On Mon 27-05-19 16:25:41, Shiyang Ruan wrote:
> On 5/23/19 7:51 PM, Goldwyn Rodrigues wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I'm working on reflink & dax in XFS, here are some thoughts on this:
> > >
> > > As mentioned above: the second iomap's offset and length must match the
> > > first.  I thought so at the beginning, but later found that the only
> > > difference between these two iomaps is @addr.  So, what about adding a
> > > @saddr, which means the source address of COW extent, into the struct
> > > iomap.
> > > The ->iomap_begin() fills @saddr if the extent is COW, and 0 if not.  Then
> > > handle this @saddr in each ->actor().  No more modifications in other
> > > functions.
> >
> > Yes, I started of with the exact idea before being recommended this by Dave.
> > I used two fields instead of one namely cow_pos and cow_addr which defined
> > the source details. I had put it as a iomap flag as opposed to a type
> > which of course did not appeal well.
> >
> > We may want to use iomaps for cases where two inodes are involved.
> > An example of the other scenario where offset may be different is file
> > comparison for dedup: vfs_dedup_file_range_compare(). However, it would
> > need two inodes in iomap as well.
> >
> Yes, it is reasonable.  Thanks for your explanation.
>
> One more thing RFC:
> I'd like to add an end-io callback argument in ->dax_iomap_actor() to update
> the metadata after one whole COW operation is completed.  The end-io can
> also be called in ->iomap_end().  But one COW operation may call
> ->iomap_apply() many times, and so does the end-io.  Thus, I think it would
> be nice to move it to the bottom of ->dax_iomap_actor(), called just once in
> each COW operation.

I'm sorry but I don't follow what you suggest. One COW operation is a call
to dax_iomap_rw(), isn't it? That may call iomap_apply() several times,
each invocation calls ->iomap_begin(), ->actor() (dax_iomap_actor()),
->iomap_end() once. So I don't see a difference between doing something in
->actor() and ->iomap_end() (besides the passed arguments but that does not
seem to be your concern). So what do you exactly want to do?

                                                                Honza
--
Jan Kara <j...@suse.com>
SUSE Labs, CR