Linux-Networking Digest #587, Volume #11         Sat, 19 Jun 99 02:13:38 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Basic Samba Question (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: Wyse Terminals on Linux Network (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: please help with samba (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: CGI displays raw HTML code? (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: Ethernet wiring problem (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: Wyse Terminals on Linux Network (Hardave Riar)
  Re: diald still dials every time (Gilford Wimbley)
  Re: communicator and sendmail (Joseph Tweed)
  Re: Diald keeps dialing... (Gilford Wimbley)
  SuSE 6.1 IP Aliasing ("Rich S")
  Re: cable modem or ASDL (Gilford Wimbley)
  ipchains and ftp (Mike)
  Re: Time corrupted using Samba ("Ross Crawford")
  Home network sharing, Cable Modem (Upali Weerasinghe)
  Re: 3Com Ethernet Card (Malware)
  Re: HELP! Someone's hacked into... (Malware)
  Re: communicator and sendmail (Malware)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Jeff Szarka)
  Re: Basic Samba Question (Monte Phillips)

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basic Samba Question
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:35:13 GMT

You can use smbclient or smbmount to view Wintel (Win9x or WinNT) server shares,
etc.  You can even do this between Linux boxes (it makes it a lot easier to
transfer files).  Anyway, make sure you edit the smb.conf file to fit the
network you are on (ie workgroup, etc.).  Once this is complete, you should be
able to use smbmount and smbclient to view NT share and (making sure password
encryption is enabled in the smb.conf file) access Linux share from Wintel
machines.
--Nick

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Wyse Terminals on Linux Network
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:36:41 GMT

I believe you just hook the serial ports of the terminal and linux server
together (making sure the pin config is correct, of course), and voila, but
I have never actually tried.  You might have to do some PPP stuff.
--Nick

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: please help with samba
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:41:09 GMT

I find that it is easiest when your security=user.  Also make sure that you
have null passwords enabled.  This has caused some great problems.  When you
use the ";" in this type of a setting, I believe it comments out the rest of
the line ( you have it under SHARE2).  Either just put spaces between the
users, or add both admin and DirtyFly to a group and I believe you can do
this:
valid users = @group
--Nick

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: CGI displays raw HTML code?
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:42:40 GMT

Sounds to me like a problem with the Netscape MIME encoding info.  Check
it, and if necassary, edit the registry (I assume you are looking at it
from a Wintel box).
--Nick

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Ethernet wiring problem
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:43:34 GMT

not only will it not be reliable, it won't work at all.  I've tried:-)

------------------------------

From: Hardave Riar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:55:10 GMT

Assuming you have the terminal plugged into Windows Com2 add the
following too /etc/inittab:

s2:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L 19200 ttyS1 vt100

There might already be a line similar too this commented out, just
uncomment it and change too above. If you plug it into Com1, just change
the ttyS1 to ttyS0. Hope this helps.

Hardave

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilford Wimbley)
Subject: Re: diald still dials every time
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:00:28 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 03:14:41 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:22:24 GMT, Paulo Garcia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>I look this standard.conf and to my knowlegement it 's very dificult to
>>understand, but I'll research a little more.
>>
>>If you can send me your standard.conf I accept. May be looking your
>>file I can do something...
>>
>Do a search of http://www.deja.com for the thread "Diald keeps
>dialing...".  It is in the same newsgroup as this one,
>comp.os.linux.networking
>
>I just posted a copy of my /usr/lib/standard.filter file in the above
>thread.
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>--
>Frank Hahn
>
>There are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics.
>               -- Disraeli
Thank you.

GW

------------------------------

From: Joseph Tweed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: communicator and sendmail
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 23:53:25 +0200

francesco martucci wrote:

> I have sendmail and fetchmail set up and working under RH5.2.
> The problem is that e-mail arrives in /var/spool/#user#, where I can't
> manage to read it with communicator.
> Is there anybody who can suggest to me how to configure communicator
> (4.07) and/or sendmail?

