Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2018 10:33:06 -0400
From: Matt Vander Werf <mvand...@nd.edu>
To: Trond Hasle Amundsen <t.h.amund...@usit.uio.no>
Cc: linux-poweredge@dell.com
Subject: Re: [Linux-PowerEdge] RPM repo GPG key changed

I can confirm that it works on some systems but not on others when using Red
Hat's latest version of libsmbios and smbios-utils-bin (2.3.3-6) on RHEL 7.
When using the latest versions from Dell (2.3.1-3013.13047), it works
everywhere. I haven't tested the versions in EPEL.

I've found that on older 11G systems, the Red Hat versions don't work and I see
the same things that Trond is seeing. This includes R815 systems and
R810 systems (mostly all we have left from 11G). But on 12G and 13G systems the
Red Hat versions work just fine. Presumably it works with 14G systems too, but
we don't have any 14G systems up and running to test on yet.
@Trond: What systems are you using that you're seeing the issues on? 11G
systems by chance?

So, it has something to do with the hardware itself that's not supported
correctly with Red Hat's versions (but works fine with the latest Dell
versions). Not sure is this is a Dell fix or Red Hat fix honestly (I would
think Dell though). I can provide more info about systems I tested with, if
that would help Dell.

What Trond says is correct about the need for the new libsmbiosc++ package
(see: https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3409271#comment-1307921...if
anyone can't view this, let me know and I can send along the contents of the
comment to the list). From my understanding, it looks there are some fixes that
will be included in a new libsmbios release from Red Hat (possibly for the
issues we're seeing with 11G systems, if it's already fixed in the newer EPEL
version), which will eventually obsolete the EPEL libsmbios/smbios-utils-bin
packages. So, sounds like there's still some planned work on this before
everything works correctly.

Thanks.

--
Matt Vander Werf
HPC System Administrator

On Mon, Jun 25, 2018 at 9:41 AM, Trond Hasle Amundsen <
t.h.amund...@usit.uio.no> wrote:

> Patrick Boutilier <bouti...@ednet.ns.ca> writes:
>
> >> Installed smbios packages:
> >>
> >>    # rpm -qa|grep smbios
> >>    libsmbios-2.3.3-6.el7.x86_64
> >>    libsmbiosc++-2.3.1-3013.13047.el7.x86_64
> >>    smbios-utils-bin-2.3.3-6.el7.x86_64
> >
> > Works fine here. I do have slightly more recent smibio rpms though.
> >
> > rpm -qa|grep smbios
> > smbios-utils-bin-2.3.3-7.el7.x86_64
> > libsmbios-2.3.3-7.el7.x86_64
>
> Yep, presumably those are from EPEL. However, since the libsmbios
> package is now available through Red Hat official repositories, the
> EPEL packages should be retired according to the EPEL policy. Packages
> in EPEL should not conflict or override official Red Hat packages.
>
> Which means that the Dell packages should be made to function with the
> Red Hat packages. It seems that the Red Hat libsmbios package is
> missing some functionality, and that is the reasoning behind the new
> libsmbiosc++ package from Dell.
>
> I've confirmed that it works with the (soon-to-be-retired) EPEL
> packages, but it doesn't work with the new Red Hat libsmbios + Dell
> libsmbiosc++ combo. Hopefully it's an easy fix for Dell :)
>
> Regards,
> --
> Trond Hasle Amundsen <t.h.amund...@usit.uio.no>

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------------------------------

Message: 2
> I can confirm that it works on some systems but not on others when
> using Red Hat's latest version of libsmbios and smbios-utils-bin
> (2.3.3-6) on RHEL 7. When using the latest versions from Dell
> (2.3.1-3013.13047), it works everywhere. I haven't tested the versions
> in EPEL.
>
> I've found that on older 11G systems, the Red Hat versions don't work
> and I see the same things that Trond is seeing. This includes R815
> systems and R810 systems (mostly all we have left from 11G). But on
> 12G and 13G systems the Red Hat versions work just fine. Presumably it
> works with 14G systems too, but we don't have any 14G systems up and
> running to test on yet. @Trond: What systems are you using that you're
> seeing the issues on? 11G systems by chance?

Yes, I've tested this on a couple of 11G systems.. Didn't think to test on
newer generations.

> So, it has something to do with the hardware itself that's not
> supported correctly with Red Hat's versions (but works fine with the
> latest Dell versions). Not sure is this is a Dell fix or Red Hat fix
> honestly (I would think Dell though). I can provide more info about
> systems I tested with, if that would help Dell.
>
> What Trond says is correct about the need for the new libsmbiosc++
> package (see:
> https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3409271#comment-1307921...if
> anyone can't view this, let me know and I can send along the contents
> of the comment to the list). From my understanding, it looks there are
> some fixes that will be included in a new libsmbios release from Red
> Hat (possibly for the issues we're seeing with 11G systems, if it's
> already fixed in the newer EPEL version), which will eventually
> obsolete the EPEL libsmbios/smbios-utils-bin packages. So, sounds like
> there's still some planned work on this before everything works
> correctly.

Hmm.. If this is considered a bug or feature enhancement in the Red Hat package
it could take some time before we have a fix. Red Hat usually only release
(non-important) bug fixes as part of a major upgrade, meaning we may have to
wait until RHEL 7.6.

But with the EPEL packages working for 11G and the official Red Hat packages
working for 12G and newer, and the Dell versions working everywhere, at least
we have something that works. That's very good news! Thanks Matt :)

Regards,
--
Trond Hasle Amundsen <t.h.amund...@usit.uio.no>