Linux-Networking Digest #603, Volume #11         Sun, 20 Jun 99 22:13:35 EDT

Contents:
  Re: DHCPD server Error ("Andrey Smirnov")
  Re: Which is eth0, and which eth1? (Malware)
  help with SAMBA pwds ("..Luca T..")
  LAN and PPP ("ricdola")
  Re: Linux to replace NT Server ("Scott MacDonald")
  Re: Help! printing via samba on RH 6.0 (Anthony NK)
  Re: Network/samba...got it working, but??? (Vidar Andresen)
  Re: Networking to Windows Box ("Matthew Purcell")
  Re: wvdial w/ redhat doesn't like ibm.net (Bill Unruh)
  help with SAMBA pwds ("..Luca T..")
  Redhat & yp - Setting up a client (Brian McGroarty)
  Re: Reccomendations for Linux DHCP daemon? (Stephen Carville)
  pppd source (root)
  Re: REDHAT5.0: Need more ROOTS! (Stephen Carville)
  Re: Problem with Linux Networking, need help please (Nicholas E Couchman)
  smbclient not responding. ("David B. Hostetler")
  Re: Mindcraft Retest News (Tim Kelley)
  Re: can't get dialup connection with RH 6.0 (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: Unmount after smbmount causes shutdown failure - SuSE 6.1 (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: help with SAMBA pwds (Nicholas E Couchman)
  Re: 3Com Unknown Adaptor (Roy Murphy)

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DHCPD server Error
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 16:28:18 -0700

What kind of dhcp clients do you have?

If clients are windows based, then you need to add a route on your Linux
dhcp server:

route add -host 255.255.255.255 dev eth0

Good luck!

------------------------------

From: Malware <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which is eth0, and which eth1?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 01:04:31 +0200

Hi Jay,

you wrote:
> When I boot 2.2.10  *with the same conf.modules* it finds eth0 as eepro. It
> doesn't find the DEC tulip. Then it assigns all to eepro the eth0 ip info -

You'll have to assure it does find the the DEC tulip one too. This is
just because there will be no eth1 without an eth0.

> How do I control which is eth0 and eth1 ( I thought it was conf.modules! ).

No. It's controlled by the order the drivers are loaded.

> I've care less about getting both cards to work ( actually, I've given up ).

That's your fault. And I don't understand why you do not care of getting
them working - it should'nt be that difficult.

Malware

------------------------------

From: "..Luca T.." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: help with SAMBA pwds
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 01:54:09 +0200

Hi,
i'm trying to set up a linux server in my office, using SAMBA, to connect 4
windows boxes and to provide them the internet access. I setted up the
smb.conf and also the windows boxes. These ones recognize the server
(because when i shut the server down a message like that appears "unable to
locate a server for the domain ecc. ecc.") but the password seems to be
wrong.
Now i used the same names, the same group of my linux users and i also
synchronized the smb and linux passwords.
I read in some newsgroups that there may be some prblems with the windows
registrers but i really don't know where the problem may be, also because i
made an error installing linux and i started the NIS service without setting
it out without knowing how to disable it and if it may cause problems with
samba.

Thanx

Luca Tamburrano (webmaster)

------------------------------

From: "ricdola" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: LAN and PPP
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:27:38 -0500

Hello all,

I just upgraded to RHL 6.0.  I've been trying to configure my machine as a
host on a local network (i've entered basic network information such as IP
address, subnet masks, etc).  When I initiate a PPP connection, the modem
connects and everything however, when I try to ping another network (e.g.
www.microsoft.com)  it doesn't come up.  I'm wondering if entering basic
network information can cause this problem and what can I do about it?

Please advise,
R. Alcazar

------------------------------

From: "Scott MacDonald" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Linux to replace NT Server
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 03:23:37 -0300

Roger McIlmoyle <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Steve Bui wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >         I am trying to find out how to setup a linux machine to perform
the
> > duties of an NT server (i.e. authenticate users, resolve domain names,
> > etc) If anyone can help or point me in the right direction, it would be
> > greatly appreciated. THanks
> >
> > --
> > Steve
>
> Why ? You have just described all of the services of NT, perhaps you
really
> want NT ?
> You could you Samba for file services, otherwise...

You also described the services of Linux too.  Go with which ever one you
see the most benefits of using.

------------------------------

From: Anthony NK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help! printing via samba on RH 6.0
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:25:20 +1000

Uncomment the line "#printing ="  in /etc/smb.conf and choose one
printing system amongst those listed should do the trick.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vidar Andresen)
Subject: Re: Network/samba...got it working, but???
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 07:07:05 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (LinuxFool) wrote:
>Okay I can ping from one machine to another, but in win98 network
>group I cant see the linux machine ???

You need samba.

telnet?

Mvh Vidar Andresen

------------------------------

From: "Matthew Purcell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Networking to Windows Box
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 17:03:57 +1000

Oh and also thanks to all who sent me emails helping me out on this topic
:-)

Matthew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,redhat.config
Subject: Re: wvdial w/ redhat doesn't like ibm.net
Date: 21 Jun 1999 00:36:13 GMT

I could notget wvdial towork on my machine. Others find it very helpful.
I do not know what the difference is.
Anyway for step by step instructions on connecting with ppp, see
axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brian McGroarty)
Subject: Redhat & yp - Setting up a client
Date: 21 Jun 1999 00:53:50 GMT

I'm trying to get NIS running on a pair of Redhat 6.0 boxes.

