Linux-Networking Digest #611, Volume #11         Mon, 21 Jun 99 19:13:52 EDT

Contents:
  figured SAMBA out. ignore my previouse message. Got a question about PROXY .. any
help? ("Tiger")
  Re: Nagel algorithm?? (bill davidsen)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Philip Brown)
  How to Forward default NAT destination? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: sendmail question -- please help! (mist)
  snmpd death - Redhat 6.0 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  snmpd death - Redhat 6.0 ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Why is linux perfomance bad compared to windows? ("Charles Ghent")
  IPPORT foward!!! ("Ed Willoughby")
  Re: Using ftp in windows to connect to linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: How do I create a custom (Menuing) Shell? (David Magda)
  Re: "Network Unreachable" (Steve & Kim Gilbert)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News ("Stuart Fox")
  sendmail and NFS... ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  how do i diable remote telnet ftp and other listening/open ports? (Richard)
  Re: Synchronizing cmos clock with timeserver? (Eric Veldhuyzen)
  Re: Local  network setup help !! ("Philippe CHARDONNET")
  Ping problem!!! (Red Hat Linux User)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Philip Brown)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft Retest
News (Jason O'Rourke)
  Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was:  (Tim Kelley)

From: "Tiger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: figured SAMBA out. ignore my previouse message. Got a question about PROXY ..
any help?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:41:33 -0400

I have been for a while looking for help and did not get it for a simple
problem.. of which did not get help. I think we just have to find the hard
way and do not help each other.

Well, Dos any one know about proxy?? I need to set my machine as a proxy
server for the rest of the lab I'm working in. no NT available Linux will be
the only machine.

Thanks

Joseph

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (bill davidsen)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Nagel algorithm??
Date: 21 Jun 1999 21:00:50 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Mike Jagdis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

| The no nagle config option no long exists and probably the rogue
| ifdef check should no longer exist either. Nagle is automatically
| turned off on a per socket basis if you set the TCP_NODELAY
| socket option on the socket. Turning nagle off globally is a
| bit drastic in most cases.

I agree that the possibility for shooting yourself in the foot is there,
but in some cases a systemic problem (higher latency) favors a systemic
solution. I wish I could easily turn this on and off on a system wide
basis, I'd love to see what it would do for PPP connections (if
anything). Or perhaps it could be done on an interface basis, where
there are known problems or limitations.

I got about 20% boost in ftp rate, not enough to solve the problem, but
enough to indicate a step in the right direction.

--
bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
  The Internet is not the fountain of youth, but some days it feels like

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Crossposted-To:
omp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was: Mindcraft
Retest News
Date: 21 Jun 1999 20:57:29 GMT

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999 19:15:01 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>That's a fairly obtuse statement.  Given eBay's recent dependence on such a
>"better machine" implementation.

failed again at FUD, microserf.

EBay recently admitted that they did not install the recommended patchset for
their Sun servers, which would have prevented the problem.

The word of the day is mispergitude

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to Forward default NAT destination?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 18:57:40 GMT

I have a small network as follows:

3COM ISDN LanModem running NAT connected
via ethernet to a RedHat 6.0 Server and
3 Win98 Clients.

What I want to do is configure the 3COM box to
send unsolicited IP packets from the internet to
the Linux box for handling. All other traffic
will occur directly between the client in
question and the 3COM box. This is fine because
most of my services are on the Linux box, however
I want to run some services on the other machines.

How can I configure the Linux box to forward
packets to the other clients based on the port
number of the incoming packet. (for example I may
want to run a telnet based service on another
machine, so I would want to forward the telnet
port to the other machine and manage the
resulting connection)  I assume I will be using
IPMasq, but will I run into problems with what
seems to be to be a double NAT setup?  After the
connection is established will all traffic have
to be processed by the Linux machine? (I suppose
it will, since the 3COM box will have no idea
what is going on...)

Is there another way?

Any input would be appreciated.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: mist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: sendmail question -- please help!
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 21:30:45 +0100

Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed to us that -
>Thanks for your response, Andrzej.
>
>You are correct, the sendmail daemon has them in it's own queue.  here is a
>sample line from "sendmail -bp":
>
>KAA00879      706 Mon Jun 21 10:59 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>                 (host map: lookup (currentdirections.com): deferred)
>                                   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
>Why is this deferred?

