Linux-Networking Digest #994, Volume #11         Sat, 24 Jul 99 15:13:34 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Red Hat 6.0 HomeNet (X-Man)
  trouble with ftpd (Nick Kew)
  Re: Dual EtherNet cards (X-Man)
  Re: cable modem and network hub.. (Ed Wilts)
  RH 6.0 blanks screen when setting up "X" (Joe Loucka)
  Re: Cannot use IPX over PPP between Linux hosts (Clifford Kite)
  Re: DSL and Linux (Ed Wilts)
  Re: samba and win98 reg hack (X-Man)
  Re: Another problem with multiple NICS (Ed Wilts)
  Re: High Speed Serial Cards. ("Jason")
  Need help setting up AMD map to automount CDROM and floppy (Warren Bell)
  Re: DSL and Linux ("SWBell")
  NT - Linux Newbie ("Ayokunle Giwa")
  weird ping (Daniele Vian)
  modem : USR 28.8 Fax Modem, script fails ("mikes")
  Re: pppd: .../dialup.sh: No such file or directory (Clifford Kite)
  Re: Modem hangs up after 36 secs when I use a PPP connection with my ISP (Clifford
Kite)
  rnews & gunbatch ("Robert J. Clay")
  Re: compuserve ISP dialup script (Clifford Kite)
  Re: Slow Internet, but have cable..  Help! Please (Mark Hahn)
  Re: Mounting NTFS or FAT shares (Michael Haag)
  Re: unwritable shared folder ("mikes")
  Re: Block specific IP with ipchains? (William Zandvliet)
  Re: multiple gateways (Luca Filipozzi)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (X-Man)
Subject: Re: Red Hat 6.0 HomeNet
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:23:51 GMT

        Make sure you have set the WORKGROUP string in /etc/smb.conf
set the same as you have on your win 9x box. You can change the server
string name if you wish but the  WORKGROUP string is the important
one. Read the man pages  for smb.conf for other tweaks as well.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Kew)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: trouble with ftpd
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:41:21 +0000

I have one of those inexplicable problems.

I have a server (at 193.82.129.78 - until the Internic finally propagate
my domain updates) - which *should* permit anonymous FTP.

Now, if I use plain-old-ftp, all is fine:

  ftp 193.82.129.78
  Connected to 193.82.129.78.
  220 midgard.webthing.com FTP server (Version wu-2.4.2-VR16(1) Sun May 9 20:10:03 CDT
1999) ready.
  Name (193.82.129.78:nick): anonymous
  331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
  Password:
  230-Welcome to the anonymous FTP server at midgard.webthing.com.
  230-Please note that your use of this service is logged.
  230-
  230-
  230-
  230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
  Remote system type is UNIX.
  Using binary mode to transfer files.

But from Netscape - or from Demon's batchftp, it won't connect.  Here's
what the log has to say:

  Jul 24 15:34:38 midgard wu.ftpd[14134]: connect from [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Jul 24 15:34:42 midgard ftpd[14134]: ANONYMOUS FTP LOGIN FROM nick @
hyperlens.demon.co.uk [212.228.207.125], mozilla@
  Jul 24 15:34:45 midgard ftpd[14134]: FTP session closed

and:

  Jul 22 15:11:24 midgard ftpd[11274]: ANONYMOUS FTP LOGIN FROM finch-01.www-cache
.demon.co.uk [195.11.50.201], [EMAIL PROTECTED]
  Jul 22 15:13:25 midgard ftpd[11274]: FTP session closed

Anyone seen this?  Any clues?

--
Nick Kew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (X-Man)
Subject: Re: Dual EtherNet cards
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:36:41 GMT

On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 06:34:48 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

[snip]

        I have almost the same prob. A cable modem , a RH5.2 system (
gateway/firewall ) and a win98 pc. I wanted to use RH6 but found that
a change from using ipfwadm to ipchains ruined the help I was getting
from a friend ( who has the same setup except larger ). I decided to
stick with 5.2 since he knew that system better and I didn't want to
mess around forever trying to get it to work properly.

------------------------------

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: cable modem and network hub..
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:27:03 GMT

Eric Pearson wrote:

> I had a question, does Roadrunner offer static IP's?  And with Roadrunner,
> do you have to masquerade or can you use more than one IP at a time?

That depends.  RoadRunner seems to be different in different cities.  In
some cases, they're one-directional (cable to you, but async back); in
other cases they're bi-directional.  In some cases you run dhcpd, in
others you don't.

