Linux-Networking Digest #726, Volume #11         Wed, 30 Jun 99 03:13:58 EDT

Contents:
  PPP won't compress - regardless of options... ("Eric Livingston")
  Re: Swap over NFS (Gary Helbig)
  Re: Preventing inbound packets w/ ipfwadm ("George Georgakis")
  Re: WinGate proxy server (Akira)
  Re: Linux windozeNT network problem ("Andrey Smirnov")
  Re: WinGate proxy server (Akira)
  Re: NFS writes hang: client on 100MB, server on 10MB segment (Vidar Andresen)
  Re: Why not C++ (Josh Stern)
  When is TurboLinux 3.6 Coming? (TurboTex)
  Re: Add user problem ("Ricky J. Sethi")
  HELP!How to get TokenRing and Ether 2gether!!! (Cyborg)
  Re: Banner after print job. (Stuart R. Fuller)
  Re: NFS writes hang: client on 100MB, server on 10MB segment (Peter Mutsaers)
  Re: Can't get Newsgroups with Netscape under Linux ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: PPP won't compress - regardless of options... (Bill Unruh)
  Re: Connecting to ISP ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Proxim Symphony ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Banner after print job. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Control bandwidth using of FTP?? (Tony Chen)
  Re: phoneline/wireless networking drivers ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  !connecting to Netware LAN using Linux ("[EMAIL PROTECTED]")
  Re: Proxim Symphony ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Home networking for Linux (Joerg Honerla)
  Re: DHCP Daemon.. ?? ("YouDontKnowWho")
  nic driver settings (Scott Prince)
  Re: Can't Telnet ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Network Card Won't Start on Bootup!! (Richard T)

From: "Eric Livingston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.protocols.ppp,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config,redhat.networking.general
Subject: PPP won't compress - regardless of options...
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:38:11 -0400

I'm trying to establish a connection between two machines, one running pppd
2.3.5 and the other 2.3.7, and regardless of my using "bsdcomp x,x" and
"deflate x,x" options (or both simultaneously), pppstats (and /proc/net/dev)
report that I'm getting zero compression.

I've properly aliased ppp-compress-21,24, and 26, and lsmod reports that
both ppp_deflate and bsd_comp are loaded and used by 1 process... yet
there's not active compression taking place!!!

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Eric

------------------------------

From: Gary Helbig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Swap over NFS
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:40:22 -0700

Hi,

        Correct me if I'm wrong, but....  I don't think it can be done.

        Swap is not a file system.  I haven't tried it recently, but I'm pretty
darn sure that fsck would choke on a swap partition.

        And if it's not a file system, NFS can't deal with it.

        Gary.

------------------------------

From: "George Georgakis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Preventing inbound packets w/ ipfwadm
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 01:38:46 GMT

Yes, that's correct. You can do ipfwadm -I -l to list all incoming traffic
rules while you test.

George

John Wolanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in article
<01bec279$24779280$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

From: Akira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: WinGate proxy server
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 02:53:33 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a small network consisting of mainly windows machines,
>
> One win98 box runs WinGate, a proxy server.
>
> I can access the internet useing netscape (set up access proxy server)
> on the linux box, how ever i can't use things such as ping, telnet etc.
>
> Pls. advise upon setting up the gateway so that the linux box will go
> through wingate all the time.
>
> Thanks for any help, Pls. reply to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Kev

You can't ping through wingate in Win98 either. The only way is to use the
Wingate client (which doesn't exist for Linux). That's never worked for me
though. To telnet out, you have to telnet to the wingate box and then type
in the domain/ip of your destination. FTP is similar. Check your
documentation.

------------------------------

From: "Andrey Smirnov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux windozeNT network problem
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 20:37:35 -0700

Name resolution to IP address has nothing to do with samba. Do you have
these machines setup in your DNS ot /etc/hosts?

Good luck!

------------------------------

From: Akira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 02:53:04 GMT

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vidar Andresen)
Subject: Re: NFS writes hang: client on 100MB, server on 10MB segment
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:12:34 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Vidar Andresen) wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>Peter Mutsaers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>A little while ago I reported that a Linux client hangs after it has
>>written several kilobytes to a NFS server (Solaris, SGI).
>
>Was there a patch for solaris.. dont remember.

Seen trough my news 'spool'.

Deep shit. Search for 'solaris' in subject and 'patch' in body.

    From: Marv Nachatelo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
    Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.development.system
    Subject: NFS and Solaris
    Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 19:12:06 -0400

This maybee. And other.