On the server, I installed and activated all three daemons on
installation. I then touch /etc/netgroup to create an empty
file as I don't believe I need this presently, and ran ypinit
-m to initialize the databases. There, I included the client
machine.

On the client, I pointed NIS toward the server on installing
Redhat. Shadow and MD5 passwords were enabled in that dialog
box as well. I added +:*:0:0::: to /etc/passwd and +:*:* to
/etc/group.

With the above in place, I can mount an NFS volume from the
NIS host and see the appropriate user name and group on an
ls -l however any attempt at logging in with a shared name
on the client machine fails. I can successfully su username
from root however.

What am I missing to allow NIS-distributed user logins on the
client machine?

--
Brian McGroarty - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MASSIVELY filtered. Prefix subject with [NOTSPAM] if posting via AOL.

------------------------------

From: Stephen Carville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Reccomendations for Linux DHCP daemon?
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 18:00:03 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> We are moving services from our NT and Netware boxes to our Linux box
> and want to get a good DHCP and mail server for it. Can anyone here
> reccomend a good DHCP daemon (our first priority) and a good mail
> client.
>
> The DHCP daemon must keep its data in an accessible text file so we can
> access it through our interactive sign-up site (currently the only non-
> automated part of our process). It also must have the ability to block
> out ranges and hold reservations for specific hardware addresses so we
> can keep people at their same IP throughout the year.

These are all standard in the dhcpd from the ISC.  If you are using an RPM
based system got to

http://niteowl.userfriendly.net/linux/RPM/DByName.html

and search down for dhcp.  Get at least version 2.0.

If you want to "roll your own." got to

http://www.isc.org/view.cgi?/products/DHCP/dhcp-v2.phtml

and download the source.

I've installed DHCP on linux machines both ways and so far no problems.

You may find some MS clients try to snag two or three addresses.  This is a
"feature" in the MS clients.

> The mail server needs to be a standard mail server. We don't want
> anything fancy, just something solid that sends and receives mail and
> doesn't try to be a "groupware" or anything like that.

Sendmail or Qmail will both work.  I am not a guru at either but qmail is
easier (IMO) to setup and has just abotu all the features a person could
need from an MTA.

--
Stephen Carville
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: root <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: pppd source
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:36:14 +0800

i would like to connect to my isp by chap
but it failed, i have read PPP-HOWTO
and it said my isp may use MSCHAP80, and i need to recompile pppd
where can i find the pppd source?

I have searched freshmeat and cannot find it.

------------------------------

From: Stephen Carville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: REDHAT5.0: Need more ROOTS!
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 18:03:11 -0700

paches wrote:

> Please help,
> I have RedHat5.0, 2.0.36 kernel.
> Internally I can login as Root several times, but
> How do I tell the system to allow more than 2 Root logins
> from a ppp dial up user? Thanx...
> -Paches

You need to edit the file /etc/securetty to add teh necessary devices.
Personally I consider allowing remote root logins a Bad Idea so I'll direct
you to the man page (man login) for details.

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Problem with Linux Networking, need help please
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 01:10:17 GMT

On your Linux machine, you should have the IP from your ISP associated with your
modem.  You should also have an internal IP, another 192.168.xxx.xxx for your
Network card.
I don't know if this will solve your problem, but this has to be done for your
internal network to work the correct way.
--Nick

------------------------------

From: "David B. Hostetler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: smbclient not responding.
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:58:39 -0500

I issue the command "smbclient \\\\boxname\\sharename" and hit enter.
The linux machine responds "Added interface ip=blah.blah.blah.blah bcast
=192.blah.blah.255 mask =255.255.255.255" then nothing, no login prompt
for a password, nothing. It just sits there, no activity light, no hard
drives beign searched, nil. What should I be checking? This one is
beyond any of the books and HOWTOs I have read. Any help out there?

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mindcraft Retest News
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 19:59:02 -0500

"R. Denoire" wrote:

> -If the server used has to cope with more than one NIC, NT is better
> here; supposedly Linux developers admit this weakness in current
> kernel versions and promised to work on this issue.

Well, with the caveat that you're not talking about routing (linux quite
excels at that) but load balancing.

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: can't get dialup connection with RH 6.0
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 01:14:36 GMT

Make sure you start your PPP services (pppd) with all the options
(ipaddresses, speed, etc.).
--Nick

------------------------------

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Unmount after smbmount causes shutdown failure - SuSE 6.1
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 01:12:37 GMT

are you using umount or smbumount?  Make sure you're using smbumount.
--Nick

From: Nicholas E Couchman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: help with SAMBA pwds
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 01:16:16 GMT

Make sure in your smb.conf file to enable password encryption.  There should be
a line in there somewhere that is commented out (under the new samba) that
enables password encryption.
--Nick

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roy Murphy)
Subject: Re: 3Com Unknown Adaptor
Date: 20 Jun 1999 21:47:33 -0400

On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 09:39:36 +0200, Vidar Andresen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>     This is what I did:
[...]

Thanks, that did the trick.