I have sendmail/fetchmail running on a linux box called "gateway". I have
a cron job running, to periodically call my ISP and fetch whatever mail
there may be. This mail is stored in /var/spool/#user#. #user# is an
account on the linux box. I also have a Win98 machine running Communicator
4.xx. On this machine, I can also log in as #user#, but that is not
relevant to the rest of this story. I configure Communicator like this:
-  E-mail address: <my_user@my_ISP>
-  Incoming Mail Server: gateway
-  Outgoing Mail Server: gateway
-  User Name: #user#
so when I start Netscape Messenger and hit "Get Msg", my mail is retrieved
from the linux box.

I can also log onto the linux box as #user#, run Communicator , and
retrieve mail there. Linux Communicator is configured like this:
-  E-mail address: <my_user@my_ISP>
-  Incoming Mail Server: localhost
-  Outgoing Mail Server: localhost
-  User Name: #user#
Again, after hitting "Get Msg", Netscape Messenger will retrieve my mail
from /var/spool/#user#.

In both cases, if I send mail, this is picked up by sendmail and is sent
to my ISP.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilford Wimbley)
Subject: Re: Diald keeps dialing...
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:04:52 GMT

On Fri, 18 Jun 1999 03:14:34 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
wrote:

>On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 06:21:29 GMT, Gilford Wimbley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>>On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 12:16:47 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frank Hahn)
>>wrote:
>>
>>[snip]
[snip]
>>1) explain your configuration.  How is name service provided on your
>>intranet?  Do you have a caching name server?  How have you configured
>>the name service relavant options in smb.conf?
>>
>In my setup, the Linux machine has the modem.  The Sun and the
>Windows 95 machine use the Linux machine as the gateway.  I have
>no name server running on any machine.  The /etc/resolv.conf
>files on the Linux machine and the Solaris machine both use my
>ISP's nameserver IP numbers.  The same for the Windows 95 machine.
>
>On the Windows machine, under TCP/IP properties, the WINS
>configuration is disabled.  NetBios support also looks to be
>disabled.
>

>>2) especially if you don't have a caching name server on the lan,
>>could you post your standard.filter file?  Also, if it wouldn't
>>compromise your security could you post any firewall rules that might
>>be helping to squelch windows95's errant packets.
>>
>I do have a hosts file on all three machines.  These files are all
>the same.  On the Windows machine, this file is in the c:\windows
>directory.  There is no lmhosts file on the Windows machine.
>
>The diald.defs is the same as in the diald distribution.  I am using
>diald version 0.16.5.  Here is the standard.filter file:
>
>============================start=============================
># This is a pretty complicated set of filter rules.
># (These are the rules I use myself.)
[snip]

>Sorry about the length.  I hope I answered all of your questions.

Yes!
Thank you
>--
>Frank Hahn
>
>Admiration, n.:
>       Our polite recognition of another's resemblance to ourselves.
>               -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"

regards,
GW

------------------------------

From: "Rich S" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SuSE 6.1 IP Aliasing
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 23:14:05 -0500

Trying to setup virtual hosts using IP.  Presently adding aliases manually
after boot.  Want to setup so that aliases are loaded automatically AT BOOT.
New to SuSE (don't have the same files available as other versions I've
used).

Please give instructions for best way to load IP aliases at boot for a
single NIC.

TIA

--
==========
Rich S

VISA/MC/Cash | Leasing Available
7.75% Sales Tax IL/6.75% Sales Tax Other States

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilford Wimbley)
Subject: Re: cable modem or ASDL
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:12:04 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 06:39:41 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gilford
Wimbley) wrote:

>On Wed, 16 Jun 1999 22:53:52 -0500, Doug Bryant
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>hello,
>>
>>I am fortunate enough to be moving into an area that provides both cable
>>modem and ASDL access.
>>

>>Could anyone give advice about which is better/more reliable   The cable
>>modem access would be through @Home and the ASDL would be through
>>Bellsouth.net.
>>
>>What I am looking for is speed and ability to access my linux box from
>>work or on trips.   I am able to do this now by emailing my IP# to my
>>work email address over a dial up account.
>>
>This is anecdotal, and in unresolved, but...
>
>I have ADSL with pacific bell on the west coast of the US.  It is
>fast, I routinely get speeds at or somewhat over the minimum
>guaranteed speed of 384kbps.  pacbell's news server has been sketchy,
>but they claim they just upgraded it and are working out the bugs.
>
>All other systems have been solid.  Today, from work, I tried pinging
>my machine and it worked fine.  I tried telneting in and it didn't
>work.  I haven't checked the logs yet, but I am kind of afraid that
>they are somehow screening packets.  I have a single user type setup,
>and maybe they filter packets on it.  They also have business-oriented
>setups that are not that much more expensive, and which would really
>have to let all packets in.

