Linux-Networking Digest #571, Volume #11         Thu, 17 Jun 99 17:14:06 EDT

Contents:
  URGENT bootp - does tftp initiate transfer or does server push kernel? ("Michael")
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (bill davidsen)
  How to accept XDMCP queries? (Andre-John Mas)
  Re: Which ISDN modem for linux? (Jason McKnight)
  Re: LAN + Cable modem help (Alex Lam)
  service unavailable? (Ron Bombard)
  Re: Netscape and pine...unusual question (Jose)
  Re: ifconfig, route hate CIDR netmasks? (bill davidsen)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was:  (John Thompson)
  Re: Mail Relay - ? ("Terry Fielder")
  Re: Mail Relay - ? ("David E. Kindred")
  Re: Connecting a Linux Box to a Unix Box (bill davidsen)
  Collisions on 10Mbps w/2.2 (Derek Glidden)
  Re: using ISP's proxy -- how? (bill davidsen)
  Re: SMB samba shares not being seen by everyone???? (bill davidsen)
  Re: samba and smbclient problem (Noam Sturmwind)
  Re: Nagel algorithm?? (Clifford Kite)
  Re: Suse 6.1 and ftp - connection refused (Peter Wyzlic)
  Apache Config ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: read-only fils system (Wayne D. Hoxsie Jr.)
  Re: Warning against Announce Communications web hosting (Don Morse)
  Re: Port Forwarding - What a gip! ("John Hardin")
  Re: How to Flush ARP cache?? (Frank Sweetser)

From: "Michael" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: URGENT bootp - does tftp initiate transfer or does server push kernel?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 10:37:27 +0100

I have read the Diskless HOWTO and the man pages on BOOTPD and TFTPD.

I understand that the client sends it ethernet address out on a broadcast
packet that a server will respond to (if it can) by replying with the nodes
assigned IP (or DHCP gets involved I am worried about fixed IP right now).

BOOTP config file has the file name etc.  I know that BOOTP uses tftp, but
does bootp invoke tftp to push the kernel to the client or does the bootp
client, on the node, invoke the tftp client on the node after the node
receives its IP and the servers IP from the reply?

In short:

Which system initiates the file transfer using tftp, server or client?
Does bootp invoke tftp directly?  If not, how is it done?

Michael

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To:
omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft
Retest News
Date: 17 Jun 1999 17:41:57 GMT

In article <7k9bl0$gmo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Chad Mulligan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| Yan Seiner wrote in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
| >By comparison, cdrom.com, the busiest site on the web, runs on one
| >PPro...  One guess at the OS....
|
| Yeah, I was out there today, attempting to download Slackware 4.  Boy has it
| slowed down since my OS/2 days. BTW, does anyone know if this new Slackware
| version has ftp capability in the installer yet?  If not I might right them
| one.  Nfs my sore but.

No, I don't recall seeing any such thing on the installation options.
But I sent Patrick mail after trying a snapshot, and he did put PL/IP in
the network install boot kernel, which makes laptop install a bunch
easier.

SW 4.0 is really boring, installed it on two machines, no problems, no
thinking beyond disk and net config, I could get used to this
instantly. I did chicken out and use bare.i to install on an SMP
machine, but I may try smp.i just for the experience.

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
  The Internet is not the fountain of youth, but some days it feels like

------------------------------

From: Andre-John Mas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: How to accept XDMCP queries?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:18:28 GMT

Hi,

 Could someone tell me how to set up my linux box to accept XDMCP
 queries? I would like to be able to connect to my Linux box using
 Exceed, without having to iniate the connection via a telnet
 session.

 Thanks

 AJ

--
http://www.bigfoot.com/~ajmas/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Jason McKnight <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which ISDN modem for linux?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:58:54 -0400

Don't get an external "modem" type ISDN adapter. It uses com ports to
communicate and will usually limit you to 115kbps. Get an ISDN router instead
they are nearly the same price (Netgear anyway) and work great.

