Linux-Networking Digest #519, Volume #12          Wed, 8 Sep 99 20:13:39 EDT

Contents:
  Using DHCP ("Chuck Hancock")
  Re: pppd and earthlink :-( ("mono")
  Good Documnet for setting up ADSL (=?EUC-KR?B?vNu787/4?=)
  Re: Have I been hacked? ("TURBO1010")
  Re: Browsers and Linux (John Thompson)
  Re: telnet program for win98 (John Thompson)
  Re: Two boxes connected to same hub (with cable modem), different subnet (Lorin
Hochstein)
  Re: DSL - Linux tools to check connection speed (Chris Salin)
  Re: Have I been hacked? (A Guy Called Tyketto)
  Re: Using DHCP (Clyde Davidson)
  SSH ("Nathan T. Lager")
  Re: ipchains -L -M question (mist)
  95 on Token Ring segment loses route to net??? (Dan Hill)
  Re: ppp connection (Clifford Kite)
  Re: SOHOWare Fast Auto 10/100 PCI -- Tulip ? (Paul Lew)
  HELP ME!!!! (Damian Hehir)
  Redhat Network Problem (Julia)
  how do i connect to remote server using a modem ("Hugues")
  WINS (NetBIOS Name Server) and Linux help (Farley 902)

From: "Chuck Hancock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Using DHCP
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 13:58:09 -0400

Has anyone had any experience using linux on Media One Road Runner - south
east region?

I can not get linux to get an IP.  I know my NIC is fine, because if I put
my windows machine and my linux machine on the same subnet I can ping back
and forth and I can telnet into my linux.

Media One claims it should work, but I have found a couple How To's that
claim Media One does not use a standard DHCP and has caused problems.

Any suggestions on where to go from here?  Anything else I shoud test?

-chuck

------------------------------

From: "mono" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.comp.linux.isp,alt.linux,alt.os.linux.redhat,linux.redhat.ppp
Subject: Re: pppd and earthlink :-(
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 10:35:52 -0700

ok...i don't use pppd to dial, well may i do--i am using KDE's kppp & i am
using Earthlink too--it works great!

some info to setup w/kppp:

   Domainname:      earthlink.net
   DNS address:     207.217.120.83
                             207.217.77.82

   (protocol:        PPP
   IP address:      dynamically assigned)

hope you can post usin' linux box  :)

------------------------------

From: =?EUC-KR?B?vNu787/4?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Good Documnet for setting up ADSL
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 22:17:20 GMT

Greetings,

My ISP started ADSL service, but they said Linux won't be supported
because they haven't tested on it.  ISP said Linux will be supported by
the end of October(hopefully), and I could try to install it myself if I
really wanted to.

If I want to do this by myself I'll have to spend $40 whether I succeed
or not since  there is no trial period. I was wondering if there is any
good document that I could look at; so that I could install it on my
Linux Box by myself.

>From Winnipeg,
Ben

------------------------------

From: "TURBO1010" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Have I been hacked?
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 15:08:32 -0700

Enlighten me, what are TCP/Wrappers?  I masquerade 2 machines behind my
linux, I can't have anything blocking them from getting on the net.

A Guy Called Tyketto <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:j_xB3.19470$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Browsers and Linux
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 16:09:13 -0600

Ernest wrote:

> To me it make sense to accept that my message (the reply) is most important.
> Like a letter - do I repeat the complete letter and then put my reply to it?
> No, I reply and then refer to sections in your letter. So, what goes on top is
> my reply. (The most important issue). What goes at the bottom is what I am
> refer to (Your question).

OK.

And what if there are several questions you are replying to
in a single message? Do you then type all your responses at
the top and expect your reader to keep referring back and
forth to the original questions at the bottom to figure out
what it is you're responding to in your answers?  Yuck!

It seems to me easier to handle each question separately;
quote the question first, then write your response, then
quote the next question, write your next response and so
on.

And no, you don't need to quote the entire original letter
in your response.  You edit out all but the specific issues
you are responding to, leaving only enough context as is
required to present the question in sensible and undistorted
terms.  You may also paraphrase, perhaps in square brackets,
to keep excessively verbosity under control  or recast
poorly written question in a more sensible and concise
light.  This was especially important in the old days of
usenet, when it was transported using uucp over dial-up
connections and pay-by-the-minute long distance charges.
Now that usenet is transported over the internet nobody
seems to give a rip about bandwidth concerns anymore, but
that's another issue entirely...

This seems to have been a "de facto" convention for as long
as I've been using usenet and BBS systems, going on 12 years
now...

