Linux-Networking Digest #610, Volume #11         Mon, 21 Jun 99 17:13:33 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Setting up a name server (billpiasecki)
  Which Subnet to use ? ("Richi")
  Re: problem setting up DNS (Zoltan Pittner)
  Linux Firewalling/Multiple Ethernet Question (Chris Zimmerman)
  Re: IPPORT foward!!! (Zoltan Pittner)
  Re: Linux to replace NT Server (Thomas Klettke)
  AUI Fanouts for sale ("Nick")
  "MS Network Neighborhood" for unix (Chad Spencer)
  Re: PPTP client ("Bono")
  DosEmu over terminals ("Peter King")
  Printing to a Windows 95 printer (Mark)
  Re: multilink ppp and shotgun (Ben Hopkins)
  Re: ppp problems ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Quick PPP question (Mladen Gavrilovic)
  vpn and linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: DNS related problems (theoldman)
  Re: debian install (Greg de Freitas)
  Re: Linux in mixed network environment (Steve McAllister)
  Re: Linux in mixed network environment (Steve McAllister)
  Network Neighborhood functinality (Mihail Baba)

From: billpiasecki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Setting up a name server
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:46:02 -0700

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In article
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Wilson) wrote:
> > On Tue, 15 Jun 1999 00:13:58 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> > Well, first of all, make sure your ISP will let you run a web server
> > off your cable modem. Looking at your address, it appears to be
> > dynamically . If that's the case, you won't be able to (easily) have a
> > domain on your system.
> >
> > You need two name servers for a domain. See the internic's
> > registration procedure at http://www.internic.net
> >
> > I'll bet your ISP will not let you run a web server with your current
> > account.
> >
> > Paul
>
> Well my ISP uses DHCP, so my IP changes every few months.  For the
> secondary name server I have friend willing to use his computer.  I
> don't think my ISP will allow me to run a web server, but I've run one
> very often with no problems.  If I buy the domain I should still be able
> to accomplish what I'm trying to right?

Your  dhcp server will look at the MAC address of your nic card every so
often and update the ip and hopefuly assign you the same one everytime (no
promises). But you also need your ISP's DNS to add your www.yourname.come
to their database (probably for a charge) so the rest of the world cn find
you. See if your ISP will assign you 2 static IP's, one for the primary PC
and one for the secondary. Then you have to tell Internic which one is
primary ip and which is secondary ip. The trick is getting your ISP to
assign you static ip's. Can they (yes), will they (maybe). Hope this helps
and hope it is accurate.
Bill

------------------------------

From: "Richi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Which Subnet to use ?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:03:42 -0500

I am trying to hook up an ASDL line to my Linux box. I have two ethernet
cards. The first is for the LAN and is 10.0.0.10/255.0.0.0.

The eth1 card for the Cisco router is 10.0.0.99. Should it be on a different
subnet?

I am connecting to USWest and have a dynamic IP.

Thanks in advance

Rich

------------------------------

From: "Albert Want" <al-want@#--remove--#usa.net>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: Loading modules at boot
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:53:40 +0100

I've installed a second ethernet card on my PC but, since it's a tulip
adapter, at the startup it fails because the module is not loaded.

How to load modules at start-up in RedHat 6.0 ?

Thanks in advance

------------------------------

From: Zoltan Pittner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: problem setting up DNS
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:24:24 -0400

"Ng, Choon Hooi" wrote:

> Hi,
>   over the week end, I have been trying to set up a DNS for my small
> little LAN, running RH5.1, at home, but was unsuccessful, though I
> follow "exactly" as described in the DNS How-To.
>   The problem is, I cant get the dns server up. My resolv.conf  file is
> as below:
>
> resolv.conf:
> search mtc.tm.net.my tm.net.my
> nameserver 127.0.0.1
>
> At the prompt, if i typed 'nslookup', an error mesg saying "Server
> failed". But, I have my named running. I checked that by 'ps ax |fgrep
> named'.
>
> Anyone knows whats wrong with my setup? Any help is greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.
>
> Rgds,
>   CH

Make sure that your box is connected to the internet, before you fire up the
nslookup.

