From: "Alan Murphy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Network time daemon
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 14:54:56 +0100

Hi,

Im trying to set my Linux machine up as an internal NTP time server.  Im not
interested in absolute accuracy down to the pico second, I just want to
syncronise several UNIX machines to the same time.  I have xntpd running on
RedHat 6.0, but when I try rdate from another machine I get connection
refused.  The Linux machine has two IP addresses, as it in on two networks

I am happy to RTFM if someone can point me in the fright direction

Thanks

Alan

------------------------------

From: Marie-Noelle Dauphin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Aix4.2.1<==NFS ==> LINUX
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:25:53 +0200

"M. Sievers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> the linux default is to expect connections from "secure" ports - that
> is, below port number 1024, which should be accessible to root
> only. It will be enough to specify the 'insecure' option in your
> /etc/exports and restart nfs. You should have something like:
>
> /web/beta      aixbox(rw,insecure)
>
> Bye,
> Michael

Thank's Michael  ,  now   it's OK !!!

Bye Michael

Marie-Noelle

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DataDude)
Subject: PPP Help
Date: 14 Sep 1999 06:00:35 PDT

I have been using Red Hat Linux, on and off,  for a little while and
now have the need to connect to the internet. I am using RHL version
5. I have read the PPP HOWTO and verified that I have kernal support
for PPP. For the life of me I cannot get the modem to do anything. I
have an external Hayes Supra modem connected to cua1 (com2). I have no
problems dialing out using Seyon but I cannot get the modem to react
to the PPP and Chat script. I have tried netcfg, linuxconf and
manually editing the scripts, nothing seems to work. What am I doing
wrong? I have tried to launch the connection using the activate option
of netcfg and I have tried the ifup ppp0 option as well.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

------------------------------

From: "Ricardo Wagner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: A Challenge
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 07:57:53 -0500

Where do you et that?
TX

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: RH6,CableModem,DHCP,2nd NIC=HANG-On-Boot
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:58:08 GMT

If you cable modem service provider only gives you 1 IP, turning off
DHCP for the second NIC may help.

I have a setup where NIC 1 is connected to the cable modem and uses
DHCP.  NIC 2 is my own private network with a privately assigned IP
address.  See IP forwarding/IP masquerading for more information.

------------------------------

From: Robert Wein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: SOCKS5 HowTo
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 11:07:51 -0400

Hi everybody

I have tried to find a HOWTO on installing and configuring a SOCKS5
server.  I have found a link, but it is dead.

Anybody have a copy of it, or can help me out?  Socks5 on RH6.0 (pentium
system)

Thanks!

------------------------------

From: Mario Frasca <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Browsers and Linux
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 11:47:41 +0200

Ernest, your message to which I am `replying' is quite interesting: you
use the convention of replying before the quoted question and you don't
snip anything from the original text.

the net result looks like this:

<your reply to Dave>
||<Norman's text>
|<Dave's reply to Norman>

since <Norman's text> is quite long, the text to which you are referring
is not visible on my screen as I read your text.

this does not demonstrate that your style is worse than the what other
people here do, it only shows that if you adhere to a different style
than the one originally used is a bit like behaving as that employee at
the information desk of Frankfurt Central Station answering in German to
a question formulated in English.  that is, it requires more effort on
the side of the listener/reader.

if we go on this way, you could get something with this structure:
7
|6
|||4
||5
I would prefer either
|||4
||5
|6
7
or the opposite one.

I don't know if you were # 2 in this thread, in that case you could
assert that you decided the direction to follow, i.e.: reply<-question,
but if you look at the other posts in these newsgroups, you see that all
others follow the `question->reply' style.  Something like starting
speaking German in a place where everyone usually speaks English.  You'd
been asking for flames, you got them!

however, I believe we're definitely going off topic, what about
following to news.newusers.questions?

Mario
p.s.: I'm not following the convention Q->R because I'm not really
replying to the original post, just appending it to my post as a sort of
appendix, and appendixes are at the bottom!

------------------------------

From: Adrian Cox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Linking Sites by ISDN
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:27:29 +0100

Can anybody point me to an example (in English, if possible) of linking
multiple sites using isdn4linux? Each site currently uses a private
class C address, and connects to the Internet using a dialup provider
and IP masquerading.

I think this will probably involve configuring interfaces isdn1...isdnX
with rawip, but examples are hard to find. I'd do some trial and error,
but there are distances of several miles between the machines and I
can't perform remote administration until I've got this working.

- Adrian Cox

------------------------------

From: "Jado" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Theoretical question (dialup)...
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:02:24 +0100

Hey all, I'm away to install Suse on my machine (*again* :) since I would
like to use it as a router for my lan at home, I'm thinking about a way to
minimise online time and have come up with a strange solution which I
seriously doubt has been implemented, but thought I'd ask anyway :)

Since I'll be using a dial-up connection from my Linux box (and I pay per
minute for my phone calls here) does such a program exist that would

listen for activity from the modem (i.e. "ring ring" ;)
wait for disconnection
dial into my ISP

My phone line is there only for dialup, it's just if I'm round at a friends
house/work/whatever and need to get a file from one of my machines/drop a
file onto one, I'd like to be able to call home, let it ring once, wait a
few minutes then start up/downloading.

Any feedback would be nice, let me know if this has been done before or if
it can be done simply without resorting to code, I'm a Dos/Windows c++
programmer, and I'd like to play with linux a bit before I start writing
programs for it. If it doesn't exist, please let me know anyway and I guess
I'll sit and figure out the dark side of linux :)

Cheers,
Jado.

