Hi Charu,

I saw it as well, and was a little bit surprised at first.
But if you look carefully the rational, it makes sense if you do not take care
about the content of the cover-letter.

   > Please don't do this.  There is no facility in the git tree to carry
   > changelog-only changesets such as this (or at least, we don't do that) so
   > the information in the introductory email will be lost.
   >
   > So I end up copying and pasting your nice introduction into the
   > changelog for the first patch, so it gets into git.  I'll follow it with
   > the text

Here the concern is that some important information can be in the cover-letter
but not in the patch changelog, so they will be lost.
That issue does not appear if you use the cover-letter only to summarize the
patches changelog and to provide the history or the various patch series
revision.
At the end the history and the patch series revision should no go into the
changelog anyway, so it is perfectly fine to lose them.

Bottom-line, keep doing cover-letter to summarize the series, but do not put
information that should belong to the patch changelog only.

Regards,
Benoit
Texas Instruments France SA, 821 Avenue Jack Kilby, 06270 Villeneuve Loubet.
036 420 040 R.C.S Antibes. Capital de EUR 753.920