On Thu, Sep 1, 2011 at 9:39 AM, Paul Walmsley <p...@pwsan.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Guenter Roeck wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 08:36:43PM -0400, Paul Walmsley wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Some comments.
>> >
>> > On Wed, 31 Aug 2011, Keerthy wrote:
>> >
>> [ ... ]

>> > These should be conditionally compiled out if sysfs isn't compiled in.
>> >
>> The whole point of the hwmon subsystem is to expose hardware monitoring
>> information
>> to userland using sysfs. hwmon without sysfs doesn't make sense.
>>
>> So, if anything, it might make sense to disable the entire hwmon tree if
>> sysfs is disabled.
>> But please no conditionals in the code.
>
> Hmm.  This IP block is more than just a sensor.  It also can interrupt the
> CPU and/or trigger a GPIO line (to shut down the chip) if the chip
> temperature crosses some thresholds.  On some OMAPs, the thresholds are
> fixed; on others, they are software-programmable.  That functionality
> shouldn't require sysfs; it's almost closer to an x86 MCE.

The TSHUT thresholds are not even exposed through the sysfs nodes.
This driver only creates sysfs nodes for TALERT  thresholds.

> So based on your comments, it sounds like we should move that part of the
> code to a different driver, and just leave the basic software thermal
> monitoring here?

What part of code should be moved?
This driver does just the basic hardware monitoring and exposes
configurable thresholds for t_hot and t_cold.
This does not include t_shut configuration and handling. This is
a simple hardware monitoring driver which does not cater to
Thermal management. That is being discussed separately in other
thread.

--
Regards and Thanks,
Keerthy