Linux-Networking Digest #609, Volume #11         Mon, 21 Jun 99 16:13:41 EDT

Contents:
  Re: sendmail question -- please help! (Dan)
  Re: can't get 2 linux boxes to host their own network (Monte Phillips)
  Re: Help: Apache as firewall proxy *very* slow (RH6.0) (Don Garrett)
  Which ethernet module?? ("Monty Scroggins")
  Re: chatMUD source (KevCo)
  Re: Proxy ("Tiger")
  Using ftp in windows to connect to linux ("bv")
  debian install (Yu Zhang)
  Caldera VS SAMBA ("Tiger")
  mgetty for dial-in blocks outgoing traffic ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: SAMBA ("Tiger")
  Modem Sharing ("Becky")
  Re: in.ftpd : login failed (guest)
  Re: Dial-up Networking (Matthew Willcock)
  Olicom RapidFire 2327 Driver? (Brent Sadler)
  Re: Modem Sharing ("Charles Ghent")
  Leafnode problems (Marc Mutz)
  Re: IPX and Token Ring (Tom)
  Re: POP3 error reading spool files (Tom Griep)
  Re: Dual NIC Help Please (billpiasecki)
  Running Xserver behind Sygate ("Orhan I. KARSLIGIL")
  Re: Linux Win98 Networking Problems!! (Richard)
  Re: can't get linux to see network! help! (Monte Phillips)
  Re: Need advice on modem (Rob Clark)
  ftp problem ("bv")
  Routing problem with 5 NIC's ! (Andre Cesari de Oliveira Minelli)

From: Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sendmail question -- please help!
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:34:18 -0500

Thanks for your response, Andrzej.

You are correct, the sendmail daemon has them in it's own queue.  here is a
sample line from "sendmail -bp":

KAA00879      706 Mon Jun 21 10:59 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                 (host map: lookup (currentdirections.com): deferred)
                                   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Why is this deferred?

Thanks, Dan

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Crossposted-To: redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: can't get 2 linux boxes to host their own network
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:18:47 GMT

As Amir said  check that cable.  Without a hub it must be a crossover
cable.  Easily made and easier bought.

------------------------------

From: Don Garrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.infosystems.www.servers,comp.os.linux.admin,comp.security.firewalls
Subject: Re: Help: Apache as firewall proxy *very* slow (RH6.0)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:16:43 GMT

  Is there any chance that it's trying to do DNS or Ident queries for
logging purposes, but they are failing? That could pause things until
the queries time out....

--
Don Garrett                                          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
BGB Consulting                  http://www.bgb-consulting.com/garrett

------------------------------

From: "Monty Scroggins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Which ethernet module??
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:42:50 GMT

I am using an Addtron AEF320TX ethernet card under
Linux 6.0.  I am attempting to install the ethernet module
to enable the ethernet connection but cannot figure out
which module might work with the Addtron card.
Does anyone know the ethernet module to use??

Thanks

Monty
--

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Monty Scroggins    MCI Telecommunications

"If you really want something in life you
have to work for it.  Now quiet, they're
about to announce the lottery numbers."..
- Homer Simpson

------------------------------

From: KevCo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: chatMUD source
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:52:31 +0000

I use a program called MiniHaven that does exactly what you are asking.
http://www.u.arizona.edu/~mlong/c-mh.html

------------------------------

From: "Tiger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Proxy
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:36:00 -0400

I been their. not enough information.

Andrey Smirnov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7kc8uj$mis$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> http://metalab.unc.edu/LDP/HOWTO/mini/IP-Masquerade.html
>
> good luck!
>
> Tiger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > I understand that I have to use some thing called Masqurade (to proxy)
is

------------------------------

From: "bv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Using ftp in windows to connect to linux
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:54:22 +0200

I have 2 linux boxes and a win98 box. But when i try to connect with ftp
from windows to linux, windows comes up with a dial-up-window. When I cancel
i can't connect but at the moment i have a connection to internet the ftp
connects (the same for telnet).

