On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 7:12 PM, Jerry Hoemann <jerry.hoem...@hpe.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 05:47:10PM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
>> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 5:00 PM, Jerry Hoemann <jerry.hoem...@hpe.com> wrote:
>> > Add structure definitions newly published/modified in v0.85:
>> >
>> > https://github.com/HewlettPackard/hpe-nvm/blob/master/Documentation/NFIT_DSM_DDR4_NVDIMM-N_v85.pdf
>>
>> Are there going to be follow-on patches that make use of these
>> definitions? I would save this update for when those follow-on patches
>> are ready.
>
> There are multiple projects both inside and outside of HPE that need to
> make DSM calls.
>
> The DSM ioctl is an interface exported to user applications.  Customers
> and vendors can and will use this interface for their own tools and this
> use need not result in patches sent back to the ndctl project.

My hope was that the existing extra definitions in ndctl-hpe1.h would
gain some users at some point in the future, but there's otherwise no
need to add dead code to ndctl-hpe1.h. That header is only used at
compile time it's not shipped so it doesn't provide any benefit to
those third party applications that you mention.