Jason McKnight

------------------------------

From: Alex Lam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LAN + Cable modem help
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:03:50 -0700

It's pretty easy. Check out
 http://rlz.ne.mediaone.net/linux/faq/index3.html

Alex Lam.

*Remove all the upper case Xs if reply by e mail.

------------------------------

From: Ron Bombard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.mail.sendmail,redhat.networking.general
Subject: service unavailable?
Date: 17 Jun 1999 18:02:58 GMT

Greetings All!

I'm setting up a mailserver running linux with sendmail V8 (host1).  The
server dosn't have any user accounts, just relays all incomming mail
from my ISP to another host (host2).  This works.  I can send mail from
the mailserver (host1) to the internet and it gets relayed to my ISP.
This works.  I've got my other host (host2) to relay all outgoing mail
to my mailserver (host2).  this works.  I look in the mailq and can see
them queued up.

Here's where it breaks down.  when my mailserver connects to my ISP and
does a "sendmail -q", it relays all email, except the mail that was
relayed to it from Host2.

On the console I get the error:
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...Service unavailable.

Where "<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>" is any address i tried to send to.

And in my sendmail log, I get the following line:

Jun 16 18:13:23 uranus sendmail[634]: SAA00632:
to=<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, delay=00:00:01, xdelay=00:00:01,
mailer=relay, relay=mail.netheaven.com [198.69.28.162], stat=Service
unavailable

Any ideas what I've got screwed up?  Must be some line in the
sendmail.cf file probably, but I can't figure it out.

I'm soooooo close, but sooooo far away.

Thanks guys!

Ron
--
Ron Bombard,  Network Administrator
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sometimes loosing a wife can be hard... in my
case it was nearly impossible!!!
   _O_        _____         _<>_          ___
 /     \     |     |      /      \      /  _  \
|==/=\==|    |[/_\]|     |==\==/==|    |  / \  |
|  O O  |    / O O \     |   ><   |    |  |"|  |
 \  V  /    /\  -  /\  ,-\   ()   /-.   \  X  /
 /`---'\     /`---'\   V( `-====-' )V   /`---'\
 O'_:_`O     O'M|M`O   (_____:|_____)   O'_|_`O
  -- --       -- --      ----  ----      -- --
  STAN         KYLE        CARTMAN       KENNY

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jose)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,netscape.public.mozilla.unix
Subject: Re: Netscape and pine...unusual question
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 14:48:20 GMT

Well, I think that if you set Netscape to "leave messages on mail
server" Netscape won't be able to delete any of your email.  That way
Pine can read them as well.  Hope this can be a direction for you

Jose

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: ifconfig, route hate CIDR netmasks?
Date: 17 Jun 1999 19:08:23 GMT

In article <7k9s54$89o$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| Roadrunner in the Northern Virginia area seems to be using CIDR IP
| addressing. i.e., the netmask their DHCP server wants my Debian 2.1 box
| to use is 25.255.252.0.

Is that a typo? If not, what in hell are they doing? 255.255.252.0 is a
ten bit subnet, but if they really tell you 25.255.252.0 I bet it's just
flat bad info.

| Feeding a netmask like this into both ifconfig and route causes them to
| complain bitterly. I think this is also the reason why the DHCP clients
| (dhcpcd and dhclient) that I've tried to use die silently and without a
| trace except for their /var/run/*.pid files.

Change 25. to 255. and see (a) if it gets rid of the complaint, and (b)
works.

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was:
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 20:46:46 -0600

I R A Aggie wrote:

> On 16 Jun 1999 12:51:36 -0400, Paul D. Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> [about IE under Solaris]
>
> +   - It doesn't have any features except the browser (no mail, no news
> +     client, no editor, etc.)

> You say that like it is a bad thing.

Well, given his other point that the IE/Solaris browser is
just as bloated as the whole Communicator suite, I'm
inclined to agree that it's a bad thing.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Terry Fielder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Mail Relay - ?
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 16:04:02 GMT

You need to tell the mail service (sendmail?) that it answers for both
domains.  I will assume you are using sendmail.  In which case you need to
set the sendmail configuration file   "sendmail.cw"  (or whichever file is
defined in the sendmail.cf directive "Fw/etc/sendmail.cw") to contain a list
of the names (aliases) for your machine...