Most likely because it's set up that way.  It may have been told to
queue mail on startup or via it's configuration (Something like
HoldExpensive being set with "E" set on the local mailer flags - it
shouldn't really be like that though.).  Either that or there could be a
problem with DNS lookups.
--
Mist.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: snmpd death - Redhat 6.0
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 19:39:36 GMT

After a recent upgrade from redhat 5.2 to 6.0 on Compaq proliant 850R
servers, snmpd now seems to die without any explination in log files.
The daemon just seems to die off after as short as five minutes, to as
long as 2 weeks.  This has happened multiple times on different
machines, (same hardware, we have 3 of these boxes).  We never had any
problem like this from redhat 5.2.  Our kernel version is 2.2.5-22 and
our snmp package is ucd-snmp-3.6.1-4.  All other packages on the systems
are up to date as well.  This is quite irritating as our snmp box pages
me when it dies, and its hard to know whether the machine died or just
snmp, so we have to treat each event as a real outage.  Thanks for any
input on this, and please copy your response to my email address.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "Charles Ghent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why is linux perfomance bad compared to windows?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:08:24 -0400

Bah :)

Granted, I now work in a place where they have many NT boxes, and for the
most part - I say the most part - they run pretty well.  Unfortunately, if
you don't reboot them periodically (at least once a week) they will begin to
develop interesting personality "quirks".

With a linux box, especially with the 2.0.x kernels, they rarely go down.
Boxes setup by someone with even the most basic understanding of Linux can
be up and running for months without a reboot.  Granted, it might take a bit
more work to set the OS up, but once it's up it's very reliable.

The fact that you might take offense that someone is comparing Linux
FREEWARE to the ever quality conscious Microsoft folks speaks volumes :)

Yuki Taga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sun, 13 Jun 1999 00:15:57 -0400, in article
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kwan Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >Jon Finanger wrote:
>
> >> So whats the main advandages of linux compared to windows? (I'm a kind
of
> >> new to this :)
>
> >1) Reliability -- Linux boxes don't go down.  In four years of running
> >Linux I've NEVER had a kernel panic on a production system. Compare this
> >to the, on average, monthly BSODs on my NT 4.0 server (both the Linux
> >Apache and NT IIS servers are running on PII/266 boxes, 128M RAM, 5.7
> >Gig IDE, 5 Gig SCSI).
>
> No offense, but I'm going to state a fact here.  If you're getting monthly
> BSODs running NT4 SP-3 or higher, either you have a hardware problem or an
> operator problem.  It has nothing to do with the OS, and blaming it on the
OS
> simply makes you look less than completely professional, at least when it
comes
> to NT.  The rest of your points are not bad, but this one is terrible.
This is

------------------------------

From: "Ed Willoughby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: IPPORT foward!!!
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 14:05:52 -0400

Well, I've gotten deep into this one.. I really need some help..  Here is
the situation.. I was running a system called ShareTheNet. It is a Linux
based gateway/router.. I have 4 windows 98 PC's networked to the Linux box..
The Linux box has two NIC's .. eth0 and eth1.  Eth0 is the internal network
based on
192.168.x.x.  Eth1 is hooked to a cable modem with a static IP and a gateway
ip. .. I have a
WEB FTP and TELNET server running on one of the win98 PC's.  Been running
this setup for over a year now.. Works great..  Now the problem...

I changed out the ShareTheNet program and went to the SuSE 6.1  of Linux.
It has the 2.2.7 kernel..  I have recompiled the kernel with all of the
required network stuff.. ipforwarding/Msq/routing ect....

I reregistered a domain with interNIC (pcflight.com).  I setup a catching
DNS on my primary static IP with the secondary as my cable providers
ns2.DNS.