I also have a gateway at the windows-box. Both linux computers uses it. Do i
have to change anything in the route.conf? Becaus the gateway must only be
used when i try to connect a internet-ip from linux. I also don't have a
dns-server for my LAN. Is this nessecary for good networking, and is it hard
to set up?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yu Zhang)
Subject: debian install
Date: 21 Jun 1999 18:17:21 GMT

Anyone familar with Debian 2.1? I'm trying to install it, however I don't know how to
set up the bios so that you can switch between Windows 95 and Linux. Any ideas? Don't
tell
me to read the manual, it's more than 350 pages and full of bullshit.

-Yu

Yu Zhang     Civil Engin & Operation Research   Princeton University
             192 Old Graduate College           Princeton NJ 08544
Phone:       (609)258-4869 (Dept)               (609)258-9139 (Dorm)
Email:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
More Info:   As Wise As Perl     www.perl.com

From: "Tiger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Caldera VS SAMBA
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:20:20 -0400

I have been trying to set SAMBA with win95/98 for the last two weeks and I
have put a lot of time toward this and the only thing I got was seeing the
share on the network neighbor icon. when I click on it I sill get prompted
with a password that is always wrong.

I changed the verification to 4 from 8, I changed the authentication on both
machine .. I tried every thing.. and did not work.

I understand that if I write a  server instead of user that the password
will be verified on an NT machine of which I'm not connected to.

I also understand that some folks here have done that. If you have Caldera
2.2.5 and have got SAMBA to work on your system. Please email me with the
file. I would truly appreciate it. I also would like to know some
instruction on what file or command did you use to set up the machines...

Thanks

Joseph

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: mgetty for dial-in blocks outgoing traffic
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:10:44 GMT

I am using RedHat5.2 (ppp 2.3.5).

I have successfully set up my Linux machine so I can connect to the
internet via a modem using ifup ppp0 and ifdown ppp0. It works well.

But I have been experimenting with dial-in access to my Linux machine,
from a remote Win95 client. This involved using something called
mgetty+sendfax to "watch" the modem port for incoming calls. It just
involved changing a line in my inittab and it worked first time!

Unfortunately, using mgetty for incoming calls has blown out my outgoing
ppp capability. I get the message that the system lacks kernel support
for ppp.

* Is it possible to use mgetty and ppp on the same serial port?
* I haven't "compiled" ppp into my kernel as far as I know. My
experiences before tinkering with mgetty led me to think that ppp worked
"out of the box" with RH5.2.

Any ideas? I know that this dial-in PPP server business can be
problematic.

Michael

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "Tiger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SAMBA
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:35:23 -0400

Orange you making me laugh here. Are you helping or making it more difficult
or are you showing off. Please let us know how can you make smbpasswd hash?

as one of my friends said he only knew hash in Turky. just kidding..

Orange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Hello,
>
> Tiger wrote:
> >
> > when I click on my account in the network neighborhood icon I get a
prompt
> > to enter a password. when I enter the password it dos not recognize it?
any

------------------------------

From: "Becky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,tw.bbs.comp.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Modem Sharing
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 01:54:07 +0800

Hi all,

I am a newbie of Linux. I am setting up a server using SuSE with windows
NT machines clients.   Is it possible to install a modem in the linux
server and allow the clients to access the internet?
If yes, what package can i use?
Thx ...

Becky

------------------------------

From: guest <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: in.ftpd : login failed
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:10:32 -0400

Not to ask a stupid question but is the user your logging in part of
group FTP? Defined in the /home/ftp/etc/passwd file? You need to read
your ftp man's and make sure your user has access. It sounds like you
missed something along the way. Users do not have to be in ftp passwd
file as long as they are defined as part of ftp group and not
non-allowed via ftpaccess.
HTH
David Previti

------------------------------

From: Matthew Willcock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dial-up Networking
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:14:45 +0100

You could also try dialmon, a little program that talks to diald, and has lots
of clever functions built in to it.  The Windows program sits in the system
tray read for use.

