Linux-Networking Digest #630, Volume #12         Sat, 18 Sep 99 15:13:31 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Win98 -> Linux homenetwork. ("Colvin")
  Re: NAT in Linux ? (newbie) (Andy Johnstone)
  Re: rsh: adding a command (Thomas R. Shannon)
  Re: Prob w/ RedHat DSL and Linksys NIC ("Patrick")
  Re: open socket connection ("RobertQuirk")
  Re: Lan sharing cable modem (Andy Johnstone)
  Re: open socket connection (Sudsy)
  Security Using Masquerading (ipchains) (Coral Sea)
  Re: PPP compression vs. modem compression (Bill Unruh)
  Re: MODEM Setup --- Please Help! (Bill Unruh)
  Re: RH 6.0 PPP Connects but no DNS (Bill Unruh)
  Re: SIOCSIFFLAGS: resource temporarily unavailable !?! (Sascha Edelburg)
  Re: ifconfig eth0 down causes seg fault (Bernd Eckenfels)
  Re: RTL8139 problems ("p.claes")
  Re: indecision in choosing IF (Bernd Eckenfels)
  Re: open socket connection (Michael Ransburg)
  Re: redir and inetd (Bernd Eckenfels)
  Problems with using flock on an imported directory (Martin Klingler)
  Can't compile pppd 2.3.9 ("David C. Churchill")
  ACK storm and resulting amnesia (Wisquatuk)
  Re: Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ? (OldUncleMe)
  Re: backing up - smbumount problem ("YouDontKnowWho")

From: "Colvin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Win98 -> Linux homenetwork.
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:17:41 -0400

Nothing is wrong with your config.  The route print is correct.  To get to
any device on the 192.168.3.0 network, the traffic is sent direct to that
device via interface 192.168.3.20.  Your gateway specification refering to
192.168.3.10 is for the default route, i.e. the address that your win 98
machine sends a packet to if it has no explicit route for it.

Your ping problem must be something else.

Regards
Bill Colvin

------------------------------

From: Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: NAT in Linux ? (newbie)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:57:52 -0400

Check out this page.

 http://scnc.holt.k12.mi.us/~lachniet/proxy/

It helped me do the same fuction as NAT on win95.  The 6 lines ipwfadm are
what got it working for me.  On RH6 it was ipwfadm-wrapper tho. but its the
same thing i guess.

andy

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas R. Shannon)
Subject: Re: rsh: adding a command
Date: 18 Sep 1999 10:45:03 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas R. Shannon) writes:

> I can rlogin to my machine at work with no problem.  Naturally enough,
> I can also use rsh to login with no problem.  However, if I use rsh
> and add a command at the end, say "emacs", I get "permission denied".
>
> Is there additional security involved here?  How do I solve this?

I answered my own (dumb) question.  Its at the bottom of the man
page.  No interactive commands.

Sorry,
Tom
============
Quote of the day for Saturday, 18 September, 1999:

"Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you."

  - Elbert Hubbard

------------------------------

From: "Patrick" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Prob w/ RedHat DSL and Linksys NIC
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 16:06:45 GMT

PnP?  Whats that?  Ive heard of it but can't say I know what it is.

----  ------   ------- -------  --------  -----
JunkDTectr wrote in message ...

>Don't suffer, turn PnP off in BIOS.  I have them
(plus a bunch of other stuff that would take you a while to download if
reposted)
----  ------- ------- ------- ------- ------ ------

------------------------------

From: "RobertQuirk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: open socket connection
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 17:31:01 +0100
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer,comp.unix.questions

NO!!!!! you don't have to be root to open a socket. You use FTP and telnet
without
going super-user and none of these programs /bin/telnet etc. have the
setuser
permission set.

------------------------------

From: Andy Johnstone <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Lan sharing cable modem
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 11:59:27 -0400

Hey,

That link helped!  The network can now use the linux box as the gateway and go
thru via the internet!  Now, does anyone know how secure that solution is?
All i did was add the 6 ipwfadm lines...

Andy

From: Sudsy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 12:13:15 -0400

Sylvain Siw wrote:

> hi,
> I'm doing some socket programming now. May I know must I be the root in
> order to open a socket?
>
> thanks.

You only need to be root if you're trying to bind to one of the "well-
known ports", typically socket number less than 1024 (although
some UNIX variants use different numbers for this.)

------------------------------

From: Coral Sea <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Security Using Masquerading (ipchains)
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 15:29:26 GMT

I have masquerading set up under Red Hat Linux 6.0 using ipchains.  I
also have @Home Internet service (cable modem).  Should I install the
firewall package that is available for ipchains/masquerading set ups or
am I okay by whatever security @Home provides?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: PPP compression vs. modem compression
Date: 18 Sep 1999 16:40:30 GMT

In <7rvb37$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Hal Sadofsky)
writes:

>In reading about modem operations, I learn (is this really true?) that
>disabling modem compression will decrease latency.  Clearly though,
>there is then a loss of speed when transferring large compressible
>files.

