  Re: sendmail win98 (Villy Kruse)

From: "Smallman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
tw.bbs.comp.linux,alt.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.misc,comp.os.linux.questions,info.ncsa-telnet,hk.comp.os.linux,hk.comp.os.unix,hk.comp.pc,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: DHCP and never-expired leases
Date: Fri, 3 Sep 1999 14:10:40 +0800

Unless you will never upgrade or move client computers, don't set it to
unlimited, or you can't recover a lease to a DHCP client.

Chokky 撰寫於文章 <7qnaeq$lu7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 18:29:09 +0200
From: Johannes Ziegler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Upgrade problems with NFS

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hello,
>  I upgraded to SuSE 6.2 and now find my NFS server not responding as
> before. I cannot mount exported directories.
>
> The /etc/exports is untouched. The client is still the same, no change
> compared to pre upgrade state.
>
> It seems the nfsd is behaving different from the earlier version.
>
> I do not find any message in /var/log/messages or /var/log/warn.
>
> After a mount trial, I get the simple answer "Time Out".
>
> Thanks
> Karl

Are you sure, that the nfs servers starts properly on your box?
Maybe the update has changed the startup.
How does your exports file look like, now?
If you still have problems, send further details.

Best regards
Johannes Ziegler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Steve Cowles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using Samba to join an NT domain.
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 06:03:43 GMT

Brad,

At first, I thought your "security=domain" was the problem (never heard of that
security
option in Samba), but I decided to read the man pages along with the /usr/docs/samba
stuff
(before I replied) and discovered Samba actually does support this type of
authentication.
My Linux/Samba box was configured to for "security=server" along with "password
server=NetBios Name of domain controller". That combination has worked for over a year
with out any problems. All authentications went to my domain controller for "share
access"
to my linux box. Exactly as configured!

Anyway, I reconfigured Samba for the security=domain as described in
/usr/doc/samba-2.0.5a/docs/textdocs/DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt. and was able to execute the
smbclient example without any problems. In fact, I was also able to execute the
smbclient
example when Samba was configured for security=server. BTW: The on-line status DID
change
in server manager when I executed "smbpasswd -j DOMAIN - r PDC" only after I restarted
samba. (which makes since)

As for your question... you did not mention this in your post, but have you enabled
"encrypted passwords" in your smb.conf. I already had this option enabled in my
previous
configuration and left that setting "as is". In fact, that was mentioned in the
DOMAIN_MEMBER.txt as a prerequisite for accessing NT.

Hope the encrypted password setting fixes your problem
BTW: thanks for "teaching an old dog a new trick!!!" Guess I should start reading those
damn "release notes"

Steve Cowles
SWCowles at gte dot net

------------------------------

From: Bev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc,netscape.public.mozilla.java
Subject: Re: Netscape 4.6 + JAVA -> freezes
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 22:26:50 -0700

Nils Bluethgen wrote:

> Hello out there,
>
> I have a question about NETSCAPE 4.6 / 4.61 and  JAVA. On some (not on
> all!) of our computers (we run linux-RH6.0) Netscape freezes when I open
> the URL
>
> http://www.stadtplandienst.de/query;ORT=b;LL=13.420389x52.54105
>
> with JAVA enabled. Without JAVA there's no problem,
>
> I read about the wrong fontpath-settings, but this does
> not seem to be the problem, since chkfontpath --list prints:
>
> Current directories in font path:
> 1: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc
> 2: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled
> 3: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled
> 4: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1
> 5: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo
> 6: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi
> 7: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi
> 8: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic
> 9: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/mytype1
> 10: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/ttfonts
> 11: /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1
>
> I also upgraded to Netscape 4.61, which gave the same result. Has someone
> an idea?

No, but FWIW the page loads OK with the NS 4.51+java+javascript that
installed along with SuSE 6.1. MY problem is that the stupid
spellchecker freezes it!  Oh yeah, other random things freeze it too.

Nicer looking map than mapquest...

--
Cheers,
Bev

------------------------------

From: loc <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: mail server setup
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 06:28:38 GMT

hi...
i have a dedicated connection and decided it might be nice to add a mail
server. not as easy as i thought though... i have it to where i can send
mail out through sendmail, but, i can't receive mail. for instance, if my
server address was mail.whatever.com i can send out just fine, but, i
don't get any incoming mail for addresses like [EMAIL PROTECTED]

please help, any help is appreciated.

luke
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
==============
has anything you've done made your life better?

------------------------------

From: Bernd Zimmermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: 100base-Tx crossover cable, rtl8139 module options
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 08:50:57 +0200

I have exactly the same problem with your ethernet cards (level one and 3com)
using a level one 10/100 mbit hub. I also recocnized that the 3com runs
only at 10 mbit. Refering to the documentation of the hub it could be a
problem of slightly different implementations of the 100 mbit functionality.

I would appreciate if the problem could be solved...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter 猏rt)
Subject: Local DNS name
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 18:02:21 GMT

I cant get my Redhat 5.2 to recognize itself on the network.
The computer is the DNS and it can do a nslookup on itself but the
answer I get is

Nslookup <Computername>

Server <computername>
Adress : 0.0.0.0

Name : <computername>
Adress : 192.10.87.15

Why cant the computer get the ip adress for the server when the
computer I惴 doing a nslookup on is the server and it gets the ip for
the name ?

------------------------------

From: Gary Helbig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Need help:  POP/SMTP not working (RH5.2)
Date: Thu, 02 Sep 1999 22:43:39 -0700

Stuart,

I just did a set of similar tweaks to sendmail.cf, and now it works.