------------------------------

From: Stephen Lee - Post replies please <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Resolving hostnames problems!!!
Date: 14 Sep 1999 09:01:10 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, cecco  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have Redhat 6.0 that can connect to my ISP but it cant resolv host
>names. I mean that ping works correctly with the IP adress, but doesnt
>work with the hostnames. Netscape doesnt work too of course.
>I have written in the /etc/resolv.conf files a line like
>nameserver 192.106.104.1

Yes, but usually the name server is a different machine from the
dial-up server.  I believe there is an option for pppd to get it from
the isp, check the manuals.

Otherwise, you can just call and ask your ISP what the correct IP
address of the nameservers are.

Or, if you can get it to work under Win9x try running winipcfg, which
should tell you what the nameservers are.

Stephen

------------------------------

From: "Ng, Choon Hooi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: setting up network & net con
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 17:09:34 +0800

Not exactly sure what problems u are facing. As for RH, the Linux side is
pretty much set up already. This is done when you first install the OS. If
not, try running 'netconf' or something similar.

As for the win95/NT machines, go to help and search for 'Networking->
Setup'. It should guide u all the way.

ch

------------------------------

From: Steve <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Using Proxy Server for caching
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 12:55:34 GMT

Squid comes with a lot of distros and is avliable freely.  I have never
used it, I use ipchains for forwarding because my traffic isn't high
enough to warrent a caching proxy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

From: "David" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Please help: pppd won't connect!
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 16:48:46 +0200

you seem to reject both pap and chap. so whats left? your chat stuff doesnt
seem to work either. what does your ppp-on-dialer and ppp-on look like?

From: kite@NoSpam.%inetport.com (Clifford Kite)
Subject: Re: 2.3.18: pppd persist == broken?
Date: 14 Sep 1999 07:17:36 -0500

Paul 'Tok' Kiela ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

>       I just tried out 2.3.18, and everything seems to work fine, ppp dials
> and connects as normal, but when my modem gets disconnected (every 3 hours, its
> normal, take my word for it) pppd won't redial even if it has the persistant
> cmdline option. I'm not at home right now, so I can't quote syslog, but it
> just shows something like

> "Hangup (SIGHUP)" <- (which is normal, for when I get disconnected)

>       and hangs there, seeminly until pppd dies. With 2.2.10 everything
> worked fine. Yes, I did upgrade to the required pppd, so that can't be an
> issue. Any ideas?

Can't?  With a 2.3.x kernel? Wanna bet?

>From Paul Mackerras about this problem on the linux-ppp mailing list:

This problem is fixed in my current sources.  I am hoping to release
2.3.10 later this week, and in the meantime you can get my current
source by anonymous cvs from samba.org (package `ppp'), see
http://samba.org/cvs.html for instructions.

--
Clifford Kite <kite@inet%port.com>                    Not a guru. (tm)
/* I gave up on politics when no matter who I voted for, I regretted it.

------------------------------

From: Marc Abrams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: HELP!  How to login and activate DSL????
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 08:51:30 -0700

Read your Cisco (not USWest) manual for the 675. All the things you need to do
to a 675... such as initiating a DOH (Digital Off Hook=Select) session... can be
done from the command line either through the serial port or through a Telnet
session to the 675.

You could easily do a script to take the place of the Commander connect button.
In fact, you could use perl and TCL to replace the Commander completely.

marc.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: PPP Help
Date: 14 Sep 1999 15:35:58 GMT

In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (DataDude) writes:

]I have been using Red Hat Linux, on and off,  for a little while and
]now have the need to connect to the internet. I am using RHL version
]5. I have read the PPP HOWTO and verified that I have kernal support
]for PPP. For the life of me I cannot get the modem to do anything. I
]have an external Hayes Supra modem connected to cua1 (com2). I have no
]problems dialing out using Seyon but I cannot get the modem to react
]to the PPP and Chat script. I have tried netcfg, linuxconf and
]manually editing the scripts, nothing seems to work. What am I doing
]wrong? I have tried to launch the connection using the activate option
]of netcfg and I have tried the ifup ppp0 option as well.
]Any help will be greatly appreciated.

a) /usr/sbin/chat -v '' AT OK >/dev/ttyS1 </dev/ttyS1
should return in less than a second.
Look in /var/log/messages to see that the OK comes less than a second
after the AT was sent out.

Note Use the /dev/ttyS ports, not the cua ports. The cua ports are being
phased out ( and may already not work with the 2.2.x kernels).

b) setserial /dev/ttyS1
to see that the serial port is actually set up ( port irq uart)

c) Get http://axion.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
as a step by step guide to setting up ppp.

------------------------------

From: QuestionExchange <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Print problem - Linux to NT
Date: 14 Sep 1999 13:26:8 GMT

Can the NT machine's name (piii-1) be resolved to an IP address
by your Linux box? If you type
ping piii-1
do you get a response? If you get an unknown host error, add an
entry for NT machine to /etc/hosts and /etc/lmhosts and try
printing again.
> Hi.  I'm having trouble printing from our linux machine to
our printer
> attached to a WinNT machine.  I'm running RedHat 5.2.
>
> The WinNT machine is called piii-1.  The printer connected to
it is
> called piii-hpoj.
>
> My printcap file is as follows:
>
> ##PRINTTOOL3## SMB  Deskjet  300x300 letter {} Destjet
Default 1 #Setup
> 9/5/99:
> lp0:\
>  :lp:\
>  :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp0:\
>  :rm:=piii-1:\
>  :rp=piii-hpoj:\
>  :mx#0:\
>  :sh:\
>  :if=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/filter:\
>  :af=/var/spool/lpd/lp0/acct:\
> #
> #
>
> It's not the printer, because I can print to it when it's
connected

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com

http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=3306&cus_id=USENET&qtn_id=2946