>>So, apparently this is a known problem with the 2.2.x kernels?
>
>Dont know that part..

It is. See the above mentioned posting.

Mvh Vidar Andresen

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Why not C++
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Josh Stern)
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 03:15:25 GMT

Greg Comeau <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>>If I'm using a C library, my program might have to say:

>>some_function( &x );
>>
>>so, when debugging, I know right there that I can't assume x won't be
>>altered. The same thing in C++ would be:
>>
>>some_function( x );
>>
>>but I don't know whether I'm passing by value or by reference or const
>>by reference. I have to go and find the header, then look through it to
>>find the prototype for that function. It would be useful if there were a
>>syntax difference.

>The above is flawed, because in both examples you need to go and find
>the header, and in both examples you then need to look through it to find
>the prototype for that function, so the above is a misguided argument.
>In both examples it would be useful if there were a syntax difference.
>Neither (x) nor (&x) is sufficient in either C or C++ from this perspective.

>It's more that a development time issue.  Anyway, it's doubtful anything
>about it is changing, so we'll need to settle on good support tools to help
>out with this, and more.

How about if we just ask the programmer to use some common sense
and call the non-const version of the function

void
getSomethingsValue(T& x)  ?

Then if you see

getSomethingsValue(x);

in a function definition, it is pretty obvious that it is not being
called to return a value, and the function name is a very strong
hint that it is not being called to set another value.

- Josh

------------------------------

From: TurboTex <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: When is TurboLinux 3.6 Coming?
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:55:49 -0500

        Does anyone know.???
--
                     ----

       M.H. Collins             < LINUX: The Official OS >
         ******                 < for the New Millennium >
 Powered by TurboLinux 3.4       http://www.linuxlink.com
     Driven by XFCE2             http://www.austinlug.org

------------------------------

From: "Ricky J. Sethi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Add user problem
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 21:05:32 -0700

Hi,

You might not be root... if you don't have permissions, then it'll complain
similarly.  Try loggin in as root or sudo'ing over first...

Adios,

Rick.

news:7lamtj$i2p$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

Subject: HELP!How to get TokenRing and Ether 2gether!!!
From: Cyborg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:06:41 GMT

 Hi!!!I need some help!!!I'm trying to get a Linux Box, REDHAT 6.0, Kernel
2.2.5, to run two NIC's. One, which is a Token Ring is working real goo.
This card is linked to the Co. Netwk. I can hit the Internet and
everything.(IBM Token Ring)
The other NIC is 3Com 595 Ethernet, the problem comes when I boot up, it
show me "FAILED". I setup the card in linxconfg but still does not work.
HELP ME!!!
Thank YOU!!!
CyBorg.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stuart R. Fuller)
Subject: Re: Banner after print job.
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:00:05 GMT

Tozz ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Hello,
:
: When I print something to my HP LaserJet 4000 TN, I get a banner page after
: each print job when I send a print job to my linux box.
:
: If I print to the printer on my NT Terminal server, everything works fine,
: so it's linux who adds the banner.
:
: I tred some things in the PRINTCAP file, like :sh: etc, etc.. but they
: didn't wokr

Banners that appear AFTER the print job are added by the printer.  Banners
that appear BEFORE the print job are added by lpr.

Are you using lpd to print to the printer from Linux, and some other protocol
from NT?  If so, then the printer likely has banner printing enabled on the
lpd protocol.

        Stu

------------------------------

From: Peter Mutsaers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 30 Jun 1999 07:00:00 +0200

>> "VA" == Vidar Andresen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

    >> Is there any way to make NFS writing work in this situation? I realy
    >> need to be able to read and write to our NFS servers, and our client
    >> segments really are 100MB.

    VA> Is there any help in reducing the read & write size?  Down to 2048 (or
    VA> even 1024) may help.

    VA> (What is your setting?  I belive solaris default to 8kb, is there any
    VA> sense in fiddling with that side, dont know.)

I already tried every setting I can thing of, even with
rsize=128,wsize=128.

Also, slow performance is not my worry (yet), first I'm just trying to
get it to work at all. But whatever I try, a write on the NFS server
hangs after several kilobytes.

Someone mentioned it might be a full-duplex problem w.r.t. the
ethernet card (Thunderlan 100TX), but OTOH FTP transfers from the
Linux client to the 10MB/s segment work fine. Anyway I'll give it a
try to set it to half-duplex.

