Following up.

I checked two classes of servers:
R730xd - rear disk 58°C
R740xd2 - rear disk 33°C

That's a huge difference. The fan speeds were similar, between 10,300 and
11,160 rpm. I don't think this accounts for the difference in temperature.
Perhaps the airflow of the system has been improved in the R740. But there is
one significant difference: in the R740xd2, the rear disks are SSDs, where the
R730xd have spinning disks.

Cheers,
Onno