Dear Nauman,

in your plan to add a new partition on a new HDD to your Linux computer, you mixed two
steps that should come one after the other:
1.: mount the new partition on a directory on your original drive, do a mkfs on it
with the filesystem of your choice (I'd recommend reiserfs) and copy over the contens
of the partition you want to relocate with cp -a, this way keeping all the permissions
and links intact.
2. Umount the new partition.
3.Change /etc/fstab to reflect the new location of your partition.
4. Reboot (vain point: does any of you experts know a way of avoiding a reboot in this
situation? I loove my uptime...).
5. If everything went well, you can now use the original partition for something else,
e.g. swap.

Doco: There is the Linux System Administrators Guide available online, where it is I
can't remember, probably at LDP, or search for it.

With APM I can't help you, never had a laptop.

HTH!
Christoph

 --
This is not here.