Can't remeber the URL, but try an altavista search on it.

Matthew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Brent Sadler)
Subject: Olicom RapidFire 2327 Driver?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 17:42:48 GMT

RH 6.0 install "recognized" the card as Digital 21040 (Tulip), but it
fails to initialize during boot. Any suggestions?

FWIW, Win98 recognizes and uses driver Olicom Rapidfire 2327 Ethernet
10/100 PCI.

TIA,
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--A. Einstein

------------------------------

From: "Charles Ghent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,tw.bbs.comp.linux,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Modem Sharing
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:29:11 -0400

This should work fine.  I just setup my linux box with 3 Win98 PCs hooked
up.  The Linux box has a cablemodem attached via one ethernet card, and the
win98 boxes are all on a second ethernet card in the linux box.  I have one
primary IP address assigned via the cablemodem and the other boxes can all
use the internet.  I think you will have to install a ppp client on the
linux box (there is a post on this list that talks about that) and then you
should be able to subnetwork all the NT boxes easily.  Check out
www.linux.org and look under support - there are a lot of HOW-TOs and
Mini-HOW-TOs that give good information on how to set those kind of things
up.

news:7klu2h$jfh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: Marc Mutz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Leafnode problems
Date: 21 Jun 1999 20:30:57 +0200

Hi out there!

Tired of being online just to read news, I yesterday installed leafnode.
Compiling, configuring worked just fine. Also fetch semms to do what it
should, if you watch the syslog and the size of /var/spool/news.
When I subscribe to groups in netscape 4.08 I get the single article
leafnode sends as fake to get to know which usenet groups to download next
time. However, it stays the only one when I look at it after fetch got
the first group. I can easily read the news in /var/spool/news, so they are
there, but they just do not show up in netscape.
Checking rtin, there are less problems: It reports many 'bad overview
record (Date)' and '(References)' and adds more or less truncated hostnames
after them. After a while the article listing shows up and I can read
the messages just fine, but there is only a fraction of all articles listed.

I would try fetch -f, but not knowing if it helps, I dared not, because of the
cost and time needed. (We're talking comp.os.linux.* here...)

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Thanks,
Marc

------------------------------

From: Tom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IPX and Token Ring
Date: 21 Jun 1999 18:30:53 GMT

I got mine to work using ipx_configure and ipx_interface.  Try turning all
of the auto features off with ipx_configure, then use ipx_interface to add
your interface by hand.

                  http://www.searchlinux.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tom Griep)
Subject: Re: POP3 error reading spool files
Date: 21 Jun 1999 18:32:34 GMT

Andrzej Filip ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote: : Tom Griep wrote:

: > I am having problems reading email off my server using pop3. Everything
: > was working fine and it just stopped working. When I telnet to port 110,
: > the message I get is that the /usr/spool/mail file is already being read.
: > I deleted a pop.lock file that was in the /var/run directory and I still
: > get the error. Can anyone help.

: Most likely the problem is caused by per mailbox lock file.
: See your pop server man page for its name or
: run "ls -a /var/spool/mail"

: --
: Andrzej (Andrew) A. Filip

If I remember right, there isn't a lock file in the /var/spool/mail
directory. I deleted the one in /var/tmp directory though. I read
the man pages and they didn't have any info on the lock files.
I will check out your sugestion when I get home. The pop server
I am using is in.pop3d that came with Slackware.

