On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 07:46:29PM +0300, Michael Tokarev wrote:
Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
On 2005-01-23T16:13:05, Luca Berra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

the first one adds an auto=dev parameter
rationale: udev does not create /dev/md* device files, so we need a way
to create them when assembling the md device.

Am I missing something but shouldn't this be fixed by having udev + hotplug create the /dev entry correctly?

There's a chicken-n-eggs problem here. In order for mdadm to create an md device (so it will be noticed by udev/hotplug), it have to open the control device, which, in case of md, is just any /dev/mdN. But before first array gets assembled, there's NO mdN entries in /dev.
exactly

mdadm tries to open /dev/md1 to get control interface, which isn't
created automatically. When an array actually gets created, it will
be noticied by hotplug/udev as it should be (provided everything is
set up correctly ofcourse).

I believe the correct solution to this would be implementing a char-misc /dev/mdadm device that mdadm would use instead of the block device, like device-mapper does. Alas i have no time for this in the forseable future.

BTW, is there a real need to do that?  In theory, one might just
create the necessary /dev/md1 from within startup script...
I would have done it in a script if --auto was not implemented, the
changes to have auto=dev are not big, mostly man page and indenting.

Regards,
L.

--
Luca Berra -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]