Terry Fielder
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "David E. Kindred" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 11:41:09 -0500

I'm no sendmail expert, but we just had a similar error (different
situation) but we resolved it by adding a file in /etc/mail/ called
relay-domains and adding the domains that are allowed to relay mail
throught the mail host.  So I guess in your case you could try adding both
a.com and b.com to the file on separate lines and restart sendmail and see
if that works.

Good luck.
Dave K.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: Connecting a Linux Box to a Unix Box
Date: 17 Jun 1999 19:00:45 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, kuds  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| I have around 20 P233MMX machines connected to a Unix box. I
| have installed RH52 on 2 of these machines. My problem is
|
| 1. I dont know the make of the nic nor can i open the
| machine and find out, i suspect it to be a tulip, but dont
| take my word on this. Does anybody have ne ideas on how to
| find this out and also how to install the card

What we need is "SuperProbe" for NICs, I totally agree, and I have a NIC
in my hand and still can't identify it, since IBM rebranded it.

If the other machine are running Win95/98 just go into the devices and
look at the info there. It should tell you the type, driver, and
resources (io and irq vals).

If you have good karma this will be enough. If not you may have to
configure the cards with isipnp (see the man page before you ask) and
load the driver as a module.

| 2. What do i need to do to connect to the Unix box.
|
| I did read the howto, but i am still at a loss on how to
| make the gateway and connect.

First get the NIC working. RH must have a network setup once you get the
connection. They have a GUI for everything.

| 3. any ideas on how to connect the same to a Netware 3.12
| server.

There's an IPX package around, I don't remember the name. Netware 3.12
will be gone in a few months anyway, I'm told it has Y2k problems and
needs an upgrade. The package will talk to newer versions, but hopefully
you can convince management that scrapping NW and going to Linux/SAMBA
is cheaper, faster, more reliable, easier to administer... Sorry, I've
presented that idea in too many places, I guess ;-)

From: Derek Glidden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Collisions on 10Mbps w/2.2
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:50:18 GMT

After some more experimenting with the collisions-on-NFS problem with
the 2.2 kernel I thought I was having earlier, I have determined that it
is not limited to NFS and appears to be an issue with 2.2's network
stack on all the 10Mbps network devices I have access to.

Any machine with a 10Mbps NIC that I set up with the 2.2 kernel reports
a huge percentage (as much as 30-40%) of collisions.  If I take the
exact same hardware and install a 2.0 kernel on it, the collisions go
away and network performance improves.  If I take the exact same 2.2
machine and replace the 10Mbps NIC with a 100Mbps NIC on 100Mbps port,
the collisions go away.  If I then put the 100Mbps NIC on a 10Mpbs port,
the collision rate soars.  Note that only collision rates get extreme,
actual errors remain at 0, but network performance noticably degrades.

So far I've seen this behaviour with NE2000-clone, 3Com 3c509, 3Com
3c900 10Mbps NICs and the Intel EtherExpress Pro 100Mbps NIC
(Unfortunately, that is the only 100Mbps NIC I have access to.) using my
little "ThunderLAN" switch, a nice Cisco 10/100Mbps and a really nice
BayStack 10/100Mpbs switch on two separate and vastly different
networks. (I don't have access to a "dumb" hub to see if the results are
the same.)  I can reproduce these results essentially on demand.

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter if there are 100Mbps machines on
the switch or not. I.e. either 10Mbps cards or 100Mbps cards running at
10Mpbs generate collisions even between themselves.

I wish I had more understanding of what is going on here, but my
knowledge of network behaviour is limited.  I have, however, had a CCIE
friend of mine help try to troubleshoot the problem and to the best of
our abilities, we've narrowed it down to something in the 2.2 network
stack.  The biggest clue is that if I take the exact same hardware and
put 2.0 on it without changing anything else, the problem goes away.

