David Brownell <davi...@pacbell.net> writes:

> So to recapitulate ... you're agreeing with me on my key point --
> that ARM1156, a V6T2 core with Thumb2 support (used in fact to
> introduce Thumb2), should work for some in-kernel Thumb2 usage,
> degree TBD, but obviously the v7 cores are more capable (with SIMD
> support in T2, etc).

The ARM1156 implements the full Thumb2 instruction set, exactly the
same as in v7 except for ThumbEE and features new to v7 in general.

> But the updated reason you gave for not allowing V6T2 is that it's
> an uncommon architecture (one core, not widely manufactured today)
> ... not impossibility.

The architecture being uncommon is not in my opinion cause to make
life harder than necessary for whomever might some day want to add
support for it.

Does the patch solve any real problem today?

--
Måns Rullgård
m...@mansr.com