I've gotten into the habit of rebooting after making daemon
configuration changes.  I got burned really bad once making a slew of
changes, then finding out the system no longer booted.....

Thanks to all,
Gary.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Helge Maus)
Subject: Samba: Login prob with W95 login
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 06:51:46 GMT

Hi!

I use Samba 2.0.5 and it works fine.
But I have a little "problem", when I log in with my Win95 Client.
First the Win95 client ask me for my password and after that he tries
to log in into Samba.
I always get the message, that the Client can't find a Server wich can
verify my password. He warns me, that some services maybe won't work.
But then, everything is fine. I can find my Drives etc.

Who can help me with this problem?

Thanks a lot,

Helge

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.iPartner.de

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Helge Maus)
Subject: Squid and InternetExplorer Proxy prob.
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 06:58:00 GMT

Hi!

I have another problem with my network (1 Samba Server, Kernel 2.2.10)
and 15 Win'98 clients.

I use the Linux Server as gateway to the Internet. I use a Squid-proxy
and it work very good.

But with pages with frames, Squid often don't rember single files, so
I get only the frameset (with IE 4).
The Server won't dial in to synchronise the pages. I always have to
give a foreign URL, so the Server must dial in and then read the
framesite again.

Is there a better way?

Greetings,

Helge

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.iPartner.de

------------------------------

From: XonXoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: VPND error codes??
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 06:39:41 GMT

I've recently ran into a problem with vpnd.  What i have is 2 networks
connected via vpnd.  Recently vpnd broke and refuses to connect to the
other machine.  I have both machines set up to connect via sl0. Once
vpnd is up it creates these interfaces but I am unable to ping the
interfaces from thier respective machines also.  In the logs it gives me
the error codes 04 and 105.  Has anyone ever seen this?
TIA

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: Bernd Zimmermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: setting up fixed IP address
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:10:41 +0200

To be alble to connect to the outside world you have to set up a gateway
(enable routing on this gateway machine).
Next you have to set up the gateway address as default gateway in your
lan machine.
then it should work.

From: Bernd Zimmermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Samba & Win95 Network Neighborhood
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 08:59:20 +0200

I detected a similar behaviour. I have several pcs with win95/98 connected

to a linux server with samba.
from one specific win95 pc (in this case connected via remote access) I
can
not see the network ressources but I can use them. If there is any other
pc online in the lan I can see all ressources.

I think it could be a problem of different win95 releases (with the oldest
one it
I have the above described behaviour). At least I have enabled on each
win pc the printer sharing. Refering to a book this is necessary to enable

correct smb behaviour due to a missing funcionality of the samba server.:

------------------------------

From: Bernd Zimmermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: W98 can see samba share, but cannot see files
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:00:52 +0200

did you check user rights ? Do you connect all pcs with the same user ?

From: Bernd Zimmermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help!!! Nt and Linux networking
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:19:00 +0200

at least for win95/98 clients you have to enable at least one shared service
at each win PC to be able to use samba.
Sometimes a can not see the ressource but use them anyhow...
Enjoy.

------------------------------

From: "Oliver Lehm" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: PPPD and proxyarp
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 14:22:01 +0200

I have configured a ppp server with proxyarp option on linux 2.0.35 with
pppd 2.2 and it works very well.

But on Linux 2.2.10 and pppd 2.3.8 the arp entry is not completed. It look's
like this

>arp
Address                HWtype    HWaddress            Flags    IFace
192.168.26.118     ether        00:50:04:32:A6:1c     C        eth0
192.168.26.82        *                *                            MP
eth0

How can this occur?

Thank you in advance.

Hier some additional info's.

>route
Destination        Gateway        Genmask            Flags    Metric    Ref
Use    IFace
192.168.26.82        *                255.255.255.255    UH          0
0        0        ppp0
192.168.26.0          *                255.255.255.0       U             0
0        0        eth0
127.0.0.1               *                255.0.0.0              U
0        0        0        lo
default            192.168.26.100  0.0.0.0                  UG            0
0        0        eth0

>more /etc/ppp/options
lock
crtscts
:192.168.26.82
proxyarp
noipx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (F.Th.G. Heijmans)
Subject: Linux client in a NT-network
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 06:49:54 GMT

Hi,

Is it possible to connect a Linux client in a NT-network? If so, how
can I do that.

At my office we have a NT-network. I want to install Linux on my
laptop. If I can connect the two I can use my Laptop at work and at
home where I have a Linux network. I need the connection mainly for
printing on the network printers, but file access would also be nice.

I found info enough on windows clients on Linux servers, but not the
other way around.

Thanks for the help

regards,

Frank Heijmans

Replace the _AT_ by @ if you want to email

------------------------------

From: Bernd Zimmermann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: extra FF when printing with Samba
Date: Fri, 03 Sep 1999 09:14:48 +0200

to find out where the problem comes from you could send a ascii file to
your printer from the dos shell and look at a hex dump at your printer.

i dont know the printcap syntax by hard, but I guess you dissabled form
feed
after and before any print job ...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Villy Kruse)
Subject: Re: sendmail win98
Date: 3 Sep 1999 10:04:00 +0200

Doug Giddens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Try this-
>Put the name of each win98 machine in the /etc/hosts file with its ip.
>ie:
>"name of win98 machine"        "ip of win98 machine"
>Leave off the quotation marks

Im sure you meant the IP numbers on the left and the hostnames on the right.

for example:

127.0.0.1       localhost       localhost.localdomain

--
Villy