--
Peter Mutsaers |  Abcoude (Utrecht), | Trust me, I know
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  |  the Netherlands    | what I'm doing.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can't get Newsgroups with Netscape under Linux
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:42:21 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  COMPUTERCRAFT <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm using Netscape under Redhat LINUX.
>
> I can't get the newsgroups to load from the server when I hit the
> SUBSCRIBE GET NEWSGROUPS buttons.
>
> Using Netscape under WINDOWS 95 with the same ISP account gives me no
> problem.
>
> Strangley enough, the newsgroups loaded the first time I ran Netscape
> under LInux, but I;ve not been able to get it to work again - after
many
> tries.
>
> The lights flash on the modem - as if it's trying to get something.
>
> The MAIL and NAVIGATOR portions of Netscape are working OK under
Linux.

> --
>
> COMPUTERCRAFT
> PC Tech Secrets Revealed!
> http://www.computercraft.com

this does not seem like a linux-problem to me -
you can connect, you see your isp's newsserver and cant subscribe?
kinda strange -
i would reinstall netscape, maybe some part of the messenger-module not
working-
( after making sure theres nothing wrong on your isps side)
btw, any error-messages?
anything in /var/log/messages(warnings,etc)?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Crossposted-To:
comp.protocols.ppp,linux.redhat.misc,redhat.config,redhat.networking.general
Subject: Re: PPP won't compress - regardless of options...
Date: 30 Jun 1999 06:02:33 GMT

In <hwee3.16482$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Eric Livingston"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>I'm trying to establish a connection between two machines, one running pppd
>2.3.5 and the other 2.3.7, and regardless of my using "bsdcomp x,x" and
>"deflate x,x" options (or both simultaneously), pppstats (and /proc/net/dev)
>report that I'm getting zero compression.

So what? Your modem compresses. You do not need ppp to compress. Just
make sure that your modem to computer speed is high enough (115200) and
you should notice only minimal gains from ppp compression.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Connecting to ISP
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:27:34 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> --------------897C7D194D2495105C209491
>
> Very new to Linux (Red Hat 5.0) (but old hand with UNIX). I got a
modem
> to dial-out to my ISP using minicom, but after entering userid and
> password, nothing but heiroglyphics, then "NO CARRIER." Any
suggestions
> would be greatly appreciated.
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

this is kind of 'generic' since i don't know ANYthing about your isp
etc...
there are some kind of 'wizards' to help you set up your ppp-connection,
i got to using kppp myself.
i remember there was tool on sun.edu, called pppconfig or something (
hunt the newsgroup)
you CAN write some scripts though yourself, like ppp-up and ppp-down,
plus some cf files in /etc/ppp ( like pap-secret and so on)
you will need to have a lot of information about your isp, among the
most urgent is ,what authentication do they use- pap or chap or what...
and of course ( but you know that) read the ppp-howto

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Proxim Symphony
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:16:30 GMT

On Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:33:46 GMT, Albert C. Lee
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>In article <37784e1a.1638235@news-server>,
>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>> The Proxim Symphony wireless lan product seems very interesting.  Has
>> anyone successfully used it in an environment consisting of cable
>> modem, Windows98, NT, and Linux ?
>>
>> I really like the idea of a wireless LAN, and Proxim seems to be the
>> only one on the block with support for both NT and Linux, but I don't
>> know how really good their products are, so please share your
>> experience.
>
>Hi Dan,
>
>Last night I installed a Proxim Symphony network with a 3Com LAN
>modem/router -- it's basically the same setup you would use except my
>bandwidth is shared on a 56k modem vs. your cable modem.
>
>I have a Gateway 2000 (Win98) on the 3rd floor with a regular NIC, and I
>have that connected to the hub/router.  I put in a Proxim Symphony
>Ethernet Bridge ($399) and attached that also to the hub.  On my laptop,
>I installed the Proxim Symphony PC Card ($199).

Hi Albert,

Does one really need the Ethernet Bridge?  It's pretty pricey.  I
figure, what's the real difference between using a Modem and a Cable
Modem?  Why would one need an Ethernet Bridge if one is using a Cable
Modem?  An Ethernet Hub perhaps, but why the bridge?

Thanks a bunch...