>If one enables PPP compression does one make up for this?  That is,
>is it best to disable modem compression and enable PPP compression
>in order to get lower latency but still appropriate compression?

Clearly having compression is better than not. What you loose by having
it on one large text file more than compensates for any gains. Re doing
the compression in the modem vs in the computer, I suspect that the
extra processing in the CPU compensates for the decreased modem to
computer traffic.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: MODEM Setup --- Please Help!
Date: 18 Sep 1999 16:44:29 GMT

In <GbME3.159902$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> "Bob" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

]    Well, I'm pretty new to the wonderful world of the Linux OS. I have Red
]Hat Linux 5.2, Kernel 2.0.36, and have been trying to set up my modem for
]quite some time. This is the story: I have and AOpen M-56P modem, and have
]tried using "setserial" to set it up. Its on COM3, under DOS/Win so I used
]the port /dev/cua2, and /dev/ttyS2, neither of which worked. I set the UART
]to 16550A once, and now it won't let me set it again. When I use "minicom"
]to test out the modem (while minicom is initializing I get a message saying
]it can't find the config files, so it's using the defaults), than when I
]dial up my ISP, the modem just sits there -- I can't hear the signal. I'd
]greatly appreciate some help, on how to fix my problems, and get my modem
]working. Thank's a lot!

Highly likely your modem is a winmodem. winmodems do not work in Linux.
They require a driver ( which does all of the work a modem is supposed
to do). Bug the manufacturer to write Linux drivers, or buy a real modem
( one that reuires no drivers under Windows, and whichwill work under
plain DOS).

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Unruh)
Subject: Re: RH 6.0 PPP Connects but no DNS
Date: 18 Sep 1999 16:49:06 GMT

In <7s0bpi$661$[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Al Weston <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>Ifconfig says I have an IP address, and I can ping IP's but not names.

>Hosts, host.conf and resolv.conf all are correct. But something isn't
>working. I'm sure it's probably something silly that I've overlooked but
>I sure don't know what it is. I'd sure appreciate any assistance on this
>one.

If you can ping by address but not by name, then your resolv.conf is
probably not OK. What do you have in there?
Also make sure that it is readable by all.
chmod a+r /etc/resolv.conf
(or post your resolv.conf here.)

------------------------------

From: Sascha Edelburg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SIOCSIFFLAGS: resource temporarily unavailable !?!
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 18:55:21 +0200

> I wrote:
> > -> SIOCSIFFLAGS: resource temporarily unavailable.
> >
> > Then the execution of "route" fails.
> >
> > - both of them use NE2000-comp./10Mbit-Cards which are correctly
> > detected
<cut>

Phil wrote:
<cut>
> Make sure nothing else in your system is using the same IRQ
> that you've configured the ne2k to use.
<cut>

In fact there was a conflict in getting the right IRQ.
Two devices tried to send their signals over the same interrupt.
Fixed the problem by manually changing the BIOS-interrupt-handling.

Thanks Phil !!! :-))

------------------------------

From: Bernd Eckenfels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ifconfig eth0 down causes seg fault
Date: 18 Sep 1999 17:54:13 GMT

David <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have two network cards in my computer. I like to shut down the
> Internet network card when I am not using it with the command  ifconfig
> eth0 down which seems to work for a few minutes and then I always get a
> segmentaion fault.  I am unable to bring the network back p or reboot.
> I have to turn off the computer.

Which Program is segfaulting? Do u mean a Kernel Opps?

Greetings
Bernd

------------------------------

From: "p.claes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RTL8139 problems
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:01:43 +0200

I don't have any problems with this card under Suse 6.1 and the driver ne2000
for pci. It was just plug and play.

Pascal

------------------------------

From: Bernd Eckenfels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: indecision in choosing IF
Date: 18 Sep 1999 18:04:19 GMT

Stuart Summerville <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'll do a traceroute to a certain external ip address & it will try to
> do so via eth0. I'll have to force it to use ppp0 IF for it to work.
> Yes, no default route is set to talk to the external gateway via ppp0.

If you dont set a default route (and if pppd isnt doing it) then you cant
reach external hosts at all. If you set up a default route, or at least a
route to the host you want to reach the packets will go through the right
interface (the one the route points to).

tcpdump can only dump one interface. It is using eth0 as a default. If you
want to dump another interface you have to gibe its name with -i, thats
perfectly normal.