For the record, it was operator (me)  error.  I thought I had put my
work ip address in my hosts.allow file, but I  didn't.  After fixing
that, I can telnet in from work, and, presumably from anywhere.  News
service has been more reliable too.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mike)
Subject: ipchains and ftp
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 21:21:59 -0700

I am running RH6 w/ipchains as a masquerading box.  I have a windows
machine behind the RH one.  I can get on the Internet fine, I can ping
and traceroute anywhere, I can telnet to anybody.  Ftp is a different
story.  I can connect to a ftp server, and I can login, but if I do an
'ls' I have recieved two different messages from two different servers,
here they both are:

server 1:
after login, i just typed <ls> and pressed [ENTER]
the server returned, "200 PORT command succesful"
then waited for almost one full minute and said,
"425 Can't build data connection: Connection Refused."

server 2:
after login, i just type <ls> and pressed [ENTER]
the server returned, "500 Illegal PORT command"
and then, "425 Can't build data connection: Connection Refused."

I tried to ftp to these boxes with the -d switch, and here is the output.

<ls>[ENTER]

--->PORT 10,10,10,9,4,15
500 Illegal PORT command
--->NLST
425 Can't build...you know the rest.

The IP address of my windows box does just happen to be 10.10.10.9, but I
thought the linux box w/ipchains was masquerading?

Somebody please help!!!!

-Mike

------------------------------

From: "Ross Crawford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.smb
Subject: Re: Time corrupted using Samba
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 14:43:30 +1000

Karl,

Look in the source/smbwrapper directory. There is a smbsh utility which
doesn't mount the filesystem, but allows you access through the (phantom)
/smb directory. I'm not sure when it was first included, but its in my 2.0.3
version.

Hope this helps

ROSCO

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Upali Weerasinghe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Home network sharing, Cable Modem
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 05:09:03 GMT

This is simple home network setup, to share your cable modem:
just like mine;
say you have a 4 computers, everybody wants Internet, now you'll need
        5 Network cards (buy 10 mbs or if you have money 100 mbs)
        Network Cables (Buy UTP CAT 5 and make sure how long)
        6 or 12 port Hub

        When you do networking more is better, why ? always you'll need
        more and more computers.

        [ This is what I have ]
        Then what software you going to use in your network ?
        you can have one running Linux and others Windows 95/98/NT
        or anything that work for you.

        If you don't know howto fight with Unix, then you don't read this,
        anyway if you like you can have full windows network too.
        I am not going to talk about that here.

Place you computers where you want then put your network cards in to all
of them, and put 2 cards in, which is going to CABLE-MODEM.

        Now plug your network cables like this:

        Computer-A
        +-------+
        |       |------------->[===]
        +-------+              Cable-Modem----->Internet @home cable.

           HUB
        +===|====+
         | | |
         | | |
         | | +----------------------------------------+
         | +-------------------------+                |
        +---+---+                    |                |
        |       |               +-------+         +--------+
        |       |               |       |         |        |
        |       |               |       |         |        |
        |       |               |       |         |        |
        +-------+               +-------+         +--------+
        Computer-B              Computer-C        Computer-D

 By now you have nice network, you can see Computer-A connected to
 cable modem also to the Hub, that's why we put 2 network cards, you
 can do this with 1 network card, then you'll have Internet Hacker
 problem, remember they can see what you doing, they are very smart
 like you and me.

 From hub 3 UTP cables going to each Computer-B,C and D. Now everything
 Done !. NO not yet.

 We have to configure software, on all the machine. Computer-A is our
 Server running RedHat-Linux, others running Windows-95, I don't know
 that's what you have ?.

 I think you know howto setup TCP/IP on the computer. So I'll
 just give you a tcp information on each computer.

 [ Computer-A ]
 Hostname = computer-A
 Ethernet-0 = DHCPCD
 Ethernet-1  = 192.168.1.1
 Subnet mask= 255.255.255.0 so you network is 192.168.0.0
 Default Gatway = eth0 ( your first network card connected to cable modem)
 again make sure you 2nd network card in this computer connected to
 hub, means it is going to your local network.
 and that is the card I am saying Ethernet-1.

