a work station...