Greetings
Bernd

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Michael Ransburg)
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.programmer,comp.unix.questions
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 17:08:04 GMT

On Sat, 18 Sep 1999 12:13:15 -0400, Sudsy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Sylvain Siw wrote:
>
>> hi,
>> I'm doing some socket programming now. May I know must I be the root in
>> order to open a socket?
>>
>> thanks.
>
>You only need to be root if you're trying to bind to one of the "well-
>known ports", typically socket number less than 1024 (although
>some UNIX variants use different numbers for this.)

I'm not completely sure on this, but additionally you must be root if you
try to open a raw port I think...

mike
--
Curious? Look at http://daneel.tsx.org

------------------------------

From: Bernd Eckenfels <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: redir and inetd
Date: 18 Sep 1999 18:00:51 GMT

Matt Chipman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> has anyone used the port redirector util "redir" with inetd.conf?

> can you post an example,  or a link to a faq or something

You should run it stand alone, its much faster and more reliable, but if you
insist on doing it from ientd a line can look like this (in this example i
am using tcpd as a wrapper, so you need an "redir: ALL" line in
/etc/hosts.allow.

This forwards port 8080 on the redir host to port 80 on host 1.2.3.4

8080 stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/src/redir-0.7/redir redir --inetd 1.2.3.4 80
8080 stream tcp nowait nobody /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/redir --inetd 1.2.3.4 80

Greetings
Bernd

------------------------------

From: Martin Klingler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Problems with using flock on an imported directory
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 20:22:21 +0200

To anybody who can help,

I am running SuSE 6.1, I have imported a directory from the server via
NFS. I have all the rights in that directory but when I start a program,
that tries to lock a file, I get the error-message "no lock availabel".
The same program runs without any problems on a local disk. What do I
wrong?

Please excuse if this is a stupid question but I am just a user and not
an expert.

Many thanks for any answer.
Best regrads
Martin

------------------------------

From: "David C. Churchill" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Can't compile pppd 2.3.9
Date: 18 Sep 1999 18:32:31 GMT

I'm trying to install ppp 2.3.9 on my Slackware 3.9 box (2.0.37 kernel) so I
can use demand dialing.  I did:

./configure
make kernel
built the new kernel (with ppp driver compiled in, not as module)

All with no problems, however, when I run make I get the following error:

sys-linux.o: In function `ppp_available':
/usr/include/sys/stat.h:169: undefined reference to `makedev'
make[1]: *** [pppd] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/try/ppp-2.3.9/pppd'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Does anyone have any clues as to how to fix this?

TIA
David

------------------------------

From: Wisquatuk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: ACK storm and resulting amnesia
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.system
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 17:20:20 GMT

(I don't generally crosspost, but I'm not sure which group this fits
into, and I *think* it's on-topic for both, so...)

Okay, so it's happened again.  Ugh.  Basically, my system seems to be
losing memory... suddenly, the RSS values just don't add up.  Here,
take a look at this last bout, which I managed to record before I
barely got the machine to shut down:

  PID USER   PRI  NI  SIZE SWAP  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND
 9911 wisq    18   0   520   52  468   340 R     7.9  2.5   0:04 top
  443 root     0   0   492  152  340   260 S     0.0  1.8   3:59 rpc.nfsd
  488 rc5des  19  19   328  124  204   144 S N   0.0  1.0   0:43 rc5des
  505 rc5des  19  19   328  124  204   144 S N   0.0  1.0   0:06 rc5des
  508 rc5des  20  19   328  124  204   144 R N  91.5  1.0  2007m rc5des
  580 root     0   0   296  120  176   164 S     0.3  0.9   0:34 nmbd
  432 root     0   0   172  108   64    44 S     0.0  0.3   0:10 rpc.mountd
  530 root     0   0   100   44   56    40 S     0.1  0.2   0:00 gpm
  546 root     0   0   380  328   52    44 S     0.0  0.2   0:14 httpd
    1 root     0   0    68   68    0     0 SW    0.0  0.0   0:04 init
    2 root     0   0     0    0    0     0 SW    0.0  0.0   0:36 kflushd
    3 root     0   0     0    0    0     0 SW    0.0  0.0   0:08 kupdate
    4 root     0   0     0    0    0     0 SW    0.0  0.0   0:00 kpiod
    5 root     0   0     0    0    0     0 SW    0.0  0.0   1:58 kswapd
<and so on -- this is sorted by RSS, so nothing below here is resident
 at *all*>

              total     used     free   shared  buffers   cached
 Mem:         18692    18108      584      372      408     1716
 -/+ buffers/cache:    15984     2708
 Swap:        34028    15680    18348

Stuff swaps tons (which is the main reason the system becomes
near-unusable), and if it goes too far, I've even had the entire
system hang.  (Accompanied by a ton of 'out of memory for ...'
messages, and a few init panics.  Not that I knew init could panic
until now.)

