* Felipe Balbi <ba...@ti.com> [140320 19:57]:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 09:45:42PM -0500, Robert Nelson wrote:

> > > As udev rules don't ship with the kernel, this might be tough to do :(
> > >
> > > Might be easier to make the 8250 driver handle different "names" like
> > > Alan said.
>
> I'll see if I find a way to avoid that or at least see if we find any
> other way of creating a symlink... In any case, just switching back to
> 8250, even if just maintaining ttyO name, is already a big benefit.
>
> > On the support side, I'm not looking forward to this for beagle/panda
> > users.  We've already converted them once from ttySx -> ttyOx back in
> > 2.6.33/2.6.34? days.  That was an irc/email/u-boot/kernel nightmare...
>
> that's exactly why we're talking about ways to maintain backwards
> compatibility here. But I'm more interested in finding a way to switch
> over to ttyS and have a symlink to ttyO, that way a simple debootstrap
> (or any other ARM distro minimal rootfs) would work out of the box,
> without any changes, just like in "normal" systems.

Yeah let's not break things. The symlink solution won't work for kernel
console output so it needs to be dealt with some other way.

It seems that the biggest amount of work is making existing 8250
support the missing features in a clean way and without breaking
other platforms. Looks like 8250_dw.c has some pm_runtime_calls so
obviously it's doable.

Regards,

Tony