Dan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:36:46 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Rich Sena ras*at*tiac.net" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Actually defining :sh: in the printcap *should* do it - but it does
not...
> - the only thing that I can think of - is because redhat's printool is
> redirecting to a filter file with an if (input filter)
> statement :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp/filter: *and* since in the
> man page and HOWTO it is specifying :sh: as the final argument in the
> entry - it is ignoring it...  don't know if that floats - I played
with
> positioning it before and after the filter redirections tyo no avail -
it
> may need to be defined in that actual filter itself...

hi guys,

someone pointed it out already, i'm just a repeater:
( let me tell you, it worked for me!!)
if the page comes AFTER the printjob, this is from the printer(box,
maybe) NOT from the spooler!!!
so telnet to your printer(box) and look at the configuration.
btw, what puzzled me, the same printer did NOT print any extra pages
when printing from winnt.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Tony Chen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Control bandwidth using of FTP??
Date: 30 Jun 1999 05:45:21 GMT

Good afternoon,

There is a software named 'ProFTPD' which can control the bandwidth
using of FTP. Does anyone know more about it? i.e. Is it installed on
gateway or host? Where can I find details about this software? Thanks in
advance!!

--

** Tony Chen (³¯ªF­Z)

Knowles Electronics Taiwan, Ltd.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: phoneline/wireless networking drivers
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 06:18:04 GMT

What's its name?  I cannot find it at proxim.com/symphony.

Thanks.

Dan

------------------------------

From: "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.netware.misc
Subject: !connecting to Netware LAN using Linux
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:58:36 -0700

I am very new to linux and was wondering how do i connect to a Netware
LAn Server using Red Hat Linux and the DHCP protocol?
if there are any SIMPLE documentations that a newbie like me would
understand please send the links
thanks

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 04:33:21 GMT

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999 22:34:05 -0700, "Andrey Smirnov"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Proxim is NOT the only one company supporting multiple OS in wireless
>networking. For example, there is company RadioLan (http://www.radiolan.com)
>that supports any platform.
>
>I use both of these vendors in my network, they work great regardless of OS.

Do you have the prices on RadioLan's solutions?  Their website does
not list any prices. Thanks

Neil

------------------------------

From: Joerg Honerla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.networking.misc,comp.os.ms-windows.networking.tcp-ip,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.networking,de.comp.os.unix.networking,fr.network.divers,memphis.networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,redhat.networkin
Subject: Re: Home networking for Linux
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 08:44:01 +0200

Verheijen wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I want to buy two network cards to connect my home computers.
> I think 10Mb will be fast enough.
> What is a cheap and 100% supported card for Linux?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Wouter Verheijen
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have good success with a lot of card which have the Realtek 8029 chip
onboard. They all NE2000 compatible.

--
Dr.-Ing. Joerg Honerla              Bismarckst. 81
Gerhard-Mercator-University         D-47048 Duisburg, Germany

------------------------------

From: "YouDontKnowWho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: DHCP Daemon.. ??
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 22:06:00 GMT

Have you tried killing it and then running it again?
(/usr/sbin/dhcpd).

--
And now we return to our regularly scheduled,
uncommonly entertaining thread...

------------------------------

From: Scott Prince <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: nic driver settings
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 00:16:29 -0500

I have a pro120b ethernet card that linux rh5.2 refuses to recognize. I
am going to try a newer version of the tulip driver, but I'm wondering
if the i/o setting may also be wrong. Windoze98 lists the i/o as 6100,
which doesn't look like any of the examples that I have seen.

How would I go about getting the proper setting?

Thanks,
Scott

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Can't Telnet
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 05:50:14 GMT

  Same thing happens from the windows to the linux.
Ay
> >suggestions??

first thing to check, afaik, is if telnet is enabled on the linux-box (
hosts.allow)
you can check by doing a telnet(linuxbox) on a console(xterm) of the
linuxbox.
if you get something like'connection refused by peer' read man
hosts.allow

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Richard T <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Network Card Won't Start on Bootup!!
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 06:11:07 GMT

Well after about 2 gallons of coffee, 2 temper tantrums and a loss of
hair I *FINALLY* managed to upgrade to 6.0 and get EVERYTHING TO
WORK!!!! *BUT*

It seems that my 2nd network card doesn't want to load automatically ..
I need to go into linuxconf and tell it to 'activate changes' and then
it loads JUST FINE, and my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file (which has all my
ipchains command) won't self-load (might be a problem that it won't load
because it cannot find eth1 ..), I need to type  :

source = rc.local

to get the blasted thing to work! .. which it does JUST FINE

Indeed the "Active at boot" is selected (my eth0 boots just fine), and
the card works when I tell it to boot manually!!

HELP ME! .. OBI-WAN you are my only hope! =)

Thanks folks, and PLEASE email me directly on this!

Cheers

Richard

[EMAIL PROTECTED]