On Thu, Jun 28, 2018 at 12:28 PM,  <jane....@oracle.com> wrote:
> Hi, Dan,
>
> I'm concerned about this check
>
> +       if (!ndctl_test_attempt(test, KERNEL_VERSION(4, 19, 0)))
>
> I read it as: this ndctl test only works for upstream kernel 4.19 and above.
>
> For Linux distributors, such as us, we pick a major upstream release as the
> base OS, then painstakingly backport desired upstream patches etc.
> Our latest OS version string will be 4.14.x.y.z for a long while,
> that means the ndctl test won't work even if we backport the 4.19 nvdimm
> patches over.

You can run:

   make KVER=4.19.0 check

...and it will override the kernel version detection.

> Is it possible to come up with a more accommodating method?

We're trying to scale back our usage of kernel version gates, but if
it crashes the system we want to protect unsuspecting users.

> One way might be is to 'dd' a block of 0s to the injected block
> immediately after a successful injection?  For now, doing so leaves the
> 'badblocks' and the poison bit in place.

I'll notte that this is one of the tests marked in the
"ENABLE_DESTRUCTIVE" section of test/Makefile.am in the ndctl source.
Those tests may destroy data or otherwise adversely affect the system.
They are only meant for developer workstations and you must pass
"--enable-destructive" to 'configure' when building ndctl. The intent
is "don't enabled these tests unless you know what you are doing".