Thanks

------------------------------

From: billpiasecki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dual NIC Help Please
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:33:27 -0700

I have read on newsgroups that there many people have problems with dhcpd
(client) for RG5.2. One persone says that the dchcpd library was written for
the newer 2.2 kernal and recomneds upgrading to the newer kernal. SOmeone else
wrote that the netmask must be 255.255.255.255 and it works. I have found that
when I configure my network with NetConfig and then look at my settings with
Linuxconf there are differences. I always doublecheck my NetCfg settings with
linuxconf. Seems since I did this my 2 NIC's have been functioning better. I am
using 2 3Com509b's and have downloaded and am using Donald Beclkers updated
3com drivers. (Very easy to do). I will test out my new settings (dhcpd) when
I get to work. If this doesn't work I will upgrade t the new kernal and use the
new RH6.0 tool called "pump". This includes dhcp+bootp.
Right now my first NIC will bot and get the dhcp IP and seem like it is okay.
But, if you try and ping it , you get nothing. I haven't fixed it yet but
hopefully a kernal upgrade or my use of linuxconf will fix it. Take care,

------------------------------

From: "Orhan I. KARSLIGIL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Running Xserver behind Sygate
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:31:22 -0400

Hi,

We have a two machine network with an NTServer  (192.168.0.1) connected
to the cable modem and running Sygate and a Linux (RedHat 6.0) machine
(192.168.0.101) as client. Everything is configured fine and working
properly.

I want to connect to a unix box and run X-applications remotely. I can
telnet to the remote machine and using xhost I already gave permissions
to the X-clients on my machine, but I can not export my display. If I
telnet from the Linux machine, the remote unix box sees the external IP
address of the NTServer  and of course does not recognize my Linux
machine as Xserver. How should I export my Display ?

(I am using setenv DISPLAY NTserver.real.IP:0 and it is not working
because of obvious reasons) Is there a way to configure Sygate aprules
so that I can send the Display to a spesific port of the NTserver so
that it is relayed to my machine?

Thanks,

Orhan Karsligil

------------------------------

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux Win98 Networking Problems!!
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 02:54:55 -0600

Rafo wrote:

> Hello:
> I am attempting to network a win98 box with a linux system.  All I am
> trying to do, is to run Apache HTTPD on the Linux box and access it from
> the win98 system so I can  test CGI scripts.
>
> I am attempting to connect them using ethernet cards.  I have assigned
> the following IP addresses:
> WIN98       IP:192.168.1.110    Mask:255.255.255.0
> Linux:          IP:192.168.1.100    Mask:255.255.255.0
>
> The linux system boots up with out a problem, it detected the ethernet
> hardware ok.  I have the hosts file properly structured, netestat looks
> ok.  At the linux box, when I ping for localhost and for 192.168.1.100
> there are no problems, all packet sent are received.  However, when I
> ping for the win98 system (192.168.1.110) I get no reply.  At the win 98
> system I can ping both localhost and 192.168.1.110 but I can't ping the
> linux box.  In other words, the systems are not able to talk at all.  I
> have connected them using a crossover (NULL) cable as suggested in the
> Ethernet-HOWTO.
>
> This has to be a simple problem to fix.  Please, someone come to the
> rescue!!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> RA

hello,
have you tried going into network icon in control panel(on win98box)
clicking on file and printer sharing and checking both boxes???? then have
to hit ok and then ok again and click yes to restart.
i fought that on my linux/win98 hybrid network until it dawned on me three
hours later, also make sure hard drive on win98 is shared.
if this doesnt work i have another idea. so email me back if it doesnt
work...
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Monte Phillips)
Subject: Re: can't get linux to see network! help!
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:22:47 GMT

It looks like you have the Ip addys/routing all screwed up.  Clean out
the linux box and follow the directions given on these site:

This site has a step by step howto for complete setup of samba.  steps
for both linux and the win machine.  (and they really work <G>)
http://www.sfu.ca/~yzhang/linux/samba/index.html
and this one as well
http://home.talkcity.com/MigrationPath/maguai/samba.html