 [ Computer-B ]
 Ethernet-0 = 192.168.1.2
 Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
 Default Gatway = 192.168.1.1
 and
 Dns-Host = computer-b
 domain = somthing.home.com ( if you don't know that call your ISP )
 primary dns = 24.xx.xx.xx
 secondry dns = 24.xx.xx.xx
 please don't put xx.xx.xx. if you don't know that ask ISP.

 [ Computer-C ]
 Ethernet-0 = 192.168.1.3
 Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
 and
 Dns-Host = computer-c
 domain = somthing.home.com ( if you don't know that call your ISP )
 primary dns = 24.xx.xx.xx
 secondry dns = 24.xx.xx.xx
 please don't put xx.xx.xx. if you don't know that ask ISP.

 [ Computer-D ]
 Ethernet-0 = 192.168.1.4
 Subnet mask = 255.255.255.0
 and
 Dns-Host = computer-d
 domain = somthing.home.com ( if you don't know that call your ISP )
 primary dns = 24.xx.xx.xx
 secondry dns = 24.xx.xx.xx
 please don't put xx.xx.xx. if you don't know that ask ISP.

 Cool, this is the only way we can setup a good network saving money
 and working good.
 or you can call ISP and ask more IP-Address, then they'll charge
 more money from you. like it ? no

 Now reboot all your computers and test. If you did what I say
 everything should work fine.

 if you have any problem with this please email me
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        URL=http://upnet.dyndns.com/

------------------------------

From: Malware <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 3Com Ethernet Card
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 05:51:23 +0200

Hi Gregory,

you wrote:
> running. Using Yast I can config the card, but within the network section
> DHCP is disabled. Andara (my cable modem supplier) runs a DHCP server. I

If "disabled" stand for not available for selection I imagine you have
not installed the dhcp client package and YaST thus does not permit to
select this option. The package should be available on the CD-ROMs.

Malware

------------------------------

From: Malware <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: HELP! Someone's hacked into...
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 06:01:39 +0200

Hi Lyndon,

you wrote:
> > Today morning, I cannot seem to log into the server as root, or from any
> <snip>
> You can recover from this by starting linux in single user mode. This
> gives you an un-passworded root login, at least on some distros. I think
> it's linux single at the lilo prompt.

As you noticed this will not work on all distributions. But giving the
parameter "init=/bin/sh" instead should do the trick. If the lilo is
secured too one will have to boot with another root-fs and mount the old
one to another mount-point.

Malware

------------------------------

From: Malware <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 06:08:24 +0200

Hi francesco,

you wrote:
> I have sendmail and fetchmail set up and working under RH5.2.
> The problem is that e-mail arrives in /var/spool/#user#, where I can't
> manage to read it with communicator.
> Is there anybody who can suggest to me how to configure communicator
> (4.07) and/or sendmail?

It should be possible to use Netscape with this setup by setting the
switch "Mail server type" within the dialog
"Edit-Preferences-Mail&Groups-Mail Server" to "Movemail application".
Installing a local POP3 or IMAP server and using it is an option too.

Malware

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Szarka)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft
Retest News
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 05:15:57 GMT

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 13:22:10 +1200, "Stuart Fox"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

:> This would be easy to program, but would never work, because
:> Unix users just *don't* set up their software to
:> automatically execute e-mail attachments.

Wow, this was a beautiful piece of FUD I missed.

:Neither do MS apps.  Outlook prompts to run or save when you double click on
:it.

Much of the blame for the current worm/virus attacks can be blamed on
Windows yet at least half has to be put on the user. My copy of OE
(with Win2k Beta3) requires me to do the following:

-Get e-mail with a *.exe file attached
-Open attached exe after getting a warning that it may contain viruses
and cause harm to my system

If you choose to ignore warnings and open any file you get sent you're
asking for it no matter what OS you use.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 04:53:16 GMT

This site has a step by step howto for complete setup of samba.  steps
for both linux and the win machine.  (and they really work <G>)
http://www.sfu.ca/~yzhang/linux/samba/index.html
and this one as well
http://home.talkcity.com/MigrationPath/maguai/samba.html

These sites singly or in combination are nearly guaranteed to get you
networked.