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: telnet program for win98
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 16:12:39 -0600

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> does anyone know of a good telnet program for win98 that works as good
> as telnet from linux terminal. i can telnet in fine using start-run-
> telnet but when i bring up mc on the remote host several functions dont
> work. since i'm a newbie to linux, mc is very useful for configuring my
> linux server. thanks

Win9x includes a telnet client but it's nothing special.
Try Kermit95 from the kermit project at Columbia
University.  It's one of the best telnet clients available
on any platform.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Lorin Hochstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Two boxes connected to same hub (with cable modem), different subnet
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 19:13:47 -0400

I know I could go this way, but I'd prefer my current setup for the following
reasons:

1) I'm not "technically" permitted to do this by my cable company (I know, I
know, there's no way of them finding out, etc., but it's harder to get tech
support when you're doing stuff you're not supposed to. Not that they support
Linux anyway...)

2) I'd need an extra box and two extra NIC's. I realize I can use a dirt-cheap
box (486) and NIC's don't cost too much these days, but they aren't free.

3) My current setup is, well, already set up, and I'm kind of lazy.

I've heard that I can play with the static routing tables on the Linux box,
although I'd have to change them each time my address changed via DHCP.  I
just want my two boxes to talk to each other through the hub... :(

Lorin Hochstein

From: Chris Salin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: DSL - Linux tools to check connection speed
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 17:25:08 -0500

Ken Brameld wrote:

> download - (384 Kbps advertised) 147.83 Kbps, 151.56 Kbps, 150.69 Kbps
> upload - (128 Kbps advertised) 13.22 Kbps, 14.03 Kbps, 13.28 Kbps
>
> I contacted PacBell and was told my "connection speeds may vary due to
> internet congestion."  This is kind of a lame response and I would like
> to track connection speeds in greater detail to identify bottlenecks
> (i.e. where's the slow down, my computer --> Alcatel modem --> PacBell
> central office --> ISP --> world ?).
>
> What tools are available in Linux to do this?

FTP is probably the best way to guage transfer performance.  PacBell's
response does seem *lame*, but I bet they can get away with it :-(.
However, if your ISP is anything like mine, you might have a good way to
test.  I assume from your message that you were transferring files to/from
somewhere in the 'world'.  If you have some web space with your ISP, just
do the transfers to/from there.  If not, talk to your ISP, tell them what
you're trying to test.  I'm sure they will be helpful.  They probably even
have files to download from there website.  Ask if they have a web page
caching server.  If you pull something from there, I'm sure it will take
any ambiguity away fro mthe 'world' part of the equation.

Good luck.
Chris Salin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (A Guy Called Tyketto)
Date: 8 Sep 1999 13:34:04 -0500

------------------------------

From: Clyde Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using DHCP
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 13:09:06 -0500

Hum, maybe that's my problem. I was using RH5.2 and it worked fine. I just
upgraded to 6.0 and DHCP won't get the default gateway from Mediaone
(Suburban Chicago). It get everything else. So, I manually put in the gateway
address. That's only fine until I move to a different network.

BTW, my NT side work just fine.

Clyde

------------------------------

From: "Nathan T. Lager" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SSH
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 22:38:20 GMT

Hello,
    In order to use X over the wire from my home server displaying on my
98 box at work i need to use SSH to make a secire tunnel because of the
companies firewall.  this wasnt a problem until i installed redhat 6.0
on my server.  i also moved it to a new PC so i formatted, gave it a
bigger HDD alla that nice stuff.  i cant get SSH server to install under
redhat 6.0.  Has anyone had any problems with SSH in RedHat 6.0? i was
running redhat 5.2 on the server and SSH worked.  i really dont want to
rip out redhat 6.0 because i cant get IP Masqing to work in 5.2.  anyone
have any similar probelms?

Thanx.

------------------------------

From: mist <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ipchains -L -M question
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1999 19:32:46 +0100

Vlar Schreidlocke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> scribed to us that -
>What would I need WINS for anyway? Is it required by Samba or anything
>else that might be important?

I don't really know.  (I don't think so, not for simple setups.)  If you
want to keep it you could always add rules to your filewall similar to
the ones you have already but to stop outgoing stuff as well.  You
certainly don't need WINS outside of your local network...

>Was someone or something (Austin Roadrunner host) connecting to a
>Win98 machine on the other side of the Linux firewall box? I'm
>wondering now if it was the Roadrunner Manager program that is still
>on the Win98 box (from when it was previously connected to the cable
>modem) trying to update itself.

Could have been, I guess.

--
Mist.

