On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 09:17:06PM +0100, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Tuesday 01 December 2015 22:29:54 Vinod Koul wrote:
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2015 at 03:45:30PM +0200, Peter Ujfalusi wrote:
> > > channel via DT, ACPI or in case if the kernel booted in non DT/ACPI mode
> > > it will use a filter lookup table and retrieves the needed information
> > > from
> > > the dma_filter_map provided by the DMA drivers.
> >
> > That sounds right, for the third case would the arch, driver or someone else
> > configure this?
>
> The typical case is for the configuration to be defined in arch or platform
> code and passed down to the dmaengine driver.
>
> I just noticed that the text above (and probably the code too) should
> be changed so we always fall back to this. There are cases where the
> platform is booted with DT in principle, but the DMA engine does not
> (yet) use DT and still wants to be converted. I think we can easily
> handle that case by always trying this if the other methods fail.

I agree that this makes sense, not just for DT cases but ACPI as well

> > > This legacy mode needs changes in platform code, in dmaengine drivers and
> > > finally the dmaengine user drivers can be converted:
> >
> > Are you marking the current APIs as dericated in the end of this series
>
> I think we practically stopped marking things as deprecated in general.
> Per Linus decree, whenever we want to get rid of something, we should
> instead change all users in tree and then remove the API, expecting
> driver maintainers to do something just because you marked it as deprecated
> often doesn't work.

Yes but while we do conversion we don't know if new users get added which use
old API..

> I can help out converting a few platforms, maybe one interface at a time.

Great yes we all will have to chip in and start removing these, i will try
doing few after new year

Am sure Andy can chip in as well :)

--
~Vinod