Zoltan

------------------------------

From: Chris Zimmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linux Firewalling/Multiple Ethernet Question
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:09:50 -0500

I am interested in setting up a firewall using an existing Linux
server.  I will have a 512K frame relay link connected to a router that
will then connect into eth0 on the Linux box, and eth1 will connect to
the internal network.  The internal network will be running a class C
address space, so I need to know how I can go about doing this with
multiple ethernet cards.  Do I need to further break up the address
range so that each network card will have a different subnet?  I
understand that there may be some issues with the same subnet on 2
cards.

Thanks,
Chris Zimmerman

------------------------------

From: Zoltan Pittner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IPPORT foward!!!
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 15:05:16 -0400

&nbsp;
some help..&nbsp; Here is
Linux
box..
network
and a gateway
running
of Linux.
of the
a catching
for
the
get to
with the
boat.
that
not sure..
and
This is just a guess - you should be using <i>ipmasqadm</i> instead of
ipportfw.
HREF="http://members.home.net/ipmasq/">http://members.home.net/ipmasq/</A>
- there you can find the latest version of the howto, and places from where

------------------------------

From: Thomas Klettke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: linux.redhat
Subject: Re: Linux to replace NT Server
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:13:16 -0500

Check out also the linux.samba newsgroup, you find more detailed information
there. And: yes, it can be done with Linux (samba)

------------------------------

From: "Nick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.ras,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.win95,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.windows,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.admin.networking,comp
Subject: AUI Fanouts for sale
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:28:33 -0400

If you are in need of a 4 port AUI fanout, then go to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=117878498

ANy quiestions email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Chad Spencer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
linux.samba,linux.redhat.misc,comp.protocols.smb,comp.unix.misc,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: "MS Network Neighborhood" for unix
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 13:58:19 -0500

A recent tcl/tk program has been developed for unix systems that
acts much like Microsoft's Network Neighborhood. Its useful for
browsing college dorm networks (among other things). If you've
used Network Neiborhood in Windows, you know what it does.
Its been tested successfully on Linux and Ultrix, but will run on
any unix with samba and tcl/tk. It can be found at:
  http://www.public.iastate.edu/~chadspen/xsmbrowser-1.0.2.tar.gz
Enjoy!

------------------------------

From: "Bono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: PPTP client
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 04:43:54 +0900

If you're using an external ADSL modem, you can make your linux box to
connect to your ISP.

However, with an internal modem, it's negative.
You need a ADSL NIC driver for linux.
But, I never heard such a driver was made.

For more information, send a mail to me.

Bono

------------------------------

From: "Peter King" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: DosEmu over terminals
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:02:04 +0100

How do you set-up Linux to allow connected terminals to run DosEmu.
I have a Red Hat 6 box but if I try and run the DOS command on the terminal
screen it says that you cannot run dos please contact your system
administrator.

------------------------------

From: Mark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Printing to a Windows 95 printer
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:05:12 +0100

Hi,
        Does anyone know whether it's possible to print to a printer
attached to a Windows 95 (Sorry!) machine from Linux. The reason I want
to do this is because the printer itself is one of those "Windows"
printers. I figured if I have a sort of print server (486) I could use
it from Linux. If anyone know of any sites which would tell me how to do
this that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
--
Mark

------------------------------

From: Ben Hopkins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: multilink ppp and shotgun
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 11:21:06 -0500

Pei-tao Deng wrote:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: ppp problems
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:55:54 GMT

thank you for your reply. its good to know that I was able to setup ppp
correctly. unfortunately I'm beginning to suspect the problem is on the
isp's side of things. see below.

In article <7kg6p6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite) wrote:
> There seems to be nothing wrong with the interface configuration,
> routing, or PPP negotiations.  I'd look for the source of your problem
> elsewhere, e.g., perhaps the nameserver IP quad address isn't correct
> in /etc/resolv.conf .

I'm pinging an IP address so dns shouldn't be involved.

