Hi Tony,

On Fri, 9 Mar 2018 15:03:58 -0800, Luck, Tony wrote:
> I got side-tracked reading the standard with the ancient ways
> used to report size back in the day when kilobytes was a
> plausible unit. So I wrote code that covers all the crazy
> cases.  Persistant DIMMs have sizes measured in gigabytes.
> I should stop worrying about "0" vs. "fffffff" and just treat
> the old cases as errors and simplify the code to be:
>
>       u32 mbytes;
>
>       if (size == 0 || (size & 0x8000))
>               mbytes = 0;
>       if (size != 0x7fff)

"else" missing.

>               mbytes = size;
>       else
>               mbytes = get_unaligned((u32 *)&d[0x1C]);
>
> Then I can use 32-bit throughout this and patch 5.

Note that it is possible to store MB values (up to 16 MB) using kB as
the unit. The specification allows for it, and a few systems use that
option. For example [1], the DMI data of a Supermicro X8STi board looks
like:

Handle 0x0038, DMI type 17, 28 bytes
Memory Device
        (...)
        Size: 4096 kB

and it is encoded as 0x9000.

I understand you don't care about such "small" memory modules for
persistent DIMMs, however the API is not specific to these, and it
could be confusing for callers that modules between 1 MB and 16 MB are
sometimes reported as 0 and sometimes not. So I believe that your code
should handle this case.

> Thanks for the review.

You're welcome.

[1] Let's be honest, that was the only instance out of the 180 DMI dumps
I collected. So it's fairly rare. But it did happen.

--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support