I don't think defconfig changes are prohibited now. If I understand
correctly, Linus just hates the fact that there is a big percentage of
patches for defconfigs. Maybe he wants us to hold these, and better
provide higher percentage of actual code changes.

What about holding defconfig changes in a separate branch, and just send
them for upstream once in a while, specially if there's a big quantity of
them in the queue?

IMHO, defconfigs are just meant to make us life easier, but changes to them
should _never_ be a fix/solution to any problem, and therefore I understand
that those aren't a priority over regressions.

Regards,
Sergio