> Additional remarks below.
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> : I'm trying to get ppp going to an ISP that is
> : running an NT 3.5 server. it looks like everything
> : is connecting however I can not ping the server or
> : anything other than my local machine. looking at
>
> What messages does "ping" display, or does it just hang with no
messages?

[root@localhost /root]# ping 209.96.160.14
PING 209.96.160.14 (209.96.160.14): 56 data bytes
--- 209.96.160.14 ping statistics ---

11 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

the IP address I'm pinging is that of the ppp server, is it posible that
the server has gotten confused and doesn't know how to route IP packets
back to me? I can see the modem transmitting while I'm pinging it just
never receives anything back. I tried to get tcpdump to listen to the
ppp0 interface but it complained that it didn't know how to listen to
it.

thanks
Norm

> : the modem lights I see them flicker when trying to
> : ping but I never get anything back. the only
> : obvious error is a CCP time out (I tried to fix
> : this with the noccp option but then I get unknown
> : protocol errors). attached are the results form
>
> The log showed pppd and NT have no common CCP algorithm.  The noccp
> should cause pppd to Configure-Reject CCP so the CCP negotiations
don't
> drag on and on.  Without it they drag on because the NT PPP
implementers
> mistakenly thought that a Term-Request for a non-open protocol will
> terminate the protocol negotiations - it won't.
>
> The unknown protocol message isn't an error, it's to inform people
> reading the logs why pppd issued the Protocol-Reject.  It's very
common
> for there to be no common algorithm since many PPP implementations use
> "patented" compression algorithms which cannot be freely implemented
> in pppd.
>
> There is one "bad frame" message that I *think* results from another
> NT PPP implementation mistake, but it is of no consequence to the link
> negotiations.
>
> --
> Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                       Not a guru.
(tm)

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Mladen Gavrilovic <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Quick PPP question
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:21:30 -0400

Hi all.

When I put in a PPP interface using RedHat's control panel tool (and I
allow any user to start it), how would I start it as an ordinary user
(with what command, that is)?  I'd like to be able to start it both from
a command prompt and from Xwindows.
I'd appreciate any info.

Regards,

Mladen

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: vpn and linux
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:22:35 GMT

Hi,
i need some help on my corporate network design.
i'm planning to deplay a corporate network over the internet.
my company has two sites, eg. site a and site b.
i'm planning to use poptop on linux.

i'm thinking of the following configuration:

site a: internal adress 192.168.1.X
        external adress 1.2.3.4 (from my isp at site a)

site b: internal adress 192.168.2.X
        external adress 5.6.7.8 (from my isp at site b)

each site has this configuration:

internal net -> firewall -> external net -> router -> internet

on the internal net we use nt workstation 4.0.
the firewall is planned to be linux. on the external
net is our web and mail server. machines from the internal
net have to access the www and mail-server through the firewall.

the firewall is configured to be ip packet filtering.

now my questions:

1. is it possible to install the firewall (ipfwadm) and the pptp
server/client (poptop) on the same machine ?

2. how is the corporate network traffic filtered out from site a to
site b (something like route 192.168.2.X -> 5.6.7.8) ?

3. is it possible with any pptp solution on linux to provide
connectivity for some windows nt/98/95 clients for remote access ?

4. has anybody performance considerations for this configuration. what
types of boxes (486,586,PIII-550,XEON,ALPHA....) do i need for the pptp-
encryption ?

5. am i on the right way or should i rather use two microsoft nt-
servers with pptp or some
cisco or other third party solution ?

these are enough questions for today.
thank you very much for any help.
kw.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: theoldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DNS related problems
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:26:57 +0200

Carl R. Friend wrote:

