On 11/28/2012 07:13 PM, the mail apparently from Roger Quadros included:
On 11/27/2012 09:22 PM, Andy Green wrote:
On 11/28/2012 02:09 AM, the mail apparently from Alan Stern included:
On Wed, 28 Nov 2012, Andy Green wrote:

Greg's advice was simply not to rely on pathnames in sysfs because they
aren't fixed in stone.  That leaves plenty of other ways to approach
this problem.

It's sage advice, but there is zero code provided in my patches that
"relies on pathnames in sysfs".

In your 1/5 patch, _device_path_generate() concatenates device name
strings, starting from a device root and separating elements with '/'
characters.  Isn't that the same as a sysfs pathname?

It's nothing to do with sysfs... yes some unrelated bits of sysfs also
walk the device path.  If we want to talk about how fragile the device
path is as an id scheme over time we need to talk about likelihood of
individual device names changing, not "sysfs".  Anyway -->

Basically, what you want is for something related to device A (the
regulator or the GPIO) to happen whenever device B (the ehci-omap.0
platform device) is bound to a driver.  The most straightforward way to
arrange this is for A's driver to have a callback that is invoked
whenever B is bound or unbound.  The most straightforward way to
arrange _that_ is to allow each platform_device to have a list of
callbacks.

Sorry I didn't really understand this proposal yet.  You want "A", the
regulator, driver to grow a callback function that gets called when the
targeted platform_device ("B", ehci-omap.0) probe happens.  Could you
expand what the callback prototype or new members in the struct might
look like?  It's your tuple thing or we pass it an opaque pointer that
is the struct regulator * or suchlike?

Well, it won't be exactly the same as the tuple thing because no
strings will be involved, but it would be similar.  The callback would
receive an opaque pointer (presumably to the regulator) and a device
pointer (the B device).

OK.  So I try to sketch it out iteractively to try to get in sync:

device.h:

     enum asset_event {
         AE_PROBED,
         AE_REMOVED
     };

     struct device_asset {
         char *name; /* name of regulator, clock, etc */
         void *asset; /* regulator, clock, etc */
         int (*handler)(struct device *dev_owner, enum asset_event
asset_event, struct device_asset *asset);
     };

     struct device {
         struct device_asset *assets;
     };

drivers/base/dd.c | really_probe():

     struct device_asset *asset;
     asset = dev->assets;
     while (asset && asset->name) {
         if (asset->handler(dev, AE_PROBED, asset)) {
             /* clean up and bail */
         }
         asset++;
     }

     /* do probe */

drivers/base/dd.c | __device_release_driver:  (is this really the best
place to oppose probe()?)

     struct device_asset *asset;

     /* call device ->remove() */
     asset = dev->assets;
     while (asset && asset->name) {
         asset->handler(dev, AE_REMOVED, asset);
         asset++;
     }

board file:

     static struct regulator myreg = {
         .name = "mydevice-regulator",
     };

     static struct device_asset mydevice_assets[] = {
         {
             .name = "mydevice-regulator",
             .handler = regulator_default_asset_handler,
         },
         { }
     };

     static struct platform_device mydevice = {
         .dev = {
             .assets = mydevice_assets,
         },
     };

 From Pandaboard's point of view, is mydevice supposed to be referring to
ehci-omap, LAN95xx or something else?

Strictly speaking, the regulator doesn't belongs neither to ehci-omap
nor LAN95xx. It belongs to a power domain on the board. And user should
have control to switch it OFF when required without hampering operation
of ehci-omap, so that the other USB ports are still usable.

I'd prefer to deal with that after a try#1 with regulator, I didn't see any code about power domain in there right now. There's a lot to get consensus on already with this series.

Notice that these assets are generic, I will provide clk and regulator handlers with try#1, and working examples for Panda case with both, but presumably power domain can fold into it as well.

Since I am on usb-next and there's nothing to be seen about power domains, what is the situation with that support?

-Andy

--
Andy Green | TI Landing Team Leader
Linaro.org │ Open source software for ARM SoCs | Follow Linaro