On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 07:27:58PM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 7:12 PM, Jerry Hoemann <jerry.hoem...@hpe.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 05:47:10PM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:

> >> Are there going to be follow-on patches that make use of these
> >> definitions? I would save this update for when those follow-on patches
> >> are ready.
> >
> > There are multiple projects both inside and outside of HPE that need to
> > make DSM calls.
> >
> > The DSM ioctl is an interface exported to user applications.  Customers
> > and vendors can and will use this interface for their own tools and this
> > use need not result in patches sent back to the ndctl project.
>
> My hope was that the existing extra definitions in ndctl-hpe1.h would
> gain some users at some point in the future, but there's otherwise no
> need to add dead code to ndctl-hpe1.h. That header is only used at
> compile time it's not shipped so it doesn't provide any benefit to
> those third party applications that you mention.

AFAIK ndctl-hpe1.h is the only "upstream" place where the definition of
the HPE1 non-root function structures reside.

Having the definitions in the kernel supplied header ndctl.h would be
much better, but you pushed back on that two years ago.

Have you changed your mind?  Do you want me to add the HPE nvdimm-n
non root structure definitions to ndctl.h like the Intel non-root
definitions?