On Sunday March 4, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have a two-disk RAID 1 test array that I was playing with. I then
> decided to hot add a third disk using ``raidhotadd''. The disk was added
> to the array, but as far as I could see, the RAID software did not start
> a reconstruction of that newly added disk. A skimmed through the driver
> code a bit, and could not really locate the point where the
> reconstruction was initiated. Am I missing something?

The third disk that you added became a hot spare.
You cannot add an extra active drive to a RAID array without using
mkraid.

In you case, you could edit /etc/raidtab to list the third strive as a
"failed-disk" instead of a "raid-disk", and set the "nr-taid-disks" to
3.

Then run mkraid.  It shouldn't destroy any data, but the raid system
should automatically start building data onto the new drive.

NeilBrown