The internal network can get to the Internet just fine! but I can not for
the life of me get the WWW FTP and Telnet ports to route to the internal
computer running the servers.  I have the firewall prams set in the
rc.config pointing to the internal ip's of the servers, but I can not get to
them from the net..  Now with Share the net,  I did this with the
following...

ipportfw -A -t 209.192.x.x/80 -R 192.168.0.30/80
ipportfw -A -t 209.192.x.x/21 -R 192.168.0.30/21
ect. ect

I have read the man and ho to's on ip chains, but must be missing the boat.
When I do a ipchains -L -n the print out shows as best as I can tell that
things should pass th  internal server.. but no go..
I must be missing something!  I think it is in the ipchains, but not sure..
MSQ appears to be working and all internal pc's can ping the Internet and
use WWW/FTP/TEL.

HELP!  I've worked on this for days!
ED

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Using ftp in windows to connect to linux
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 20:14:38 GMT

How are you ftp'ing?
Have you tried opening an MS-Dos prompt and
ftp'ing at the Windows prompt to the ip address of
one of the linux boxes (c:\windows>ftp #.#.#.#).
This works for me. I found I had to switch the IP
address from dynamic to static on the win98 box
and keep it in the same domain and subnet mask as
the linux boxes. I don't know how this will effect
your gateway though (which is something I will be
attempting to set up here soon.)

Now, maybe you can help me with something.
I am trying to ftp TO the win98 box from the linux
boxes. Any suggestions? I had it working fine on
'95 w/ onnet's '93 version of ftpsrv. '98 doesn't
seem to offer any type of mode of ftp to listen or
act as host and of coarse the '93 dos version
doesn't run on '98. Ideally I just skip the
ftp'ing at a dos-prompt and have them networked in
a real fashion. Any suggestions there? What are
you using for your gateway? And how do you
transfer from the linux boxes to the win98 box?

Hope MY advice was helpful to you. I listed a
little more help below.

In article <7kljoh$2q2s9$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "bv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have 2 linux boxes and a win98 box. But when i
try to connect with ftp
> from windows to linux, windows comes up with a
dial-up-window. When I cancel
> i can't connect but at the moment i have a
connection to internet the ftp
> connects (the same for telnet).

> This sounds like the program you are using for
  ftp has an address conflict w/ the dial-up and
  the dial-up apparently over-rides since it's
  98 driven. Or maybe you don't have a protocol
  set up for it. If you go into network properties
  there should be 2 tcp/ip protocols set up. One
  for your dial-up adapter and one for your lan
  card. If there are 2 then try changing the one
  for the lan card to be static by going into
  properties.

> I also have a gateway at the windows-box. Both
linux computers uses it. Do i
> have to change anything in the route.conf?
Becaus the gateway must only be
> used when i try to connect a internet-ip from
linux. I also don't have a
> dns-server for my LAN. Is this nessecary for
good networking, and is it hard

From: David Magda <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.admin,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: How do I create a custom (Menuing) Shell?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 18:03:42 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Gene Wilburn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[...]
> Some while back I used an ISP that had a dandy console-based menu system
> using lynx and html pages. It was extremely effective: it popped up when
Internix (io.org) in Toronto, right?

--
David Magda <dmagda at ee.ryerson.ca>, 2nd Year Electrical Eng.

------------------------------

From: Steve & Kim Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux.caldera
Subject: Re: "Network Unreachable"
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:16:43 -0400

Hi Jeff:

Read the SAMBA documentation in the getting started manual (pg 183). I followed
it and it works great. I have the same set up as you and can share dir's and
pinter

Gilly

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 09:56:59 +1200

Philip Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 13:22:10 +1200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >Neither do MS apps.  Outlook prompts to run or save when you double click
on
> >it.
>
> and there's a little box to uncheck, "show this window again?"
>
> I wonder what percentage of MS users ever see that window again.

If the admins are doing their jobs properly, the will use a policy file
which sets it on all the time...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: sendmail and NFS...
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:01:00 GMT

Hi,

I've set up a sendmail server to use NFS mounts for /var/spool/mqueue
and /var/spool/mail. It works, but if I try to send 100+ mails in quick
succession to the mail server, the load average (on the mail server)
goes way up over 25, and the sendmail daemon goes into queue only mode.
Also, a whole bunch of sendmail processes remain running for quite some
time (a minute or more) - the actual mail transfers are extremely slow.
If I set the mail server to use a local spool directory, the load is
barely noticeable (with the same number of mails being sent), and all
mails are transferred within a few seconds - I can't even see more than
3-4 sendmail processes running at any time.

