On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Colin Cross <ccr...@google.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 11:50 PM, MyungJoo Ham <myungjoo....@samsung.com>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 3:44 PM, Colin Cross <ccr...@google.com> wrote:

>>> That sounds like a very strange api, when what you really mean is
>>> clk_set_min_rate or clk_set_max_rate.
>>
>> Essentially, that's what needed.
>> However, with clk_set_min/max_rate, don't we need to let another
>> device to be consumer of other devices' clocks? Not just introducing a
>> device to other devices?
>
> Yes, but that's effectively what you're doing through a backwards api
> anyways.  The question is, for these complicated clock scenarios where
> the final frequency of a clock depends on so many factors, should that
> control go through the clock framework, or through some sort of global
> clock governor (which is where OPP would reappear).

In the use cases of runtime clock setting by devfreq or other devices
mentioned above, we are controlling the device's performance with the
representative clock of the device, not a specific clock among the
clocks that the device has. For a device "A" with clock "a1" and "a2",
another device "B" would not control both "a1" and "a2" directly to
get the guaranteed performance from "A". Besides, "B" should not do so
if there are specific orders, delays, and other controls for "A" to
properly change performance.

Therefore, my answer is that it would be preferred to control through
some wrapper/interface/or anything that is connected to the device of
the controlled clocks (and let the device's callback or something
control its clocks), not to control through clock framework directly.
In this version of devfreq+OPP, these are handled by the "target"
callback.

Cheers!
- MyungJoo
--