From: Peter Howell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: 23 June 2000 21:35
Subject: Reconstructing partion table

>         Ok, this is a windows 98 problem, but I think there may be a linux
solution.  The boot record of one of our win98 has been trashed.  When we
boot from a floppy and run fdisk, it shows up as NON-DOS.  I suspect that
this was done by a lab mate in  an attempt to remove the antiexe.a virus.
>         What I am hoping, is that restoring necessary information to the
partion table will get us access to the drive.  This kind of low level
tinkering seems to be something I could do in linux.  So here is the
question.  If I move the HD to my linux box (which I invoke gloatingly
whenever these virus problems occur) is there a set of commands that would
let me look at and change the information in the drives partition table and
regain access to the partition?  At best I could restore the drive to
bootable status.  It would be almost as good for me to be able to just get
the drive to mount under linux.  Then I could get the essential data files
off it before I put it back in the old system to reformat and reinstall.