From: "Thorsten Reihs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Proxy/Firewall
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:06:13 +0100

Hi!

I want to allow a WinNT client  to use only some spezial IP-adresses.
The rest of the Internet should be not allowed to get access to.
I am just installing my Linux-machine as a proxy-server. (Socks)

Any Howto's, FAQ's?

THX

--
C U
     Thorsten

http://members.xoom.com/Toto73

------------------------------

From: Pei-tao Deng <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Any support for MultiLink PPP ?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 03:29:13 -0500

Daniel Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: I know there is support for serial load-balancing, but this isn't what
: I'm looking for.  I'm trying to find a ppp implementation for linux
: which supports multilink PPP over two or more serial devices.

: Does anyone know if anything like this is available ?

: I'm got a lot of time on my hands soon, how much of a project would it
: be to adapt one of the existing implementations do provide such
: functionality ?

: many thanks,

: *************
: Dan Wilson
: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Network error
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 05:34:06 GMT

In article <Y4hb3.178$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Puterfixr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey folks, a newbie to Linux (2.0.27), just installed into my
home/office
> network running a Windows NT 4.0 Server with DNS,WINS,etc.  Another NT
> server running Wingate Proxy and MDaemon mail servers, and two Win98
> clients, with two more laptops running 98 and 95.  All are connected
to a
> 10Mbps hub, all clients can access the internet, mail etc.  Here's my
> problem, I just setup a new Linux box, with a Realtek ISA card.  Linux
sees
> the card okay (after much head to keyboard interfacing), I can ping
> localhost, and it's own IP, but whenever I try to ping anything else
on the
> network I get the following error:
>
> eth0:trigger_send()called with the transmitter busy
>
> Can anyone help save my keyboard from more head bashing?

try something else: can you ping your linux-box from one of the others ?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "Andy Pahne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: two network interfaces / conf.modules-file
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:53:44 +0200

I am using Redhat 6.0 on a PC, connected to a network via a ne2000
isa-interace.

I have trouble connecting another network via a second interface, and I
can't find a sample conf.modules file to see if my adjustments were correct:

Here's what I added:

alias eth0 ne
alias eth1 ne
options ne io=0x300, 0x340

it seems to me that at boot-time my machine sometimes find eth0 and
sometimes eth1, but not both together.

------------------------------

From: Hugh Saunders <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Proxy Server
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 09:54:51 +0100

Hi Folks.

Here is my dilemma:

I have two computers. One is a Win95 box, and the other is a Linux
machine running RedHat 6.0. They are networked and each box happily
communicates with the other. What I want to do now is set up the Linux
box so that:

1. If I (or my girlfriend) fires up Internet Explorer on the Windows
box, the Linux server will dial a connection if the URL isn't local.

2. The Linux box should accept email from the Windows machine and once
or twice a day dial up and forward this mail to my ISP. At the same
time, it should download any mail waiting for us in the pop mailbox and
provide pop access to the Windows client.

3. If an email is marked "urgent", the Linux box should dial up
immediately and send the email.

Can anyone help me? I've heard a lot about diald, but where do I get it?
(man diald says that there is no page for it, so I assume I'm going to
have to download it).

Thanks,

Hugh Saunders

------------------------------

From: Andrew Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: network cards
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:57:29 +0200

almost certainly no.  Look at the description of the card with UTP+coax, does
it support this?
If you go to UTP, you will need a hub.  I think coax is dying.

--
Mielipiteet omiani - Opinions personal, facts suspect, especially on my
        http://www.germanynet.de/teilnehmer/101/69082/samba.html

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: time sync
Date: 21 Jun 1999 08:12:43 GMT

Mircea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I use netdate. It came by default on Slackware 4.0, I don't know about
> other distributions.

> MST

> Karel Bemelmans wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> How can I sync. my local time with a timeserver ? Is that built-in or do
>> I need some kind of program/daemon ?

