>What race are you referring to?  Wouldn't such a race exist
>with the current code?  (i.e., a shift should not cause any
>further race)

Two simultaneous writes to the same register, both accessing their own
halves of it. One of the writes would potentially be lost with 32 bit
accesses. As far as I understand, Cortex + caches provides a mechanism
for accessing device addresses in 16bit format, which prevents this kind
of race condition on machine level. (Well, I must admit that my code
does not really write anything to the registers so it does not cause any
race condition, this is just something I did out of habit.)

-Tero