In my city, I'm using a one-directional cable modem (SurfBoard 1200)
with a 33.6kbps async modem back.  Static IPs are not available.

I'm masquerading and using my Windows system and Linux systems at the
same time, with the Linux system acting as a firewall.  What's weird is
that the modem is also masquerading, so I start in the 10.0.0.0 net
internally, go to the 192.168.0.0 unrouted net to the modem, and then
re-masq'd again to the real address.

You can check http://www.cablemodeminfo.com/LinuxCableModem.html for
some reference sites.

--
Ed Wilts
Mounds View, MN, USA

------------------------------

From: Joe Loucka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: RH 6.0 blanks screen when setting up "X"
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 16:03:42 -0500

I have a Toshiba, Teccra 8000 with a Nokia 446x monitor. When installing
Linux , it will blank out the screen (Screen saver mode) no matter what
I choose for X11 monitor/adpater.  Does anyone have this combination
running on RedHat 6.0?

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Crossposted-To: comp.protocols.ppp,linux.redhat.ppp
Subject: Re: Cannot use IPX over PPP between Linux hosts
Date: 24 Jul 1999 10:44:34 -0500

Jurrien ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: I've some strange problems with configuering IPX over a PPP connection
: between two Linux hosts. This is the situation:

Here's a link that might help:

http://www.tartu.customs.ee/linux/index.shtml

It addresses at least one 2.0.x kernel IPX problem.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* I gave up on politics when no matter who I voted for, I regretted it.

------------------------------

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DSL and Linux
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:40:25 GMT

Albert Goins wrote:

> I am having DSL put in my place and have three computers to hook up.  I
> was wondering if anyone can tell me what kind of hub and ethernet cards
> to buy to hook them all up.  I am looking for affordability, and
> compatability with both Win98 and Linux.  If you could tell me where to
> purchase them that would be great too.  Thanks!

You're going to have a bunch of opinions, and most likely all of them
are going to be right.  You'll have to decide what's most important to
you.

I've gone with PCI NICs from Trendware.  I picked them for $18.99 each
from http://www.nanosys1.com.  Since you're posting from umn.edu, you
should be able to head over there and pick them up yourself.  They're
located on University.  It's a good place to know - I purchased my
system there and know of 2 other people that also did, plus another
couple that have gone for parts there.  I haven't tried their NICs in a
PC, but the card does include PC drivers. Gawd knows they can't be worse
than the Netgear cards I bought before I found out about General
Nanosystems.  The Trendware cards are nicely detected by Redhat using
the NE2000 drivers and they're working like a charm.

My hub happens to be a Netgear combination 4-port hub and parallel-port
printserver.  They run about $100.  This allows me to hang the printer
off of it and access it from all my systems at the same time.  It's not
perfect, but good enough for my house.  You can get a Trendware 5-port
from General Nanosystems for about $30.

For your 3 computers, you'll need 2 NICs in your firewall, plus 1 in
each of the other 2 systems, for 4 total.  Add in a cheap hub, and
you'll be out $113 including taxes.  That's a pretty decent price for
your network!

Cheers,
        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts
Mounds View, MN, USA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (X-Man)
Subject: Re: samba and win98 reg hack
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 15:56:16 GMT

On Thu, 01 Jul 1999 23:28:20 GMT, Bill Pitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

using regedit, add the following DWORD and then modify the value to 1

/HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/VxD/VNETSUP/Enable
PlainTextPassword          <------ all one word -

Choose new DWORD under the EDIT menu. after its created, highlight it
then under the EDIT menu again choose MODIFY and change the value to
1. this in fo is diocumented in the Win95.txt file in the SAMBA folder
on your Linux box.

------------------------------

From: Ed Wilts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another problem with multiple NICS
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:54:18 GMT

Charles Stack wrote:

> Now, I'm working on getting DHCP and IP Mascarade running.  The only
> real trick here will be understanding ipchains vs ipwadm.

Have a look at the Linux Administrators Security Guide if you haven't
already.  It's a large online freely available document at
http://www.seifried.org/lasg

The lasg goes through a bunch of configurations, and shows examples for
both ipchains and ipfwadm.