I use xntpd on my RH 6.0 machine and it's working like a charm.

Dan Ghozali                                 Ph(H) +61-3-343-1686
Dept. of Geological Sciences,                 (W) +61-3-364-2987 ext 7301
University of Canterbury,        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Christchurch - New Zealand              http://members.tripod.com/kiwidan

From: Andrew Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: smbclient not responding.
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:54:00 +0200

For general stuff on smbmount (I do not know what kernel you are using),
look at section 4.14 on my web-page.  If that does not help, comment out any
'debug level = ' line in smb.conf and then try running the smbmount with a
debug-level of 3 or above.  How to do that will be in the standard
documentation and where *that* is is also in section 4.14.
My ISP seems to filter 90% of all news-items out so I will probably not see
any follow-ups to this.

Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 05:12:25 +0000
From: Bryan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.security
Subject: Re: ipchains and MS Netmeeting

I didn't say you didn't know what you were talking about.  I was
replying to the initial question, what I'd seen earlier.  :)

>From what I understand, the initial question was trying to use
netmeeting using ipchains/ipfwadm or using kernel tools/modules of some
sort, as opposed to an external program.

-- Bryan

------------------------------

From: sunhao <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how to setup the virtual host in aparch on linux?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 09:30:50 GMT

how to setup the virtual host in aparch on linux

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: Tom Mulder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Tatung X-Terminal
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:46:47 +0200

Can anyone help me  with this one.

I have a Tatung TXT5000 X-Terminal, and i must boot it by tftp or nfs.
But it sais that it needs Xnds or nds  and probeble some software from
Tatung.
Does anyone have an idea of how to get it booted, or does anyone have
Xnds, nds,   or the Tatung X-Terminal software?

Any help would be nice.

Tom Mulder

------------------------------

From: "R.H." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux print filter writing
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 02:56:41 -0700

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can go on the web to find
a source for writing my own print filter.  I can't seem to get linux to
work with my HP5L laser printer through a Linksys EPSX3 print server.  I
have tried everything I can think of including manually editing the
printcap file, but nothing works.  So my last recourse is to try and
write my own print filter to get the laser printer to work properly.
The print server works fine in Win98 and the laser printer works fine
when connected locally.  But when printing through the LAN the lights
flash and I might get one page and then nothing and it keeps the rest of
the data either in the printserver's memory or in the printer's memory
and the only way to get it out is to manually eject the paper(but it
does not come out correctly and usually does not print the whole page)
or turn off the print server and printer and then turn them back on.
So, if anyone know where I can find information on writing print filters
I would appreciate it.

        Thanks,
                        Roger

------------------------------

From: Jay Daniels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: running ppp as non-root
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 12:27:20 -0400

scable wrote:

> Hi all.
>
> Can anybody out there tell me how to make a ppp interface available to
> non-root users in RH6.0?
> The Red Hat FAQ page on this question was not very helpful.  Thanks.

The best way is to setup sudo.  Then you type sudo appname

       "Captain, I just uploaded a virus called Windows to the
        Klingon computer system."
                                                      -Spock
Jay Daniels            Pc-Technical Services
http://planttel.net/~pctech/                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Andy Pahne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: two network interfaces / conf.modules-file
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:34:25 +0200

oh no,

no i configured everything in a way that my system hangs hangs while trying
to initialize eth0.
i cannot get in anymore.

i heard that there are optional start-parameters availlable, but i really
wonder where to find these options?

andy

------------------------------

From: Mark Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
Subject: Re: Mindcraft Retest News
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:12:38 +0100

R. Denoire <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> -If the server used has to cope with more than one NIC, NT is better
> here; supposedly Linux developers admit this weakness in current
> kernel versions and promised to work on this issue.

Is this refering to a single or multiple processor machine?

Note that WRT to the original Mindcraft test rather specific "fiddles"
were used. Which rely on the the number of NIC's being the same as
the number of processors.  Also, IIRC, the required functionality
in NT is new and possibly not even available to any real customer.