> Robert wrote:
> >
> > I have a linux box RH5.2) connected to an ISP via a dial up and a W95
> > box connected to the Linux box via ethernet. My goal is to be able to
> > graphically browse the internet and access mail and news from either
> > or both boxes simultaneously.
>
>    You're looking for IP masquerading, and, happily, you're on the
> right track.
>
> > I then execute tar -x ipfwadm-2.3.0.tar and I get an apparently hung
> > system until I do ^z to escape.
>
>    You forgot the "f" option to the tar command. It should look like:
>
>    tar -xvf  ipfwadm-2.3.0.tar
>
>    Note, also, that you can dispense with the gunzip step by:
>
>    tar -xzvf ipfwadm-2.3.0.tar.gz
>
> > Question 1: Am I on the right track with this and what is my syntax
> > error with tar?
>
>    Yes.
>
> > Question 2: executing smbclient -L kids returns information about
> > shared resources on kids which is my W95 box.
>
>    Samba is another kettle of fish and is used to connect a Win9x/NT
> box to a Linux server. Unless you really need to do that, you don't
> need Samba running. Too, if you're going to run it, you might want
> to filter out the NetBIOS-over-IP protocols on the outside link as
> they can leak passwords out onto the 'Net.
>
> > Executing smbmount //kids/c /mnt/kidspc returns a   kids: unknown
> > host message.
>
>    That means that the IP address of "kids" isn't in your /etc/hosts
> file. Can you smbmount the machine using the IP address.
>
>    Note that with a network that size, you probably do not want to
> run a DNS server unless you have the desire (or need) to learn about
> its administration or want it as a caching server. The /etc/hosts
> file is adequate for your needs.
>
>    Good luck with it!
>
> --
> +------------------------------------------------+---------------------+
> | Carl Richard Friend (UNIX Sysadmin)            | West Boylston       |
> | Minicomputer Collector / Enthusiast            | Massachusetts, USA  |
> | mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]                |                     |
> | http://www.ultranet.com/~crfriend/museum       | ICBM: N42:22 W71:47 |
> +------------------------------------------------+---------------------+

Thanks for the reply. Your explanation of the 'tar' syntax cleared up the
problem.

 As far as IP-Masquerading is concerned, I have implemented all of the
steps listed in the HOWTO and
other posts but I can still not get beyond he point I described in my
<long> call for help. I am not sure whether I need 'named'
to be configured or whether to use ipfwadm to achieve my end result which
is to be able to access the internet from my W95 box
and / or my Linux box at the same time.

Regards

Rob

------------------------------

From: Greg de Freitas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: debian install
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:39:35 +0100

Yu Zhang wrote:

> Anyone familar with Debian 2.1? I'm trying to install it, however I don't know how to
> set up the bios so that you can switch between Windows 95 and Linux. Any ideas?
>Don't tell
What makes you think the BIOS _needs_ setting up ? (Would you mind sharing the
reason with us please, as some details of your h/w, partitioning, etc/etc/etc
might be helpful. :-)

> me to read the manual, it's more than 350 pages and full of bullshit.
>
> -Yu
>
> --
> Yu Zhang     Civil Engin & Operation Research   Princeton University
>              192 Old Graduate College           Princeton NJ 08544
> Phone:       (609)258-4869 (Dept)               (609)258-9139 (Dorm)
> Email:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> More Info:   As Wise As Perl     www.perl.com

Ciao 4 now, Greg.
# Email     :  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   #
# Email     :  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]    #
#  To Live, To Love, To Learn, To Leave A Legacy.    #

------------------------------

From: Steve McAllister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux in mixed network environment
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:04:14 -0400

A few months ago I was running a firewall w FTP connected to the outside and
Appletalk/SMB/NFS server on the inside, on one 166 Pentium(old) machine. It
wasn't hard use, but I was at times trying to get it to mess up doing
simultanious Windows and Mac backups. I didn't have  IPX as I didn't have any
machines running it at the time, but had heard good things. All worked fine
after a few minor tweaks using S.U.S.E. 5.3 using kernal 2.0.36. But when I
upgraded to S.U.S.E. 6.1 with a 2.2.5 kernal I had a big mess and have yet to
resolve the various problems as i've been too busy with other projects. I may
have to go back to the old settup. Untill I can gather the info I need to
make stuff work.

steve

From: Steve McAllister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 18:12:38 -0400

From: Mihail Baba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network Neighborhood functinality
Date: 21 Jun 1999 20:25:58 GMT

Hello,

Is there a program that has a similar functionality as
Network Neighborhood does?

Thank you!

Mihail
[EMAIL PROTECTED]