These sites singly or in combination are nearly guaranteed to get you
networked.
>bjack wrote in message <376d2ccb.84741@news>...
>>Someone please help me before I rip all my hair out!!
>Here 's the deal:
>>I can ping myself... loopback and my self-assigned IP (10.0.0.4)
>>I can't ping the other two computers on my LAN, much less the
>>Internet.  The system running Redhat 6.0 is my own PC, while a Win98
>>box running a program called NAT32 has dual NICs.
>>I've got the following setup:
>>domain: ruthfd1.tn.home.com
>>default gateway 10.0.0.100
>>DNS 10.0.0.100
>>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>>this is the way the NAT32 works....and continues to work fabulously
>>when I boot to win98 on my machine.
>>netmask 255.255.255.0
>>My NIC is a 3com 509b.  When I try to ping my roommate's system, I see
>>intermintent  flashing on the hub on his line and mine.  And when I
>>try do anything else I see flashing on the server and mine.   And when
>>I boot up, it takes forever.. it hangs for about 5 minutes on:
>>Starting system log
>>and Starting sendmail
>>and when I try to start gnome, it sits there forever "Looking up host
>>name for Brandon" then eventually says Try Again or Continue? and I
>>pick continue and it hangs again indefinitely.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need advice on modem
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:41:26 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Aamer Sachedina  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Can you guys recommend me a relatively inexpensive 56K internal modem
>which will work with Linux as well as with Windows.  I'd really
>appreciate it.

Try here:
http://www.math.sunysb.edu/~comech/tools/CheapBox.html#modem

Good luck!
Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andre Cesari de Oliveira Minelli)
Subject: Routing problem with 5 NIC's !
Date: 21 Jun 1999 18:49:33 GMT

  Hi !

  Let me explain from the beginning:
  I have a Linux box with 4 PCI NIC acting like a router to 4 sub-nets
(say 192.168.23.0, 1
  Beleza, Yuri ? Tive um problema aqui na roteadora do ICB. Quem sabe vcs
ai do CRC me dao uma luz. Vou contar a historinha:
Nos temos aqui 4 sub-redes (150.164.23.0 , 150.164.24.0, 150.164.26.0 e
150.164.27.0 ). Estas 4 redes atualmente sao roteadas atraves de um
Linux-box com 4 placas PCI, de acordo com o esquema abaixo (cortei o
150.164 dos ip's para abreviar):

 CECOM ------------------------ hub ------
(26.254)      fibra otica                |
                                         | (26.1)
                        Linux (Slack 3.7 / Kernel 2.0.36)
                (23.254)|       (24.1)|         (27.254)|
                        |             |                 |
                      hub            hub               hub

  O mais correto seria adicionar mais uma placa de rede ligada
direto na fibra, ficando a placa 26.1 apenas como um gateway desta rede,
certo ?
Pois eh, eu fiz isso, porem como nao tinha mais slots PCI, joguei uma
placa ISA. Entao defini as seguintes rotas:
route add -net 150.164.23.0 broadcast 255.255.255.0 eth0
route add -net 150.164.24.0 broadcast 255.255.255.0 eth1
route add -net 150.164.26.0 broadcast 255.255.255.0 eth2
route add -net 150.164.27.0 broadcast 255.255.255.0 eth3

estas ja existiam na configuracao anterior. A interface eth4 (26.5)
recebeu a fibra otica direto e eu substitui a rota default anterior para
duas rotas assim:
route add -host 150.164.26.254 eth4
route add default gw 150.164.26.254 metric 1

  Parece tudo certo, nao eh ?
  Logado na roteadora eu tenho acesso a toda a rede interna e externa.
Porem de maquinas de qualquer umas das 4 redes internas eu nao consigo
sair. Se eu "pingo" a outra ponta la no CECOM, 26.254, nao ha resposta,
embora um ping em 26.5 tenha sucesso ! O que vcs acham disso ? O unico
problema que pude imaginar seria a mistura de placas PCI e ISA ... Alguma
dica ?

 Thanks,

Andre Minelli