Cheers,
        .../Ed
--
Ed Wilts
Mounds View, MN, USA

------------------------------

From: "Jason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]\\>
Subject: Re: High Speed Serial Cards.
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 09:12:05 -0600

bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7n4td3$2vvo$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <7n4jn9$2i00$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Jason <[EMAIL PROTECTED]\\> wrote:
> | I was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting a TurboExpress
Turbocom
> | or similar ISA PNP serial card to work under linux. I can get as far as
> | isapnp telling me that it has configured the card right, but setserial
won't
> | have anything to do with it.  It states something to the effect of
"Illegal
> | UART type: 16750"
>
> I have the feeling that there is a problem with this UART type and
> that's why it is rejected. If you are feeling *very* brave you can use
> the 'uart' option in setserial to force the type to 16550. Do not blame
> me if this leads to system problems, lying to drivers is done at your
> own risk.
>
> Is the 750 a 1k incoming 128 byte outgoing or something? I should
> remember but I don't...
>
> --
> bill davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc
Bill,
    Heh.. well... I tried telling setserial that the card had every UART in
the book, no resualts positive or negitive.   Starting to get a bit
frustrated...but this is linux, t'is to be expected I guess... nothing can
be easy.  Hope someone out there can give me some insight...

-J

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 08:39:18 -0700
From: Warren Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Need help setting up AMD map to automount CDROM and floppy

I've been searching everywhere to find out how to set up amd automount
for my local machine but can only find complex examples of network
systems.  What I'm trying to do is have amd running and whenever I need
to mount my cdrom, floppy or msdos partition (on the same drive) it will
automatically be mounted, then unmounted after a certain amount of
inactivity.

I'm using Redhat 5.2.  I've tried autofs but don't like the way it
works.  Can someone help me out with the amd.conf and the map to get
this working?  I would like to have all my mounts under the /mnt
directory.  (/mnt/cdrom, /mnt/floppy) Then when somthing accesses it, or
is entered with a file manager, it will automatically mount. I know it's
got to be simple for what I'm trying to do, I just cant find the info
anywhere.

If someone could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Warren Bell

------------------------------

From: "SWBell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 12:33:29 -0500

The D-link DE-528CT 10Mbps cards work great for me

that ones are automatically detected by Linux red hat 6.0

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: "Ayokunle Giwa" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: NT - Linux Newbie
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 15:02:54 -0700

I have an NT 4.0 server PDC and a Linux server and I cant get them to ping
each other.
In network neighborhood I can see the linux box but cant browse it.
Id appreciate some help TIA
Ayokunle Giwa

------------------------------

From: Daniele Vian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: weird ping
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 13:42:23 -0400

Hi all,

I can't ping -s 55 localhost or to any other host... Any other packet
sizes would work, but not 55 bytes! MOreover, doing ping -R localhost,
the answer is
RR: localhost (127.0.0.1)
        localhost (127.0.0.1)
        localhost (127.0.0.1)
        localhost (127.0.0.1)
why 4 entries and not 2 (just one hop)??? My routing table is very
basic, only the entries for localhost and the default gateway, that's
it.
I'm running Linux 2.2.7 (redhat6) on two machines (128.197.22.24 netmask
255.255.255.128 and 128.197.22.150 netmask 255.255.255.128 - so in two
different subnets) connected via a 3com 35000 router.
I have a lot of problems with other programs, and I guess that this
weird behavior might be the reason.
Anyone has an explanation to this fact?

Thank you very much,

daniele

   Daniele Vian                             /}/}
                                 ,         / / }
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]                  \\   .-=.( (   }
                                  \'--"   `\\_.---,='
                                   '-, \__/        \___
140 Bay State Road,                 .-'.-.'       \___.'
 02215 Boston MA                   / // /-..___,-`--'
                                   `" `"

From: "mikes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: modem : USR 28.8 Fax Modem, script fails
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 12:06:40 -0500

I have a USR 28800 (external) Fax Modem with V.34 and V.32 bis. While
connecting, and tail -f /var/log/messages, I get:

send (ATDT (my ISP's phone number here))
expect (CONNECT)
^M
alarm
Connect script failed
Failed
Exit

I hear the modem dialling in, go silent, and about 10 seconds later I get
the failure. Being that this is an external modem, I tried configuring it
with USR's http://www.usr.com/modem/documents/10563.htm None of this seemed
to make a difference. Any suggestions for a configuration?

Presently I have the dip switches configured as:

1 DTR normal
2 Verbal Result Codes
3 Display Result Codes
4 Echo offline commands
5 Auto answer off
6 Carrier detect normal
7 Load NVRAM defaults
8 Smart mode

I have tried init strings, but did get anywhere with those either. I'm using
RH6.0 kernel 2.2.5-15, and using Linuxconf to do my configurations.

Thanks in advance,
-Mike

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: pppd: .../dialup.sh: No such file or directory
Date: 24 Jul 1999 11:10:13 -0500

Alec Parker ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: After a reinstallation of my Linux OS from the scratch (I use SusE 6.1), I
: fail in establishing a ppp connection to my internet provider.

