From: Derek Clifford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: pppd on startup
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 16:34:17 +0200

The last time I had a similar problem - something would not start when
invoked by a startup script, but worked fine manually, it was because the
environment is not fully set up during the initialisation. You cannot rely
on PATH for example, but must give all paths explicitly.

Derek

--
   Derek CLIFFORD (DAI)        |[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Eurocontrol Experimental Centre|   mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Jon Michael Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: kernel 2.2.11 & 3c509 NIC
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:23:05 -0400

I recently tried to upgrade my kernel to 2.2.11 from 2.2.5 (Redhat 6.0).  On
boot up, the computer no longer can detect the DHCP from my cablemodem, it
justs hangs when initializing eth0 (a 3c509 NIC).  Everything worked fine
before I upgraded to 2.2.11.  Does anyone know why this is happening?

Thanks in advance.

Jon

------------------------------

From: "Jon Michael Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 10:28:32 -0400

I currently use a Linksys Ethernet package that came with a 5 port hub and
two ethernet cards.  It works great.  In my linux box I use a 3c509 card for
my ISP connection and then one of the Linksys cards for the local network
connection to the hub.  There are 4 Win98 machines connected to the hub, and
have never run into a problem with the Linksys cards.  I actually have more
problems with my 3c509 card.

------------------------------

From: Barry Wickett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: printer sharing fot macs from linux
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 13:48:35 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jon Hubbard
<URL:mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am trying to share a HP DeskJet printer on a small network of PC's (Ugh!)
> and Macs ( :-) Mmmmm)
>
> I know that GhostScript id working as I can print PS files from any of the
> PCs using Samba.
>
> I am sharing drives from linux to the mac no problem but cannot get the
> printer to work.
>
> The only references I have been able to locate say that I need to put this
> line in my /etc/atalk/papd.conf file
>
> hpdeskjet:pr=lp:op=jon:pd=/etc/atalk/APLWNTR1.PPD:

I have found that simply

hp:pr=lp:

works (hp is the name of my printer).

Barry

------------------------------

From: "YouDontKnowWho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Fetchmail: fetching for multiple users in one pass
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:57:28 GMT

For those of you that have fetchmail working for several users, do you
get messages in the syslog indicating that identd is being accessed by
127.0.0.1?

I'm getting quite a few of these.  How do I get rid of them?

--
Principle of Minimum Access: "That which is not explicitly permitted
is denied."

ANNOUNCER: And now we return to our regularly scheduled, uncommonly
entertaining thread...

Frank v Waveren wrote in message ...
>In article <Z8WC3.48955$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> "YouDontKnowWho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> We are currently using fetchmail to retrieve user mail from our ISP
>> accounts.  Each user has a fetchmail cron that checks their mail
and
>> puts it locally where it belongs.
>>
>> Well, right now we don't have that many users on the system, so
>> setting this up is not that much work or overhead on the system.
But

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rod Smith)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 13:51:35 GMT

In article <%YCD3.50381$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        "YouDontKnowWho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Well, thanks to everyone who contributed, I have a working system that
> fetches e-mail for all the users of my system from one .fetchmailrc
> file.
>
> What I was missing (and was confused about) is that fetchmail uses
> sendmail (in my case) to send the e-mails it retrieves.  So, a single
> user (not even root, even though that's how I set it up) can run it
> and distribute e-mail for everyone.  Of course, that would mean that
> the user would have access to the e-mail passwords of other users, but
> that's not a concern in our case.

Concerning passwords, you should be aware of two things:

1) Depending upon permissions on whatever script or data file stores
   those passwords, others might have access to them.  0700 permissions
   for a script of this nature is a good idea.
2) If security on the system that does the fetching is ever compromised
   from the outside, so might be those passwords.  I therefore STRONGLY
   recommend that you use passwords for that purpose which aren't used for
   any other accounts or systems.  If possible, the mail passwords from
   the ISP should be different from passwords used to connect to the ISP
   (if those accounts are even set up to allow dialup connections).

--
Rod Smith
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: Guillaume BRIALON <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Telnet service on different TCP/IP port?
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1999 14:57:05 +0000

why not have a look at /etc/services ?

You will find the following line :
telnet          23/tcp

I bet you can modify the port number 23 to another one  and restart
intetd (/etc/rc.d/init.d/inet restart).
Maybe it will work if telnetd is nice.
But be carefull changing the port number, find one that is not assigned.

Bye