I've experimented with NFS mount options including nolock, rsize and
wsize, but none of them seems to help very much. Any ideas, anyone?

TIA..

Srix.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how do i diable remote telnet ftp and other listening/open ports?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 03:04:48 -0600

what command can i use to dissable the ports on my system connected to
my lan here at work so that i can lock down security?

------------------------------

From: Eric Veldhuyzen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Synchronizing cmos clock with timeserver?
Date: 21 Jun 1999 19:56:21 +0200

Ronald Hovens writes:
> Hello, I have a fine-working redhat linux server. However, I have a
> problem with synchronizing my system clock with a time server on the
> internet.  To set my system clock every time an internet connection
> is established, I use the rdate command in my ip-up script:

> /usr/bin/rdate -s wrzx03.rz.uni-wuerzburg.de

> This works partially: the system clock indeed is set, but when I
> turn off my computer, the clock setting is lost. How can I make sure
> that the time/date setting is stored in the CMOS clock, so powering
> off doesn't affect the new setting?

Use the setclock comamnd to store the time in the CMOS. I advise you
to use NTP (xntpd). It is more accurate.

--
#!perl #                       Life ain't fair, but root passwords help.
# Eric Veldhuyzen                                   http://www.terra.nu/

------------------------------

From: "Philippe CHARDONNET" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Local  network setup help !!
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 00:32:27 +0200

Hi !

Monte Phillips <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> a écrit dans le message :
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> This site has a step by step howto for complete setup of samba.  steps
> for both linux and the win machine.  (and they really work <G>)
> http://www.sfu.ca/~yzhang/linux/samba/index.html
> and this one as well
> http://home.talkcity.com/MigrationPath/maguai/samba.html
>
> These sites singly or in combination are nearly guaranteed to get you
> networked.

Thanks for your answer :!!

I've downloaded both and gonna take a look at them offline !

I hope it'll be the last time I'll be looking at my computers unable to talk
to ech other !...

Thanks again !

Phil.

------------------------------

From: Red Hat Linux User <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Ping problem!!!
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:36:44 -0400

I'v setup a mini-network with a linux box (eth0 : 198.235.112.4) to a
Windows 95 machine (eth0: 198.235.112.5) with a SynOptics hub. The linux
box runs the latest kernel (2.2.10).

I use the IPtraf utility to monitor what's going on.
Here my ifconfig:
[root@Server net]# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:20:AF:3D:FD:BF
          inet addr:198.235.112.4  Bcast:198.235.112.255
Mask:255.255.255.0
          Interrupt:10 Base address: 0x300
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

and my route:
[root@Server net]# route
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use
Iface
198.235.112.0   *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0
eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U     0      0        0
lo

Now when I ping from my linux box to the Win95 machine:

(IPtraf panels)
=======================
ICMP dest unreach (host) (132 bytes) from 198.235.112.4 to 198.235.112.4
on
  ICMP dest unreach (host) (132 bytes) from 198.235.112.4 to
198.235.112.4 on
  ICMP dest unreach (host) (132 bytes) from 198.235.112.4 to
198.235.112.4 on
  ARP (42 bytes) from 0020af3dfdbf to ffffffffffff on eth0
  ARP (42 bytes) from 0020af3dfdbf to ffffffffffff on eth0
  Bottom         Elapsed time:   0:00

========================
 IPTraf
 Statistics for eth0

               Total      Total    Incoming   Incoming    Outgoing
Outgoing
             Packets      Bytes     Packets      Bytes     Packets
Bytes
 Total:            4        168           0          0
4        168

Total:            4        168           0          0           4
168
 IP:               0          0           0          0
0          0
 TCP:              0          0           0          0
0          0
 UDP:              0          0           0          0
0          0
 ICMP:             0          0           0          0
0          0
 Other IP:         0          0           0          0
0          0
 Non-IP:           4        168           0          0
4          0

=========================
 IPTraf
    PktsIn     IP In   BytesIn   InRate  PktsOut    IP Out  BytesOut
OutRate
 Ethernet HW addr: 0020af3dfdbf on eth0
 L        0         0         0                 4         0       168
 Ethernet HW addr: ffffffffffff on eth0
 L        4         0       168                 0         0         0