: pppd tells me that it cannot find the script dialup.sh - I checked about
: sixty five billion times - I spelled path and filename correctly
: in /etc/ppp/options and all users have read and execute permission for the
: script and all its parent folders.

: What did I forget?

Maybe dialup.sh is trying to execute something that is missing or lacks
a full path name.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* 97.3% of all statistics are made up. */

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: Modem hangs up after 36 secs when I use a PPP connection with my ISP
Date: 24 Jul 1999 11:40:03 -0500

G. Robberechts ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: When I set up a ppp connection with my ISP after 36 seconds
: my modem (56Kbits/sec US Robotics external modem) hangs up:
: I've got the debugging facility put on and the output of
: /var/log/messages is:
: expect (CONNECT)
: Jul 23 20:14:13 localhost chat[995]: ^M
: Jul 23 20:14:33 localhost chat[995]: ATDT889998^M^M
: Jul 23 20:14:33 localhost chat[995]: CONNECT
: Jul 23 20:14:33 localhost chat[995]:  -- got it
: Jul 23 20:14:33 localhost chat[995]: send (^M)
: Jul 23 20:14:33 localhost pppd[993]: Serial connection established.
: Jul 23 20:14:33 localhost pppd[993]: Using interface ppp0
: Jul 23 20:14:33 localhost pppd[993]: Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
: Jul 23 20:15:04 localhost pppd[993]: LCP: timeout sending
: Config-Requests

This is very likely caused by the chat script not providing the ISP what
it needs to start PPP there and the ISP is instead presenting a menu or
text prompt.  The PPP-HOW to lists some other less likely things.

An easy thing to try is to replace the   CONNECT ''  in your chat
expect/send script with   CONNECT '\d\c'  if the script expect/sends
are chat arguments, or by   CONNECT \d\c  if the script is in a file
defined by the -f chat option.  These forms insert a second of delay and,
more important, supress a carriage return that is sent (the "send (^M) in
the log) and can confuse an ISP.

Otherwise we'll need to see the chat execution script and the chat
expect/send script.

From: "Robert J. Clay" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.admin
Subject: rnews & gunbatch
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 18:18:09 GMT

   I have a news feed over a uucp via tcp link, & I'm having a problem
with it;  specifically, the new articles are not being posted to my news

server (inn).

    I have no problem with email coming in via the uucp link, but the
news articles just seem to be disapearing into a black hole.  Tried
running rnews manually on one of the incoming files (as uucp) & found
the following errors:

decode:  bad data
gzip:  stdin:  unexpected end of file

The files are coming in with the "#!gunbatch" at the beginning of the
file.    Note also that I had to create the gunbatch file, as it wasn't
installed (Debian Linux v2.1).  I created it from the c7unbatch file,
changing only the
"/usr/bin/compress -d" to "/bin/gzip -d".    Also had to put the full
path in for both decode & gzip...

   Where could the problem be?  And what is "decode" used for?
Couldn't find a man page for it...

--
Robert J. Clay
[EMAIL PROTECTED], http://members.home.net/rjclay

------------------------------

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: compuserve ISP dialup script
Date: 24 Jul 1999 13:30:41 -0500

Bruce Edge ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
: Are there any "standard" chat type scripts which will work with
: compuserve?
: I had to use a dip script as it's the only dialup type utility I found
: which can change baud rates half way through.
: However, since dip can't take arguments, you can't pass a number to dial
: to it, so for every location I have to have a different copy of the
: script.

Here is an old post that doesn't seem concerned about connection parity.
You don't seem to be getting a response so hopefully this is better
than nothing.  If you _really_ need to account for parity I can probably
suggest a couple of things.  But I was able to connect to a 7E1 system
once without bothering to change parity.

From: [Address Deleted] (Ralph W. Crane)
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.networking
Subject: Re: compuserve dial-in script?
Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:53:23 -0500

On Wed, 24 Feb 1999 14:17:45 GMT,
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've been trying to make a ppp-on script to dial in Compuserve's system. So
>far I managed to get this done, buy dialing in (successfuly) manualy:

<snip>

Hello:

I've answered this one before in one or more of these newsgroups, but here it
is again.  Below is the chat script I use to connect to compuserve:

REPORT CONNECT
ABORT 'NO'
ABORT 'BUSY'
ABORT 'ERROR'
'' AT
OK-AT-OK ATZ
OK-AT-OK ATDT<local CSI tel#>
CONNECT '\r'
ame: CIS
ID: <my CSI id>/GO:PPPCONNECT
word: <password>
PPP

The important part for you is the GO:PPPCONNECT on the ID line.  This form
allows you to do something ( in this case, start PPP connection) immediately
on login without having to wait for the initial messages, etc. compuserve
usually gives.  Of course you could use GO PPPCONNECT at the prompt after
getting logged in.