------------------------------

From: Dan Hill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: 95 on Token Ring segment loses route to net???
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 14:55:39 -0400

Here is the setup that i have

====================
Router      eth0 (internet) --ISP

                        eth1 (lan) ---Various boxes

                           tr0 (lan) ----Various boxes (Win 95 loses
route to eth0, although NT is fine)
===================

This router routes traffic between the ethernet and token ring segments
and also from the lan segments to the internet via ipmasq.  The weird
thing is that 95 clients on the token ring side randomly lose the route
to the internet.  No problem seeing the ethernet segment though.  I can
not find any errors or anything.  Does anyone have any idea as to what
could be causing this problem?  NT boxes are just fine.  They never lose
the the route.  I was thinking something maybe something with 95's
tcp/ip handling?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Dan Hill
Manager of Information Systems
Metaullics Systems Co. LP, 31935 Aurora Road, Solon, OH 44139
440-349-8800
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: ppp connection
Date: 8 Sep 1999 13:27:20 -0500

al carver ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> I'm fairly new at Linux but learning everyday.
> The problem I have is that my kppd dialer in RH 6.0 seems to connect to
> my ISP but i do not get any response from Netscape browser ,it just
> keeps running and says "connect to www.xxxx.com" but does not bring up
> the Web site. I tried to ping my ISP but nothing. I looked at "message"

The connection messages looked like you made two good connections.  Do
you have /etc/resolv.conf configured with nameservers?  man 5 resolver.
Do you have the pppd option defaultroute?  Otherwise you can try adding
the pppd debug option (using whatever is equivalent for the kppp frontend)
to get more detailed debug messages and see what the logs look like then.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* A salute to Inspector Baynes, of the Surry Constabulary, the only

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Paul Lew)
Subject: Re: SOHOWare Fast Auto 10/100 PCI -- Tulip ?
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 22:44:18 GMT

Your -D_KERNEL_ s/b -D__KERNEL__; note that it is "2"
underscores; if then you get a -Wall not valid option
just remove it.  The compiler seems to give some erroneous
msgs when "certain" problems occur and it saying the
directory is incorrect in many cases.  BTW, it's uppercase Oh.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Sep 1999 08:53:35 +1000
From: Damian Hehir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: HELP ME!!!!

id just like to state firsltly that im a newbie well and trully

ok im running a linux box on a lan....... on this lan everyone else is
using windows boxes (its just at the college at my uni)

what i want to know is how i can access there shared folders from my
box....... something like a network neighborhood equivalent would be
lovely

ive heard of a program called samba........ mind you i have no idea how
to use it.......

any help will be MOST APPRECIATED.........

my email is  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

cheers Damo..........

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Julia)
Subject: Redhat Network Problem
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 20:02:28 GMT

Hi There,

        I've just installed RedHat and though most things seem to be working
well, I'm having some major difficulties with networking.

        I've run linuxconf and netconf a number or times (like 2 million)
and checked and double checked my configurations a million times and it
all seems to be in order.

        My machine is Mtl-Linux.montreal.hcl.com. I can ping the machine
itself, either by name or by IP address and it's successful.  I can ping
my network (xxx.xxx.xxx.0) but I can't ping anything else!!

        Does any one have any idea what I can do?  I've already applied the
networking kernel patch and recompiled the kernel but still nothing.  I
can't download or get any other patches or kernel updates since I'm not
able to get connected to the network.  The killer of this is, I had it
working yesterday and then after I rebooted, it stopped working.

Thanks in advance.

Julia

------------------------------

From: "Hugues" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: how do i connect to remote server using a modem
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 23:05:42 GMT

Hi, i am a newbie with linux.  What i wanna do seems pretty straghtforward,
but as everything else in linux, it is not.  I have a modem card.  I wanna
use it to dial out to a solaris server, and have a terminal from this
server which i can answer question to, like choosing the server, saying
term down and launching slirp, you know, the usual.  I don't even have a
connection, nothing happens when i do chat.  I have no idea of how this
works, i am not even sure linux recognize my modem.  i am running red hat
6.0.  Lots of people wanna do this, so there must be somewhere where a
procedure easy to follow is posted.  Can anyone help me with that?  tx.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

ps: it is the third time i am trying to convert myself to linux, please
don't let me go back to windows, please...

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Farley 902)
Subject: WINS (NetBIOS Name Server) and Linux help
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 23:20:43 GMT

I recently configured several of my servers (NT 4-SP5) with  WINS
PROXY AGENT.  These servers ARE on different subnets and are NOT on
WINS servers themselves.

When I ping (in linux)  a WINS-ENABLED computer (WIN95 client) that is
not in the DNS or LMHOST or HOSTS files, it fails.

The RedHat 6.0 box is configured to use NIS,DNS, and HOSTS (in that
order).  Am I missing something???