Oh, and incidentally, I'm not sure if this is related, but it's weird
in any case.. my magic SysRq key has stopped working.  I know it's
configured in the kernel.  I know it worked not to long ago (in fact,
I used it to safely reboot during one of the near-system-failures).  I
know that the keyboard isn't broken, because showkey -s gives me 0x54
codes, and SysRq still gets stuck like it sometimes does, but it
doesn't actually *do* anything anymore.  (Even after a cold reboot.)

Meanwhile, the last two times my system's been fried or near-fried
(including the one from which the data above comes from), I've noticed
heavy activity on my ADSL link.  This last time, I hastily did a
tcpdump to grab some of it before denying it all at the firewall:

10:44:27.885107 pppaddress.64581 > mail.pop-3: . ack 4069160461 win 0
10:44:27.895107 mail.pop-3 > pppaddress.64581: . ack 1 win 8760 (DF)
10:44:27.895107 pppaddress.64581 > mail.pop-3: . ack 4069160461 win 0
10:44:27.915107 mail.pop-3 > pppaddress.64581: . ack 1 win 8760 (DF)
10:44:27.925107 mail.pop-3 > pppaddress.64581: . ack 1 win 8760 (DF)
10:44:27.925107 mail.pop-3 > pppaddress.64581: . ack 1 win 8760 (DF)
10:44:27.925107 mail.pop-3 > pppaddress.64581: . ack 1 win 8760 (DF)
10:44:27.935107 pppaddress.64581 > mail.pop-3: . ack 4069160461 win 0
10:44:27.935107 pppaddress.64581 > mail.pop-3: . ack 4069160461 win 0
10:44:27.935107 pppaddress.64581 > mail.pop-3: . ack 4069160461 win 0

And so on, seemingly randomly, in a strange sort of ACK loop.

Is this an ACK storm used to attack a link?  Or a kernel bug, maybe?
At first I thought the loss of available memory was some sort of
cracker infiltration using a kernel module that hid
processes/files/whatnot, but I disabled kernel module support, and the
problem continued.  And then I noticed the ACK traffic.  (I've killed
my fetchmail daemons in the meantime, as damage control.)

Further information, to potentially trace this: The host that keeps
dying is furball (192.168.1.2 on my localnet, Linux 2.2.11), whose
packets are forwarded and masqueraded via firewall (192.168.1.1, Linux
2.2.10).  Firewall uses a PPPoE ADSL link to the net, via
Sympatico.ca, and the 192.168.1.x machines are connected via 10Mbps
Ethernet.

Oh, and also: I'm not collecting my mail from Sympatico's mailserver;
the ACK traffic above was to/from my *old* ISP's mailserver, which
still gives me an e-mail address for reasons unknown.  Hence, I'm
wondering if someone along that route is trying to desynchronise my
link.  (I don't see *why*, if they could just sniff it, but..)

Okay, so I'll be quite frank.. I'm totally at a loss to figure out
what the heck is going on. :)  Any help would be appreciated.

- --
 - Wisq ([EMAIL PROTECTED] to email)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (OldUncleMe)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 18:57:42 GMT

It was: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 17:01:09 -0700  and with STARTLING insight,  "Jose
Otero <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>"
  posted "Re: Anyone using Linksys Fast Ethernet 10/100 Network in a Box ?"

 to "comp.os.linux.hardware" :

-->If anyone has got there Linksys card to work (the one with wake up on LAN
-->support) please write me with some info.  Also, although I am doing this
-->backwards, has anyone networked linux through windows running a proxy
-->server?

-->Jose

Yup.  Running '98 and a program -- Nat 1000 -- whose company was bought out
by M$ and the prog is included in 98SE, as a feature with its own name.
Not sure what M$ calls it.  Works like a charm.  Any  machine on my lan
whose gateway is set to the Nat machine (and has valid dns server entries
--same as my provider, but could use public or private dns servers also --
I've tested use with public servers, no problem) connects to the internet
through its internet connection, cable modem.  Seamless.  Little or no
apparent processing overhead on the routing machine, no other special
configuration on _any_ machine on the lan; on the routing machine, nothing
other than setting up the nat program.  Nat has worked the same for NT,
several flavors of Linux, several of '95, even dos machines.  Just direct
those otherwise usatisfied requests to the gateway machine.

Nat will work without entering dns information on the lan machines, but
only if ip#'s are used.  Dns entries must exist for ip conversion on each
machine.

I imagine that using proxy software to route the lan through one machine's
internet connection would not be much more involved, but that depends on
the software.....       /ts

              tenox  @  home  dat   com

------------------------------

From: "YouDontKnowWho" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: backing up - smbumount problem
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 18:35:41 GMT

Could it be possible that the script has as its current directory a
directory on the filesystem you want to unmount?

--
Principle of Minimum Access: "That which is not explicitly permitted
is denied."

ANNOUNCER: And now we return to our regularly scheduled, uncommonly
entertaining thread...