 2 entries                          InRate and OutRate are in kbits/sec
===========================

When I ping from the Window 95 machine to my linux box
(IPtraf panels)
=====================
ARP (42 bytes) from 0020af3dfdbf to 0020afe610a9 on eth0
ARP (60 bytes) from 0020afe610a9 to ffffffffffff on eth0
ARP (42 bytes) from 0020af3dfdbf to 0020afe610a9 on eth0
ARP (60 bytes) from 0020afe610a9 to ffffffffffff on eth0
ARP (42 bytes) from 0020af3dfdbf to 0020afe610a9 on eth0
 Bottom      Elapsed time:   0:00
 IP:          0 TCP:         0 UDP:         0 ICMP:         0 Non-IP

=====================
    PktsIn     IP In   BytesIn   InRate  PktsOut    IP Out  BytesOut
OutRate
 Ethernet HW addr: 0020afe610a9 on eth0
 L        4         0       168      0.2        4         0
240     0.2
 Ethernet HW addr: ffffffffffff on eth0
 L        4         0       240      0.2        0         0
0     0.0
 Ethernet HW addr: 0020af3dfdbf on eth0
 L        0         0         0      0.0        4         0
168     0.2

==========================
 Statistics for eth0

               Total      Total    Incoming   Incoming    Outgoing
Outgoing
             Packets      Bytes     Packets      Bytes     Packets
Bytes
 Total:            6        306           3        180
3        126
 IP:               0          0           0          0
0          0

What is Ethernet HW addr: fffffffffffff on eth0?
Why do I get non-IP bytes?

Thanks for any help.
Gilles

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip Brown)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 21 Jun 1999 22:04:32 GMT

On 21 Jun 1999 21:29:31 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>On Sat, 19 Jun 1999 13:22:10 +1200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>Neither do MS apps.  Outlook prompts to run or save when you double click on
>>it.
>
>and there's a little box to uncheck, "show this window again?"
>
>I wonder what percentage of MS users ever see that window again.

oops. I was thinking of another piece of software. Does Outlook have that
checkbox as well?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jason O'Rourke)
Crossposted-To:
Date: 21 Jun 1999 15:46:16 -0700

Philip Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>some price points:
>http://www.gateway.com/prod/sb_e5250550xl_prodinfo.shtml
>a 2-way Xeon 550 mhz computer, for $6499, NO DISCOUNT
>a 4-way Xeon 550mhz computer, $10,800  [512k L2 cache]
>a 4-way Xeon 550mhz computer, $17,700  [1-meg L2 cache]
>a 4-way Xeon 550mhz computer, $28,400  [2-meg L2 cache]

>compare to sun's cheapest 4-way box, an E450:
>4-way 250mhz E450, $20,900 list price [1-meg L2 cache]
>4-way 300mhz E450, $30,000 list price [2-meg L2 cache]
>4-way 300mhz E450, $36,500 list price [4-meg L2 cache]
>I HATE this. I much prefer sun boxes. But you'll certainly pay the premium for
>them.

Umm, I think you ignore considerable differences between these two
products.  I looked at the Gateway listing for their machine - Comes with
a single disk and looks like a typical PC.  The E450, otoh, is the size of
a small dorm fridge.  It can take 3 powersupplies (which can be hot
swapped), and has slots for 4 hot swap drives (and space for two more
controllers to up this to 20) that are accessible without opening the
case.

As for NT vs solaris...we'll leave that one alone.
--
Jason O'Rourke  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   www.jor.com
'96 BMW r850R

------------------------------

From: Tim Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Could Microsoft Cheat On The New Mindcraft Benchmark? (was:
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 17:06:54 -0500

Frank Sweetser wrote:

> > >Win 98 was a fix for Win95 don't try to tell me they don't sell them.
> >
> > Wrong, 98's sole purpose on earth is to force IE4/5 upon every user
> > possible.  IE is the most important peice of software ms has right now.
>
> tell that to the hundreds of MIS managers who asked MS "how do we make 95
> y2k compliant?" and got told "windows 98."

Actually the line was "buy NT".  98 is so unbelieveably horrible I doubt
that too many businesses are using it.  "Upgrading" to NT from 95 is
also very painful and costly.