--
Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE High School

------------------------------

From: Mark Evans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Maximum number of NICs
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 10:21:00 +0100

Catherine Reilly <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> 1) Can the network drivers actually support eight NICs? (specifically,
> can the 3com drivers support eight NICs)?

Can you physically fit 8 NICs in the machine (and find free IRQ's
etc.)

--
Mark Evans
St. Peter's CofE High School

------------------------------

From: Rob van der Putten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: BNC Cable Limit in a peer  to peer n/w
Date: 21 Jun 1999 14:33:37 +0200

Hi there

Dave Edick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The IEEE 802.3 ethernet specs are very clear on maximum cable length.
> Thinnet (10Base2 is the official term) is 185 meters total bus length over
> RG-58U coax.  Back when Thinnet was the dominant media, a number of ethernet
> manufacturers (including 3Com) made all their Thinnet hardware to run overspec
> to 1000 feet.  It worked well as long as you made sure everything on an
> overspec cable run was overspec hardware and only used top quality connectors.

If the length of the cable was only limited by the cable losses, one could
extent the mamiximum length by using a low loss cable.
There are, however other limitations to the cable length;

If 2 computers are transmitting at the same time this will lead to a data
collision.
If thay are too far apart, they will not notice the collision because they
will have stopped transmitting before receiving the packet from the other
side of the cable.
A simular situation occurs when the far side of the cable is not properly
terminated: The remote side will reflect the signal and if the packet is
really small and the cable very long, the computer will have finished the
transmission before receiving it's refelection.

This means that the cable length is limited by the speed at wich the
signal travels through the cable (velocity factor; useally 66 % of the
light speed) and the minimum packet length (minimal 72 bytes including
preamble and sfd, 100 ns per bit for 10 Mbps and 10 ns per bit for 100
Mbps ethernet).

The higher the velocity facter and the longer it takes to transmit the
smallest possible packet, the longer a cable may be.

Regards,
Rob

|                Rob van der Putten, [EMAIL PROTECTED]                 |
|              http://www.sput.webster.nl/spam-policy.html               |

From: "Jo Knight" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NT Call Back with Linux ppp connection. Any Help / Ideas?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:30:59 +0100

HI,

I need some help here if possible. At present I connect to the net using
win95, I dial into a server at work which, when i connect to it, prompts me
for my phone number. my 95 box then hangs up and waits for the server to
call it back - therefore enabling me to use the net at my companies expense
(it is all above board!)....

My problem is that i have been using Linux for a while now, and prefer it by
100%, so does anyone know if it is possible to accomplish the same task
above with my Linux connection? I already have ppp set up so i can get
connected via my ISP.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Jo

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Malware <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Disabling Promiscuous mode
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 07:52:15 +0200

Hi Phooey,

you wrote:
> I've heard some comments in this newsgroup about eth0 going into promiscuous
> mode.     How do you disable an Ethernet card from entering promiscuous mode
> at boot time?    The [MAN] page for "ifconfig" tells you how to manually

You have to find the program causing the switch into promiscuous mode.
Next step is then either to drop or replace the program or to convince
it with parameters not to switch into this mode.

> turn this feature off, but does anyone know how to permanently disable this
> feature?

You do not need to disable it permanently as only root does have the
right to enable this mode.

> I do not recall ever turning this feature on when configuring my card.  Some
> people in this newsgroup believe that this is a sign of being "Hacked".

I would only think about being hacked if it does occour spurious, says
without a good reason. If one is not hacked there is a well-known class
of programs which do use this feature, network-sniffer (tcpdump and
friends) and bridges are contained within.

> I'm not sure if this is the case, or I enabled it accidentally when
> configuring my network.   Is anyone else having a problem with promiscuous
> mode?

I have not. If one of my interfaces is in promiscuous mode I know why
this does happen.

Malware