Hi,

I have been doing some performance checks on my RAID 5 system.

The system is

5 Seagate Cheetahs X15
Linux 2.4.2

I am using IOtest 3.0 on /dev/md0
My chunk size is 1M...

When I do random reads of 64K blobs using one process, I get 100
reads/sec, which is the same as doing random reads on one disk. So I was
quite happy with that.

My next test was to do random reads using ten processes, I expected 500
reads/sec, however, I only got 250 reads/sec.

This to me doesn't seem right??? Does anyone know why this is the case?

BTW, I also decided to do 512 byte reads, and I do get figures of 500
reads/sec (however for one process I did get 200 reads/sec).

Cheers,
Kal.

p.s. If you think there is something wrong with IOtest 3.0 then please
say so...