I orginally found out how to do this by reading some files in the UNIXFORUM
forum ( a little redundant huh :-) ).  Do a search on PPP.

Ralph

PS  I just did a search and found a recent file called RHCISPPP.TXT in
UNIXFORUM Library 4 which purports to tell exactly how to connect from
RedHat LINUX.  I haven't read it myself, so I don't know what it says.

[End old post]

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* Governments should be changed like diapers - often and for the

------------------------------

From: Mark Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slow Internet, but have cable..  Help! Please
Date: 24 Jul 1999 17:57:14 GMT

> My problem is, the speed at wich Mandrake makes the connection is
> obsurdly low (as in 1k/sec)...  Is there any easy way to fix this... I

often this is caused by MS's fucked up TCP implementation, which
basically barfs all over if you use decent-sized windows.  Linux _likes_
large windows, since that's the only way to get decent throughput
on a wan or lossy/highlatency/reordering link.  alas, MS's TCP stack
is implementing the state of the art circa 1987, when 8K windows were
pretty snazzy.  the following will tell your linux box to use
crippled windows when talking to a gateway named "gateway" that's
accessible on eth0:
         /sbin/route add -host gateway window 8192 eth0

------------------------------

From: Michael Haag <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Mounting NTFS or FAT shares
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 11:58:31 -0700

Michael Haag wrote:

> I currently have a network consisting of 2 NT servers and one Win95
> client, and one Linux stand-alone.  Eventually, I would like to run
> Linux as my primary server, but since I'm new to Linux I have much to
> learn before I make that leap.

I have since learned of an "smbfs" RPM and have installed that.  I now
get a response when issuing the "smbmount" command.  Nevertheless, I am
unable to connect to the NTFS share.  I recieve an "access denied"
error.  The response I get indicates correct username, host names, and
IP addresses, and my Linux username and password are identical to my NT
username and password.  I edited the "smb.conf" file to indicate the
correct NT domain (workgroup).  Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: "mikes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: unwritable shared folder
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 12:20:00 -0500

Heres what I have, hope it helps....

[shared]
    comment = Shared folder on Samba Server
    path = /home/shared
    valid users = user1 user2 user3
    public = no
    writable = yes
    printable = no
;    create mask = 765

userx = who ever you want to have access to the shared folder ex. joe_user

-Mike

------------------------------

From: William Zandvliet <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Block specific IP with ipchains?
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 20:57:26 +0200

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I am on a corporate network with 5 of my buddies
> running redhat 6.0.  At times someone will
> occasionally export DISPLAY=<my IP> and launch
> xsnow or xmelt or something.  I want to be able to
> block all traffic from their IP addressess while
> allowing me to contact them if necessary.  I have
> installed ipchains and used the following command
>
> ipchains -A input -s 90.14.153.5 -d 90.14.152.92
> -j DENY
>
> This will not allow connections from 90.14.153.5
> but it also prevents me from contacting that IP
> from my box.  I think because I am using one nic
> card instead of the traditional two cards and a
> dedicated firewall server it won't allow traffic
> like I want it to.  Is there a way to block
> connections from a specific IP while allowing
> connections to that IP with only one nic card?

This should get you started:

ipchains -A input -s 90.14.153.5  -d 90.14.152.92 0:1023 -j DENY
ipchains -A input -s 90.14.153.5  -d 90.14.152.92 5000:65535 -j DENY

alternatively, set default policy to reject or deny and use something
like this:

ipchains -A input  -p tcp ! -y -s 90.14.153.5 -d 90.14.152.92 -j ACCEPT

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Luca Filipozzi)
Subject: Re: multiple gateways
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 12:03:48 -0700

In article <7nb5c9$kum$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
says...
> route add default gw 1.2.3.4 dev eth0

you have two gateways... let's say they have these ip addresses
gw1: 192.168.1.1
gw2: 192.168.1.2

route add default gw 192.168.1.1 metric 1
route add default gw 192.168.1.2 metric 2

The metric option tells the TCP/IP stack that it's more "expensive" to
use the second route than the first since 2 is greater than 1.

If the first route fails, the TCP/IP stack will try the second route.

Hope this helps,

Luca
--
Luca Filipozzi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>