---- Original Message ----- From: "David Brownell" <davi...@pacbell.net>

On Sunday 05 July 2009, Hemanth V wrote:
Do you see any major changes required to support
slave mode in the SPI core driver.

There *is* no such thing as a "SPI core driver"...

I was referring to

spi.c - SPI init/core code

We are able to use the existing interface for slave mode also, but
some APIs/ Structures could be made generic.

Three things are obvious:

- A spi_master is not a slave side driver!

Yes a more generic or new structure would be good,
but the current one does work for slave mode also.

- Control model would need to be inverted
   * Chip select would be one input,
     not N outputs
   * No clock rate controls at all

Conditional checks for slave/master mode have been added in
the driver where required.

   * latency issues ... driver can't necessarily
     respond quickly enough to guarantee no data
     loss (FIFOs help)

We currently support both FIFO and DMA for
slave mode

   * Can't re-use /dev/spidev*
   * Request queue would have a very different role

- Some primitives are likely missing, for flow
  control (when hardware has a READY handshake)

I think a few proposals for how to handle slave
side have been circulated.

So would it be possible to merge the slave support also for
now, and could be modified to support the new slave interface
as and when available.