With Microsoft products, failure is not           Derek Glidden
an option - it's a standard component.      http://3dlinux.org/
Choose your life.  Choose your            http://www.tbcpc.org/
future.  Choose Linux.              http://www.illusionary.com/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: using ISP's proxy -- how?
Date: 17 Jun 1999 19:15:09 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Greg Jones  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| My ISP uses a proxy server and while I have found the settings in
| Netscape,
| is there a HOWTO or doc on setting-up and using a remote proxy
| URL::port.
|
| I cannot find an option that looks like this in pppd.

Stop looking, proxy is not a pppd issue at all, it's something you tell
a browser to use, not a networking thing at all, but an application
option.

Look there.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Subject: Re: SMB samba shares not being seen by everyone????
Date: 17 Jun 1999 19:12:51 GMT

In article <3768bf27$0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Robert Chapman Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
| Hi all... I have a network with a RH Linux 6.0 server, and is running samba
| with several shares setup.  The problem that I'm having is that some of the
| users on the same subnet can not see the shares or the server at all.
|
|  Several of the newer computers that I have setup all can see it just fine..
| Anyone know if maybe the drivers of the individual computer might be a
| problem. Most of the NIC's are 3Com and most are running Win95 osr2. Have the
| NIC drivers changed recently????

When you say "can't see" do you mean as in can't ping, can't mount
exports explicitly by hand from a DOS window? Or do you mean "not in
network neighborhood?"

If it's the 2nd problem there's a name service issue, nmb needs a
diddle. I don't have the answer, I just put an explicit mount in startup
and added it to my todo list. Ask in the samba group, someone will know.

And please post the answer if that's the problem, I'd love to know the
"right way" to do it.

From: Noam Sturmwind <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Re: samba and smbclient problem
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:31:51 -0700

Monte Phillips wrote:

> Huh your-own-self,
> Print and file sharing in Win machines affects ONLY whether they will
> share their files and printers with another.  It has no effect on
> TCP/IP.  Linux shares work similar.  TCP/IP is unaffected but clients
> can't 'see' anything.

I think what is being referred to is binding the file and printer
sharing service to the various protocols, not the "I want to share my
files/printers with others" options.

Trying to clarify things a bit,
Noam Sturmwind

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Nagel algorithm??
Date: 17 Jun 1999 14:28:40 -0500

bill davidsen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: To repeat the original question, short of editing the config file by
: hand, does this option appear in any of the "make *config" menus? I
: said I was willing to do it by hand, but I thought it was originally in
: a config menu. The "say N here" doesn't make much sense unless you get
: the chance to say anything.

: After more looking, I found the option commented out in
: net/ipv4/Config.in. What's with this? Is this a conversion to the M$
: philosophy, "we know what's best for you, and won't confuse you with
: choices?" The code to use that is still in the kernel, although it
: didn't help as much as I hoped it would.

You're right.  I had thought that if it were in the Configure.help file
then it would be in a configure file - and active.  My mistake, but it
won't happen twice.  I _can_ now guarantee that it's not in any other
kernel configuration file.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                       Not a guru. (tm)
/* Speak softly and carry a +6 two-handed sword. */

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter Wyzlic)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Suse 6.1 and ftp - connection refused
Date: 17 Jun 1999 19:47:20 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 12:36:12 -0500, j. land <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>The ftp on my suse system is out to lunch. While it will accept connections
>from the local host it will not accept connections from remote systems. Have
>installed wu.ftpd, proftpd, and the standard ftpd. Have started each using
>inetd, tcpserver, and as indivdual daemons. Have used same ftpaccess etc.
>files as on working systems. All hosts are listed in DNS and Hosts files.
>Other services connect fine such as Telnet, SMTP, etc. This is not a routing
>or name resolution issue.

Perhaps a malicious entry in the ftpaccess file?

>It acts as though there is no service listening on the FTP port. Any
>suggestions as to what to look at.

check with
        telnet localhost 21
from the localhost and
        telnet susehost 21
from a remote host.

Peter

--
"A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely
rearranging their prejudices." -- William James

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Apache Config
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:38:40 GMT

Please help me I am now to apache and linux but need to get a site up.
If anyone knows of a good howto with step by step examples that is
simple to follow please let me know where it is.

Thanks

Dan Spray

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wayne D. Hoxsie Jr.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux,alt.os.linux.slackware,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Re: read-only fils system
Date: 17 Jun 1999 20:48:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, erajczyk wrote:

> hi
>
>  has someone tried booting linux (slackware for that matter) in
>read-only mode AND been able to login
> to his system afterwards ?
>  I tell my start file (/etc/rc.d/rc.S) not to remount the root
>partition in read-write mode at boot time
>  and I put the directories  /var,,/tmp in a writable area. The system
>boots OK but when trying to log into the
>  system I am getting "unable to change tty /dev/tty1 for user root" and
>the login prompt returns.
>  Trying to log in as another user gives the same.
>
> Please help me getting my system usable when in read-only mode. I need
>read-only mode because with the hacks
> I performed on the system fsck is destroying the file system tree.

You can override the RO specification that is in your /etc/lilo.conf on
the lilo command line (when you get "lilo:" hit <CTRL> or <ALT>):

lilo: boot: linux rw

This will get you going with some warnings about e2fsck'ing a RW drive,
but you can then edit your /etc/rc.d/rc.S back to its original state and
be fine.

--
Wayne D. Hoxsie Jr. KG9ME    | Small wheel turn by the fire and rod,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        | Big wheel turn by the grace of God,

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Don Morse)
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.linux.network
Subject: Re: Warning against Announce Communications web hosting
Date: 17 Jun 1999 20:38:38 GMT

In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>Wed, 09 Jun 1999
09:36:46 -0500 writes:
:>
:>
:>Agner,
:>
:>If you are the registrant of the domain, you are the owner of that domain.
:>By the former web hosting company demanding $70 for "releasing" the
:>domain, they are in violation with InterNIC policies - and you have the
:>right to request InterNIC's assistance in this matter.
:>
:>You don't need your former web hosting provider to transfer the domain
:>names - you can do that yourself if you fill out the proper forms through
:>InterNIC.  You should visit Network Solutions website for more info on
:>fighting this case.  Go to http://www.networksolutions.com/ and you
:>will find all the necessary info you need.
:>
:>Regards,
:>Lukas J. Dickie
:>Network Engineer
:>Enterprise Network Systems
:>
:>
:>agner wrote:
:>
:>> domain! My question is now: is it possible to move the domain without
:>> his permission? The internic record has my name as registrant, and his
:>> name as administrative contact.
:>

slight step further.  the only contacts that can move or change a domain
without issue are the technical and administrative.  registrant doesn't help.
if the former ISP is both admin and technical contact, you're in for a
problem.   lesson for anyone out there.  ALWAYS list yourself as
administrative contact.  ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS...  follow your ISP's rules for
technical, normally they want to be listed as technical   billing, although
they pay for the domain, has no "pull".  billing is normally only contacted
once per year.

if you can prove registration, even with your ISP as technical and admin, you
can force a change, but it's not as easy as the above settings.

don

  If a million monkeys on typewriters can eventually
       type out the Bible, given enough time.
     Then Bill Gates had 25 monkeys and a week!
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] using Merlin and EmTec News
    ICQ 245937, AOL IM merlinof2  www.blackpalace.com

From: "John Hardin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Port Forwarding - What a gip!
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 09:09:59 -0700

Mike Bowie - CITYPRO wrote in message
<7k8aeq$scb$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>(Upgraded to 6.0 for a PPTP masq patch)

NB: PPTP masq is available for 2.0.x and works very well.

Why did you feel you had to go to 6.0 (2.2.x)?

--
 John Hardin KA7OHZ                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 pgpk -a finger://gonzo.wolfenet.com/jhardin    PGP key ID: 0x41EA94F5

------------------------------

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How to Flush ARP cache??
Date: 17 Jun 1999 12:27:26 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> So how do I flush the arp cache??? I did a "man arp", but it's not 100%
> clear to me.

arp -d <hostname>

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.5        i586 | at public servers